College Baseball Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Baseball Discussion Thread

I know this won't get a huge response, but when has that ever stopped me?

The season is about a week and a half away from starting and every poll I have seen, without exception, is declaring Texas Christian #1. This is no surprise as Texas Christian returns nearly all of a team that made it to Omaha last year. However, anything can happen. Last year's champions had never been to the College World Series and were a #2 seed in a bottom 8 regional. 3 super regional hosts made it to Omaha and 2 were gone by their second game.

I'm expecting the ACC to be the best conference from top to bottom. The SEC is a little top heavy with nothing after the first four or five teams. The Big 12 will have a seeded team or two in the end and a few more in the tournament, but they will be separated into 3 tiers with a large dropoff in between each. This leaves the WCC and Pac 12 as the last two major conferences and between the two, I see one team on the same level as the tops of the previously mentioned conferences.

Geaux Tigers.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

Re: College Baseball Discussion Thread

Is there is a better way to start a season than hitting a home run on the pitcher's 11th pitch? Dwanya Williams-Sutton gave ECU a 1-0 lead in the team's first at-bat of the season. With Ole Miss about to come to bat for the first time the Pirates lead 1-0. Ole Miss's first batter hit a home run to start the season last year.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Is there is a better way to start a season than hitting a home run on the pitcher's 11th pitch? Dwanya Williams-Sutton gave ECU a 1-0 lead in the team's first at-bat of the season. With Ole Miss about to come to bat for the first time the Pirates lead 1-0. Ole Miss's first batter hit a home run to start the season last year.
      -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Yesterday Jared Poche threw the first solo no hitter for LSU since the '70s. Take that, West Point.
        -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Yesterday Jared Poche threw the first solo no hitter for LSU since the '70s. Take that, West Point.
          -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Jared Poche has now pitched 15 innings and given up one hit.
            -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Jared Poche has now pitched 15 innings and given up one hit.
              -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Have to think Wake is locked in as a host if they win today.

Comment

Have to think Wake is locked in as a host if they win today.

Comment

I agree. Their RPI is already 12 and there are 16 hosts.

By the way, how bad does a team have to be to lose every game? St. Peter's went 0-38 this year and they're in the MEAC. They didn't exactly play the elite of the elite every week.

By the way [MENTION=12257]Hitman Hart[/MENTION], what's your opinion on the new ACC tournament format? I preferred the old one and the weather seems to agree.
                    Last edited by Sea Slug; 05-26-2017, 05:19 PM.
                    -John Stuart Mill

Comment

By the way, how bad does a team have to be to lose every game? St. Peter's went 0-38 this year and they're in the MEAC. They didn't exactly play the elite of the elite every week.

By the way [MENTION=12257]Hitman Hart[/MENTION], what's your opinion on the new ACC tournament format? I preferred the old one and the weather seems to agree.
                      -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Here's a bracket. The regionals are all double elimination tournaments hosted by the highest ranked team.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-brac...seball/d1/2017

No surprise that 1 and 2 are Oregon St and North Carolina (same two teams that made the championship series 10 years ago). The Beavers had one of the best seasons in history with a record of 49-4 and the Tar Heels went 47-12 on the 19th ranked strength of schedule.

I am surprised by McNeese St. being left out. A 42 RPI and a regular season conference championship wasn't enough to cover losing 4 out of the last 6 games.

I say this every year and I've been wrong every year since 2009, but I'm saying it again, LSU will once again win the College World Series.
                        -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Here's a bracket. The regionals are all double elimination tournaments hosted by the highest ranked team.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-brac...seball/d1/2017

No surprise that 1 and 2 are Oregon St and North Carolina (same two teams that made the championship series 10 years ago). The Beavers had one of the best seasons in history with a record of 49-4 and the Tar Heels went 47-12 on the 19th ranked strength of schedule.

I am surprised by McNeese St. being left out. A 42 RPI and a regular season conference championship wasn't enough to cover losing 4 out of the last 6 games.

I say this every year and I've been wrong every year since 2009, but I'm saying it again, LSU will once again win the College World Series.
                          -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Slug View Post

ACC Tournament format was changed this year because UNC got screwed over by the old format last year. UNC missed the ACC Tournament last year and that caused them to be left out of the NCAA's because you can't have a school that missed their conference's tournament make it into the big dance.

New format was just a mess. I usually think people who make conspiracy theories about the ACC being biased towards UNC are crazy, but shit like this doesn't help quiet those folks down.

Also, hopefully the ACC doesn't decide to touch Louisville as a location for the ACC Baseball Tournament again. They were only there because of HB2, which was resolved earlier this year. Wish I could say the same about Brooklyn as a host for the Men's Basketball Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Slug View Post

ACC Tournament format was changed this year because UNC got screwed over by the old format last year. UNC missed the ACC Tournament last year and that caused them to be left out of the NCAA's because you can't have a school that missed their conference's tournament make it into the big dance.

New format was just a mess. I usually think people who make conspiracy theories about the ACC being biased towards UNC are crazy, but shit like this doesn't help quiet those folks down.

Also, hopefully the ACC doesn't decide to touch Louisville as a location for the ACC Baseball Tournament again. They were only there because of HB2, which was resolved earlier this year. Wish I could say the same about Brooklyn as a host for the Men's Basketball Tournament.

Comment

Working...
                              X