Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing Sports: Are They Really Worth It?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Sports: Are They Really Worth It?

Recently in Pittsburgh news, there has been several interviews with former players about how they are physically and mentally after their careers have ended. One interview I read was with Antwaan Randle El regretting that he ever played football. In the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, there is a new series with former Penguin Phil Bourque about the problems he's having too.He's admitted to not seeing a doctor because hes' "stubborn". Both guys have long lapses of memory, and have trouble doing simple things such as walking down the stairs. There's other countless stories just like this.

Phil Bourque: Part 1
    Antwaan Randle El story

Bourque said he has not sought medical advice for his memory issues, although he might in the future.

“I’m probably like most people,” he said. “I’ll wait a year. After a year, if it continues, I probably should talk to somebody. But I’m stubborn, like everybody else. It probably will take a lot for me to do that. … But it’s definitely a concern.”
    “The kids are getting bigger and faster, so the concussions, the severe spinal cord injuries, are only going to get worse,” he said in the interview. “It’s a tough pill to swallow because I love the game of football. But I tell parents, ‘You can have the right helmet, the perfect pads on, and still end up with a paraplegic kid.’

“There’s no correcting it. There’s no helmet that’s going to correct it. There’s no teaching that’s going to correct it. It just comes down to it’s a physically violent game. Football players are in a car wreck every week.”
    The question is very simple. With what the world is learning more and more about concussion and post career effects, do you think playing high contact sports such as football and hockey worth it? In instances like Bourque, do you feel this is also connect to hypermasculinity and the macho culture that surrounds these sports?

Re: Playing Sports: Are They Really Worth It?

I think players are starting to become a lot more careless about the way they play. They think that with today's modern equipment and technology, that they could go out there, and attack with reckless abandonment, and nobody would get hurt. That couldn't be more further than the truth.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Comment

I think players are starting to become a lot more careless about the way they play. They think that with today's modern equipment and technology, that they could go out there, and attack with reckless abandonment, and nobody would get hurt. That couldn't be more further than the truth.

Still My Champ
      Thanks, surrender.

Comment

You don't even have to go as far as professional athletes to see the effects of playing sports, I have many friends that have issues with mobility because of playing sports most of their life.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Comment

You don't even have to go as far as professional athletes to see the effects of playing sports, I have many friends that have issues with mobility because of playing sports most of their life.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Comment

It seems the number of people that look back and would still do it all over again is still higher than those that regret playing.

For many, sports is an escape out of a shitty environment. If you grow up in the ghetto, and have the ability to get out of it by using your ability, would you really think "well, living in this crappy slum with gang violence around is much better than what playing football will do to my body".

If a person chooses not to play, I don't blame them. If they choose to, I don't feel bad for the effects on their bodies. Just like unprotected chair shots in wrestling. If you don't want to take them, don't, it want ruin my enjoyment. If you want to do unprotected chair shots, go ahead, I won't feel sympathy for your brain issues in the future.
            Last edited by Leper Messiah; 02-06-2016, 10:51 PM.

Comment

It seems the number of people that look back and would still do it all over again is still higher than those that regret playing.

For many, sports is an escape out of a shitty environment. If you grow up in the ghetto, and have the ability to get out of it by using your ability, would you really think "well, living in this crappy slum with gang violence around is much better than what playing football will do to my body".

If a person chooses not to play, I don't blame them. If they choose to, I don't feel bad for the effects on their bodies. Just like unprotected chair shots in wrestling. If you don't want to take them, don't, it want ruin my enjoyment. If you want to do unprotected chair shots, go ahead, I won't feel sympathy for your brain issues in the future.

Comment

Millions of dollars say yes it is worth it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketmansid View Post
                    All the money in the world wouldn't compensate for living a miserable life from your thirties until death. And the important thing to remember is that it is only a small minority of players who do end up making the big money in the pros, but the head injuries are effecting those who played sports in high school and college for no recompense.

I honestly can't believe how anyone could let their children play dangerous contact sports like American Football with all the stories about the lasting effects of head trauma coming out. The story of Tyler Sash really effected me having watched him play for my team. He was a guy who only played two years in the NFL, yet had the same level of CTE that Junior Seau was discovered to have had. The effects of undocumented sub-concussive impacts on his head throughout school rendered his post-football life unliveable, and he died of a painkiller overdose at just 27. Incredibly sad, and a story that really made me question my position as a fan of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketmansid View Post
                      All the money in the world wouldn't compensate for living a miserable life from your thirties until death. And the important thing to remember is that it is only a small minority of players who do end up making the big money in the pros, but the head injuries are effecting those who played sports in high school and college for no recompense.

I honestly can't believe how anyone could let their children play dangerous contact sports like American Football with all the stories about the lasting effects of head trauma coming out. The story of Tyler Sash really effected me having watched him play for my team. He was a guy who only played two years in the NFL, yet had the same level of CTE that Junior Seau was discovered to have had. The effects of undocumented sub-concussive impacts on his head throughout school rendered his post-football life unliveable, and he died of a painkiller overdose at just 27. Incredibly sad, and a story that really made me question my position as a fan of the sport.

Comment

I still don't get how the NFL or NCAA hasn't looked into softer helmets, those helmet to helmets just are so scary. I am glad players have wisened up and are learning about the dangers of head injuries.

I don't know hr, wrestling was just as bad. Thankfully the chairshots to the head and headbutts have been limited post Benoit but I do think there needs to be a better supporting team around these players. I just don't know how Sash was able to get to overdose on painkillers. Same with Seau, I just don't know how the people surrounding him could allow him to go and commit suicide. Wrestlers can compile numerous injuries, I can't imagine the toll it takes on one's back to be slammed in the ring for all those years. All the massages and treatments in the world can't help a back getting slammed onto the mat 5x a week.
                        Currently Playing:
                        Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

Comment

I still don't get how the NFL or NCAA hasn't looked into softer helmets, those helmet to helmets just are so scary. I am glad players have wisened up and are learning about the dangers of head injuries.

I don't know hr, wrestling was just as bad. Thankfully the chairshots to the head and headbutts have been limited post Benoit but I do think there needs to be a better supporting team around these players. I just don't know how Sash was able to get to overdose on painkillers. Same with Seau, I just don't know how the people surrounding him could allow him to go and commit suicide. Wrestlers can compile numerous injuries, I can't imagine the toll it takes on one's back to be slammed in the ring for all those years. All the massages and treatments in the world can't help a back getting slammed onto the mat 5x a week.
                          Currently Playing:
                          Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

Comment

I'm surprised more people aren't pointing fingers at the NCAA, given all the risks that people endure, even those at the top college levels get treated like garbage. This video does just talk about basketball but it's still frightening.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Originally posted by The Miz
                            I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
                            Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

Comment

I'm surprised more people aren't pointing fingers at the NCAA, given all the risks that people endure, even those at the top college levels get treated like garbage. This video does just talk about basketball but it's still frightening.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Originally posted by The Miz
                              I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
                              Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

Comment

Working...
                              X