Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Old School Football Thread

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    I think it just put an unreal amount of pressure on Moon. It was like he wasn't allowed to ever make a mistake, if he didn't play flawlessly my uncles/dad/grandpa were usually calling for him to get his black ass off the field, but they would use other language. He was the scapegoat for the team's problems pretty much because he was black. Also maybe his huge money contract had a part of it, he got that deal right around the time the economy in Houston bottomed out(the bubble burst on the oil boom in 87, banks closed, a lot of jobs were lost in a matter of months, it was like a smaller scale, but worse version of what happened across the US in 2008-2009). Moon wasn't very popular with my racist dad/grandpa/uncles. Me and my brother loved him though. Christmas 93 that was what we wanted, the Warren Moon uniform/helmet set they sold at Academy. Good times.

Edit: A lot of people point to Buffalo's comeback as the turning point when Houston lost the Oilers but I always point to the game against KC in 93. After that game was when they got rid of Moon, without Moon it was like that team was dead, soulless. It's crazy that Moon kept playing at such a high level for so long after the Oilers dumped him, he had some good seasons in Minnesota and Seattle. The Oilers should have kept him. Even though he had a terrible game in that playoff game against the Chiefs, I don't think Moon was the problem with the Oilers.
    You guys might have hope with the Texans...

Comment

I think the Chiefs have to also be viewed as a team that could of/should of won a SB in the 90s, they had good teams from the mid to late part of that decade that was good on both sides of the ball, especially defense.

Comment

I think the Chiefs have to also be viewed as a team that could of/should of won a SB in the 90s, they had good teams from the mid to late part of that decade that was good on both sides of the ball, especially defense.

Comment

I remember the 93 team with Montana was great. That 93 Oilers vs Cheifs playoff game I'm sure has to be a record for most Hall of Famers in one single game. That was easily one of the biggest and most important football games played in my little universe in my lifetime, as a kid growing up in Houston that game was bigger than a lot of Super Bowls, I mean Joe Montana vs Warren Moon, it pretty much was our Super Bowl, and we lost. Not to mention that single game changed the course of sports history in Houston over the next 20 years or so. If the Oilers would have won the Texans could possibly not even exist today, Titans either.

While we're at it, might as well add Dan Marino to the could have/should have(but didn't because of Buffalo) list. I think the closest he ever got to going back to the Super Bowl was in 92, Duper and Clayton's final years, they finished 11-5 and made it to the AFC Championship(in Miami) but the Bills smashed them. Even though they lost all 4 Super Bowls I still see those 90's Bills as one of the greatest teams of all time, definitely one of the greatest teams of my era, they are the reason why those great Oilers, Dolphins, and Chiefs teams of the 90's never got to the Super Bowl.
          Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 02-06-2016, 11:52 PM.

Comment

I remember the 93 team with Montana was great. That 93 Oilers vs Cheifs playoff game I'm sure has to be a record for most Hall of Famers in one single game. That was easily one of the biggest and most important football games played in my little universe in my lifetime, as a kid growing up in Houston that game was bigger than a lot of Super Bowls, I mean Joe Montana vs Warren Moon, it pretty much was our Super Bowl, and we lost. Not to mention that single game changed the course of sports history in Houston over the next 20 years or so. If the Oilers would have won the Texans could possibly not even exist today, Titans either.

While we're at it, might as well add Dan Marino to the could have/should have(but didn't because of Buffalo) list. I think the closest he ever got to going back to the Super Bowl was in 92, Duper and Clayton's final years, they finished 11-5 and made it to the AFC Championship(in Miami) but the Bills smashed them. Even though they lost all 4 Super Bowls I still see those 90's Bills as one of the greatest teams of all time, definitely one of the greatest teams of my era, they are the reason why those great Oilers, Dolphins, and Chiefs teams of the 90's never got to the Super Bowl.

Comment

You forgot to mention the Raiders, who got smoked in the 91 AFCCG.

Comment

You forgot to mention the Raiders, who got smoked in the 91 AFCCG.

Comment

Can confirm that "Team of the Week" will return starting next Sunday, highlighting a single season team from NFL history every Sunday(hopefully) through the off-season. I have a list of teams I want to cover(I'm trying to highlight at least 1 historic team from each franchise, we're about halfway through them) but if you have any that you would like to suggest you can PM me a list if you want. Would also love to get an All Time Draft going with you guys sometime over the next couple of months(hopefully not anytime soon, I'm fixing* to be very busy over the next few weeks).

*I had no idea this was just a southern term until recently. When you are "fixing" to do something, it's our way of saying we are about to be doing something, or will be doing something in the future.

Comment

Can confirm that "Team of the Week" will return starting next Sunday, highlighting a single season team from NFL history every Sunday(hopefully) through the off-season. I have a list of teams I want to cover(I'm trying to highlight at least 1 historic team from each franchise, we're about halfway through them) but if you have any that you would like to suggest you can PM me a list if you want. Would also love to get an All Time Draft going with you guys sometime over the next couple of months(hopefully not anytime soon, I'm fixing* to be very busy over the next few weeks).

*I had no idea this was just a southern term until recently. When you are "fixing" to do something, it's our way of saying we are about to be doing something, or will be doing something in the future.

Comment

1999 Jacksonville Jaguars, one of the greatest forgotten teams in NFL history. They went 15-1 during the 99 regular season, winning their division and having the best record in the NFL with home field advantage in the playoffs only to lose to the Titans in the AFCCG, also the 2006 San Diego Chargers aswell.

Comment

1999 Jacksonville Jaguars, one of the greatest forgotten teams in NFL history. They went 15-1 during the 99 regular season, winning their division and having the best record in the NFL with home field advantage in the playoffs only to lose to the Titans in the AFCCG, also the 2006 San Diego Chargers aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketmansid View Post
                          Actually, the Jags went 14-2. They went undefeated against all but one team, as they lost both regular season games, and the AFC Championship game to the Titans.

Still My Champ
                          Thanks, surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketmansid View Post
                            Actually, the Jags went 14-2. They went undefeated against all but one team, as they lost both regular season games, and the AFC Championship game to the Titans.

Still My Champ
                            Thanks, surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by CM Punk'd View Post
                              My mistake for the record but what a underratedly good team. That could of been the Jags year its crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by CM Punk'd View Post
                                My mistake for the record but what a underratedly good team. That could of been the Jags year its crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X