Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shows you like despite disliking the main character(s)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shows you like despite disliking the main character(s)

For me there's Fresh off the Boat. Funny show but the mom, Jessica, is nuts.

I see this often in anime too. I didn't like Ichigo in Bleach nor did I like Miaka in Fushigi Yuugi

So, any shows you liked or loved but couldn't stand the main star of the show?

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

Re: Shows you like despite disliking the main character(s)

Off the top of my head I've only got David Brent from The Office, but that was kind of the point.

Comment

Off the top of my head I've only got David Brent from The Office, but that was kind of the point.

Comment

Orange is the New Black.

I don't think I've ever hated a main character as much as I do Piper while still liking the show itself. I've disliked main characters before but she's the first I've hated. Closest are Nancy from Weeds (same creator so I don't think it's a coincidence) and Sookie from True Blood.

Comment

Orange is the New Black.

I don't think I've ever hated a main character as much as I do Piper while still liking the show itself. I've disliked main characters before but she's the first I've hated. Closest are Nancy from Weeds (same creator so I don't think it's a coincidence) and Sookie from True Blood.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Bone View Post
            Orange is the New Black.

Agreed. Every time something bad happens to Piper I smile. She fucking sucks.

First one that pops into my mind is House of Cards. I love the show but hate the Underwoods. Fucking elitist sociopaths. And they have zero redeeming qualities. Oh, I'm supposed to like Frank because he says cool shit to the camera? No.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Bone View Post
              Orange is the New Black.

First one that pops into my mind is House of Cards. I love the show but hate the Underwoods. Fucking elitist sociopaths. And they have zero redeeming qualities. Oh, I'm supposed to like Frank because he says cool shit to the camera? No.

Comment

Originally posted by RT View Post

I smile as well. Hell, I cheered when she was branded in the last season.

I'm not sure House of Cards would count in this case; you're not supposed to like them. In the case of Piper; you're absolutely supposed to like and feel for her.

Comment

Originally posted by RT View Post

I smile as well. Hell, I cheered when she was branded in the last season.

I'm not sure House of Cards would count in this case; you're not supposed to like them. In the case of Piper; you're absolutely supposed to like and feel for her.

Comment

Eh I think they figured out Piper pretty early as unsympathetic and made her worse for the subsequent seasons. I can't say I dislike Piper, because I legitimately don't care about her one way or the other.

Comment

Eh I think they figured out Piper pretty early as unsympathetic and made her worse for the subsequent seasons. I can't say I dislike Piper, because I legitimately don't care about her one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                        They didn't really figure it out until season 4. They tried to make her a more interesting but still sympathetic character in season 3. They kind of stopped trying to do that in season 4 while still trying to make her sympathetic.

What the writers were aware of early on was that she wasn't a very interesting character but was what was needed to sell the show to begin with. They're pretty open about that.

I went from indifference to outright hate real quick with her.

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                          They didn't really figure it out until season 4. They tried to make her a more interesting but still sympathetic character in season 3. They kind of stopped trying to do that in season 4 while still trying to make her sympathetic.

What the writers were aware of early on was that she wasn't a very interesting character but was what was needed to sell the show to begin with. They're pretty open about that.

I went from indifference to outright hate real quick with her.

Comment

I've never really found the hate for Piper like others have. Is she the most interesting character on the show? Nope, not at all. She probably isn't even in my top five characters at this point. For me at this point, she is just kinda there.

The one that comes to mind instantly for me is the original lead for Scream Queens season 1, Grace. I think her name was Grace at least. She was the most basic of basic white girls. Her story was by far the least interesting of the highly talented cast. Maybe that was her downfall. The cast was so good while she was just there. Sort of like OITNB.

Comment

I've never really found the hate for Piper like others have. Is she the most interesting character on the show? Nope, not at all. She probably isn't even in my top five characters at this point. For me at this point, she is just kinda there.

The one that comes to mind instantly for me is the original lead for Scream Queens season 1, Grace. I think her name was Grace at least. She was the most basic of basic white girls. Her story was by far the least interesting of the highly talented cast. Maybe that was her downfall. The cast was so good while she was just there. Sort of like OITNB.

Comment

Working...
                              X