Prem Chat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prem Chat

Just a few hours until the Premier League kicks off with defending champions Leicester (yes, that did happen) travelling to promoted, managerless, and seemingly destined for relegation already Hull. Everything is in place for what could be perhaps the most competitive season in memory, with seven clubs holding legitimate claims to winning the league, and an increasingly strong middle tier making every single game interesting.

The two Manchester clubs are the bookies favourites, spurred on by new, world-class managers who have been infinitely successful where ever they've managed. The Pep vs Jose rivalry is legendary, and we won't have to wait long for them to lock horns in England for the first time. The first derby to feature Ibra, Pogba, Mkhitariyan, Stones, Sane and Nolito will be fascinating.

On the other hand, it's largely as you were for the London clubs. Arsenal are nearly unchanged (much to the disgust of the majority of their fans) with Granit Xhaka the only major arrival, no new marquee striker, and a defensive injury crisis to start the campaign. Still, with their unbelievable consistency under Wenger, you'd be foolish to think they won't be in the mix come the end of the season. Spurs too have gone about their transfer business quietly, adding depth with Wanyama and Janssen to a settled, young team which excluding a slow start and disastrous conclusion, came very, very close to winning it last year. Things are slightly different in West London, where Chelsea start life under new boss Antonio Conte, looking to return to the success of two seasons ago, and the revitalisation of stars like Eden Hazard, Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa, supplemented by the championship winning lungs of N'Golo Kante.

Kante's former team, Leicester, have managed to avoid the complete exodus of players that some feared, with superstars Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez staying at the King Power (for now). Interesting acquisitions like Ahmed Musa, Nampalys Mendy and Bartosz Kapustka will be important figures as the Foxes embark on European football whilst defending their title. Finally, amongst the major contenders, Liverpool will be looking to find more consistency from last season's performances which ranged from awe-inspiring to utterly awful. Jurgen Klopp's first full season in charge will feature two new attacking options who are proven Premier League scorers in Sadio Mane and Georginio Wijnaldum.

As Leicester proved last season though, truly any team can win the league - the increased TV money has seen an improved level of depth to the league, and it wouldn't be at all surprising to see West Ham, Southampton, Everton and Stoke knock over the favourites on numerous occasions throughout the season. It seems like the only thing that can be predicted this season is unpredictability.

Re: Footy Chat: August

Hull might have only showed up with 13 players, but the 11 that have taken the field have done anything but disgrace themselves. That was a very well organised and committed first half, amplified by the fact that numerous players are playing out of their customary positions. Both Jake Livermore in central defence (a fantastic goal saving block) and Sam Clucas controlling play from midfield have been impressive, and their efforts were capped off by that quite spectacular synchronised bicycle kick goal right at the end of the first half.

Leicester's play has been quite poor, numerous sloppy errors, and a large inability to come up with a second route to goal to counter Hull's deep lying defence. With that said, if Vardy had taken one of the two clear chances created for him by the electrifying pace of Musa, we'd likely be looking at a quite different game.

Comment

Hull might have only showed up with 13 players, but the 11 that have taken the field have done anything but disgrace themselves. That was a very well organised and committed first half, amplified by the fact that numerous players are playing out of their customary positions. Both Jake Livermore in central defence (a fantastic goal saving block) and Sam Clucas controlling play from midfield have been impressive, and their efforts were capped off by that quite spectacular synchronised bicycle kick goal right at the end of the first half.

Leicester's play has been quite poor, numerous sloppy errors, and a large inability to come up with a second route to goal to counter Hull's deep lying defence. With that said, if Vardy had taken one of the two clear chances created for him by the electrifying pace of Musa, we'd likely be looking at a quite different game.

Comment

I'd love to have seen the first half, found out too late about SBS and i'm not prepared to give Optus one cent for their EPL which is already pretty bad based on Twitter.

Leicester playing nervously or just as said above, poorly?

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Originally posted by The Miz
        I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
        Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

Comment

I'd love to have seen the first half, found out too late about SBS and i'm not prepared to give Optus one cent for their EPL which is already pretty bad based on Twitter.

Leicester playing nervously or just as said above, poorly?

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Originally posted by The Miz
          I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
          Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

Comment

Leicester showing some nerves here, Hull surprising many which is good as well. Great finish from Snodgrass for Hull's second goal.

I'm cautiously optimistic about today's game and this season in general. I mean in the space of 3 weeks, we've announced a new manager, got 4 players in which is good I guess.

Comment

Leicester showing some nerves here, Hull surprising many which is good as well. Great finish from Snodgrass for Hull's second goal.

