2017 Hip-Hop Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Hip-Hop Thread

Last year, the the hip-hop thread was brought back after a few year break. Thankfully the year was one of the best of the decade for the genre. I spent most of January going back to listen to releases I loved. Most of the major hip-hop artists put out releases, but I'm sure the plethora of new artists can make up for that. You never know there may be some surprises too. Here's a link to the 2016 thread too.

Here's some of my favorite of the year two months in:

Sampha - Process (Known for his features with Kanye, Drake, Chance, and others. I have feeling this will be on most AOTY lists)
    Migos - Culture (They've always been a lot of fun, Culture has become so much more. Nonstop bangers on this.)
    Kelhani - SWEETSEXYSAVAGE (She's going to be the queen of R&B)
    Syd - Fin (Half of the Internet and former Odd Future member. It's a great debut for her.)
    Chief Keef - Two Zero One Seven (THE KING IS BACK)

Re: 2017 Hip-Hop Thread

[MENTION=5693]Razor_Blade[/MENTION] I got some good news...The new JMT album's comin out in November...It's called The Bridge and the Abyss..

This link should goto Vinnie's Twitter feed where it has the update-
    https://twitter.com/vinnie_paz/statu...12232160444417

Comment

[MENTION=5693]Razor_Blade[/MENTION] I got some good news...The new JMT album's comin out in November...It's called The Bridge and the Abyss..

This link should goto Vinnie's Twitter feed where it has the update-
      https://twitter.com/vinnie_paz/statu...12232160444417

Comment

Originally posted by Raven* View Post
        Sampha - Process (Known for his features with Kanye, Drake, Chance, and others. I have feeling this will be on most AOTY lists)
        Absolutely love this album.

South London has been kicking ass early this year with confessional and vulnerable hip hop. I strongly recommend Loyle Carner's record Yesterday's Gone which has some similar themes to Process (relationships with parents, love, loss) - he's the grime version of King Krule in the way Sampha is the soul version of James Blake.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven* View Post
          Absolutely love this album.

South London has been kicking ass early this year with confessional and vulnerable hip hop. I strongly recommend Loyle Carner's record Yesterday's Gone which has some similar themes to Process (relationships with parents, love, loss) - he's the grime version of King Krule in the way Sampha is the soul version of James Blake.

Comment

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on this thread, as I get into more modern hip hop.

Banner Credit: Surrender
            Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
            Dragon Ball Super, Pokemon Sun & Moon

Comment

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on this thread, as I get into more modern hip hop.

Banner Credit: Surrender
              Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
              Dragon Ball Super, Pokemon Sun & Moon

Comment

February 2017 might be the best month for Hip Hop this year, in my opinion. One album just dropped that I was massively looking forward to (DROGAS Light by Lupe Fiasco) and it definitely delivered. I wouldn't say it was my favourite Lupe album yet and I do need a few more listens before I can rank it but I've got to say that I really love the thing. "Jump" might be the most fun he's had on a track in a LONG time and it kind of screams for a video.

The other album I didn't know was coming out until the artist announced himself last week was Jidenna's debut album "The Chief." I wasn't aware of this guy until I heard him on an episode of Luke Cage (performing "Long Live The Chief") but I'm fairly certain that his debut should be good as well.

Comment

February 2017 might be the best month for Hip Hop this year, in my opinion. One album just dropped that I was massively looking forward to (DROGAS Light by Lupe Fiasco) and it definitely delivered. I wouldn't say it was my favourite Lupe album yet and I do need a few more listens before I can rank it but I've got to say that I really love the thing. "Jump" might be the most fun he's had on a track in a LONG time and it kind of screams for a video.

The other album I didn't know was coming out until the artist announced himself last week was Jidenna's debut album "The Chief." I wasn't aware of this guy until I heard him on an episode of Luke Cage (performing "Long Live The Chief") but I'm fairly certain that his debut should be good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Bone View Post
                    I wasn't excited for this at all given the rhetoric around the release, and yet now having listened to it still found myself disappointed. I'll always consider myself a Lupe fan for his early output which (along with Kanye) got me into hip hop, but he doesn't half make that difficult. Label influence was always used as an excuse for some of the crap in his discography, so the fact that more of these pop-rap ballads have been released post-Atlantic is very disappointing. There's a few decent-ish tracks at the start, Dopamine Lit, Promise (even if it's a blatant Drake rip) and the two with Ty Dolla $ign are alright - but there is a lot of crap, like the majority of the tracks with no-name guests which really just shouldn't have heard the light of day.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Bone View Post
                      I wasn't excited for this at all given the rhetoric around the release, and yet now having listened to it still found myself disappointed. I'll always consider myself a Lupe fan for his early output which (along with Kanye) got me into hip hop, but he doesn't half make that difficult. Label influence was always used as an excuse for some of the crap in his discography, so the fact that more of these pop-rap ballads have been released post-Atlantic is very disappointing. There's a few decent-ish tracks at the start, Dopamine Lit, Promise (even if it's a blatant Drake rip) and the two with Ty Dolla $ign are alright - but there is a lot of crap, like the majority of the tracks with no-name guests which really just shouldn't have heard the light of day.

Comment

Lupe is an artist that I've never fully been into. So with him releasing an album of B-sides, I see no reason to listen to this particular album. His online persona has been grating for a while as well. The whole denying of the Anti-Semitic line along with the many retirement attempts is just off putting. I will definitely listen to the Jidenna album. He has Janelle Monae's blessing, and that's more than enough for me.

New Future album this Friday. Sensational.

Comment

Lupe is an artist that I've never fully been into. So with him releasing an album of B-sides, I see no reason to listen to this particular album. His online persona has been grating for a while as well. The whole denying of the Anti-Semitic line along with the many retirement attempts is just off putting. I will definitely listen to the Jidenna album. He has Janelle Monae's blessing, and that's more than enough for me.

New Future album this Friday. Sensational.

Comment

As PW's number one Future stan, his self titled has been on non-stop since it leaked. The album is more of the same from him like his last cycle. There's plenty of bangers on this like Draco, POA, I'm So Groovy, and Feds Did A Sweep. I was hoping for more work with Southside, and most of the album has him for the production credits. Future is expected to be his fourth number one album in a row. That's not all, though. He's dropping another new album this Friday.

Roc Marciano's Rosebudd's Revenge is worth checking out too.

Comment

As PW's number one Future stan, his self titled has been on non-stop since it leaked. The album is more of the same from him like his last cycle. There's plenty of bangers on this like Draco, POA, I'm So Groovy, and Feds Did A Sweep. I was hoping for more work with Southside, and most of the album has him for the production credits. Future is expected to be his fourth number one album in a row. That's not all, though. He's dropping another new album this Friday.

Roc Marciano's Rosebudd's Revenge is worth checking out too.

Comment

Working...
                              X