Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cannabis History Thread.Have You Tried It? Do You Hate It? Post Here Irregardless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Cannabis History Thread.Have You Tried It? Do You Hate It? Post Here Irregard

1930s - we're in the middle of a huge industrial boom. Hemp is outlawed. Why? Because companies can make more cutting down trees and selling paper. Companies can make more using cotton for clothing. If hemp is outlawed, then marijuana must be. We'll get rid of it all together and just say it's "bad". I think it's fair to say the United States was not the only country to realize this.

Comment

• Re: The Cannabis History Thread.Have You Tried It? Do You Hate It? Post Here Irregard

1930s - we're in the middle of a huge industrial boom. Hemp is outlawed. Why? Because companies can make more cutting down trees and selling paper. Companies can make more using cotton for clothing. If hemp is outlawed, then marijuana must be. We'll get rid of it all together and just say it's "bad". I think it's fair to say the United States was not the only country to realize this.

Comment

Originally posted by RatedRKO16 View Post
        You got a good point there, RKO..Now, let's bring to light Harry Anslinger(affiliated with the Federal Bureau of Narcotics..A grade A+++++++Putz who worked during the Great Depression/Reefer Madness era with Dupont, William Randolph Hearst, the good ol Rockefeller family, among many others. He helped spread the bullshit about weed being "horrible", that it "must be outlawed", etc . This page below will shed plenty of light on this asshole.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_J._Anslinger

Let's also remember that from the 1800s til the early 20th century you could buy cannabis elixirs in pretty much any drugstore in the US. That should also be brought to light. Doctors would freely prescribe it as well.

Comment

You got a good point there, RKO..Now, let's bring to light Harry Anslinger(affiliated with the Federal Bureau of Narcotics..A grade A+++++++Putz who worked during the Great Depression/Reefer Madness era with Dupont, William Randolph Hearst, the good ol Rockefeller family, among many others. He helped spread the bullshit about weed being "horrible", that it "must be outlawed", etc . This page below will shed plenty of light on this asshole.

Let's also remember that from the 1800s til the early 20th century you could buy cannabis elixirs in pretty much any drugstore in the US. That should also be brought to light. Doctors would freely prescribe it as well.

Comment

Soulblazed- Any info on a pivot point from Russian hemp manufacturing to not having it? Like when in time this happened?
            RatedRKO16- I hear what you are saying but pro hemp people are usually telling me that hemp is better. I am not seeing the correlation to hemp not being as profitable as cotton or wood pulp for paper? It's a big jump you presented there.

Every pro hemp person will tell you it grows lighter, faster, stronger, cheaper than any material on the planet. No one, in any one country in the world has continued to dominate the textile, oil or paper market enough to still be massively producing today because a few american barons shut it down for everyone. despite it being a superior product no one could make more money on it because of few robber barons of the 1900s.

I do not see any connection to the US barons and the totality of the world.
            Last edited by Theend; 09-25-2015, 06:46 PM.
            I am your God

Comment

Soulblazed- Any info on a pivot point from Russian hemp manufacturing to not having it? Like when in time this happened?
              RatedRKO16- I hear what you are saying but pro hemp people are usually telling me that hemp is better. I am not seeing the correlation to hemp not being as profitable as cotton or wood pulp for paper? It's a big jump you presented there.

Every pro hemp person will tell you it grows lighter, faster, stronger, cheaper than any material on the planet. No one, in any one country in the world has continued to dominate the textile, oil or paper market enough to still be massively producing today because a few american barons shut it down for everyone. despite it being a superior product no one could make more money on it because of few robber barons of the 1900s.

I am your God

Comment

Originally posted by Soulblazed View Post

It's funny how a few "bad apples" seemed to ruin it for everyone else. I'm sure those people were mentally ill (talking about the two black men who took the 14 year old girl, the family killed by the addict, etc.) and were used as a reasoning that marijuana was bad. And we still haven't learned. The "bad apples" continue to ruin things for the +90% law abiding citizens with things like gun rights, for example. All the police hate because there are a few policemen that have made bad judgments. We Americans tend to love concentrating on the negative, but I suppose that's a completely different topic.

Anyways, I think it's safe to say those people had some other mental issues going on. It says the young kid was an addict, yeah that isn't good either. I just don't think since some people can't control it, that it should ruin it for others who can. Alcoholics haven't ruined it for drinkers. It's just strange. We touched on it in my sociology class and talked about how alcohol consumption was done mostly by the middle class Caucasian and marijuana smoking was more likely to be done in the poor black communities, which I'm sure is a large reason it was outlawed as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulblazed View Post

It's funny how a few "bad apples" seemed to ruin it for everyone else. I'm sure those people were mentally ill (talking about the two black men who took the 14 year old girl, the family killed by the addict, etc.) and were used as a reasoning that marijuana was bad. And we still haven't learned. The "bad apples" continue to ruin things for the +90% law abiding citizens with things like gun rights, for example. All the police hate because there are a few policemen that have made bad judgments. We Americans tend to love concentrating on the negative, but I suppose that's a completely different topic.

