• Re: What Games Are You Playing?

Domestic violence is not awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
      It can be...it can be.

Originally posted by Black Dynamite
      Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
        It can be...it can be.

Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

Comment

Star Ocean is a game I've attempted to play 3 times and always find myself putting down.

I can never put a handle on why either, so even now I have this urge to figure whether it was me or if the game just handled poorly.

I do recall there's one section early on in the piece that I found frustrating. It's in the mine and there's a mini-game where you've got to use these creatures to take you to the next destination. I can't recall specifically why I had trouble with it, whether it was because it was completely random or I kept getting lost in the area but I'd usually move on and play something else.

To date myself, the last time I played it, Jason Schwartzman was promoting Bored To Death on a Late Night Show. Bored to Death premiered in 2009...so there you go. I imagine I must have played it after finishing Persona 4 since I bought that the day I saw Dragon Ball Evolution at the theatres.

Comment

Star Ocean is a game I've attempted to play 3 times and always find myself putting down.

I can never put a handle on why either, so even now I have this urge to figure whether it was me or if the game just handled poorly.

I do recall there's one section early on in the piece that I found frustrating. It's in the mine and there's a mini-game where you've got to use these creatures to take you to the next destination. I can't recall specifically why I had trouble with it, whether it was because it was completely random or I kept getting lost in the area but I'd usually move on and play something else.

To date myself, the last time I played it, Jason Schwartzman was promoting Bored To Death on a Late Night Show. Bored to Death premiered in 2009...so there you go. I imagine I must have played it after finishing Persona 4 since I bought that the day I saw Dragon Ball Evolution at the theatres.

Comment

Finished up Whistleblower, just more of what Outlast was, I think the layout of a few sections was a bit more frustrating, and it seemed like it was more in darkness (so looking through the camera) than not, which could get a bit migraine inducing, but still a fun game.

Since RE7 didn't arrive, and I've still got time to kill during the day, figured I'd jump to Hitman 2, a game I've never beaten, I rented it back in the day, but I didn't quite understand it, didn't even get past the first level before returning it. Playing it now, it's taking some getting used to with it's different, aneasthetic is pretty much useless for Silent Assassin runs, so you have to remain unseen, and procure cloths on site, which does make for a bit more of a challenge. But also the way the level's are laid out without the ability to clamber over short ledges causes some issues. In the second level, I did the entire mission in my standard suit without being seen, but it's impossible to escape that way without being seen, you NEED to have a soldier's uniform, all of the exits are covered, and the guards have far sight and amazing peripheral, practically behind them and they could see me. Still, do love a challenge, I look forward to beating the rest of it. Haven't played Contracts in years either, Blood Money has been my go to, despite owning Contracts on PS2. Now that I got them on PS3, I'll probably play them more often. Also got Absolute since it was only 4 bucks, I know it's my least favorite and screwed up some things that weren't broken, but I guess I could give it another go.

Comment

Finished up Whistleblower, just more of what Outlast was, I think the layout of a few sections was a bit more frustrating, and it seemed like it was more in darkness (so looking through the camera) than not, which could get a bit migraine inducing, but still a fun game.

Since RE7 didn't arrive, and I've still got time to kill during the day, figured I'd jump to Hitman 2, a game I've never beaten, I rented it back in the day, but I didn't quite understand it, didn't even get past the first level before returning it. Playing it now, it's taking some getting used to with it's different, aneasthetic is pretty much useless for Silent Assassin runs, so you have to remain unseen, and procure cloths on site, which does make for a bit more of a challenge. But also the way the level's are laid out without the ability to clamber over short ledges causes some issues. In the second level, I did the entire mission in my standard suit without being seen, but it's impossible to escape that way without being seen, you NEED to have a soldier's uniform, all of the exits are covered, and the guards have far sight and amazing peripheral, practically behind them and they could see me. Still, do love a challenge, I look forward to beating the rest of it. Haven't played Contracts in years either, Blood Money has been my go to, despite owning Contracts on PS2. Now that I got them on PS3, I'll probably play them more often. Also got Absolute since it was only 4 bucks, I know it's my least favorite and screwed up some things that weren't broken, but I guess I could give it another go.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pete View Post
                  In contrast, I found it extremely difficult to put down. I was aiming for a relaxing one or two hours of gaming. Nearly six hours later, I finally switch the PS2 off So far the lion's share of the game has been cutscenes and story, but the voice acting is great and the characters are so engaging that I had a blast. They way they've injected medieval/traditional fantasy environments into a futuristic sci-fi universe is pretty clever. Battling is super fast and in some of the tougher fights it's hard for me to tell what is going on. The AI-controlled players are far superior to me at the moment. You need a lot of practice, and I imagine it will only become more complicated when I start unlocking more abilities. But it's extremely fun.

