Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 100 Greatest Teams in NFL History

The 100 Greatest Teams in NFL History

This is a project I started about 7 years ago. I never finished it because I reached a point where I was really unhappy with what I came up with. I put it away and chipped away at the list throughout the years, making changes based on what I've learned about these historic teams, working to come up with a method to weigh and measure these teams from vastly different eras against each other more accurately. I've spent a little time on this over the past couple of weekends and I finally got a list that I'm happy with. Now that we are in the dark days of the NFL off season and the Rockets are eliminated from the NBA Playoffs I figured I'd crank this bad boy out.

The NFL is going to play it's 98th season this year. I'm going to try my best to rank the top 100 teams of all 97 years of NFL history based on single season performance, taking a look at not only wins and losses but the quality of their competition, whatever influence they had on the game, how dominant they were, and who they had playing for them. This is mostly just to celebrate the history of the game and a matter of one man's opinion, anyone reading is more than welcome to drop any knowledge or argue about the rankings if they feel the need.

Re: The 100 Greatest Teams in NFL History

Looking forward to it. This should be good.

Comment

Honorable Mentions

Just a heads up spoiler alert for this countdown, there are no teams in the top 100 that failed to win the Championship/Super Bowl. This countdown is based on single season accomplishment, the ultimate goal of every team every year is to win the Championship. Winning the Championship is the reason why they play the game. I just don't feel like teams that fell short of the ultimate goal belong on the list of Champions, so teams like the 2007 Patriots, 2001 Rams, 1998 Vikings, etc will not be ranked on this countdown as I just don't feel like they belong considering the criteria I used to come up with this ranking. This is not about who would win head to head matchup, it's about what these teams accomplished within their season within the era in which they played. I'll do another countdown later on ranking the top 100 teams that did not win a Championship, this countdown is reserved for Champions only. The following teams fell short of the top 100 but still deserve a mention:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#101(tie)
      Spoiler

Comment

Spoiler

Comment

Spoiler

Comment

Spoiler

Comment

Spoiler

Comment

Very impressive, I'll be keeping tabs on this.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Shin leaving off dominant regular season teams like the undefeated Patriots, 98 Vikings, etc. but I suppose it's his thing and he can do what he wants with it.

On the bright side, you have no idea how much I want to go to the Cycledrome to watch the Providence Steamroller play. Love those old school football (and baseball) team names.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                    I'm not a fan of Shin leaving off dominant regular season teams like the undefeated Patriots, 98 Vikings, etc. but I suppose it's his thing and he can do what he wants with it.
                    My original list had teams like that included but through the years it was just something that kind of irked me, Patriots couldn't get it done when it mattered, 98 Vikings couldn't stop Atlanta Falcons from scoring a touchdown when they had the game won in the Conference Championship, I just don't think they belong among teams that accomplished the primary focus of an NFL season, being the best in the league. There is just not enough room for them, to leave off teams that won the title to make room for teams that failed just didn't sit well with me about this list. You could make a strong argument that maybe some of those teams belong over the Champions of the 1920's and a few of these early AFL teams, using my criteria focusing on the individual season(and encompassing all of NFL history weighed within the context of when it happened) though it just doesn't work for me as it begins and ends with winning the championship that season, teams that didn't belong on a separate list all of their own(coming soon!).

But I welcome the argument if you feel another team deserves to be on the list over somebody else. This is actually a beta version of the countdown as I plan on revising it over the next couple of years. I'm open to consider any arguments for future revisions(going to update this to insert whoever wins 2017, 2018, and 2019 Super Bowls and finalize it as "Top 100 Teams Of The First 100 Years of NFL History" or something, the final version of the list will see 24 Bulldogs, 60 Oilers, and 62 Texans bumped off into the Honorable Mentions to make room for those three).

On the bright side, you have no idea how much I want to go to the Cycledrome to watch the Providence Steamroller play. Love those old school football (and baseball) team names.
                    My new favorite; The Wheeling Stogies!

Comment

Spoiler

Comment

Spoiler

Comment

Spoiler

Comment

Spoiler

Comment

This is excellent reading. You have an incredible passion of football, and football history. I can't wait to read more.

Still My Champ
                              Thanks, surrender.

Comment

Working...
                              X