X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Games Are You Playing?

Originally posted by Raven* View Post
    Maybe? Are you talking about the place with the stray demon near the Old Wolf of Farron?
    Nope. Two optional bosses and the opening to the DLC.
    Currently Playing:
    Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

Comment

Not sure Terrarria is quite for me, I'll give it a deeper go sometime, maybe once I really get going I'll find it's charm, but doesn't quite feel like my thing. Only$5 so not a terrible loss.
      Originally posted by Black Dynamite
      Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

Comment

Not sure Terrarria is quite for me, I'll give it a deeper go sometime, maybe once I really get going I'll find it's charm, but doesn't quite feel like my thing. Only$5 so not a terrible loss.
        Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

Comment

Yakuza Zero should have arrived while I am at work

Yakuza 2 is in my top 5 games ever and everyone seems to be saying Yakuza Zero is the best of the series. Thus, you can imagine how hyped I am

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Comment

Yakuza Zero should have arrived while I am at work

Yakuza 2 is in my top 5 games ever and everyone seems to be saying Yakuza Zero is the best of the series. Thus, you can imagine how hyped I am

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Comment

Finished Ratchet and Clank today. Over the last two days I've played it for 6-8 hours. It's not because I'm in love with the game and can't get enough of it. It's because I wanted to finish it and move on ASAP. It's not a bad game. It's quite fun. But it's not great, and it has far more frustrating moments than the average platformer. It's a solid 5/10 game. Nothing more.

The story and characters were a bit better than the average platformer (the main villain in the game is a god-tier cunt. Good job on that, Insomniac), but the meshing of platformer and 3rd person shooter gameplay didn't make it any more fun. If anything, it made it a bit less fun. One problem is that there are far too many guns. Half of them are completely useless except for very specific situations in which a better gun can be used almost as effectively. Having to constantly go to the menu to change your equipped weapon (because you can't always have every weapon/gadget you want in the quick select menu, and using that menu doesn't pause the action so you can get hit while changing weapons) was annoying. The second problem is that the game had a habit of throwing really annoying enemies at you, and then spamming them at you throughout the level in greater numbers and in more difficult situations. The last three or four levels in a row were just that. The gameplay got monotonous, you make mistakes and die, go right back to the start of the level or a checkpoint you reached half an hour ago, get frustrated and thus make more mistakes. Repeat ad nauseam. The poor automatic camera didn't help. The zoom level would change constantly as you move, making it difficult to judge the reach of your attacks and those of your enemies. It would also zoom right in at the point where your character is surrounded by enemies, forcing you to attack spots off-camera like a blindfolded wrestler trying to grab his enemy. Maybe that was a deliberate design choice, but it was a shitty one.

It's a pretty unforgiving game, more often than not for the wrong reasons. When I play a platformer I want a nice, fun, charming, relatively easy/relaxing gaming experience. Ratchet and Clank ticked most of those boxes, but especially not the last one, to the point where I was screaming curses throughout the last couple of levels.

I think I've burned myself out on platformers. I started up Super Mario World last week and found it extremely tedious. Running, jumping, running, jumping, what's the point? I need to sink my teeth into a super long RPG before I try another platformer.

Comment

Finished Ratchet and Clank today. Over the last two days I've played it for 6-8 hours. It's not because I'm in love with the game and can't get enough of it. It's because I wanted to finish it and move on ASAP. It's not a bad game. It's quite fun. But it's not great, and it has far more frustrating moments than the average platformer. It's a solid 5/10 game. Nothing more.

The story and characters were a bit better than the average platformer (the main villain in the game is a god-tier cunt. Good job on that, Insomniac), but the meshing of platformer and 3rd person shooter gameplay didn't make it any more fun. If anything, it made it a bit less fun. One problem is that there are far too many guns. Half of them are completely useless except for very specific situations in which a better gun can be used almost as effectively. Having to constantly go to the menu to change your equipped weapon (because you can't always have every weapon/gadget you want in the quick select menu, and using that menu doesn't pause the action so you can get hit while changing weapons) was annoying. The second problem is that the game had a habit of throwing really annoying enemies at you, and then spamming them at you throughout the level in greater numbers and in more difficult situations. The last three or four levels in a row were just that. The gameplay got monotonous, you make mistakes and die, go right back to the start of the level or a checkpoint you reached half an hour ago, get frustrated and thus make more mistakes. Repeat ad nauseam. The poor automatic camera didn't help. The zoom level would change constantly as you move, making it difficult to judge the reach of your attacks and those of your enemies. It would also zoom right in at the point where your character is surrounded by enemies, forcing you to attack spots off-camera like a blindfolded wrestler trying to grab his enemy. Maybe that was a deliberate design choice, but it was a shitty one.

It's a pretty unforgiving game, more often than not for the wrong reasons. When I play a platformer I want a nice, fun, charming, relatively easy/relaxing gaming experience. Ratchet and Clank ticked most of those boxes, but especially not the last one, to the point where I was screaming curses throughout the last couple of levels.

I think I've burned myself out on platformers. I started up Super Mario World last week and found it extremely tedious. Running, jumping, running, jumping, what's the point? I need to sink my teeth into a super long RPG before I try another platformer.

Comment

I ended up getting enough Gamestop points that I got Yakuza 0 outright for basically free, technically I did put somewhere around 6 hours of work in for it, doing random surveys, but not all at once, so it really didn't feel like much.