Anyways, I think it's safe to say those people had some other mental issues going on. It says the young kid was an addict, yeah that isn't good either. I just don't think since some people can't control it, that it should ruin it for others who can. Alcoholics haven't ruined it for drinkers. It's just strange. We touched on it in my sociology class and talked about how alcohol consumption was done mostly by the middle class Caucasian and marijuana smoking was more likely to be done in the poor black communities, which I'm sure is a large reason it was outlawed as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Theend View Post

Hemp is better. I can't remember the specifics, but it seems like the cotton industry for clothing and trees for paper, etc. were already in place, then hemp kind of came along and started taking over. It seemed to be more of a precautionary measure to save the industries that were already going. Hemp would have came in and cotton farmers would struggle. At least that's what history class taught me... who knows how correct it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Theend View Post

Hemp is better. I can't remember the specifics, but it seems like the cotton industry for clothing and trees for paper, etc. were already in place, then hemp kind of came along and started taking over. It seemed to be more of a precautionary measure to save the industries that were already going. Hemp would have came in and cotton farmers would struggle. At least that's what history class taught me... who knows how correct it is.

Comment

Theend, the medieval Russian info is getting more and more difficult to find, though at the bottom of my post, you'll find a link which gets into Russia's hemp manufacturing before and during Napoleon's rise to power and how Napoleon fought Russia over it. I also found some info concerning Russian hemp manufacturing in the 20th century from wiki which I'll copy/paste below.

From the 1950s to the 1980s, the Soviet Union was the world's largest producer of hemp (3,000 kmē in 1970). The main production areas were in Ukraine,[82] the Kursk and Orel regions of Russia, and near the Polish border. Since its inception in 1931, the Hemp Breeding Department at the Institute of Bast Crops in Hlukhiv (Glukhov), Ukraine, has been one of the world's largest centers for developing new hemp varieties, focusing on improving fiber quality, per-hectare yields, and low THC content.[83][84]

After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the commercial cultivation of hemp declined sharply. However, it is estimated that at least 2.5 million acres of hemp grows wild in the Russian Far East and Black Sea regions

Very interesting link where I copy/pasted the above info..
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp#Russia_and_Ukraine

This brief one talks about Russian hemp during the 1800s
                        http://hempology.org/ALL%20HISTORY%2...%20RUSSIA.html

Now here's the Napoleon/Russian hemp stuff-
                        http://www.kindgreenbuds.com/the-emp...poleon-russia/

Comment

Theend, the medieval Russian info is getting more and more difficult to find, though at the bottom of my post, you'll find a link which gets into Russia's hemp manufacturing before and during Napoleon's rise to power and how Napoleon fought Russia over it. I also found some info concerning Russian hemp manufacturing in the 20th century from wiki which I'll copy/paste below.

From the 1950s to the 1980s, the Soviet Union was the world's largest producer of hemp (3,000 kmē in 1970). The main production areas were in Ukraine,[82] the Kursk and Orel regions of Russia, and near the Polish border. Since its inception in 1931, the Hemp Breeding Department at the Institute of Bast Crops in Hlukhiv (Glukhov), Ukraine, has been one of the world's largest centers for developing new hemp varieties, focusing on improving fiber quality, per-hectare yields, and low THC content.[83][84]

After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the commercial cultivation of hemp declined sharply. However, it is estimated that at least 2.5 million acres of hemp grows wild in the Russian Far East and Black Sea regions

Very interesting link where I copy/pasted the above info..
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp#Russia_and_Ukraine

This brief one talks about Russian hemp during the 1800s
                          http://hempology.org/ALL%20HISTORY%2...%20RUSSIA.html

Now here's the Napoleon/Russian hemp stuff-
                          http://www.kindgreenbuds.com/the-emp...poleon-russia/

Comment

It seems like the history of hemp / pot legislation is lost outside of the US history. Still would be pumped to hear what the Brit thinks about the history of why pot and hemp is oppressed there.

My bet is it's just not as cheap. No conspiracy, no protecting Hearst, Dow or anyone else just not as cheap to produce. But that explains why hemp was crushed by cotton, oil and wood pulp but not why legislation would follow around the world.
                            I am your God

Comment

It seems like the history of hemp / pot legislation is lost outside of the US history. Still would be pumped to hear what the Brit thinks about the history of why pot and hemp is oppressed there.

My bet is it's just not as cheap. No conspiracy, no protecting Hearst, Dow or anyone else just not as cheap to produce. But that explains why hemp was crushed by cotton, oil and wood pulp but not why legislation would follow around the world.
                              I am your God

Comment

Put it like this-If hemp were grown in place of cotton during the slavery in the Deep South from the get-go, the clothing/paper, etc would've been much more durable, the fuel for lamps would've been better than the whale oil and kerosene that was used at the time, not to mention it has more uses than cotton(hemp as a fuel for cars/trucks operates better in cold weather than petroleum, which Rudolf Diesel, inventor of the diesel engine would've had a major monopoly on for the cars/trucks he was making starting in the late 1800s)..Also, since cotton couldn't be used for food, while hemp could, that's another strike against cotton and for hemp. History class was right for once. Hell, Rudolf could've invented a train engine powered off hemp oil instead of steam, for instance..That would've been something unto itself.

Very good link on Diesel
                                http://www.hempcar.org/diesel.shtml

Comment

Working...
                                X