Rio 2016: The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio 2016: The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

The events have started even if the opening ceremony has not, so a thread on the world's favorite human interest stories with sports sprinkled in seems appropriate. Despite my petition, beating a country in an event does not mean you get to keep it or even burn it.

Players have been robbed and zika is in full swing. Discuss.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

Re: 2016 Olympics: or How Much More Can Go Wrong?

Hopefully women's soccer keeps their gold tonight. They're favored to win over New Zealand.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

Comment

Hopefully women's soccer keeps their gold tonight. They're favored to win over New Zealand.

Thank you Surrender!!!
      Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
      If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

Comment

I'm really amazed the games went ahead despite the appalling conditions. After Russia two years ago and now Rio, it's going to take nothing short of a major terrorist attack for the organizers to even think about canceling something.

I get that as an Olympic athlete, you're basically spending your entire life to get to this point and nothing else matters, but with all the health and crime risks why would you go? You want to contract a horrible virus from the water? You want to spread Zika? You want to get mugged at gunpoint? Obviously this won't happen to everyone but the reports in just the last week alone have been astounding.

Comment

I'm really amazed the games went ahead despite the appalling conditions. After Russia two years ago and now Rio, it's going to take nothing short of a major terrorist attack for the organizers to even think about canceling something.

I get that as an Olympic athlete, you're basically spending your entire life to get to this point and nothing else matters, but with all the health and crime risks why would you go? You want to contract a horrible virus from the water? You want to spread Zika? You want to get mugged at gunpoint? Obviously this won't happen to everyone but the reports in just the last week alone have been astounding.

Comment

We're just two days away from the official start of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, the first games to be held in South America. There are so many stories that the games will be telling. Some good, and others bad. And since I like to end things on good notes, let's start with the bad.

The Zika Virus

As you may know, there is a new threat coming from mosquitos. Zika has its roots in Brazil, and can cause major birth defects. It can be transmitted from not only bites, but also from sexual transmission with those who were bitten. As a result, some Olympians are opting to stay home from the games. The most notable of them are golfers Jason Day, Rory McIllroy, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Speith, and tennis star Milos Raonic.

Rio Itself

Rio is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. But that's only on the outside. Inside, most of the city is in shambles. Exposed wires in the slums, major crime waves, raw sewage flowing down alleys, corrupt politians, and pollution in the water are just some of the major problems this city has to deal with. It's gonna take a miracle to pull the games off without a hitch.

Russia, and Doping

Then there's Russia. They have a state-run doping agency, dead set on making the Russian athletes the most dominate force in the world. However, they got caught, and the IAAF, the governing force on athletics, dropped the hammer. And as a result, the entire Russian track & field team, has been barred from competing in Rio. Their weightlifting and canoe/kayak/rowing teams have also been banned by their respective governing bodies. And now the IOC may intervene and could ban all athletes from competing. Stay tuned.

Now that we've taking care of all the bad stuff, let's get to the good stuff.

The Return of Golf and Rugby

112 years after its last appearance in the games, Golf will be making it's return to the Olympic program. Bubba Watson, Sergio Garcia, and Padrig Harrington are expected to be the favorites on the men's side. While for the women, look for Lydia Ko, Brooke Henderson, and Lexi Thompson to be medal favorites. While in Rugby, expect the usual suspects as favorites in the men's side. That means Great Britain, New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, and Fiji. Same for the women's, except look for France to get on the podium.

The Greatest Olympians' Greatest Swan Song

Michael Phelps, and Usain Bolt. Two of the greatest athletes not just of this generation, but perhaps of all time. Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all time, has 22 medals to date. 18 of which, are gold. He will take to the pool one last time, as a victory lap for all of his accomplishments. While on the track, no one in Olympic History has been as fast, or as dominate, as the man they call "The Lightning Bolt." His swan song could be history making. After winning three golds in Both Beijing and London, Bolt may become the first person to pull off the Triple-Triple (Golds in the 100m, 200m, and the 4x100m relay in three straight Olympics).

There you have it. Over 200 countries, 10,000 athletes, over 300 events, and the world watching. Despite all its shortcomings, I have the confidence that Rio will put on a great Olympics. Enjoy.
            Last edited by CM Punk'd; 08-04-2016, 11:05 AM.

Still My Champ
            Thanks, surrender.

Comment

We're just two days away from the official start of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, the first games to be held in South America. There are so many stories that the games will be telling. Some good, and others bad. And since I like to end things on good notes, let's start with the bad.

