Green Bay Packers vs Dallas Cowboys "Ice Bowl" 1967 NFL Championship

Part 2(1987):
    Green Bay Packers vs Dallas Cowboys 1966 NFL Championship
    Cleveland Browns vs Los Angeles Rams 1950 NFL Championship
    New York Jets vs Baltimore Colts Super Bowl III
    Oakland Raiders vs Baltimore Colts 1977 AFC playoff
    Kansas City Chiefs vs Miami Dolphins 1971 AFC playoff
    Washington Redskins vs Dallas Cowboys 1979

I watched the FUCK out of these when I was a kid. This is the shit that made me a lifelong football fan. Epic music, god-like narration, superbly written accounts of some of the greatest games ever played. I tracked these down and bought brand new factory sealed VHS copies of these on Amazon a few years ago, I'm watching one now. Great shit. Two of my favorite movies NFL Films ever made.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-31-2016, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Re: The Old School Football Thread

I was like 8 when my grandma bought me these two VHS tapes back in the day:

Part 1(1986):
      Baltimore Colts vs New York Giants 1958 NFL Championship
      Miami Dolphins vs San Diego Chargers 1981 AFC playoff game
      Baltimore Colts vs Detroit Lions game from 1960
      Miami Dolphins vs Oakland Raiders 1974 "Sea of Hands" game
      Green Bay Packers vs Dallas Cowboys "Ice Bowl" 1967 NFL Championship

Part 2(1987):
      Green Bay Packers vs Dallas Cowboys 1966 NFL Championship
      Cleveland Browns vs Los Angeles Rams 1950 NFL Championship
      New York Jets vs Baltimore Colts Super Bowl III
      Oakland Raiders vs Baltimore Colts 1977 AFC playoff
      Kansas City Chiefs vs Miami Dolphins 1971 AFC playoff
      Washington Redskins vs Dallas Cowboys 1979

I watched the FUCK out of these when I was a kid. This is the shit that made me a lifelong football fan. Epic music, god-like narration, superbly written accounts of some of the greatest games ever played. I tracked these down and bought brand new factory sealed VHS copies of these on Amazon a few years ago, I'm watching one now. Great shit. Two of my favorite movies NFL Films ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
        Today is the 24 year anniversary of "The Drive II", the 1991 AFC Divisional playoff game between the Houston Oilers and the Denver Broncos. I randomly stumbled upon this game on Youtube and had to watch it today. Really, really, really good game. Warren Moon vs John Elway.

Spoiler

Houston comes out and Moon connects to Jeffries for 50 yards on the first play. Within like 3 plays they are in the end zone against the top defense in the AFC, 2nd best defense in the league that year I think. Oilers burn the Broncos and go up 21-6 by halftime. Incredible watching this offense, Moon was one of the greatest of all time. Speaking of GOATS, if you ever put together a Houston All Time team, on defense you would have JJ Watt and Ray Childress, and then do whatever the fuck else you want to do homie. Childress was one of the best players that ever played the game. He was looking like JJ Watt in the early parts of this game, getting to Elway, shutting down the run, wreaking havoc even though he was being double teamed at times. Childress hurt his back early in the game and I think he was pulled out of the game at half time.

There was a huge play near the end of the first half when Moon threw the interception. How the hell they ruled that a catch I'll never know, that was not an interception. The turnover set Denver up for a long scoring drive.

The Oilers were up 21-6 and the Broncos shut them down in the 2nd half. Oilers got a field goal and pulled ahead 24-23 with just 2 minutes left!!! It's the bad playcalling that always did Houston in, especially in this game. They kept throwing the ball deep instead of trying to run the clock out, they left Elway with too much time.

Unbelievable drive though from Elway. That fucking stadium was rocking. Broncos drive from their own 2 yard line, converting a 4th & 8, then later a 4th and 10!!!! HOUSTON WAS THAT FUCKING CLOSE!!! Elway got it done, Kubiak held the field goal that won it.

Gary Kubiak was the backup QB and kick holder in this game. Wade Phillips was the Broncos defensive coordinator. Kubiak today is the Broncos head coach and Phillips is again the D Coordinator as they head into these upcoming playoffs with the #1 seed in the AFC. Kubiak and Phillips put together one hell of a team down here in Houston that year in 2011 and in 2012, they fired Kubiak after he had his heart attack, I'm still not so sure that was the right thing to do.
        I feel bad for Moon, could and should of gotten one ring with those talented Oilers teams but they always folded in the playoffs.

Comment

Today is the 24 year anniversary of "The Drive II", the 1991 AFC Divisional playoff game between the Houston Oilers and the Denver Broncos. I randomly stumbled upon this game on Youtube and had to watch it today. Really, really, really good game. Warren Moon vs John Elway.

