Modern Day Rap, Where to Start?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Day Rap, Where to Start?

When it comes to the rap/hip-hop scene, I'm old school (old skool?), listening to artists like Eminem (my personal favorite, rap or otherwise), N.W.A., Gang Starr, Tupac, Wu-Tang Clan, Notorious B.I.G., and other shit like that. Heck, as I'm typing this post up, I have the Low-End Theory album from A Tribe Called Quest, playing in the background, which again fits into that whole old school thing.

I probably should mention that when it comes to newer stuff, I don't mind Kanye West as he has some good songs, and I find Lil Wayne to be pretty abysmal for the most part. Anyway's, when it comes to modern day rap, let's say within the last five - ten years, who would you recommend checking out? Any specific songs, or albums, from said person?

Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
    Dragon Ball Super, Pokemon Sun & Moon

Re: Modern Day Rap, Where to Start?

Well if you like Tribe and haven't listened to their new album Thank You For Your Service, that would be a good place to start.

Here's my top three albums from the past five years - should keep you busy!

Isaiah Rashad - The Sun's Tirade
    Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
    Kanye West - The Life of Pablo

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
    Vince Staples - Summertime '06
    Pusha T - Darkest Before Dawn

Run The Jewels - RTJ2
    Big KRIT - Cadillactica
    Freddie Gibbs - Pinata

Run The Jewels - RTJ
    Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap
    Earl Sweatshirt - Doris

2012 (not a great year tbh)
    Kendrick Lamar - good kid, maad city
    Action Bronson - Blue Chips
    Brother Ali - Mourning in America and Dreaming in Colour

Comment

Well if you like Tribe and haven't listened to their new album Thank You For Your Service, that would be a good place to start.

Here's my top three albums from the past five years - should keep you busy!

Isaiah Rashad - The Sun's Tirade
      Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
      Kanye West - The Life of Pablo

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
      Vince Staples - Summertime '06
      Pusha T - Darkest Before Dawn

Run The Jewels - RTJ2
      Big KRIT - Cadillactica
      Freddie Gibbs - Pinata

Run The Jewels - RTJ
      Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap
      Earl Sweatshirt - Doris

2012 (not a great year tbh)
      Kendrick Lamar - good kid, maad city
      Action Bronson - Blue Chips
      Brother Ali - Mourning in America and Dreaming in Colour

Comment

[MENTION=53]Lony[/MENTION] I grew up on cats like EPMD, Too $hort, 2pac, Eric B & Rakim, E-40 and Biggie Smalls...I can't stand most of today's hiphop "artists" that use autotunes and sing-songy voices, plus they sound the same, to be honest...That being stated, I dunno if you've heard of Vinnie Paz...He's affiliated with cats like Jedi Mind Tricks, Army Of The Pharaohs, etc They're from the Philly/East Coast area in general and actually talk about pertinent subjects instead of bullshit..

Vinnie's latest album Cornerstone Of The Corner Store is damn worth listening to...A couple songs from it are below

Also, check out Ana Tijoux..She was born in Chile but her parents fled from the Pinochet dictatorship and ended up in France. She raps in English, Spanish and French..Real worth checking her out too..

The title of this song is "We are the south"

Comment

[MENTION=53]Lony[/MENTION] I grew up on cats like EPMD, Too $hort, 2pac, Eric B & Rakim, E-40 and Biggie Smalls...I can't stand most of today's hiphop "artists" that use autotunes and sing-songy voices, plus they sound the same, to be honest...That being stated, I dunno if you've heard of Vinnie Paz...He's affiliated with cats like Jedi Mind Tricks, Army Of The Pharaohs, etc They're from the Philly/East Coast area in general and actually talk about pertinent subjects instead of bullshit..

Vinnie's latest album Cornerstone Of The Corner Store is damn worth listening to...A couple songs from it are below

Also, check out Ana Tijoux..She was born in Chile but her parents fled from the Pinochet dictatorship and ended up in France. She raps in English, Spanish and French..Real worth checking her out too..

The title of this song is "We are the south"

Comment

Here's another Paz song worth checking out..This song was a prequel to the song Writings on Disobedience and Democracy. By the way in both songs Howard Zinn's voice is used.

This is from 2007 but real nice

This is from San Quinn, a San Francisco legend who's been rapping since the early 90s..This is one of his newer songs that got released in late 2015. This video shows snippets of some areas I grew up in

Comment

Here's another Paz song worth checking out..This song was a prequel to the song Writings on Disobedience and Democracy. By the way in both songs Howard Zinn's voice is used.

This is from 2007 but real nice

This is from San Quinn, a San Francisco legend who's been rapping since the early 90s..This is one of his newer songs that got released in late 2015. This video shows snippets of some areas I grew up in

Comment

Sigh, the whole use of autotune and vocal manipulations is such a tired and boring discussion at this point. It's a clear evolution of hip-hop that can be seen from the movements from the early 2000s to the end of 2000s with Kanye changing the game with 808s & Heartbreaks. Just like any other genres, hip-hop has some many different styles that you can always find something out there. In the year 2017, most artists do not sound a like. There's some many things going on especially with last year being a phenomenal year in the genre. It's a disservice to say otherwise. Thankfully most of the elitists stay in their own bubbles these days.

I'll try to do recommendations that are different than HR's. His are all great too, though. In the future, I can give you more from the other years but I don't want to overwhelm you anymore. 2016 was a great year for rap, and there's plenty more albums in the old thread.

