NFL Networks Top 100 Players of 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Networks Top 100 Players of 2017

We used to post about this back in the day and it's probably time to bring it back - it's definitely going to be brutal again as it's become clear over the years NFL players really don't know much outside of their own bubble. And rely on name recognition just as much - if not more than your average fan.

100. Joey Bosa
    99. Malcolm Butler
    98. Adrian Peterson
    97. David Decastro
    96. Damon Harrison
    95. Kelechi Osemele
    94. Donta Hightower
    93. Brandon Graham
    92. Everson Griffin
    91. Lorenzo Alexander

90. Malcolm Jenkins
    89. Thomas Davis
    88. Doug Baldwin
    87. Travis Frederick
    86. Jurrell Casey
    85. Chandler Jones
    84. Mike Daniels
    83. Calais Campbell
    82. Clay Matthews
    81. Alex Smith

The next 10 are up as well , but we can start there for now.

Re: NFL Networks Top 100 Players of 2017

I don't necessarily hate most of that list , but the part I do hate is downright egregious.

Adrian Peterson even sniffing this list after the season he started out with , getting injured and proving on the FA market that no team really wanted him is a downright joke. I would like to hear anyone justify Peterson ranking on this list at all when he is going to be splitting time with Mark Ingram and a 2nd or 3rd round rookie scat back this season in New Orleans. It's purely a name add at the end and gets the list off to a bad start right away.

Everyone else I am fine with , although I think projecting forward I would of put Bosa ahead of a handful of these guys.

Comment

I don't necessarily hate most of that list , but the part I do hate is downright egregious.

Adrian Peterson even sniffing this list after the season he started out with , getting injured and proving on the FA market that no team really wanted him is a downright joke. I would like to hear anyone justify Peterson ranking on this list at all when he is going to be splitting time with Mark Ingram and a 2nd or 3rd round rookie scat back this season in New Orleans. It's purely a name add at the end and gets the list off to a bad start right away.

Everyone else I am fine with , although I think projecting forward I would of put Bosa ahead of a handful of these guys.

Comment

90. Malcolm Jenkins
        89. Thomas Davis
        88. Doug Baldwin
        87. Travis Frederick
        86. Jurrell Casey
        85. Chandler Jones
        84. Mike Daniels
        83. Calais Campbell
        82. Clay Matthews
        81. Alex Smith

Comment

90. Malcolm Jenkins
          89. Thomas Davis
          88. Doug Baldwin
          87. Travis Frederick
          86. Jurrell Casey
          85. Chandler Jones
          84. Mike Daniels
          83. Calais Campbell
          82. Clay Matthews
          81. Alex Smith

Comment

This part of the list I have a few more problems with - but I do like that Jurrell Casey got some recognition along with Travis Frederick. Both two of the best players at their respective positions that don't get nearly the love of some of their contemporaries.

However I think Mike Daniels is a tad underrated here , the guy is an absolute machine and makes an impact in the run or the pass every single game. I don't think it's a huge stretch to call him one of the best all around defensive linemen in the game when you consider his ability to play the 5 and 3 technique without missing much of a beat.

I have more of a problem with Matthews getting placed over him. Matthews is uber talented and his willingness to play out of position for the betterment of the defense is admirable but the guy is always on and off the field with injuries and when he does play - he's injured and not nearly as effected. I don't think any player who can't stay on the field and has proven such over his career should be regarded this highly at all and especially above his fellow teammate Daniels who is there every single snap and hands down the best player on the defense for the past two season.

And then there is Alex Smith , being anywhere on this list. It's pretty much a joke and them just finally throwing him a bone because I don't see how in this vacuum he is a better player than a number of guys ranked below him and he is simply a middle of the road quarterback. His latest game was a joke and spurned conversations about Kansas City needing to move on to get over the hump - I just don't see it and unless there are 15 quarterbacks in the top 80 than he is incredibly overrated.

Comment

This part of the list I have a few more problems with - but I do like that Jurrell Casey got some recognition along with Travis Frederick. Both two of the best players at their respective positions that don't get nearly the love of some of their contemporaries.

However I think Mike Daniels is a tad underrated here , the guy is an absolute machine and makes an impact in the run or the pass every single game. I don't think it's a huge stretch to call him one of the best all around defensive linemen in the game when you consider his ability to play the 5 and 3 technique without missing much of a beat.

