This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Marvel Movie News Thread 2.0

You're citing a movie franchise that doesn't bring in nearly the revenue of the MCU's films (outside of DOFP) best films, that's run by a different studio. Too apples and oranges.

Disney is basically saying with Downey, Cap 3 will be on-par with Avengers and AOU (re: min $1.4B worldwide gross) rather than Winter Soldier (re: $714B). I think they're right. And if it costs you an extra $50MM to double your revenue (meaning a 15-1 ROI), it's worth it in the business world.

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Comment

You're citing a movie franchise that doesn't bring in nearly the revenue of the MCU's films (outside of DOFP) best films, that's run by a different studio. Too apples and oranges.

Disney is basically saying with Downey, Cap 3 will be on-par with Avengers and AOU (re: min $1.4B worldwide gross) rather than Winter Soldier (re: $714B). I think they're right. And if it costs you an extra $50MM to double your revenue (meaning a 15-1 ROI), it's worth it in the business world.

Comment

If Feige is unproven to you Oraider, then you just aren't paying attention.
        Last edited by the spot; 09-23-2015, 09:15 PM.

Well... don'tcha?

Comment

Well... don'tcha?

Comment

Look at the budgets. He keep the costs lower for his films than most spider-man films. Avengers cost less to make than Spider-Man 3 and the Amazing Spider-Man despite the larger casts. I think the reason Feige is able to do what he does with the freedom he does is he keeps his movies on par with the budget of the older comic films, yet out earns them in the box. Iron Man and Captian America were both made for essentially the same cost as the first spider-man film so it is not like his spending is out of control.

Not sure why Civil War needed to be a cheaper film anyway. It is the introduction point for two seperate film series with Spider-Man and Black Panther debutting. Ike wanted neither of these characters in the film and the cost scaled back to do Civil War with far less actors. Sounds like Feige is makig the smarter move using this film to get people into what the next wave of Marvel will be about.
            Last edited by Engel; 09-23-2015, 09:34 PM.
            Flowers gathered in the morning,
            Afternoon they blossom on,
            Still are withered by the evening:
            You can be me when I'm gone.

Comment

Look at the budgets. He keep the costs lower for his films than most spider-man films. Avengers cost less to make than Spider-Man 3 and the Amazing Spider-Man despite the larger casts. I think the reason Feige is able to do what he does with the freedom he does is he keeps his movies on par with the budget of the older comic films, yet out earns them in the box. Iron Man and Captian America were both made for essentially the same cost as the first spider-man film so it is not like his spending is out of control.

Not sure why Civil War needed to be a cheaper film anyway. It is the introduction point for two seperate film series with Spider-Man and Black Panther debutting. Ike wanted neither of these characters in the film and the cost scaled back to do Civil War with far less actors. Sounds like Feige is makig the smarter move using this film to get people into what the next wave of Marvel will be about.
              Flowers gathered in the morning,
              Afternoon they blossom on,
              Still are withered by the evening:
              You can be me when I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Jericho View Post

A change in studios doesn't change math. It may change the quality but not the math. Also, it fails to factor in one thing: your highest paid employee sets the bar and ceiling for everyone else and everyone else will get paid accordingly or walk to a competitor. Will Marvel keep some due to loyalty? Maybe. Will they all want pay raises on new contracts? Probably. Will they all "deserve" $25 million plus?

Sure, Disney has tons of money. But they may not want to bankroll films with bloated budgets. I still think that $50 million could have been better spent than on just Downey. I don't think Downey's presence assures a $1+ billion box office. If he did, his solo, non marvel movies would have made that much and they didn't come anywhere close that.

Originally posted by the spot View Post
                I've seen what he can do when someone else is handling the money decisions. I haven't seen what he will do "unsupervised" with money. Well, except to give Downey $50 million. And I've been paying close enough attention to business know that $50 million could buy a lot more than one person's involvement.

Again, nothing against Downey personally but i think he had very little to do with the box office success. I know, it is like wrestling and the main eventers get more than everyone else. But, they all get replaced eventually.
                Insei makes the best banners and avs
                "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
                "It is the responsibility of intellectuals to speak the truth and expose lies."
                Both quotes by Noam Chomsky
                "We are all Africans." -- Richard Dawkins
                Sports Empire HOF 2008 PW HOF 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Jericho View Post

A change in studios doesn't change math. It may change the quality but not the math. Also, it fails to factor in one thing: your highest paid employee sets the bar and ceiling for everyone else and everyone else will get paid accordingly or walk to a competitor. Will Marvel keep some due to loyalty? Maybe. Will they all want pay raises on new contracts? Probably. Will they all "deserve" $25 million plus?

Sure, Disney has tons of money. But they may not want to bankroll films with bloated budgets. I still think that $50 million could have been better spent than on just Downey. I don't think Downey's presence assures a $1+ billion box office. If he did, his solo, non marvel movies would have made that much and they didn't come anywhere close that.

Originally posted by the spot View Post
                  I've seen what he can do when someone else is handling the money decisions. I haven't seen what he will do "unsupervised" with money. Well, except to give Downey $50 million. And I've been paying close enough attention to business know that $50 million could buy a lot more than one person's involvement.

Again, nothing against Downey personally but i think he had very little to do with the box office success. I know, it is like wrestling and the main eventers get more than everyone else. But, they all get replaced eventually.
                  "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Engel View Post

For me, it comes down to this: if that $50 million is the difference between keeping Downey or keeping everyone else, then I think Downey should kick rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Engel View Post

For me, it comes down to this: if that $50 million is the difference between keeping Downey or keeping everyone else, then I think Downey should kick rocks.

Comment

So basically, you just want the CEO's to make more money, right?

Comment

So basically, you just want the CEO's to make more money, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ORaider27 View Post

You can't compare one franchise at one studio to another franchise at a different studio and say "see what happened there, that's what's going to here."

Downey as Stark is the draw, not just Downey. It's an iconic character/performance; you can't separate the two as much you desperately want to in order to make your point.

Comment

You can't compare one franchise at one studio to another franchise at a different studio and say "see what happened there, that's what's going to here."

Downey as Stark is the draw, not just Downey. It's an iconic character/performance; you can't separate the two as much you desperately want to in order to make your point.

Comment

The movies are gonna be just fine. The guy who has pretty much been in charge the whole time. Is now just officially in charge. Disney decided Feige is more important to their success than Perlmutter. So at the risk of continuing to repeat myself... I'm gonna go with their assessment over yours. Especially since you didn't really know who either man was before this stupid tangent of this thread.

You're just wrong man. Reframe it over and over in more narrow ways to fit your penny pinching premise. But The wider facts remain the same. Disney thinks Feige is right and Perlmutter is wrong. And the reason for that is the movies we've already seen. The success as they see it is due to Feige not Perlmutter. Who was losing anyway. They just cut out the middleman.

I'm done now. There is no rebuttal to that other than " I think they are wrong". So let's just skip ahead to the part where everyone acknowledges you feel that way. But understands that Disney probably has a better understanding of the whole situation than you do.

Well... don'tcha?

Comment

Working...
                                X