Nintendo Switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo Switch

For whatever reason, I couldn't edit the title of the previous thread, so let's make a new one as we count down the days until Nintendo go into detail about one of 2017's most compelling pieces of technology.

First Official Trailer
    Spoiler

Jimmy Fallon Spot
    Spoiler

Nintendo Press Event Details
    Japan - Friday, January 13th
    Venue Tokyo International Exchibition Centre

Re: Nintendo Switch

As we near the January 13th (12th for the US) Press Event, naturally more and more rumours emerge.

First off, there was the leak from my very own EB Games, that informed us that the Switch has a USB Type-C port, which means that you won't have to rely on Nintendo to provide you with portable chargers. It seems like a smart move right off the bat and a sign that Nintendo are willing to go in a new direction in order to be successful. Usually they'd be stubborn and stick to their own methods, so it's nice to see them become more consumer friendly.

Another story doing the rounds comes from Eurogamer's Tom Phillips and it concerns the Switch's Virtual Console. The latest virtual console will be the first to support Nintendo GameCube titles. For whatever reason, Nintendo never got around to releasing the titles on the Wii or the Wii U (despite homebrews being able to emulate the Cube...) leaving what is easily one of the most underrated platforms completely unrepresented. While I don't like to support emulation, considering how far the Dolphin has grown, I feel like Nintendo is really late to the party here. While it's nice to finally have that option and if they can offer me a good deal on Luigi's Mansion, I may just take it. However, it's an aspect Nintendo really needs to improve in. They have all these great games and yet they do nothing to market them and a lot of classic titles don't even make their way onto the platform. I'll spare everyone the rant, but it's one of my biggest gripes with the latest generation of consoles.

There's more rumours, but considering I'm the Pokemon guy (and if you have a problem with that, I'm always up for a sneaky battle) I thought it'd be appropriate to end on the idea of Pokemon moving to the Switch. This is one announcement I'm anticipating with baited breath. Partly because I eventually want to buy a copy of Sun so I can have a complete 3DS Pokemon collection, but also because this would be the first steps to a home-console version of Pokemon. While the game is said to be like the Game of the Year version, Stars, it's said to have a bunch of new features that they had to put a halt on as the team working on the Switch version had to help out the 3DS version and give it those finishing touches. If Stars is confirmed, I may skip Sun altogether and just use that as my alternate Generation 7 game. Of course the concern here is that it may not be compatible with the 3DS, so there's plenty of questions that will have to be answered.

In summation, the two-for-one handheld/console deal certainly has me curious. As long as it has enough exclusive software I'll be on board. I must admit as well, Nintendo chose a really good month to release the system in for me since it happens to be around my birthday. If the system releases at the $299 US dollar mark for the bundle, I'll be on board.

Comment

As we near the January 13th (12th for the US) Press Event, naturally more and more rumours emerge.

First off, there was the leak from my very own EB Games, that informed us that the Switch has a USB Type-C port, which means that you won't have to rely on Nintendo to provide you with portable chargers. It seems like a smart move right off the bat and a sign that Nintendo are willing to go in a new direction in order to be successful. Usually they'd be stubborn and stick to their own methods, so it's nice to see them become more consumer friendly.

Another story doing the rounds comes from Eurogamer's Tom Phillips and it concerns the Switch's Virtual Console. The latest virtual console will be the first to support Nintendo GameCube titles. For whatever reason, Nintendo never got around to releasing the titles on the Wii or the Wii U (despite homebrews being able to emulate the Cube...) leaving what is easily one of the most underrated platforms completely unrepresented. While I don't like to support emulation, considering how far the Dolphin has grown, I feel like Nintendo is really late to the party here. While it's nice to finally have that option and if they can offer me a good deal on Luigi's Mansion, I may just take it. However, it's an aspect Nintendo really needs to improve in. They have all these great games and yet they do nothing to market them and a lot of classic titles don't even make their way onto the platform. I'll spare everyone the rant, but it's one of my biggest gripes with the latest generation of consoles.

There's more rumours, but considering I'm the Pokemon guy (and if you have a problem with that, I'm always up for a sneaky battle) I thought it'd be appropriate to end on the idea of Pokemon moving to the Switch. This is one announcement I'm anticipating with baited breath. Partly because I eventually want to buy a copy of Sun so I can have a complete 3DS Pokemon collection, but also because this would be the first steps to a home-console version of Pokemon. While the game is said to be like the Game of the Year version, Stars, it's said to have a bunch of new features that they had to put a halt on as the team working on the Switch version had to help out the 3DS version and give it those finishing touches. If Stars is confirmed, I may skip Sun altogether and just use that as my alternate Generation 7 game. Of course the concern here is that it may not be compatible with the 3DS, so there's plenty of questions that will have to be answered.

In summation, the two-for-one handheld/console deal certainly has me curious. As long as it has enough exclusive software I'll be on board. I must admit as well, Nintendo chose a really good month to release the system in for me since it happens to be around my birthday. If the system releases at the $299 US dollar mark for the bundle, I'll be on board.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if this takes off. It doesn't interest me at all, but if there is a market there then it could open a new avenue for both consoles and game development.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if this takes off. It doesn't interest me at all, but if there is a market there then it could open a new avenue for both consoles and game development.

Comment

Not into handheld gaming, BARCELONA?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pete View Post
                Nope, not especially! The only handheld game I've really enjoyed is Pokemon on the old GB/GBA.