I have more of a problem with Matthews getting placed over him. Matthews is uber talented and his willingness to play out of position for the betterment of the defense is admirable but the guy is always on and off the field with injuries and when he does play - he's injured and not nearly as effected. I don't think any player who can't stay on the field and has proven such over his career should be regarded this highly at all and especially above his fellow teammate Daniels who is there every single snap and hands down the best player on the defense for the past two season.

And then there is Alex Smith , being anywhere on this list. It's pretty much a joke and them just finally throwing him a bone because I don't see how in this vacuum he is a better player than a number of guys ranked below him and he is simply a middle of the road quarterback. His latest game was a joke and spurned conversations about Kansas City needing to move on to get over the hump - I just don't see it and unless there are 15 quarterbacks in the top 80 than he is incredibly overrated.

Comment

Peterson is only a year removed from being the league's rushing leader behind a pretty ordinary offensive line, I think the lack of market for him in free agency has a lot less to do with his quality as lack of fit in a changing NFL landscape.

Comment

Peterson is only a year removed from being the league's rushing leader behind a pretty ordinary offensive line, I think the lack of market for him in free agency has a lot less to do with his quality as lack of fit in a changing NFL landscape.

Comment

Alex Smith being on the list is troubling, as someone that watches a lot of Alex Smith the 19 guys below him must also be unable to throw the ball more than five yards forward.

I kid, mostly, because he did hit a few downfield tosses this year. But yes as essentially an average QB he should have a good dozen QBs ahead of him on the list, but actually it wouldn't be that shocking to see 14 more QBs.

Comment

Alex Smith being on the list is troubling, as someone that watches a lot of Alex Smith the 19 guys below him must also be unable to throw the ball more than five yards forward.

I kid, mostly, because he did hit a few downfield tosses this year. But yes as essentially an average QB he should have a good dozen QBs ahead of him on the list, but actually it wouldn't be that shocking to see 14 more QBs.

Comment

Originally posted by HR View Post
                        I think that speaks to part of the problem , if you aren't able to still be as effective because the league is changing than how good can you be - especially at his age? I think that every player who makes the Top 100 should be the type that wouldn't be on the FA market that long. Two teams courted Peterson and one of them decided they'd rather give up a draft pick and sign Gillisee and the other , the Saints always make weird pickups anyways. There was a point of time where Peterson was looking at not getting signed until camp.

I just don't think he's that good anymore and I don't see him being all that much better splitting time in New Orleans.

Comment

Originally posted by HR View Post
                          I think that speaks to part of the problem , if you aren't able to still be as effective because the league is changing than how good can you be - especially at his age? I think that every player who makes the Top 100 should be the type that wouldn't be on the FA market that long. Two teams courted Peterson and one of them decided they'd rather give up a draft pick and sign Gillisee and the other , the Saints always make weird pickups anyways. There was a point of time where Peterson was looking at not getting signed until camp.

I just don't think he's that good anymore and I don't see him being all that much better splitting time in New Orleans.

Comment

It is difficult to project just how good he is right now given he's missed two of the past three seasons, but the evidence from the one he did play suggests he's still a quality back. The FA situation is misleading because there were so many factors in the mix - only so many teams requiring a between the tackles runner, some of those teams being shotgun offences who need their back to be able to play a role in the passing game, the reduced value being placed on the RB position, an exceptionally strong draft class in the position, other veteran backs like Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Charles still available, plus AP's injury and off-field issues - all those things played a role beyond "how good is Adrian Peterson in 2017?"

If he can stay healthy I don't think it would be a great surprise at all for him to beat out Ingram in the snap battle, rush for around 1000 yards and be a strong contender for comeback player of the year. But this is all speculation and time will tell...

Comment

It is difficult to project just how good he is right now given he's missed two of the past three seasons, but the evidence from the one he did play suggests he's still a quality back. The FA situation is misleading because there were so many factors in the mix - only so many teams requiring a between the tackles runner, some of those teams being shotgun offences who need their back to be able to play a role in the passing game, the reduced value being placed on the RB position, an exceptionally strong draft class in the position, other veteran backs like Marshawn Lynch and Jamaal Charles still available, plus AP's injury and off-field issues - all those things played a role beyond "how good is Adrian Peterson in 2017?"

If he can stay healthy I don't think it would be a great surprise at all for him to beat out Ingram in the snap battle, rush for around 1000 yards and be a strong contender for comeback player of the year. But this is all speculation and time will tell...

Comment

Working...
                              X