Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MLB Official Offseason Thread

Originally posted by The Hypeman View Post
    Donaldson finishing behind Betts is garbage, but at least Betts didn't win MVP.

Adrian Beltre and David Ortiz got first place votes.
    Damn those biased Boston voters that have Mookie the win huh.

All credit goes to surrender!

Comment

I wanna hear this argument. Trout finishing ahead of Betts is more than reasonable. When you're the best player in baseball you are an MVP candidate any year you are healthy and perform to standard. But I don't see any reasonable argument for Donaldson over Betts.

Comment

I wanna hear this argument. Trout finishing ahead of Betts is more than reasonable. When you're the best player in baseball you are an MVP candidate any year you are healthy and perform to standard. But I don't see any reasonable argument for Donaldson over Betts.

Comment

Gary Sanchez got robbed, not his fault he didn't get called up earlier.
          Currently Playing:
          Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

Comment

Gary Sanchez got robbed, not his fault he didn't get called up earlier.
            Currently Playing:
            Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

Comment

Originally posted by The Show View Post
              I didn't say Boston writers specifically were biased. But I've always believed that sports writers generally have a bias for Boston and I think that the Cy and MVP results reflect that.

Originally posted by The Real LT View Post
              Donaldson has better offensive stats and plays a tougher defensive position.

Comment

Originally posted by The Show View Post
                I didn't say Boston writers specifically were biased. But I've always believed that sports writers generally have a bias for Boston and I think that the Cy and MVP results reflect that.

Comment

Betts had a 9.6 WAR, Donaldson only had a 7.4 So you might want to rethink that.

Comment

Betts had a 9.6 WAR, Donaldson only had a 7.4 So you might want to rethink that.

Comment

WAR isn't rating offense, it's attempting to rate every facet of the game that a player impacts. wRC+ rates offense and that's it. Donaldson's wRC+ was 155 and Betts had 135.

I don't know how bWAR is calculated, but Betts has 7.8 fWAR and Donaldson has 7.6, and his lead is entirely due to them giving Betts and Donaldson a massive disparity in fielding. Fangraphs uses UZR as the base for measuring defensive impact on its WAR calculation. Betts has played a bit over 2 years and even the creators of UZR admit that two years is too small of a sample to accurately measure a players' fielding abilities. Outfield defense is even more volatile than other positions, and to me it looks like his impact is getting overrated by UZR. He's getting turned from a great outfielder into a top 3 outfielder which I don't think is accurate based off of what I've seen. He's getting placed in the neighborhood of Kevin Pillar, and if Mookie was that good, he'd replace JBJ in CF. I watched a lot of Betts and Donaldson this season, and I never got the impression that Mookie is better than Donaldson on defense, let alone several orders of magnitude better.

Comment

WAR isn't rating offense, it's attempting to rate every facet of the game that a player impacts. wRC+ rates offense and that's it. Donaldson's wRC+ was 155 and Betts had 135.

I don't know how bWAR is calculated, but Betts has 7.8 fWAR and Donaldson has 7.6, and his lead is entirely due to them giving Betts and Donaldson a massive disparity in fielding. Fangraphs uses UZR as the base for measuring defensive impact on its WAR calculation. Betts has played a bit over 2 years and even the creators of UZR admit that two years is too small of a sample to accurately measure a players' fielding abilities. Outfield defense is even more volatile than other positions, and to me it looks like his impact is getting overrated by UZR. He's getting turned from a great outfielder into a top 3 outfielder which I don't think is accurate based off of what I've seen. He's getting placed in the neighborhood of Kevin Pillar, and if Mookie was that good, he'd replace JBJ in CF. I watched a lot of Betts and Donaldson this season, and I never got the impression that Mookie is better than Donaldson on defense, let alone several orders of magnitude better.

Comment

Donaldson over Betts is the biggest LOL ive heard in a while.

Banner Credit: Spike

Comment

Donaldson over Betts is the biggest LOL ive heard in a while.

Banner Credit: Spike

Comment

Huge news for Mets fans. The Mets have resigned Yoenis Cespedes to a 4 year, 110 MIL contract. That's the highest paid for a hitter not named Miguel Cabrera. When the Yankees go to sign Mike Trout (hopefully), that money is going to be YUGE.

I don't see the Mets being able to keep all their pitchers, though. This could be the beginning of the end for Matt Harvey. This may also be the reason they didn't try and resign Daniel Murphy last season. They were waiting for Yoenis.

Comment

Huge news for Mets fans. The Mets have resigned Yoenis Cespedes to a 4 year, 110 MIL contract. That's the highest paid for a hitter not named Miguel Cabrera. When the Yankees go to sign Mike Trout (hopefully), that money is going to be YUGE.

I don't see the Mets being able to keep all their pitchers, though. This could be the beginning of the end for Matt Harvey. This may also be the reason they didn't try and resign Daniel Murphy last season. They were waiting for Yoenis.

Comment

Working...
                                X