Mobile gaming doesn't interest me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pete View Post
                  Nope, not especially! The only handheld game I've really enjoyed is Pokemon on the old GB/GBA.

Mobile gaming doesn't interest me at all.

Comment

I may skip this console entirely, at least for the first year and a bit. I already have a Wii U and my main Nintendo interest is Breath of the Wild at the moment. If I can just pick that up, and still play Smash, Kart (both of which are rumoured to simply be ported over, not given sequels at least right away), Donkey Kong, Mario, and other classic games that are still enjoyable, the Wii U does all that for me. It would be nice to play Gamecube games, but I don't think that's worth buying an entirely new console for. The Switch gimmick, while cool and probably what the Wii U should have been to begin with, does nothing for me. I already have a 3DS with a ton of great games, so I can already take that on the go.

Comment

I may skip this console entirely, at least for the first year and a bit. I already have a Wii U and my main Nintendo interest is Breath of the Wild at the moment. If I can just pick that up, and still play Smash, Kart (both of which are rumoured to simply be ported over, not given sequels at least right away), Donkey Kong, Mario, and other classic games that are still enjoyable, the Wii U does all that for me. It would be nice to play Gamecube games, but I don't think that's worth buying an entirely new console for. The Switch gimmick, while cool and probably what the Wii U should have been to begin with, does nothing for me. I already have a 3DS with a ton of great games, so I can already take that on the go.

Comment

The WiiU was the first Nintendo system I've ever totally passed on and I only owned the Wii for about 6 months before selling it so Nintendo has exactly been on my radar the last decade... BUT the Switch actually looks like a good idea and as long as the system doesn't price more than $300 I'll be picking one up right off the bat.

Comment

The WiiU was the first Nintendo system I've ever totally passed on and I only owned the Wii for about 6 months before selling it so Nintendo has exactly been on my radar the last decade... BUT the Switch actually looks like a good idea and as long as the system doesn't price more than $300 I'll be picking one up right off the bat.

Comment

Few issues with how Nintendo has handled the Switch:

1) Not having Zelda potentially ready for the launch is damning and if the library is going to mainly consist of ports, this will be a massive missed opportunity. Nintendo honestly needs a new IP to be the face of this system, maybe they go into a genre they seldom ever attempt like horror or FPS. The third party support needs to shine from the get go.

2) Having a game library and price point announcement 2 months from release seems pretty brutal for the consumer. I think it's cutting it way too close personally speaking. This would be fine if Nintendo never has had any problems with under-stocking their products but they have throughout the years have been inept in this category with games being under produced, amiibos being hard to find/store exclusives, NES Remix being a scalpers wet dream and the Black Friday new 3DS deal being pretty harsh by having a very limited amount of quantity for stores.

It's going to be a mad rush to pre order and will be brutal for the working class given their press conference and announcement of when to preorder will conflict with the common 9-5 worker. Nintendo may potentially run the risk of not having enough systems for people to preorder. Now for me, I have Nintendo Store in NYC as a fallback plan(Though I seldom go there after how horrible they handled the X/Y release for me) but not everyone has that understandably so I can already see the writing on the wall as far as how hard this system will be to preorder.

3) I don't know how anyone can seriously bring their portable version of this around, it's screaming to be mugged and or assaulted. I carry my 3DS around like it is my baby, I can't possibly imagine the target a portable Nintendo Switch will bring forth to someone. That might just be for me given I ride the train every day but I don't think I would be safe bringing this around the city. There's going to be a lot of tragic horror stories and given this will market kids, I hate to see young lives get impacted over stupidity and greed.

With Persona 5 and possibly South Park right around this release, I don't know if I will buy this off the bat.
                            Currently Playing:
                            Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

Comment

Few issues with how Nintendo has handled the Switch:

1) Not having Zelda potentially ready for the launch is damning and if the library is going to mainly consist of ports, this will be a massive missed opportunity. Nintendo honestly needs a new IP to be the face of this system, maybe they go into a genre they seldom ever attempt like horror or FPS. The third party support needs to shine from the get go.

2) Having a game library and price point announcement 2 months from release seems pretty brutal for the consumer. I think it's cutting it way too close personally speaking. This would be fine if Nintendo never has had any problems with under-stocking their products but they have throughout the years have been inept in this category with games being under produced, amiibos being hard to find/store exclusives, NES Remix being a scalpers wet dream and the Black Friday new 3DS deal being pretty harsh by having a very limited amount of quantity for stores.

It's going to be a mad rush to pre order and will be brutal for the working class given their press conference and announcement of when to preorder will conflict with the common 9-5 worker. Nintendo may potentially run the risk of not having enough systems for people to preorder. Now for me, I have Nintendo Store in NYC as a fallback plan(Though I seldom go there after how horrible they handled the X/Y release for me) but not everyone has that understandably so I can already see the writing on the wall as far as how hard this system will be to preorder.

3) I don't know how anyone can seriously bring their portable version of this around, it's screaming to be mugged and or assaulted. I carry my 3DS around like it is my baby, I can't possibly imagine the target a portable Nintendo Switch will bring forth to someone. That might just be for me given I ride the train every day but I don't think I would be safe bringing this around the city. There's going to be a lot of tragic horror stories and given this will market kids, I hate to see young lives get impacted over stupidity and greed.

With Persona 5 and possibly South Park right around this release, I don't know if I will buy this off the bat.
                              Currently Playing:
                              Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

Comment

Working...
                              X