Relocation and Being a Fan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocation and Being a Fan

In the last year, we have seen two NFL teams relocate to Los Angeles. That's just the recent examples with there being plenty of examples across many sports leagues. Some here like SM for example have been affected by teams moving to a different city. If your favourite team left your city, would you continue to support them and be a fan?

Re: Relocation and Being a Fan

I'm from STL as well and the move was really hard on me. I can't bring myself to follow the Rams anymore, but what I wasn't expecting was how little my interest in NFL as a whole would be. I maybe watched 3 games all season. Needless to say, Sunday NFL Ticket was a waste.

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Comment

I'm from STL as well and the move was really hard on me. I can't bring myself to follow the Rams anymore, but what I wasn't expecting was how little my interest in NFL as a whole would be. I maybe watched 3 games all season. Needless to say, Sunday NFL Ticket was a waste.

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Comment

My teams aren't leaving. LSU's main campus will remain in Baton Rouge. It's one more reason why I prefer college sports to pro. As far as teams moving goes, I say "Go Saints and take the Pelicans with you."
        If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
        -John Stuart Mill

Comment

My teams aren't leaving. LSU's main campus will remain in Baton Rouge. It's one more reason why I prefer college sports to pro. As far as teams moving goes, I say "Go Saints and take the Pelicans with you."
          If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
          -John Stuart Mill

Comment

I remember seeing the Titans wearing the Oilers throwbacks whenever that was they were celebrating the AFL 50 year anniversary, that shit made me sick to my stomach. Tennessee never wanted the Oilers, they were mad at Bud Adams because he went back on one of the original agreements for the move to change the name, they changed their name and logo and the Oilers were officially "retired" by the NFL, something they never did. To me that was them signifying that they didn't want the Oilers history they wanted to start over with something new that was theirs. Then a few years later one of the only ways that Bud Adams would vote to approve the Texans the new franchise was if he got to maintain all of the Oilers history/uniforms, etc. To see the Titans wearing that shit makes me sick.

Comment

I remember seeing the Titans wearing the Oilers throwbacks whenever that was they were celebrating the AFL 50 year anniversary, that shit made me sick to my stomach. Tennessee never wanted the Oilers, they were mad at Bud Adams because he went back on one of the original agreements for the move to change the name, they changed their name and logo and the Oilers were officially "retired" by the NFL, something they never did. To me that was them signifying that they didn't want the Oilers history they wanted to start over with something new that was theirs. Then a few years later one of the only ways that Bud Adams would vote to approve the Texans the new franchise was if he got to maintain all of the Oilers history/uniforms, etc. To see the Titans wearing that shit makes me sick.

Comment

"A lot of the younger guys are excited about going to Tennessee but to tell you the truth, I haven't felt that excitement yet. I'm a Houston Oiler, and no matter how many years I play in Tennessee, I'll always be a Houston Oiler. I've got a lot of fond memories of the years I've spent in this place. When some guys would sign with other teams, they'd tell me how nice their facilities were and what a dump this place is. But you know what? I've grown to kind of like this place. It may be a dump, but it's been my dump."

-Bruce Matthews, 1997

Here we are 20 years later, we got a new team in Houston and they are in the AFC Division playoff going against the best quarterback and coach in NFL history as historic underdogs, if we win we would possibly go to Pittsburgh to play the Steelers for the AFC Championship, and if we win that the Super Bowl is right next door to the fucking Astrodome. I've never been so fucking jacked in my fucking life. You couldn't script a movie to play out any more perfectly. I feel sorry for San Diego and St. Louis football fans, I really know what they feel like and one day soon I hope they get to feel what I feel right now for the fucking Texans.

Comment

"A lot of the younger guys are excited about going to Tennessee but to tell you the truth, I haven't felt that excitement yet. I'm a Houston Oiler, and no matter how many years I play in Tennessee, I'll always be a Houston Oiler. I've got a lot of fond memories of the years I've spent in this place. When some guys would sign with other teams, they'd tell me how nice their facilities were and what a dump this place is. But you know what? I've grown to kind of like this place. It may be a dump, but it's been my dump."

-Bruce Matthews, 1997

Here we are 20 years later, we got a new team in Houston and they are in the AFC Division playoff going against the best quarterback and coach in NFL history as historic underdogs, if we win we would possibly go to Pittsburgh to play the Steelers for the AFC Championship, and if we win that the Super Bowl is right next door to the fucking Astrodome. I've never been so fucking jacked in my fucking life. You couldn't script a movie to play out any more perfectly. I feel sorry for San Diego and St. Louis football fans, I really know what they feel like and one day soon I hope they get to feel what I feel right now for the fucking Texans.

Comment

I've been pretty lucky as a KC fan in being born at the right time because they've lost basketball and baseball teams, just not in my lifetime.

The closest thing we have to franchise heartache is a company that sold the city an arena promising it would attract the NHL or NBA and then ducking out of town after they got paid.

