The Judgment-Free Questions Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Judgment-Free Questions Thread

I have absolutely no idea what constitutes a catch in professional football. The most I know (and I'm not even confident about this) is that, as opposed to college, the NFL requires two feet to touch the ground upon catching the ball. For instance, just watching the Bengals/Chargers game today, there were like 4 different reviews over catches and I had no understanding of what was going on.

Comment

Both feet have to be in bounds when you gain possession of the ball and you have to maintain possession throughout the "process" of the catch. That means if you're falling to catch it you have to hold on through the fall and not let it come out. If you catch it on your feet in the middle of the field you show possession by making a football move. For instance in the Bengals game on the fumble at the end of the first half, Bernard caught the ball and had possession as evidenced by him taking two steps with the ball before losing it.

Comment

I thought you had to make two "football moves" to have possession?

Comment

Originally posted by RT
          I thought you had to make two "football moves" to have possession?
          In the playing field , and its technically only one "football move" , although that seems to be more subjective depending on the referee.

On the sidelines , mikec summed it up beautifully.

Comment

What exactly are the rules and objectives in Cricket? I literally have no idea what I'm watching with that game.

Comment

Originally posted by RT View Post
              Soccer tournaments, particularly in the UK, fuck me up. What is the FA Cup?
              I had the same problem for a long time. My cousin explained it to me a few months ago.

Originally posted by The Real LT
              What exactly are the rules and objectives in Cricket? I literally have no idea what I'm watching with that game.
              This was going to be my question.

Comment

I'll have a go at answering about cricket though I wish I saved all those PM's I had with Ice when he asked about cricket. The base objective is the same as baseball. The batting team tries to get as many runs as possible and the fielding team tries to ensure they score as little as possible.

Instead of 3 outs, the fielding team has to get ten before a team can be considered all out. In baseball I assume there could technically be unlimited pitches per inning if someone just kept fouling it off, mind you I know next to nothing about that sport so some comparisons may be off.

A bowler (pitcher) gets six balls which equals one over (half an inning).

A batter can score anywhere between one and six runs depending on where the balls and how fast he can run between the creases. A six (home run) or four (ball that hits the wall and runner gets into second.)

I'm typing this and realising it may sound confusing. Perhaps individual questions about what confuses you about cricket would be more beneficial. The basic objective is what I outlined initially, whichever team scores the most runs in a certain period (or in test cricket it's when the captain declares or his side gets bowled out twice) wins the game.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Originally posted by The Miz
                I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
                Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

Comment

Originally posted by Oncall
                  The base objective is the same as baseball. The batting team tries to get as many runs as possible and the fielding team tries to ensure they score as little as possible.

Instead of 3 outs, the fielding team has to get ten before a team can be considered all out. In baseball I assume there could technically be unlimited pitches per inning if someone just kept fouling it off, mind you I know next to nothing about that sport so some comparisons may be off.

A bowler (pitcher) gets six balls which equals one over (half an inning).

A batter can score anywhere between one and six runs depending on where the balls and how fast he can run between the creases. A six (home run) or four (ball that hits the wall and runner gets into second.)

Originally posted by Oncall
                  Perhaps individual questions about what confuses you about cricket would be more beneficial.
                  Let's try it this way.

If the bowler knocks over all the sticks (the wicket?) does that mean the batter is out? (Baseball equivalent of a strike out, perhaps?)

I was under the assumption that all ten batsmen batted in an inning (or I guess "over" would be the proper term)? And they kept running the bases until they were out?

For example: You hit the ball and run to one base for one run. Then you run to the next base for another run. But if you're called out running to the third base, you're off the basepaths, but you scored two runs for your team? And the inning is over when all ten players bat? But Oncall's explanation doesn't sound like that at all. Now I'm really confused.

They don't have a diamond shaped field like in baseball, right? It's just two bases and the players keep running back and forth?

Is there foul territory? I thought any hit, no matter where it went, was in play?

How many innings are in a cricket match?

Are they even called cricket matches? Or is cricket games the preferred term?

What do you mean by "the bowler gets six balls?" Where do these balls go? Or does that mean six balls, as in the baseball equivalent of bad pitches? If so, what happens if he throws a seventh ball? A walk?

Are there walks?

What happens if the bowler bends his arm on a pitch?

Is there a halftime? Every cricket match I see on British TV always has a bunch of people lying around drinking tea. Kind of like a picnic. These people are fans, but the players usually join them at some point. So, halftime?

Does a caught fly ball constitute an out as in baseball?

Does a fielder have to tag the baserunner like in baseball? Or is it more like plays at first base where the throw just needs to beat the runner?

That's enough for now. I'll probably have more later if anybody bothers to answer these questions. Maybe I should have just PMed Oncall to begin with

Comment

Working...
                  X