FIFA expanding world cup to 48 nations in 2026

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIFA expanding world cup to 48 nations in 2026

Thought this might be worth a bit of a chat. Personally i'm kind of intrigued by it but then again i'm someone who enjoys minnow matches at the cricket world cup.

Thoughts?

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Originally posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

Re: FIFA expanding world cup to 48 nations in 2026

I bet even at 48, Canada wouldn't make it in.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Comment

I bet even at 48, Canada wouldn't make it in.

Still My Champ
      Thanks, surrender.

Comment

I'm mostly intrigued about how this affects the knockout round. If they stick with 16 teams in it, this could make a first match loss a death sentence.
        If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
        -John Stuart Mill

Comment

I'm mostly intrigued about how this affects the knockout round. If they stick with 16 teams in it, this could make a first match loss a death sentence.
          If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
          -John Stuart Mill

Comment

I think it's a terrible idea - we saw how the expansion of the European championships negatively affected the quality and the entertainment level of the football played, and I see this doing the same thing here with so many minnow teams likely to park the bus against the powerhouses, especially if they go with no draws during the group stage with games being decided by penalties.

Aside from that, the most obvious problem is the three team group stage where there is so much potential for a biscotto.

Comment

I think it's a terrible idea - we saw how the expansion of the European championships negatively affected the quality and the entertainment level of the football played, and I see this doing the same thing here with so many minnow teams likely to park the bus against the powerhouses, especially if they go with no draws during the group stage with games being decided by penalties.

Aside from that, the most obvious problem is the three team group stage where there is so much potential for a biscotto.

Comment

they are thinking of having 16 groups of three teams, I think its a terrible idea and it only due to money they are making the decision and not for the football reason, this will lower the quality of the footballl, and HR is correct you going to see lower level team try to get a draw against the bigger teams, and no matter the who you are having 11 guys in front of you ever time you attack makes it very hard and not the beautiful game of both teams looking for the win

Comment

they are thinking of having 16 groups of three teams, I think its a terrible idea and it only due to money they are making the decision and not for the football reason, this will lower the quality of the footballl, and HR is correct you going to see lower level team try to get a draw against the bigger teams, and no matter the who you are having 11 guys in front of you ever time you attack makes it very hard and not the beautiful game of both teams looking for the win

Comment

Terrible decision. Who in the blue hell green lit this proposal anyway?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                        FIFA?

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                          FIFA?

Comment

Originally posted by HR View Post
                            FIFA?
                            No shit.

Was it a slim majority or over-whelming majority vote?

Comment

Originally posted by HR View Post
                              FIFA?
                              No shit.

Was it a slim majority or over-whelming majority vote?

Comment

Working...
                              X