Spoiler

Houston comes out and Moon connects to Jeffries for 50 yards on the first play. Within like 3 plays they are in the end zone against the top defense in the AFC, 2nd best defense in the league that year I think. Oilers burn the Broncos and go up 21-6 by halftime. Incredible watching this offense, Moon was one of the greatest of all time. Speaking of GOATS, if you ever put together a Houston All Time team, on defense you would have JJ Watt and Ray Childress, and then do whatever the fuck else you want to do homie. Childress was one of the best players that ever played the game. He was looking like JJ Watt in the early parts of this game, getting to Elway, shutting down the run, wreaking havoc even though he was being double teamed at times. Childress hurt his back early in the game and I think he was pulled out of the game at half time.

There was a huge play near the end of the first half when Moon threw the interception. How the hell they ruled that a catch I'll never know, that was not an interception. The turnover set Denver up for a long scoring drive.

The Oilers were up 21-6 and the Broncos shut them down in the 2nd half. Oilers got a field goal and pulled ahead 24-23 with just 2 minutes left!!! It's the bad playcalling that always did Houston in, especially in this game. They kept throwing the ball deep instead of trying to run the clock out, they left Elway with too much time.

Unbelievable drive though from Elway. That fucking stadium was rocking. Broncos drive from their own 2 yard line, converting a 4th & 8, then later a 4th and 10!!!! HOUSTON WAS THAT FUCKING CLOSE!!! Elway got it done, Kubiak held the field goal that won it.

Gary Kubiak was the backup QB and kick holder in this game. Wade Phillips was the Broncos defensive coordinator. Kubiak today is the Broncos head coach and Phillips is again the D Coordinator as they head into these upcoming playoffs with the #1 seed in the AFC. Kubiak and Phillips put together one hell of a team down here in Houston that year in 2011 and in 2012, they fired Kubiak after he had his heart attack, I'm still not so sure that was the right thing to do.
          I feel bad for Moon, could and should of gotten one ring with those talented Oilers teams but they always folded in the playoffs.

Comment

93 should have been their year. We lived in Houston that season so I followed them very closely that year, they were great. I'll never forget that playoff game against the Chiefs. Joe Montana, Marcus Allen, Derrick Thomas, we collapsed, it was sad. Moon fumbled like 8 times, most ever in a playoff game. They traded him for like a 7th round pick or something. The "A Football Life" episode on the 93 Oilers almost makes me want to cry, so many memories it brought back, what a great doc. Houston Oilers weren't about football, they were about demise(I'm stealing Fezz quotes here ). Only thing they left off that doc was the Christmas day game against the 49ers, probably the 2nd best team in the league that year, we took'em down. Great team.

Comment

93 should have been their year. We lived in Houston that season so I followed them very closely that year, they were great. I'll never forget that playoff game against the Chiefs. Joe Montana, Marcus Allen, Derrick Thomas, we collapsed, it was sad. Moon fumbled like 8 times, most ever in a playoff game. They traded him for like a 7th round pick or something. The "A Football Life" episode on the 93 Oilers almost makes me want to cry, so many memories it brought back, what a great doc. Houston Oilers weren't about football, they were about demise(I'm stealing Fezz quotes here ). Only thing they left off that doc was the Christmas day game against the 49ers, probably the 2nd best team in the league that year, we took'em down. Great team.

Comment

What was the team regular season record? They lost to the Chiefs in the divisional game right? At home?

Comment

What was the team regular season record? They lost to the Chiefs in the divisional game right? At home?

Comment

We finished 12-4, tied with the Bills and Cowboys for best record in the NFL, best record in Oilers history. Defense was tight that year with Buddy Ryan as defensive coordinator. Moon got off to a rocky start, got benched, then the Oilers started like 1-4. Then the backup quarterback got hurt, they put Moon back in and they won 11 games in a row and looked like one of the best teams ever. They were still winning but they fell apart behind the scenes at the end of the season because of Buddy Ryan, the coaches even got into a fist fight on the sidelines in the last game of the regular season. On top of all that one of the players killed himself on highway 59 after killing his friend in a car crash, a bunch of gay players on the team, the whole "babygate" controversy with Bud Adams the owner fining one of the players a game check for missing a game to be with his wife giving labor. On top of all that you got a black quarterback in Texas, it was a fucking media frenzy, the press had a field day with it, pretty much every day. It was a wild season.

The interesting part is that I remember the people of Houston still believed in the Oilers going into that game against the Chiefs, even after those epic collapses agianst Denver in 91 and Buffalo in 92. I remember people talking about Oilers vs Cowboys all Texas Super Bowl, EVERYONE in the city was watching the Oilers vs Chiefs. It was huge, very big deal.
                    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 02-03-2016, 10:24 PM.