Comment

I've been pretty lucky as a KC fan in being born at the right time because they've lost basketball and baseball teams, just not in my lifetime.

The closest thing we have to franchise heartache is a company that sold the city an arena promising it would attract the NHL or NBA and then ducking out of town after they got paid.

Comment

I experienced this when I was 15 and the Winnipeg Jets left for Phoenix. If you're not Canadian, growing up with hockey in your blood, you probably can't understand the connection to an NHL franchise. I'm sure there may be some similarities for other sports, but there's a certain part about being Canadian and loving hockey that go together. Growing up in a city where some of my first memories were learning to skate, playing hockey outdoors, and going to Jets games as a kid...well to lose that NHL team, was heartbreaking. It really damaged the psyche of Winnipeg (if a city can even have a psyche) because we're about 700000. Not a huge city, but by having a major professional sports franchise, well, people in America at least heard of us. In our minds, without an NHL team, we were just a little city with nothing going for it. I immediately switched allegiances, and cheered for the Red Wings for 15 years until the Jets came back in 2011 Now I'm a partial season ticket holder, doing my best to support the team so they never leave again.

Incidentally enough, because this is a wrestling message board, I'll share this tidbit - When the Jets were in Tampa last week, Chris Jericho was there wearing a Jets jersey. Then on Monday, at a game in Winnipeg that I was at, Brock Lesnar and Sable (and their kids) were there. Lesnar lives about 2 hours away and decided to come and catch a game. He was given a Jets jersey and wore it all night. Pretty cool. Jericho makes sense since he's from Winnipeg, and well Lesnar is from South Dakota.

-Hayze

Originally posted by iNCY
                        yes I am a little bitch.

Comment

I experienced this when I was 15 and the Winnipeg Jets left for Phoenix. If you're not Canadian, growing up with hockey in your blood, you probably can't understand the connection to an NHL franchise. I'm sure there may be some similarities for other sports, but there's a certain part about being Canadian and loving hockey that go together. Growing up in a city where some of my first memories were learning to skate, playing hockey outdoors, and going to Jets games as a kid...well to lose that NHL team, was heartbreaking. It really damaged the psyche of Winnipeg (if a city can even have a psyche) because we're about 700000. Not a huge city, but by having a major professional sports franchise, well, people in America at least heard of us. In our minds, without an NHL team, we were just a little city with nothing going for it. I immediately switched allegiances, and cheered for the Red Wings for 15 years until the Jets came back in 2011 Now I'm a partial season ticket holder, doing my best to support the team so they never leave again.

Incidentally enough, because this is a wrestling message board, I'll share this tidbit - When the Jets were in Tampa last week, Chris Jericho was there wearing a Jets jersey. Then on Monday, at a game in Winnipeg that I was at, Brock Lesnar and Sable (and their kids) were there. Lesnar lives about 2 hours away and decided to come and catch a game. He was given a Jets jersey and wore it all night. Pretty cool. Jericho makes sense since he's from Winnipeg, and well Lesnar is from South Dakota.

-Hayze

Originally posted by iNCY
                          yes I am a little bitch.

Comment

I can't lie, I would love to see an NHL team come to Houston. I don't know if I could root too hard for a team that already sold out on somebody though. Hopefully they do an expansion team here someday.

Speaking of, I wonder if we will see them do new expansion teams in San Diego and St. Louis now that those markets are open. I know it was 3-4 years after the Oilers left somebody started making moves for a new team here in Houston. Also interesting was that the NFL was seriously considering another offer from Los Angeles for the new team in 2002 when they decided to expand to 32. Bob Mcnair Texans owner kind of stole the franchise away at the last minute with a fucking ridiculous amount of money(probably close to 1 billion when all said and done), to think instead of the Houston Texans in 2002 it could have been the Los Angeles _______.

I was always interested in how Cleveland was able to keep their history, logo, team colors etc when the Browns moved to Baltimore. I wonder if San Diego could get a similar deal?
                            Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-13-2017, 12:35 AM.

Comment

I can't lie, I would love to see an NHL team come to Houston. I don't know if I could root too hard for a team that already sold out on somebody though. Hopefully they do an expansion team here someday.

Speaking of, I wonder if we will see them do new expansion teams in San Diego and St. Louis now that those markets are open. I know it was 3-4 years after the Oilers left somebody started making moves for a new team here in Houston. Also interesting was that the NFL was seriously considering another offer from Los Angeles for the new team in 2002 when they decided to expand to 32. Bob Mcnair Texans owner kind of stole the franchise away at the last minute with a fucking ridiculous amount of money(probably close to 1 billion when all said and done), to think instead of the Houston Texans in 2002 it could have been the Los Angeles _______.

I was always interested in how Cleveland was able to keep their history, logo, team colors etc when the Browns moved to Baltimore. I wonder if San Diego could get a similar deal?

Comment

Working...
                              X