Colonization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonization

So, with the news that there is 7 earth like planets that have just been discovered

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...rappist-1-star

Assuming that Earth doesn't die in the next 200 years and can still sustain life comfortably, would you be willing to leave Earth and attempt to colonize another planet?

Re: Colonization

Of course I'd be willing. But I'm feeling the first wave of colonists would be all sorts of experts and people with Phd's and what not. But if they need someone to work in a mineralogy lab oh boy I'd be useful for the new colony.

Comment

Of course I'd be willing. But I'm feeling the first wave of colonists would be all sorts of experts and people with Phd's and what not. But if they need someone to work in a mineralogy lab oh boy I'd be useful for the new colony.

Comment

I'm not an early adapter for anything and that includes hypothetical colonization. Need some time to work out the bugs regarding the travel and things of that nature.

I'd be all in going as one of the people in the 3rd or 4th group.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Originally posted by The Miz
        I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
        Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

Comment

I'm not an early adapter for anything and that includes hypothetical colonization. Need some time to work out the bugs regarding the travel and things of that nature.

I'd be all in going as one of the people in the 3rd or 4th group.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Originally posted by The Miz
          I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
          Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

Comment

Much like Oncall, I don't think I have the early adapter gene. I think I could handle the actual travel, since I work a lot of overnights so lack of sunlight wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, although confined spaces might finally get to me after a year or so, but if they do that deep sleep angle I could easily sleep for a year.

Nazzer don't sell yourself short, we will need to refine minerals once we get there, so you should get your bags packed. Kepler-186f awaits your arrival.

Comment

Much like Oncall, I don't think I have the early adapter gene. I think I could handle the actual travel, since I work a lot of overnights so lack of sunlight wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, although confined spaces might finally get to me after a year or so, but if they do that deep sleep angle I could easily sleep for a year.

Nazzer don't sell yourself short, we will need to refine minerals once we get there, so you should get your bags packed. Kepler-186f awaits your arrival.

Comment

The biggest problem we face is that these planets are close, but still 30-something light years away.

Even if we had the technology to travel at or near light speed, it would still take 30 years to get there.

I think we need to start with Mars and see what happens. These planets are a nice learning tool from a distance but traveling there just isn't worth thinking about at this point in time.

Comment

The biggest problem we face is that these planets are close, but still 30-something light years away.

Even if we had the technology to travel at or near light speed, it would still take 30 years to get there.

I think we need to start with Mars and see what happens. These planets are a nice learning tool from a distance but traveling there just isn't worth thinking about at this point in time.

Comment

Forget Mars, we should try to at least land on the moon again. There is no guarantee we can even land and relaunch on the moon, let alone Mars. Hell not every rocket that goes to ISS even makes it now.

Plans for Mars are fucking crazy as it is. The plan now is a one way trip. They have no plans to get anyone or anything off Mars and back to Earth...
                    Flowers gathered in the morning,
                    Afternoon they blossom on,
                    Still are withered by the evening:
                    You can be me when I'm gone.

Comment

Forget Mars, we should try to at least land on the moon again. There is no guarantee we can even land and relaunch on the moon, let alone Mars. Hell not every rocket that goes to ISS even makes it now.

Plans for Mars are fucking crazy as it is. The plan now is a one way trip. They have no plans to get anyone or anything off Mars and back to Earth...
                      Flowers gathered in the morning,
                      Afternoon they blossom on,
                      Still are withered by the evening:
                      You can be me when I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Engel View Post

If we were going to go to one of these other 7 planets it would be a one way trip. It would take 30 years to get there. So it doesn't matter that we aren't practised at coming back. One way drop of people and supplies on the new planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Engel View Post

If we were going to go to one of these other 7 planets it would be a one way trip. It would take 30 years to get there. So it doesn't matter that we aren't practised at coming back. One way drop of people and supplies on the new planet.

Comment

The issue is definitely complicated.

On one hand, you could start somewhere new, find success and opportunities that you might not find on Earth. Not to mention a new world that could satisfy explorers and offer a much healthier world than the polluted one we live in.

But the risk is very high as well. Death, disease, natural disasters, and a host of other factors could kill you and other colonists. Everyday conveniences would be gone as well.

Want to see an Atheist-centric YouTube show? Subscribe to Atheist News!

My latest video- Reject Religion- music video set to "Pork and Beans" by Weezer.

Comment

The issue is definitely complicated.

On one hand, you could start somewhere new, find success and opportunities that you might not find on Earth. Not to mention a new world that could satisfy explorers and offer a much healthier world than the polluted one we live in.

But the risk is very high as well. Death, disease, natural disasters, and a host of other factors could kill you and other colonists. Everyday conveniences would be gone as well.

Want to see an Atheist-centric YouTube show? Subscribe to Atheist News!

My latest video- Reject Religion- music video set to "Pork and Beans" by Weezer.

Comment

Working...
                              X