Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

I've never worked for a friend/relative, but generally, I don't tell a company I'm working for that I'm leaving until I know I have another job. After I know though, I'll give a two weeks notice to leave on good terms. But really, it's easier for an employer to find a new worker than it is for you to find a new job.

Comment

I've never worked for a friend/relative, but generally, I don't tell a company I'm working for that I'm leaving until I know I have another job. After I know though, I'll give a two weeks notice to leave on good terms. But really, it's easier for an employer to find a new worker than it is for you to find a new job.

Comment

Originally posted by Leper Messiah View Post
        That depends on where you live. The unemployment rate in Iowa is so low that employers are having a hard time finding good employees. The workforce director here is starting to talk about how it's possible we're nearing full employment, where everyone that wants a job, has a job.

This makes my position as someone that helps find people jobs a little more tenuous.

Comment

Originally posted by Leper Messiah View Post
          That depends on where you live. The unemployment rate in Iowa is so low that employers are having a hard time finding good employees. The workforce director here is starting to talk about how it's possible we're nearing full employment, where everyone that wants a job, has a job.

This makes my position as someone that helps find people jobs a little more tenuous.

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post

I see. If I ever need to find work, good to know it's pretty available in the state next to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post

I see. If I ever need to find work, good to know it's pretty available in the state next to me.

Comment

Other good thing for workers in this situation - next comes employers raise salaries to compete for good employees.

Comment

Other good thing for workers in this situation - next comes employers raise salaries to compete for good employees.

Comment

I went on the interview yesterday and I think it went well. I should be getting an answer in a few weeks. I decided not to tell my friend/boss anything yet. I do hope I get this job though. It's a trainee/entry level position for a big insurance company that starts at $60k with full benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401k, and a pension after 1 year, none of which my current job provides. But like I said, I work for a very small business, so I understand why he can't provide us with those things at this time. Luckily, I qualify for a $50/month medical/dental/vision insurance plan, because they base my income off of my base salary only and not my commission. If it weren't for that, I'd be screwed.

Comment

I went on the interview yesterday and I think it went well. I should be getting an answer in a few weeks. I decided not to tell my friend/boss anything yet. I do hope I get this job though. It's a trainee/entry level position for a big insurance company that starts at $60k with full benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401k, and a pension after 1 year, none of which my current job provides. But like I said, I work for a very small business, so I understand why he can't provide us with those things at this time. Luckily, I qualify for a $50/month medical/dental/vision insurance plan, because they base my income off of my base salary only and not my commission. If it weren't for that, I'd be screwed.

Comment

Working...
                      X