Comment

I ended up getting enough Gamestop points that I got Yakuza 0 outright for basically free, technically I did put somewhere around 6 hours of work in for it, doing random surveys, but not all at once, so it really didn't feel like much.

Comment

• Re: What Games Are You Playing?

Originally posted by Emperor
                      When I play a platformer I want a nice, fun, charming, relatively easy/relaxing gaming experience.
                      Hmmmm...

I'm beginning to wrap my head around why we vary so much on the genre. I was raised on games like Donkey Kong Country 2, which for a lot of newcomers is often written off as too frustrating and challenging. It seems like you've got a different approach and appreciate other aspects which I respect but we're rarely on the same page on certain games (except for Crash and Shovel Knight, both games rock).

While it's probably a good idea to take a break, I'd be curious to get your thoughts on games like Yoshi's Island, Kirby, Wario Land, Mischief Makers, Tombal, Disney Magical Quest, the Starfy series, Megaman Zero series, the 2D Crash Bandicoot games, Klonoa etc. Not necessarily difficult or easy games for that matter, but games bursting with personality and charm that offer more than running and jumping which you seem tired of.

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor
                        When I play a platformer I want a nice, fun, charming, relatively easy/relaxing gaming experience.
                        Hmmmm...

I'm beginning to wrap my head around why we vary so much on the genre. I was raised on games like Donkey Kong Country 2, which for a lot of newcomers is often written off as too frustrating and challenging. It seems like you've got a different approach and appreciate other aspects which I respect but we're rarely on the same page on certain games (except for Crash and Shovel Knight, both games rock).

While it's probably a good idea to take a break, I'd be curious to get your thoughts on games like Yoshi's Island, Kirby, Wario Land, Mischief Makers, Tombal, Disney Magical Quest, the Starfy series, Megaman Zero series, the 2D Crash Bandicoot games, Klonoa etc. Not necessarily difficult or easy games for that matter, but games bursting with personality and charm that offer more than running and jumping which you seem tired of.

Comment

I played Kirby's Dreamland for the Game Boy when it came out. Loved it at the time. Kirby's Pinball is fantastic too. But my recent forays into Kirby have been unsuccessful. Nowadays I find the games far too slow and straightforward. The Wario Land games are also great. Don't remember how many were released for the Game Boy, but I played at least two of them when I was a kid/teenager. Now, though, I imagine I'd feel the same way as I do about Kirby.

Shovel Knight is a very challenging platformer, and a frustrating one, but the difficulty of the game comes from great level design (and sometimes trolly enemies), so I don't hold its difficulty against it. I feel like I'm in full control of my character in Shovel Knight. My fate is in my own hands. Whereas in Ratchet and Clank things like the camera prevented me from being in full control and many deaths felt like cheap bullshit. Shovel Knight is so much smoother in comparison. Hell, you have a ton of relics (gadgets) in that game too, but shuffling through them is a breeze and can be done at the same time as moving around without compromising your movement and combat too much.

There are 2D Crash games?!

Comment

I played Kirby's Dreamland for the Game Boy when it came out. Loved it at the time. Kirby's Pinball is fantastic too. But my recent forays into Kirby have been unsuccessful. Nowadays I find the games far too slow and straightforward. The Wario Land games are also great. Don't remember how many were released for the Game Boy, but I played at least two of them when I was a kid/teenager. Now, though, I imagine I'd feel the same way as I do about Kirby.

Shovel Knight is a very challenging platformer, and a frustrating one, but the difficulty of the game comes from great level design (and sometimes trolly enemies), so I don't hold its difficulty against it. I feel like I'm in full control of my character in Shovel Knight. My fate is in my own hands. Whereas in Ratchet and Clank things like the camera prevented me from being in full control and many deaths felt like cheap bullshit. Shovel Knight is so much smoother in comparison. Hell, you have a ton of relics (gadgets) in that game too, but shuffling through them is a breeze and can be done at the same time as moving around without compromising your movement and combat too much.

There are 2D Crash games?!

Comment

You will love Yoshi's Wooly World for the 3DS next month Emperor if you want an easy platformer. Will maybe get that game in the future on the go.

I am with Big Pete, I want a fun but challenging platformer. Kirby could never catch on to me because when I played Kirby 64, I found it extremely easy to just blow by, especially against the competition like the Banjo series and Conker on the N64. I love Jak 2 though I know you detest the game and then some but I am very surprised you did not like the 1st Ratchet and Clank. The guns are what make the game and series and make it so diverse.

Crash is so much harder than Ratchet and Clank, I am shocked you enjoy those games.
                              Currently Playing:

Comment

You will love Yoshi's Wooly World for the 3DS next month Emperor if you want an easy platformer. Will maybe get that game in the future on the go.

I am with Big Pete, I want a fun but challenging platformer. Kirby could never catch on to me because when I played Kirby 64, I found it extremely easy to just blow by, especially against the competition like the Banjo series and Conker on the N64. I love Jak 2 though I know you detest the game and then some but I am very surprised you did not like the 1st Ratchet and Clank. The guns are what make the game and series and make it so diverse.

Crash is so much harder than Ratchet and Clank, I am shocked you enjoy those games.
                                Currently Playing:

Comment

Working...
                                X