1. A Tribe Called Quest - Thank You 4 Your Service
                2. Chance the Rapper - Colouring Book
                3. YG - Still Brazy (Since you like gangsta rap, he's a good modern take on it. He has a few classics already)

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
                2. Future - DS2
                3. ASAP Rocky - At. Long. Last. ASAP

1. Vince Staples - Hell Can Wait
                2. Isiah Rashad – Cilvia Demo
                3. YG - My Krazy Life

1. ASAP Ferg- Trap Lord
                2. Danny Brown - Old
                3. J.Cole - Born Sinner (I personally don't like him, but I think you might)

1. Killer Mike - RAP Music (If you're unaware, he's in Run the Jewels which HR mentioned)
                2. Big Boi - Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors
                3. Schoolboy Q – Habits & Contradictions

Comment

Sigh, the whole use of autotune and vocal manipulations is such a tired and boring discussion at this point. It's a clear evolution of hip-hop that can be seen from the movements from the early 2000s to the end of 2000s with Kanye changing the game with 808s & Heartbreaks. Just like any other genres, hip-hop has some many different styles that you can always find something out there. In the year 2017, most artists do not sound a like. There's some many things going on especially with last year being a phenomenal year in the genre. It's a disservice to say otherwise. Thankfully most of the elitists stay in their own bubbles these days.

I'll try to do recommendations that are different than HR's. His are all great too, though. In the future, I can give you more from the other years but I don't want to overwhelm you anymore. 2016 was a great year for rap, and there's plenty more albums in the old thread.

1. A Tribe Called Quest - Thank You 4 Your Service
                  2. Chance the Rapper - Colouring Book
                  3. YG - Still Brazy (Since you like gangsta rap, he's a good modern take on it. He has a few classics already)

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
                  2. Future - DS2
                  3. ASAP Rocky - At. Long. Last. ASAP

1. Vince Staples - Hell Can Wait
                  2. Isiah Rashad – Cilvia Demo
                  3. YG - My Krazy Life

1. ASAP Ferg- Trap Lord
                  2. Danny Brown - Old
                  3. J.Cole - Born Sinner (I personally don't like him, but I think you might)

1. Killer Mike - RAP Music (If you're unaware, he's in Run the Jewels which HR mentioned)
                  2. Big Boi - Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors
                  3. Schoolboy Q – Habits & Contradictions

Comment

[MENTION=13403]Raven*[/MENTION] when so many artists overuse autotunes to the point where it's on countless songs, to me, there's no meaning behind it. The ones that use autotunes for damn near every song they do simply all sound the same. You're right in that there's plenty of different artists with different styles and a lot of them don't use autotunes. Hence why I listed a few people that don't use autotunes yet are making music today. That's what I'm getting at.

Speaking of rappers who don't use autotunes....Joey Bada$$ is pretty good..

Almost forgot Dizzee Rascal..This cat from South London's damn talented...If you've never heard him before you'll have to listen to his songs a few times over..Unless you're used to it, his South London accent's a bitch to understand at first but it's worth it..Bun B and Dizzee really should do more songs together. This is from 2007

Comment

[MENTION=13403]Raven*[/MENTION] when so many artists overuse autotunes to the point where it's on countless songs, to me, there's no meaning behind it. The ones that use autotunes for damn near every song they do simply all sound the same. You're right in that there's plenty of different artists with different styles and a lot of them don't use autotunes. Hence why I listed a few people that don't use autotunes yet are making music today. That's what I'm getting at.

Speaking of rappers who don't use autotunes....Joey Bada$$ is pretty good..

Almost forgot Dizzee Rascal..This cat from South London's damn talented...If you've never heard him before you'll have to listen to his songs a few times over..Unless you're used to it, his South London accent's a bitch to understand at first but it's worth it..Bun B and Dizzee really should do more songs together. This is from 2007

Comment

I've heard good things about Kendrick Lamar, so I'll definitely have to check out To Pimp A Butterfly, as both [MENTION=13403]Raven*[/MENTION], and [MENTION=147]HR[/MENTION] mentioned it, if I dig it, I'll end up giving Good Kid, Maad City a listen to as well. I'll have to look up some of these other cats on YT (outside of the vids [MENTION=1977]Soulblazed[/MENTION] posted), see if I like their stuff, and take it from there.

I'll also take a look for that other thread you were talking about Raven*

Anime Currently Watching

Comment

I've heard good things about Kendrick Lamar, so I'll definitely have to check out To Pimp A Butterfly, as both [MENTION=13403]Raven*[/MENTION], and [MENTION=147]HR[/MENTION] mentioned it, if I dig it, I'll end up giving Good Kid, Maad City a listen to as well. I'll have to look up some of these other cats on YT (outside of the vids [MENTION=1977]Soulblazed[/MENTION] posted), see if I like their stuff, and take it from there.

I'll also take a look for that other thread you were talking about Raven*

Anime Currently Watching

Comment

While not exactly modern in the sence that hes been active since '94 (Been in jail most of that time however.), I really like BG Knocc Outs albums, nice mix of old school and new. but the two first albums after he got out, are head and shoulder above Blocc boyz and ST. L.A.

Eazy-Es Protoge (2011)
                            tracks from the album

Nutty by Nature (2015)
                            A track from the album
                            [/URL]

Comment

While not exactly modern in the sence that hes been active since '94 (Been in jail most of that time however.), I really like BG Knocc Outs albums, nice mix of old school and new. but the two first albums after he got out, are head and shoulder above Blocc boyz and ST. L.A.

Eazy-Es Protoge (2011)
                              tracks from the album

Nutty by Nature (2015)
                              A track from the album
                              [/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X