Jury Duty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jury Duty

I've literately been summoned 3 times but never had to go. The first time was a bit worrying though as I didn't even know I had been summoned until a full year after. We had moved out of our old home and the new owners kept some mail for about a year. when I got my mail out of pure coincidence I read them in order. First saying that I had been selected, then the second letter saying I must contact them ASAP as I had been selected and then finally the third saying I wasn't needed. That was a relief to read. Thought I was in some serious shit there for a second

The next 2 times. I got a call right before I was suppose to go that I wasn't needed and the third time it was fairly shortly after I had sent in my info that they said I wasn't needed. Got to say although I have pretty serious social anxiety and it would have been crazy nervous I am a bit disappointed I haven't had to go

Comment

I've literately been summoned 3 times but never had to go. The first time was a bit worrying though as I didn't even know I had been summoned until a full year after. We had moved out of our old home and the new owners kept some mail for about a year. when I got my mail out of pure coincidence I read them in order. First saying that I had been selected, then the second letter saying I must contact them ASAP as I had been selected and then finally the third saying I wasn't needed. That was a relief to read. Thought I was in some serious shit there for a second

The next 2 times. I got a call right before I was suppose to go that I wasn't needed and the third time it was fairly shortly after I had sent in my info that they said I wasn't needed. Got to say although I have pretty serious social anxiety and it would have been crazy nervous I am a bit disappointed I haven't had to go

Comment

Until I moved to NC I had only been called for jury duty once. I've lived here 16 years and been called 3 times. The only time I was chosen to serve on a jury it was a guy that broke into an old lady's house and raped her. He was early 40s she was late 80s. They had DNA evidence, his shoe print at the crime scene and everything....pretty open and shut for me after everything was said and done.

Comment

Until I moved to NC I had only been called for jury duty once. I've lived here 16 years and been called 3 times. The only time I was chosen to serve on a jury it was a guy that broke into an old lady's house and raped her. He was early 40s she was late 80s. They had DNA evidence, his shoe print at the crime scene and everything....pretty open and shut for me after everything was said and done.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrestling MVP View Post
            I'm not sure how if it works the exact same in the US as the UK but I received the letter telling me when I was to attend court. I dreaded it simply because I'm an anxious person so this was way out of my comfort zone. Anyway, I went for the first three days and didn't get called any of those days but had to phone up every night to see if I was still to attend the following day. This was annoying because I would have to travel there every day and then go home again within an hour and also because I'd phone up hoping I'd be done and then be disappointed when told I had to attend.

I eventually got picked on the Thursday. I think they can only keep you a week without actually calling you for a case. The waiting around is boring though, I fell asleep more than once when sitting waiting . The case only lasted the Thursday and the Friday and then that was me done for three years. It was interesting in the end up, I wouldn't say I want to do it again but I don't think I'd dread it so much. I'd see it more as an annoyance now than something I am just anxious about attending.

That said, my case was assault and was at the lesser court so was pretty easy in the end up in terms of experience. I dare say cases of sexual offenders etc would be a lot more harrowing.
            Well, this answered my question of is Jury Duty a thing in the UK (stupid I know)

I wonder if I'll ever get picked to be on the jury, I'd be like Homer I'd imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrestling MVP View Post
              I'm not sure how if it works the exact same in the US as the UK but I received the letter telling me when I was to attend court. I dreaded it simply because I'm an anxious person so this was way out of my comfort zone. Anyway, I went for the first three days and didn't get called any of those days but had to phone up every night to see if I was still to attend the following day. This was annoying because I would have to travel there every day and then go home again within an hour and also because I'd phone up hoping I'd be done and then be disappointed when told I had to attend.

I eventually got picked on the Thursday. I think they can only keep you a week without actually calling you for a case. The waiting around is boring though, I fell asleep more than once when sitting waiting . The case only lasted the Thursday and the Friday and then that was me done for three years. It was interesting in the end up, I wouldn't say I want to do it again but I don't think I'd dread it so much. I'd see it more as an annoyance now than something I am just anxious about attending.

That said, my case was assault and was at the lesser court so was pretty easy in the end up in terms of experience. I dare say cases of sexual offenders etc would be a lot more harrowing.
              Well, this answered my question of is Jury Duty a thing in the UK (stupid I know)

I wonder if I'll ever get picked to be on the jury, I'd be like Homer I'd imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post

Not really - I think those in Sunderland are exempt from jury duty. The people already have enough problems with the football team.

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
                CELTIC (SPFL CHAMPIONS 2013/14)
                FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2013/2014; SWISS CUP FINALISTS)

Comment

Not really - I think those in Sunderland are exempt from jury duty. The people already have enough problems with the football team.

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
                  CELTIC (SPFL CHAMPIONS 2013/14)
                  FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2013/2014; SWISS CUP FINALISTS)

Comment

Just to clarify: you do mean this, right?

My brother was married by a judge and I still says he should've asked for a jury.

I really don't have anything of substance to contribute; I just feel good and hope somebody laughs.
                    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
                    -John Stuart Mill

Comment

Just to clarify: you do mean this, right?

My brother was married by a judge and I still says he should've asked for a jury.

I really don't have anything of substance to contribute; I just feel good and hope somebody laughs.
                      If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
                      -John Stuart Mill

Comment

I have not been called to jury yet, but my father and brother have in recent years. I don't remember what my dad's case was about. I think it was something pretty innocuous. He wasn't even there a whole week. My brother's case was a lot more interesting and lasted at least two weeks. A blind man was on trial for heading a drugs dealing operation that spanned a very large area. He denied all claims, using his blindness as an excuse, but some of his senior colleagues testified against him so that was the end of that. He got a pretty hefty sentence.

Comment

I have not been called to jury yet, but my father and brother have in recent years. I don't remember what my dad's case was about. I think it was something pretty innocuous. He wasn't even there a whole week. My brother's case was a lot more interesting and lasted at least two weeks. A blind man was on trial for heading a drugs dealing operation that spanned a very large area. He denied all claims, using his blindness as an excuse, but some of his senior colleagues testified against him so that was the end of that. He got a pretty hefty sentence.

Comment

I spent a week in jury duty selection before the judge told us all to go home.
                            (It was a criminal case, so I assume the dude tried to stall the process as long as he could get away with before pleading guilty.)

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
                            Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Comment

I spent a week in jury duty selection before the judge told us all to go home.
                              (It was a criminal case, so I assume the dude tried to stall the process as long as he could get away with before pleading guilty.)

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
                              Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Comment

Working...
                              X