I'm cautiously optimistic about today's game and this season in general. I mean in the space of 3 weeks, we've announced a new manager, got 4 players in which is good I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by HR View Post
                It seems like the only thing that can be predicted this season is unpredictability.
                What did I say? I don't think anyone remotely saw that coming given the chaos that Hull came into this game in. A fantastic performance by them today, and great credit has to go to Mike Phelan for his organisation under the circumstances. They didn't have a bad player.

I think this showed that it's going to be very difficult for Leicester this season to live up to any sort of expectation. Hull showed what teams started to cotton on to very last last season, where playing a deep defensive line really blunts the counter attack effectiveness - Vardy was almost anonymous for the entire match. They were fortunate to get the penalty which was wrongly awarded, and struggled to create clear cut opportunities in the second half. There will have to be a more definite plan B if they want to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by HR View Post
                  It seems like the only thing that can be predicted this season is unpredictability.
                  What did I say? I don't think anyone remotely saw that coming given the chaos that Hull came into this game in. A fantastic performance by them today, and great credit has to go to Mike Phelan for his organisation under the circumstances. They didn't have a bad player.

I think this showed that it's going to be very difficult for Leicester this season to live up to any sort of expectation. Hull showed what teams started to cotton on to very last last season, where playing a deep defensive line really blunts the counter attack effectiveness - Vardy was almost anonymous for the entire match. They were fortunate to get the penalty which was wrongly awarded, and struggled to create clear cut opportunities in the second half. There will have to be a more definite plan B if they want to succeed.

Comment

[MENTION=147]HR[/MENTION] Well, look in the prediction thread and I predicted a Hull win (not correct scoreline or scorer) but still...

Comment

[MENTION=147]HR[/MENTION] Well, look in the prediction thread and I predicted a Hull win (not correct scoreline or scorer) but still...

Comment

Hello gents

I know it's too early really to say who is going to win and whom will get relegated But for me,after the 1st round of games , i think Man City,Liverpool, Manchester United are going to be the 3 stand out teams of the season and you could well add Chelsea into that mixture too for the teams who will Contest for the Pl title and Champions league places, Spurs,Arsenal,West ham , and maybe Leicester will be closely behind them, will be very,very surprised if Leicester Hold onto the title, as i reckon the Champions league could Knock them for 6!

I do think that this season the relegation battle will be really tight though this season and will go right down to the wire.
                        <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" id="chat_embed" src="http://www.justin.tv/chat/embed?channel=gaz77uk&default_chat=jtv&popout_chat =true#r=-rid-&s=em" height="500" width="300"></iframe>

Comment

Hello gents

I know it's too early really to say who is going to win and whom will get relegated But for me,after the 1st round of games , i think Man City,Liverpool, Manchester United are going to be the 3 stand out teams of the season and you could well add Chelsea into that mixture too for the teams who will Contest for the Pl title and Champions league places, Spurs,Arsenal,West ham , and maybe Leicester will be closely behind them, will be very,very surprised if Leicester Hold onto the title, as i reckon the Champions league could Knock them for 6!

I do think that this season the relegation battle will be really tight though this season and will go right down to the wire.
                          <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" id="chat_embed" src="http://www.justin.tv/chat/embed?channel=gaz77uk&default_chat=jtv&popout_chat =true#r=-rid-&s=em" height="500" width="300"></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                            Fair play, that was a good prediction. No reigning champion had lost their opening game of the following season in the history of the Premier League!

A vintage Liverpool vs Arsenal game this morning, summing up both teams perfectly; Liverpool as ever mercurial, brilliant at their best but quite awful at their worst. Klavan looks like a very good acquisition though as they look to solidify in defence - an absolute snip at 4 million. They desperately need to sign a right back before the transfer window closes, as Moreno is simply not up to the task and will be exploited by the myriad of pacey, direct wingers that almost all clubs have these days. Arsenal have their injuries to fall back on, but this game was a mini-version of last season for them - great at the start, falling apart in the middle, and then recovering again at the end to give false hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                              Fair play, that was a good prediction. No reigning champion had lost their opening game of the following season in the history of the Premier League!

A vintage Liverpool vs Arsenal game this morning, summing up both teams perfectly; Liverpool as ever mercurial, brilliant at their best but quite awful at their worst. Klavan looks like a very good acquisition though as they look to solidify in defence - an absolute snip at 4 million. They desperately need to sign a right back before the transfer window closes, as Moreno is simply not up to the task and will be exploited by the myriad of pacey, direct wingers that almost all clubs have these days. Arsenal have their injuries to fall back on, but this game was a mini-version of last season for them - great at the start, falling apart in the middle, and then recovering again at the end to give false hope.

Comment

Working...
                              X