I also love the emphasis on exploration. The game has a map completion feature which rewards you with valuable items if you uncover 99% of the map. To do this you have to hug every single wall and enter every single nook and cranny. It's the kind of thing I like to do anyway, so it's great that I'm getting rewarded for it. Plus there are no random battles and the monsters are easy to evade most of the time. It's great.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pete View Post
                    In contrast, I found it extremely difficult to put down. I was aiming for a relaxing one or two hours of gaming. Nearly six hours later, I finally switch the PS2 off So far the lion's share of the game has been cutscenes and story, but the voice acting is great and the characters are so engaging that I had a blast. They way they've injected medieval/traditional fantasy environments into a futuristic sci-fi universe is pretty clever. Battling is super fast and in some of the tougher fights it's hard for me to tell what is going on. The AI-controlled players are far superior to me at the moment. You need a lot of practice, and I imagine it will only become more complicated when I start unlocking more abilities. But it's extremely fun.

I also love the emphasis on exploration. The game has a map completion feature which rewards you with valuable items if you uncover 99% of the map. To do this you have to hug every single wall and enter every single nook and cranny. It's the kind of thing I like to do anyway, so it's great that I'm getting rewarded for it. Plus there are no random battles and the monsters are easy to evade most of the time. It's great.

Comment

I enjoyed Till the End of Time, but it's been a long time since I've played it. I've got a serious backlog of RPG's to play through. I still need to complete Final Fantasy 4, 5, 9, 10, 12 and 13. Plus a load of RPG's on my PS2 HDD...

Comment

I enjoyed Till the End of Time, but it's been a long time since I've played it. I've got a serious backlog of RPG's to play through. I still need to complete Final Fantasy 4, 5, 9, 10, 12 and 13. Plus a load of RPG's on my PS2 HDD...

Comment

Played a big ol' chunk of RE7, so far it's a damn fine game, good atmosphere, true survival horror.

I think the gun mechanics are kind of shit, not terrible, just something off about them. Definitely the game's weakest trait.

Comment

Played a big ol' chunk of RE7, so far it's a damn fine game, good atmosphere, true survival horror.

I think the gun mechanics are kind of shit, not terrible, just something off about them. Definitely the game's weakest trait.

Comment

Finally got around to beating Final Fantasy Tactics.

In the end, I spoiled my playthrough by making my team too powerful. Teleporting Dual Wielding Ninjas made short work of everything and took me out of the story. While it felt like I was playing on easy mode, I loved the freedom of being able to make those units and that's exactly why this is one of the best games I've ever played.

The PSP may have been an unreliable piece of hardware, but I loved it for giving us access to all these amazing PS1 JRPGs that never came out here. FFT is a classic and I'd put it alongside the Disgaea series as a must-play for SRPG fans.
                              [MENTION=21993]Emperor[/MENTION] it's great to hear you're enjoying Star Ocean. I loaded up my save the other day just to see how far I was into it. I'd roughly played 7 hours and found myself at some fairly large mining town. I had no sense of direction, so I went outside to some map I'd never been to before and fought some soldiers and mushrooms. One aspect of the game that threw me a little was movement in the game. Everything feels incredibly loose, so it's difficult to get caught up in the action when it feels like your player is skating around.

Comment

Finally got around to beating Final Fantasy Tactics.

In the end, I spoiled my playthrough by making my team too powerful. Teleporting Dual Wielding Ninjas made short work of everything and took me out of the story. While it felt like I was playing on easy mode, I loved the freedom of being able to make those units and that's exactly why this is one of the best games I've ever played.

The PSP may have been an unreliable piece of hardware, but I loved it for giving us access to all these amazing PS1 JRPGs that never came out here. FFT is a classic and I'd put it alongside the Disgaea series as a must-play for SRPG fans.
                                [MENTION=21993]Emperor[/MENTION] it's great to hear you're enjoying Star Ocean. I loaded up my save the other day just to see how far I was into it. I'd roughly played 7 hours and found myself at some fairly large mining town. I had no sense of direction, so I went outside to some map I'd never been to before and fought some soldiers and mushrooms. One aspect of the game that threw me a little was movement in the game. Everything feels incredibly loose, so it's difficult to get caught up in the action when it feels like your player is skating around.

Comment

Working...
                                X