The Trump Presidency - Making America Great Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Trump Presidency - Making America Great Again

Trump's claim about Christian refugees is bogus and a perfect example of spinning numbers to fit a narrative.

You look at the numbers and see way fewer Christian refugees from Syria than Muslim refugees and say it's impossible for Christian refugees to get into the United States when the reality is that THERE ARE WAY FEWER CHRISTIANS IN SYRIA THAN MUSLIMS.

Christians make up like 5% of the population. So there will be far fewer Christian refugees than Muslim refugees. IT'S CALLED MATH.

Guess it's no mystery why the states that are so bad at math are also the states that always go red at election time.

Comment

Originally posted by RT View Post
      Trump's claim about Christian refugees is bogus and a perfect example of spinning numbers to fit a narrative.

You look at the numbers and see way fewer Christian refugees from Syria than Muslim refugees and say it's impossible for Christian refugees to get into the United States when the reality is that THERE ARE WAY FEWER CHRISTIANS IN SYRIA THAN MUSLIMS.

Christians make up like 5% of the population. So there will be far fewer Christian refugees than Muslim refugees. IT'S CALLED MATH.

Guess it's no mystery why the states that are so bad at math are also the states that always go red at election time.
      Like I said in my post; it falls apart under even the slightest bit of scrutiny.

They're going to have fun attempting to defend this in court. It's going to be hard to defend it as not discriminating against Muslims when one of his top advisors said told him to do just that (I guess you could make a defense that he wanted to violate the constitution but was prevented from doing so). It's also going to be hard to argue that it was carefully thought out when administration officials can't even agree on what it does.
      Last edited by T-Bone; 01-30-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Like I said in my post; it falls apart under even the slightest bit of scrutiny.

They're going to have fun attempting to defend this in court. It's going to be hard to defend it as not discriminating against Muslims when one of his top advisors said told him to do just that (I guess you could make a defense that he wanted to violate the constitution but was prevented from doing so). It's also going to be hard to argue that it was carefully thought out when administration officials can't even agree on what it does.

Comment

Except that Christians make up 10% of the population in Syria and were only 0.5% of the refugees accepted from there. So you might want to take your own advice on that one.

Comment

Except that Christians make up 10% of the population in Syria and were only 0.5% of the refugees accepted from there. So you might want to take your own advice on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real LT View Post
              I really don't.

Read this and get back to me: http://www.npr.org/2017/01/29/512305...bigger-picture

Key points:
              -Numbers referenced showing low Christian refugees were from 2010.
              -In 2016 the numbers of Christian and Muslim refugees from the area were almost equal.
              -Assad has been protecting Christians, which is just one reason the number of Christian refugees in the past is low.

Low Christian population = low Christian refugees. Figure it out.

Comment

I really don't.

Read this and get back to me: http://www.npr.org/2017/01/29/512305...bigger-picture

Key points:
                -In 2016 the numbers of Christian and Muslim refugees from the area were almost equal.
                -Assad has been protecting Christians, which is just one reason the number of Christian refugees in the past is low.

Comment

I really don't.

Key points:

The reasoning that article uses to say it's a Muslim ban is bunk. Find me a single Christian nation that is actively persecuting Muslims to the standard required for refugee status. You WON'T. For that matter you won't a Hindu or Buddhist nation either. Israel you MIGHT be able to argue, but YMMV on that one. The overwhelming majority of Muslims being persecuted are being persecuted BY OTHER MUSLIMS.

Second the number given for the refugees is the total amount taken, NOT just the ones from Syria (which is what were talking about) The actual number of Christian refugees taken from Syria is still FAR below their representation in the Syrian population

Comment

I really don't.

Key points:

The reasoning that article uses to say it's a Muslim ban is bunk. Find me a single Christian nation that is actively persecuting Muslims to the standard required for refugee status. You WON'T. For that matter you won't a Hindu or Buddhist nation either. Israel you MIGHT be able to argue, but YMMV on that one. The overwhelming majority of Muslims being persecuted are being persecuted BY OTHER MUSLIMS.

Second the number given for the refugees is the total amount taken, NOT just the ones from Syria (which is what were talking about) The actual number of Christian refugees taken from Syria is still FAR below their representation in the Syrian population

Comment

I don't understand the relevance of this to the conversation of what refugees are coming and is my biggest problem with Trump's EO. I'm not understanding why the religion of those persecuted (or the religion of those doing the persecuting) should be relevant to the goal of accepting refugees to save them from persecution. No one is arguing the idea that there are a significant number of Muslims in Syria being persecuted. What makes a Christian life saved more valuable to us?

Comment

I don't understand the relevance of this to the conversation of what refugees are coming and is my biggest problem with Trump's EO. I'm not understanding why the religion of those persecuted (or the religion of those doing the persecuting) should be relevant to the goal of accepting refugees to save them from persecution. No one is arguing the idea that there are a significant number of Muslims in Syria being persecuted. What makes a Christian life saved more valuable to us?

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post

IMO not really so much a matter of value than practicality.

A. Christians assimilate easier to our way of life

B. ISIS has been known to infiltrate Western countries using refugees. They have a far more difficult time using Christian refugees to do so.
                          Last edited by The Real LT; 01-31-2017, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post

IMO not really so much a matter of value than practicality.

A. Christians assimilate easier to our way of life

B. ISIS has been known to infiltrate Western countries using refugees. They have a far more difficult time using Christian refugees to do so.

Comment

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...cid=spartandhp

I know Trump voters are going "Hell yeah!!!" about this, but lets be real here. Yates was an Obama appointee and had absolutely NOTHING to lose. She was going to be gone the second Sessions is confirmed, and getting fired for defying Trump is going to make her a hero in the circles she runs in. She will have NO problem finding employment and likely even hitting the lecture circuit after this. Well played Miss Yates...well played.
                              Last edited by The Real LT; 01-31-2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...cid=spartandhp

I know Trump voters are going "Hell yeah!!!" about this, but lets be real here. Yates was an Obama appointee and had absolutely NOTHING to lose. She was going to be gone the second Sessions is confirmed, and getting fired for defying Trump is going to make her a hero in the circles she runs in. She will have NO problem finding employment and likely even hitting the lecture circuit after this. Well played Miss Yates...well played.

Comment

Working...
                                X