2017 Hip-Hop Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 Hip-Hop Thread

This beat is bonkers. Current thinking is the album will be out next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven*

Didn't know it would be that soon but yeah, the beat is ace.
      First set of inductees for Titans: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Undertaker

Comment

Originally posted by Raven*

Didn't know it would be that soon but yeah, the beat is ace.
        First set of inductees for Titans: Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Undertaker

Comment

The releases to Kendrick Lamar and Joey Badass' albums have lit a fire in the hip hop world for sure. On top of that Ghostface and Raekwon just dropped their respective albums(so did Puffy.)

Styles P and Talib Kweli dropped the same day as DAMN. I like both artists and they seem like their styles wouldn't mesh but from what Ive heard so far its pretty dope.

Tech9 just dropped his billionth album.

Rap game is doing pretty good right now.

Banner Credit: Spike

Comment

The releases to Kendrick Lamar and Joey Badass' albums have lit a fire in the hip hop world for sure. On top of that Ghostface and Raekwon just dropped their respective albums(so did Puffy.)

Styles P and Talib Kweli dropped the same day as DAMN. I like both artists and they seem like their styles wouldn't mesh but from what Ive heard so far its pretty dope.

Tech9 just dropped his billionth album.

Rap game is doing pretty good right now.

Banner Credit: Spike

Comment

Hey [MENTION=13403]Raven*[/MENTION] anything good out lately? I can't listen to music at work anymore so I'm not staying as up to date as I used to. I liked Big Fish Theory quite a lot, especially that insanely catchy title track.

Have any of you guys heard about the Dissect podcast? I just finished listening to the first season on TPAB - found out so much about the narrative and that I would have never known otherwise. It can get a little bit repetitive but some of the references and metaphors are pretty mindblowing. I always loved the sound and general message, but now have a much greater appreciation for exactly what that album is all about. The second season has just started and it's all about Kanye's MBDTF.

Comment

Hey [MENTION=13403]Raven*[/MENTION] anything good out lately? I can't listen to music at work anymore so I'm not staying as up to date as I used to. I liked Big Fish Theory quite a lot, especially that insanely catchy title track.

Have any of you guys heard about the Dissect podcast? I just finished listening to the first season on TPAB - found out so much about the narrative and that I would have never known otherwise. It can get a little bit repetitive but some of the references and metaphors are pretty mindblowing. I always loved the sound and general message, but now have a much greater appreciation for exactly what that album is all about. The second season has just started and it's all about Kanye's MBDTF.

Comment

Originally posted by HR View Post

Looking over the last few months of my Apple Music library, there doesn't seem to be too many albums that I've kept in it. The three that I cannot get enough of are Tyler the Creator's Scum Fuck Flower Boy, MIKE's May God Bless Your Hustle, and Brock Hampton's Saturation. MIKE is an up and coming rapper coming out of NY. His level of storytelling is beyond his years. Brockhampton is Kevin Abstract's rap collective. They all met on a Kanye West fan forum years ago, and they've turn it into something special. A lot of the mare still young, so it's pretty raw. They even have a show on Vice that you can check out called American Boyband. Their second album is coming out later this month. Hell, even check out the Vic Mensa album if you want a weird rock inspired album.

As a huge Tyler fan, this was the album he was born to make. The lyrics on here made me uncomfortable and emotional in a way that I didn't expect. It's a beautiful record that really contextualizes Tyler's entire career in a way I'm not sure anyone was expecting. "Important" gets thrown around a lot these days in ways I'm not always down with but this album is so critically important to the conversation and Tyler is unbelievably brave for bearing it all like this.

It's been months since I've properly listened to a podcast. I'll have to check out the Dissect in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by HR View Post

Looking over the last few months of my Apple Music library, there doesn't seem to be too many albums that I've kept in it. The three that I cannot get enough of are Tyler the Creator's Scum Fuck Flower Boy, MIKE's May God Bless Your Hustle, and Brock Hampton's Saturation. MIKE is an up and coming rapper coming out of NY. His level of storytelling is beyond his years. Brockhampton is Kevin Abstract's rap collective. They all met on a Kanye West fan forum years ago, and they've turn it into something special. A lot of the mare still young, so it's pretty raw. They even have a show on Vice that you can check out called American Boyband. Their second album is coming out later this month. Hell, even check out the Vic Mensa album if you want a weird rock inspired album.

As a huge Tyler fan, this was the album he was born to make. The lyrics on here made me uncomfortable and emotional in a way that I didn't expect. It's a beautiful record that really contextualizes Tyler's entire career in a way I'm not sure anyone was expecting. "Important" gets thrown around a lot these days in ways I'm not always down with but this album is so critically important to the conversation and Tyler is unbelievably brave for bearing it all like this.

It's been months since I've properly listened to a podcast. I'll have to check out the Dissect in the morning.

Comment

Everytime they release a new song, I feel like I have to listen to saturation again.

Comment

Everytime they release a new song, I feel like I have to listen to saturation again.

Comment

4:44 is probably my favourite hip-hop album this year, followed by DAMN.
                          Have given Flower Boy a listen or two, but not too many to have a definite opinion on it.

Comment

4:44 is probably my favourite hip-hop album this year, followed by DAMN.
                            Have given Flower Boy a listen or two, but not too many to have a definite opinion on it.

Comment

Listened to Saturation II last night - crazy that they've been able to put out two quality albums so quickly and apparently there's going to be a third to follow before the end of the year. I absolutely love the vibe of Jello in particular.

Action Bronson's new album is fun too, a return to form after the slightly disappointing Mr Wonderful. His tracks with Big Body Bes are always hilarious.

Comment

Listened to Saturation II last night - crazy that they've been able to put out two quality albums so quickly and apparently there's going to be a third to follow before the end of the year. I absolutely love the vibe of Jello in particular.

Action Bronson's new album is fun too, a return to form after the slightly disappointing Mr Wonderful. His tracks with Big Body Bes are always hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                                X