X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DC Movie Plans

Originally posted by Krimzon View Post
    A Black Panther movie is in development, Luke Cage & Jessica Jones are getting their own Netflix shows, and they just gave "Captain America" & "Thor" to a brother & woman respectively. Marvel's doing just fine.
    There's nothing but vague stuff about any Black Panther movie. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones on the Netflix TV shows are awesome, no doubt (and Agents of SHIELD is pretty diverse as well), but I still think it's really important to have some of their blockbuster, tentpole movies headlined by a person of color or a woman. Out of the 13 released or confirmed movies they've done, none of them having a woman or person of color as the lead character is pretty disappointing. They seem to be slowly making progress (Winter Soldier had Nick Fury, Falcon, Black Widow and Maria Hill all in significant roles, and Avengers 2 has Scarlet Witch and some other mystery major female role), but I'd like to see more.

And this isn't even getting into LGBT characters, of which there have been zero in any of the Marvel cinematic universe so far.

And I was specifically talking about the movies. I'm well aware that Marvel's comics branch has been doing very well on diversity in regards to the characters (I think they'll have a total of 16 female-led titles by early 2015), but as much as I kind of wish otherwise, the comics don't have the cultural relevance that these movies do.

Comment

A Black Panther movie is in development, Luke Cage & Jessica Jones are getting their own Netflix shows, and they just gave "Captain America" & "Thor" to a brother & woman respectively. Marvel's doing just fine.
      There's nothing but vague stuff about any Black Panther movie. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones on the Netflix TV shows are awesome, no doubt (and Agents of SHIELD is pretty diverse as well), but I still think it's really important to have some of their blockbuster, tentpole movies headlined by a person of color or a woman. Out of the 13 released or confirmed movies they've done, none of them having a woman or person of color as the lead character is pretty disappointing. They seem to be slowly making progress (Winter Soldier had Nick Fury, Falcon, Black Widow and Maria Hill all in significant roles, and Avengers 2 has Scarlet Witch and some other mystery major female role), but I'd like to see more.

And this isn't even getting into LGBT characters, of which there have been zero in any of the Marvel cinematic universe so far.

And I was specifically talking about the movies. I'm well aware that Marvel's comics branch has been doing very well on diversity in regards to the characters (I think they'll have a total of 16 female-led titles by early 2015), but as much as I kind of wish otherwise, the comics don't have the cultural relevance that these movies do.

Comment

all great but that flash casting is very underwhelming.

well its still a long way out so we will see I guess...
        "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

Comment

all great but that flash casting is very underwhelming.

well its still a long way out so we will see I guess...
          "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

Comment

Originally posted by MSmith127 View Post

There's nothing really vague about the Black Panther movie. It's been confirmed by 2 people from Marvel, with one being Stan Lee himself. Black Widow getting her own movie is pretty much a lock at this point, especially after the inexplicable success of ScarJo's Lucy. She's just as popular as the male leads of the Avengers. It's a no-brainer. Hell, they'll probably have to throw Hawkeye into her movie just out of pity. Also, now that the Kree have been introduced, it's only a matter of time before Ms. Marvel gets her own vehicle as well. Any hangups you have about lead role diversity on Marvel's part will be gone in the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by MSmith127 View Post

There's nothing really vague about the Black Panther movie. It's been confirmed by 2 people from Marvel, with one being Stan Lee himself. Black Widow getting her own movie is pretty much a lock at this point, especially after the inexplicable success of ScarJo's Lucy. She's just as popular as the male leads of the Avengers. It's a no-brainer. Hell, they'll probably have to throw Hawkeye into her movie just out of pity. Also, now that the Kree have been introduced, it's only a matter of time before Ms. Marvel gets her own vehicle as well. Any hangups you have about lead role diversity on Marvel's part will be gone in the next few years.

Comment

I hadn't realized Kevin Feige had confirmed Black Panther was in development, so that's good. Though with their busy schedule, it will probably be a while before it actually gets released. I've though Black Widow getting her own movie would have been a lock for a while now, but they still haven't gotten around to it. And again, agreed that a Captain Marvel movie is most definitely on the horizon. But just like with those other movies, Marvel has so many movies already on the schedule that these won't actually come out for a couple of years, with a bunch more movies with white male leads in between. So while they'll look much better in a few years, they are still going to look behind the curb for a while (even if I have extreme doubts that DC has any hope of sticking to this schedule).

Comment

I hadn't realized Kevin Feige had confirmed Black Panther was in development, so that's good. Though with their busy schedule, it will probably be a while before it actually gets released. I've though Black Widow getting her own movie would have been a lock for a while now, but they still haven't gotten around to it. And again, agreed that a Captain Marvel movie is most definitely on the horizon. But just like with those other movies, Marvel has so many movies already on the schedule that these won't actually come out for a couple of years, with a bunch more movies with white male leads in between. So while they'll look much better in a few years, they are still going to look behind the curb for a while (even if I have extreme doubts that DC has any hope of sticking to this schedule).

Comment

A whole lot of nope regarding The Flash. Nope, nope, nope.

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
                    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
                    Originally posted by Big Pete
                    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
                    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

Comment

A whole lot of nope regarding The Flash. Nope, nope, nope.

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
                      http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
                      Originally posted by Big Pete
                      0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
                      http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Brevoort
                        It takes a special kind of stupid to announce the actor for the film version of a character two weeks after your new TV show has begun.
                        Daaaamn.

Well... don'tcha?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Brevoort
                          It takes a special kind of stupid to announce the actor for the film version of a character two weeks after your new TV show has begun.
                          Daaaamn.

Well... don'tcha?

Comment

I cannot make sense of a Flash movie and TV series running at the same time with different casting.
                            A large part of what makes the Marvel universe great is the continuity.

I also can't believe they would have finalised castings of a 2018 release movie! That's a long time away.

Comment

I cannot make sense of a Flash movie and TV series running at the same time with different casting.
                              A large part of what makes the Marvel universe great is the continuity.

I also can't believe they would have finalised castings of a 2018 release movie! That's a long time away.

Comment

Smallville was still on the air when Superman Returns came out, right?

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Comment

Working...
                                X