Comment

We finished 12-4, tied with the Bills and Cowboys for best record in the NFL, best record in Oilers history. Defense was tight that year with Buddy Ryan as defensive coordinator. Moon got off to a rocky start, got benched, then the Oilers started like 1-4. Then the backup quarterback got hurt, they put Moon back in and they won 11 games in a row and looked like one of the best teams ever. They were still winning but they fell apart behind the scenes at the end of the season because of Buddy Ryan, the coaches even got into a fist fight on the sidelines in the last game of the regular season. On top of all that one of the players killed himself on highway 59 after killing his friend in a car crash, a bunch of gay players on the team, the whole "babygate" controversy with Bud Adams the owner fining one of the players a game check for missing a game to be with his wife giving labor. On top of all that you got a black quarterback in Texas, it was a fucking media frenzy, the press had a field day with it, pretty much every day. It was a wild season.

The interesting part is that I remember the people of Houston still believed in the Oilers going into that game against the Chiefs, even after those epic collapses agianst Denver in 91 and Buffalo in 92. I remember people talking about Oilers vs Cowboys all Texas Super Bowl, EVERYONE in the city was watching the Oilers vs Chiefs. It was huge, very big deal.

Comment

Lol I guess the black QB part in Texas stirred up racial tension huh? Also I remember seeing a old clip of Buddy punching one of the assistant coaches in the face and heard about the Oilers off the field problems but never gotten the full details on it. A Texas Super Bowl would be cool to see someday if it happens.

Comment

Lol I guess the black QB part in Texas stirred up racial tension huh? Also I remember seeing a old clip of Buddy punching one of the assistant coaches in the face and heard about the Oilers off the field problems but never gotten the full details on it. A Texas Super Bowl would be cool to see someday if it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketmansid View Post
                            Lol I guess the black QB part in Texas stirred up racial tension huh?
                            I think it just put an unreal amount of pressure on Moon. It was like he wasn't allowed to ever make a mistake, if he didn't play flawlessly my uncles/dad/grandpa were usually calling for him to get his black ass off the field, but they would use other language. He was the scapegoat for the team's problems pretty much because he was black. Also maybe his huge money contract had a part of it, he got that deal right around the time the economy in Houston bottomed out(the bubble burst on the oil boom in 87, banks closed, a lot of jobs were lost in a matter of months, it was like a smaller scale, but worse version of what happened across the US in 2008-2009). Moon wasn't very popular with my racist dad/grandpa/uncles. Me and my brother loved him though. Christmas 93 that was what we wanted, the Warren Moon uniform/helmet set they sold at Academy. Good times.

Edit: A lot of people point to Buffalo's comeback as the turning point when Houston lost the Oilers but I always point to the game against KC in 93. After that game was when they got rid of Moon, without Moon it was like that team was dead, soulless. It's crazy that Moon kept playing at such a high level for so long after the Oilers dumped him, he had some good seasons in Minnesota and Seattle. The Oilers should have kept him. Even though he had a terrible game in that playoff game against the Chiefs, I don't think Moon was the problem with the Oilers.
                            Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 02-05-2016, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketmansid View Post
                              Lol I guess the black QB part in Texas stirred up racial tension huh?
                              I think it just put an unreal amount of pressure on Moon. It was like he wasn't allowed to ever make a mistake, if he didn't play flawlessly my uncles/dad/grandpa were usually calling for him to get his black ass off the field, but they would use other language. He was the scapegoat for the team's problems pretty much because he was black. Also maybe his huge money contract had a part of it, he got that deal right around the time the economy in Houston bottomed out(the bubble burst on the oil boom in 87, banks closed, a lot of jobs were lost in a matter of months, it was like a smaller scale, but worse version of what happened across the US in 2008-2009). Moon wasn't very popular with my racist dad/grandpa/uncles. Me and my brother loved him though. Christmas 93 that was what we wanted, the Warren Moon uniform/helmet set they sold at Academy. Good times.

Edit: A lot of people point to Buffalo's comeback as the turning point when Houston lost the Oilers but I always point to the game against KC in 93. After that game was when they got rid of Moon, without Moon it was like that team was dead, soulless. It's crazy that Moon kept playing at such a high level for so long after the Oilers dumped him, he had some good seasons in Minnesota and Seattle. The Oilers should have kept him. Even though he had a terrible game in that playoff game against the Chiefs, I don't think Moon was the problem with the Oilers.

Comment

You guys might have hope with the Texans...

Comment

Working...
                                X