The Zika Virus

As you may know, there is a new threat coming from mosquitos. Zika has its roots in Brazil, and can cause major birth defects. It can be transmitted from not only bites, but also from sexual transmission with those who were bitten. As a result, some Olympians are opting to stay home from the games. The most notable of them are golfers Jason Day, Rory McIllroy, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Speith, and tennis star Milos Raonic.

Rio Itself

Rio is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. But that's only on the outside. Inside, most of the city is in shambles. Exposed wires in the slums, major crime waves, raw sewage flowing down alleys, corrupt politians, and pollution in the water are just some of the major problems this city has to deal with. It's gonna take a miracle to pull the games off without a hitch.

Russia, and Doping

Then there's Russia. They have a state-run doping agency, dead set on making the Russian athletes the most dominate force in the world. However, they got caught, and the IAAF, the governing force on athletics, dropped the hammer. And as a result, the entire Russian track & field team, has been barred from competing in Rio. Their weightlifting and canoe/kayak/rowing teams have also been banned by their respective governing bodies. And now the IOC may intervene and could ban all athletes from competing. Stay tuned.

Now that we've taking care of all the bad stuff, let's get to the good stuff.

The Return of Golf and Rugby

112 years after its last appearance in the games, Golf will be making it's return to the Olympic program. Bubba Watson, Sergio Garcia, and Padrig Harrington are expected to be the favorites on the men's side. While for the women, look for Lydia Ko, Brooke Henderson, and Lexi Thompson to be medal favorites. While in Rugby, expect the usual suspects as favorites in the men's side. That means Great Britain, New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, and Fiji. Same for the women's, except look for France to get on the podium.

The Greatest Olympians' Greatest Swan Song

Michael Phelps, and Usain Bolt. Two of the greatest athletes not just of this generation, but perhaps of all time. Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all time, has 22 medals to date. 18 of which, are gold. He will take to the pool one last time, as a victory lap for all of his accomplishments. While on the track, no one in Olympic History has been as fast, or as dominate, as the man they call "The Lightning Bolt." His swan song could be history making. After winning three golds in Both Beijing and London, Bolt may become the first person to pull off the Triple-Triple (Golds in the 100m, 200m, and the 4x100m relay in three straight Olympics).

There you have it. Over 200 countries, 10,000 athletes, over 300 events, and the world watching. Despite all its shortcomings, I have the confidence that Rio will put on a great Olympics. Enjoy.

Still My Champ
              Thanks, surrender.

Comment

DAMN!!! I spent the last two hours trying to make a good opener to this.

Anyway, good win by our Canadian women's soccer team. 2-0 over the World's #5, Australia. And we got it done with only 10 women on the field for more than an hour.
                Last edited by CM Punk'd; 08-03-2016, 04:08 PM.

Still My Champ
                Thanks, surrender.

Comment

DAMN!!! I spent the last two hours trying to make a good opener to this.

Anyway, good win by our Canadian women's soccer team. 2-0 over the World's #5, Australia. And we got it done with only 10 women on the field for more than an hour.

Still My Champ
                  Thanks, surrender.

Comment

Re: Rio 2016: The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

That's a terrible result for the Matildas, luckily the tournament is set up in a way that a big win over Zimbabwe will probably be enough to qualify for the knockouts.

Comment

That's a terrible result for the Matildas, luckily the tournament is set up in a way that a big win over Zimbabwe will probably be enough to qualify for the knockouts.

Comment

I just heard that Russian swimmers have been banned from the Olympics, as part of the doping scandal.

Still My Champ
                        Thanks, surrender.

Comment

I just heard that Russian swimmers have been banned from the Olympics, as part of the doping scandal.

Still My Champ
                          Thanks, surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by CM Punk'd View Post
                            Where'd you hear that? http://olympics.cbc.ca/video/vod/rus...mpete-rio.html

Anyway, Canadian women out to prove something after their garbage performance against England at the World Cup. Absolutely love that.

Also this: http://www.sportingnews.com/athletic...71faeq2x19az3o

Comment

Originally posted by CM Punk'd View Post
                              Where'd you hear that? http://olympics.cbc.ca/video/vod/rus...mpete-rio.html

Anyway, Canadian women out to prove something after their garbage performance against England at the World Cup. Absolutely love that.

Also this: http://www.sportingnews.com/athletic...71faeq2x19az3o

Comment

Working...
                              X