How racist are you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How racist are you?

I know I know, it's cool right now to declare nazis as scum to appear virtuous and not racist. on social media. And everyone can claim to be color blind or a minority can claim to not be racist. Some will also claim that everyone is a little bit racist. Just like the song from Avenue Q says. But just how racist are you? It may not be how open minded you are but more that you are a bit of a product of your environment. Kind of like the question of free will, we are in part subject to our past and programming. And for most people who were raised in the west you have been subjected to a life time of racial programming. And your answers to a test are reflective of this programming. So, who wants to take the test and see how racist they are and share the results vs what they thought? Harvard developed the test. It may just warp your perspective. Or else you may just want to admit your racism.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implici...pot/tablet.htm
    I am your God

I believe I am at least partially racist-minded towards some minority groups. Upbringing and life events can condition your mind in ways that can't be undone. That said, your preconditioning doesn't define who you are, it's whether you choose to acknowledge those preconditioned beliefs or not. I'm sure there's a quote with that meaning that's worded much better than I wrote it. Anyway, here's what I got:

"Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for European Americans over African Americans."

I am a little surprised at this. I've encountered very few black people in my life, and the ones I have known more than just in passing have all been genuine, good people. The city I live in has a very high muslim population, and I woud be less surprised if such a test revealed I had a subconscious prejudice against them for various reasons.

Is everyone a little bit racist? Probably. But there's a huge difference between people who unashamedly wave the racist flag, and those who may have some subconscious bias but choose not to act upon them.

Comment

I don't know that I would consider myself racist in the ways that matter, like I wouldn't support discriminatory hiring practices or violent hate speech, but I've caught myself multiple times over the last year making general assumptions about someone based on race. I'm working against it, but yeah I'd guess I have some.

Comment

The IAT is an objectively crappy test. People get different scores if they take it and retake it a week later and the scores on average vary by 50 percent. The test is not reliable, and there are serious questions on exactly what it measures. Recent studies suggest that this implicit racism would only account for at best 5.5 variation in behavior. The consequential validity is questionable as well, as policy based on this results in increases in overt racism.

If anyone does post a score, take the test a day later and repost the score. Curious to see the variation play out.

Edit: Nevermind no raw scores. I like how they group black people and good words for the training, then as you get the pattern of response down they move to their hypothesis. Great way to get the results you want in a reaction time test.
        Last edited by Engel; 1 week ago.
        Flowers gathered in the morning,
        Afternoon they blossom on,
        Still are withered by the evening:
        You can be me when I'm gone.

Comment

Well I can't say about other races. But...I'm black and ashamed to be black. Too many ignorant black people in society and on the news that it makes me shake my head in disgust and really just not want to leave my house.

I mean I just saw a video of like 9 idiot black people looting down in texas...or florida...during the hurricane. Broad daylight, no masks...and it was all caught on camera. As if being criminals isn't bad enough, they are doing this in the most stupidest way I can imagine...and to make it even more ridiculous; they're steal shoes.. mother fucking tennis shoes....

and I've met men online who didn't want to to date me once finding out I was black. Real shot to the ego, there.

And growing up I was bullied for "acting white". I spoke proper english. I liked to read books. I was always thinking about my future and college. I also liked rock music and anime. And this type of harassment still goes on today. I guess being black means I should only speak slang, throw my life away on criminal activity and listen to nothing but ignorant rap music. And recently, I saw a new story about another young lady accused of "acting white" in school. Makes me sad that it still goes on today.

Thank you Surrender!!!
          Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
          If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Engel View Post
            The IAT is an objectively crappy test. People get different scores if they take it and retake it a week later and the scores on average vary by 50 percent. The test is not reliable, and there are serious questions on exactly what it measures. Recent studies suggest that this implicit racism would only account for at best 5.5 variation in behavior. The consequential validity is questionable as well, as policy based on this results in increases in overt racism.

If anyone does post a score, take the test a day later and repost the score. Curious to see the variation play out.
            I'm not at all surprised that this test is unreliable. Even when I was doing the test I was thinking "Come on, you can't draw any concrete conclusions from this".

Comment

The test is too simple to be accurate. Even so...

Comment

The big takeaway should be anytime you see the word implicit with psychology think bullshit. Word completion is where I have my focus in this area. Take these examples:

G-n
                Stri-e
                Explo-e
                Kil-
                Cho-e
                Attac-
                M-ngle
                Kn--e
                S-ab

Fill in any of these with a word denoting violence, and you are considered an implicitly violent person. That includes Saab instead of Stab. Scrabble dictionary be damned.
                Flowers gathered in the morning,
                Afternoon they blossom on,
                Still are withered by the evening:
                You can be me when I'm gone.

Comment

I don't have any hatred or dislike for anybody just based off skin color...but if I see a group of 5 black guys blaring rap music in a car...yeah the thought crosses my mind that I might get capped in a drive by. Just like when I see a group of bald white men, I automatically assume that someone of my skin color might be in some danger so avoiding them like the plague is the smart play. Now in both instances maybe these black guys are just out and about and are going to go watch a film and have nothing but that on their minds or perhaps these bald white guys are simply just bald white guys and are bonding over baldness not against a race of people. It's just thoughts that cross through your mind and I think everybody has that no matter what race they are.

Comment

Working...
                  X