The Judgment-Free Questions Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Judgment-Free Questions Thread

First off I'd like to congratulate Shinobi, mike & Rags on their new roles here in the Empire. *Foley cheap pop*

I love stealing ideas from other mods and I'd like to thank the lovely people at www.reddit.com/r/nfl for this idea. With the NFL playoffs starting today they started a thread for anyone to ask questions about the frightening sport that is American football, completely judgement free. I love that idea and I think we can apply it to all sports.

We all flock to the sub-forums we like here in the Sports Empire and find our niches in the sports we grew up loving. In my books, that makes us experts in those sports, and scared little dummies in the others, depending on the topic. Maybe we're afraid to ask in those forums because we want to be accepted. Maybe we want to look like we know more than we do in order to be part of the deeper conversation going on. Maybe I'm alone in this and this thread is a terrible idea, who knows if we don't ask!? (if this takes off I'd like it stickied too, if that's ok with the mods...I mean the fitness questions thread lasted this long...)

You ask the question that you've always wanted to ask, the pros will answer in their professional pro manner. #pro

I'll get the ball rolling:

Soccer tournaments, particularly in the UK, fuck me up. What is the FA Cup? Why do I care that Arsenal is spanking Tottenham right now and might advance?

I grew up with sports that only had one trophy. The Stanley Cup. The Vince Lombardi Trophy. Whatever the World Series trophy is called..."Ol' Flaggy"? That was what every team wanted and that's all that mattered. To me, when you have teams playing for a different trophy every week, it loses its grandeur. Is that the feeling over there? Help me understand.

Thank you for your time. Carry on never browsing this forum until the Olympics.

Re: The Judgment-Free Questions Thread

What is icing in hockey? Also how does overtime work, cause sometimes teams win in overtime, sometimes they win in shootouts, etc.

Comment

If, after regulation, both teams are tied, a sudden death overtime period is played. It lasts 5 minutes, the teams play 4-on-4 instead of the usual 5-on-5 and if a team scores, they win. Both teams get a point for going to overtime and the winning team gets the full two points you would get for a win.

If nobody scores in the overtime period, a shoot out is held. Coaches choose players in sets of 3 to take penalty shots (the player is given the puck at centre and a free path to the net) and the team that scores more goals after three shots are taken by each team wins.

That was the shootout between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings at the Winter Classic on Wednesday (I'll use any excuse to post that). Had Tyler Bozak not scored on his attempt, the shootout would've continued until someone scored. If Detroit scored, Toronto would be given a chance to tie, but not the other way around since Toronto was shooting second.

Side note: if a player is chosen for the shootout, they can't be chosen again until all other players have taken a shot.

As for icing, it's an interesting question, since the rules on icing just changed this year. Basically it's like this:

-Zones are marked by the two blue lines on the ice. If Team A is inside their zone (closest to their net) and they shoot the puck down the ice to Team B's end without it being touched AND it crosses the goal line (last red line on the ice marking the goal), it's icing.
      -The puck comes back to Team A's zone for a face off. Team A is not allowed to make a line change, but Team B can if they want.

The puck has to cross the goal line and Team B has to be on the clear path to touching the puck (sans the goaltender..he can play the puck, but if he does it isn't icing anymore and play continues). In the past, Team B had to actually touch the puck and if a player from Team A got there first, play continued and they now had possession inside their opponent's zone. Team A had incentive to do whatever it took to get there first and races towards the boards were ending in injury quite often. The rules changed this year so that nobody had to touch the puck for the play to be blown dead in order to try and avoid stuff like this happening

EDIT: Forgot to mention one thing..if your team is killing a penalty, you are allowed to ice the puck as many times as you want. Play will always continue until the penalty is over.

Comment

Originally posted by RT View Post
        Soccer tournaments, particularly in the UK, fuck me up. What is the FA Cup? Why do I care that Arsenal is spanking Tottenham right now and might advance?

I grew up with sports that only had one trophy. The Stanley Cup. The Vince Lombardi Trophy. Whatever the World Series trophy is called..."Ol' Flaggy"? That was what every team wanted and that's all that mattered. To me, when you have teams playing for a different trophy every week, it loses its grandeur. Is that the feeling over there? Help me understand.
        It has lost some of it's appeal the past few years, has the FA Cup, and I can see the lack of appeal to oversea football fans. It's the oldest association football competition in the world and you have teams from the Premier League right down to amateur teams playing in little district leagues over England, so this season, a total of 737 clubs entered the tournament. A good amount of appeal was because of the games you could end up seeing. For example, you could have the greatest team in Premier League history, Manchester United, travelling to play West Didsbury & Chorlton, who play North West Counties Football League Premier Division. There's just so many potential matchups, smaller teams from lower leagues getting dream ties against teams they never thought they'd come up against, and potential for giant killings and fairytale cup runs. Anyone can beat anyone. Proven last season with Wigan beating Man City in the final. Proven in 2008 when Cardiff, then in the Championship made it to the Final.

Along with those fairy tale cup runs, back in the day, there weren't many opportunities to play at Wembley. The FA Cup Final was the season climax. It was at Wembley, and for some players, it'd be a once in a lifetime appearance. Hell, even though I'm Scottish, I remember as a kid looking forward to the 3pm kick off on the first Saturday after the end of the season. It was the same with the Scottish Cup. Just being excited about the domestic competition. Seeing your team play at the national stadium. The chance to win the trophy and make history. For some players, this is their best opportunity to win a domestic trophy. It's a shame it doesn't get the appreciation it used to.

Love the thread idea btw RT. Kudos for bringing it to the table.
        TBG Poster Of The Year 2011
        TBG Poster Of The Year 2009 (w/ Froggy & HitmanHBK)

Comment

Why the fuck do some NBA jerseys have sleeves now?

Comment

They want to make some more money on alternate jerseys is what I've read.

Comment

Ah, should have known. They look horrendous though.

The face says it all.

Comment

They look like lost volleyball players.

sen. gave me exactly the answer I was looking for. That's what I needed to hear to be sold on something like that. My dad was really good at hockey when he was a teenager and played for his local team (Aurora Tigers). Imagine if he had the possibility of playing a championship game against a bigger club at Maple Leaf Gardens. Crazy to think about.

GO FA CUP! WOO!

Comment

Working...
                X