Hellboy Movie Reboot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellboy Movie Reboot

Hellboy creator Mike Mignola has announced plans to reboot the Hellboy movie franchise, this time as an R-rated flick starring Stranger Things' David Harbour. Mignola made the announcement on Facebook this evening, claiming that Neil Marshall (Game of Thrones, The Descent) was attached to direct.

Shortly after Mignola broke the news on Facebook, Hollywood Reporter confirmed that the production company Millenium was in negotiations for the reboot, with a working title of "Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen". Notably, THR reports that neither original movie star Ron Perlman nor original director Guillermo del Toro will be involved in the rebooted series at all. According to THR, producers opted for a reboot after they couldn't reach a compromise with del Toro over the planned movie's budget.

Hellboy was originally created in 1993 by Mignola and has starred in multiple mini-series and comics published by Dark Horse over the years. A demon brought to Earth during an occult Nazi ceremony during World War II, Hellboy became an unlikely defender of Earth, even while resisting his infernal lineage.

The Hellboy franchise uniquely mixes folklore, horror, religious iconography, science fiction, and Lovecraftian horror, along with a ton of good ol' fashioned action. Hellboy's popularity also spawned a spinoff series starring agents of the B.P.R.D., the paranormal agency that Hellboy was associated with for years.

The first Hellboy movie hit theaters in 2004, starring Perlman, Doug Jones, and Selma Blair. Although both Hellboy and its 2008 sequel The Golden Army performed well in the box office, del Toro and Perlman couldn't get a planned third movie off the ground despite years of lobbying and a grass root campaign. Hellboy also starred in two animated movies, although a planned third movie was unexpectedly put on hold.

Mignola recently ended the main Hellboy series in 2016 with the 10 issue series Hellboy in Hell. Although Hellboy's story has officially ended, Dark Horse is still publishing a Hellboy and the BPRD series featuring Hellboy's adventures during the 1950s.
    http://comicbook.com/2017/05/09/hell...david-harbour/

It looks like Hellboy is the latest comic franchise to fall victim to Hollywood’s R-rated romp. In the last year or so, comic book adaptations have opened up to the idea of landing an R-rating. Films like Deadpool and Logan proved grittier storylines can draw in box-office bank, and Hellboy is one of the many comic titles which could benefit from the restricted rating. When news broke that the franchise was getting an R-rated reboot, fans wanted to learn more about what the film would entail. And, now, the writer of the Hellboy reboot is giving fans a clue about what to expect.

In an interview with Silver Screen Beat, Andrew Cosby shared a few details about Hellboy’s tone and direction.

“I can’t really talk about specifics with regard to the story, which they’re keeping a pretty tight lid on at the moment, but I can say that this is a darker, more gruesome version of Hellboy,” Cosby started.

“Neil [Marshall] said from the very beginning that he wanted to walk a razor’s edge between horror and comic book movie, which was music to my ears, because that’s what I was shooting for in the script, and precisely what Mignola does so well with the comics.”

“Honestly, everyone has just been working overtime to bring that Mignola magic to the big screen,” Cosby finished. “The script is done, but work will continue as we move forward, always trying to make it the best it can be.”

For fans, the grittier take on Hellboy might be enough to make them forget about all the waiting they’ve done for the hero. After Ron Perlman’s second go at the hero premiered, fans waited patiently for a third and final film to hit - but it never came. Guillermo del Toro and Perlman gave sporadic updates on the project, but fans felt it was going nowhere. Now, they have a new chance to embrace the hellish character thanks to David Harbour. The Stranger Things star was cast as Hellboy, and if Cosby is being upfront about the film, then Harbour will get to really sick his teeth into the role - literally. Anung un Rama isn’t picky about what he gnaws on for the most part.
    http://comicbook.com/movies/2017/05/...rker-gruesome/

-------

I actually really liked the two previous Hellboy movies, so assuming this actually makes it to the big screen, it'll be interesting to see what they do with an R rating.

Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
    Dragon Ball Super, Pokemon Sun & Moon

Re: Hellboy Movie Reboot

No Perlman...

Comment

No Perlman...

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
        No Perlman...
        Exactly. No Perlman, no sale.

Still My Champ
        Thanks, surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
          No Perlman...
          Exactly. No Perlman, no sale.

Still My Champ
          Thanks, surrender.

Comment

Sucks about not having Pearlman right now but they might still hire him, right? Not 100% guaranteed that they wont ...

I'm torn here, the other ones weren't bad, no reason for a reboot. But I do like the idea of that R Rating.

Comment

Sucks about not having Pearlman right now but they might still hire him, right? Not 100% guaranteed that they wont ...

I'm torn here, the other ones weren't bad, no reason for a reboot. But I do like the idea of that R Rating.

Comment

I'm on the same boat as the others being that Pearlman is Hellboy and that voice is going to be hard to replace. And that's just another thing that Del Toro won't be in that makes me sad (Silent Hills). I'll wait till the trailer to properly judge.

-chaos-
                "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

Comment

I'm on the same boat as the others being that Pearlman is Hellboy and that voice is going to be hard to replace. And that's just another thing that Del Toro won't be in that makes me sad (Silent Hills). I'll wait till the trailer to properly judge.

-chaos-
                  "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

Comment

I love Ron Perlman as Hellboy and it's a shame we didn't get a third movie with him in the role. However having said that, I'm also not gonna rule out seeing the rebooted project, until a trailer at least comes out and we see footage of the new film.

Anime Currently Watching

Comment

I love Ron Perlman as Hellboy and it's a shame we didn't get a third movie with him in the role. However having said that, I'm also not gonna rule out seeing the rebooted project, until a trailer at least comes out and we see footage of the new film.

Anime Currently Watching

Comment

Guess this is why both Del Toro and Perlman said outright Hellboy 3 will never happen.
                        Flowers gathered in the morning,
                        Afternoon they blossom on,
                        Still are withered by the evening:
                        You can be me when I'm gone.

Comment

Guess this is why both Del Toro and Perlman said outright Hellboy 3 will never happen.
                          Flowers gathered in the morning,
                          Afternoon they blossom on,
                          Still are withered by the evening:
                          You can be me when I'm gone.

Comment

Working...
                          X