Favorite TV Shows of 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite TV Shows of 2016

Once upon a time I posted this thread at the end of a calendar year and people commented that the end of a TV year is May. How untrue that is now. Starting with cable shows, then half-season reality shows like Survivor, American Idol and now the Voice, and now even network series like Pitch and The Good Place have aired completely in one calendar year so tv is now constantly churning out shows and frequently ignoring the old tv calendar.

So here are my 10 favorite shows this year with a bit of commentary -

1 - Stranger Things - This is the best thing Netflix has done for me. I waited quite a while to start on it and it was made to binge.

2 - Westworld - Another show made better for me with binging. From some reviews that I've read it seems the mysteries were solved by the interests on a week by week basis.

3 - Triumph's Election Special 2016 - I haven't seen the summer one so I'm just basing it off of the Primary episode, which was hilarious.

4 - People vs. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story - It had everything you could ask for, some terrible impersonations and some brilliant acting. Great writing, well-researched, and shockingly well-directed from Ryan Murphy. Way better than it had any right to be.

5 - The Night Of - I liked the court stuff more than the critics and the prison stuff less, but I liked it. Turturro is great.

6 - Veep - Consistently funny with so many lines you wish you could say in real life.

7 - Silicon Valley - Inconsistent for me but it had my biggest laugh of the year with the visit to the stables (if you've seen it, you know)

8 - Better Call Saul - Not the level of excitement I expected from the show, and with Mike and Saul so split it's really two shows with Mike's more interesting, but very solid and interesting.

9 - Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - I think he takes a hit from me for the number of younger people who try to use his comedy show as all the evidence they need to support a point. I mean it's a well-researched comedy show. But I enjoy the jokes and don't watch a ton of TV.

10 - Brooklyn Nine Nine - Hit and miss for me, probably not on my list if I'd watched more than 15 shows this year.

Re: Favorite TV Shows of 2016

I would have your exact list, except I would swap #1 and #2 around, and replace #3 with The Americans. I don't know how it doesn't get the ratings that it should have.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Comment

I would have your exact list, except I would swap #1 and #2 around, and replace #3 with The Americans. I don't know how it doesn't get the ratings that it should have.

Still My Champ
      Thanks, surrender.

Comment

I was mostly bored by Americans season one so I didn't get very far into season two and never picked it back up. Read great things though.

Comment

I was mostly bored by Americans season one so I didn't get very far into season two and never picked it back up. Read great things though.

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
            The Americans was a chore to get through the first couple of seasons but now I think it's one of the most underrated shows on TV. I compare its writing to that of Mad Men. They almost painstakingly try to keep it period correct and incorporate real life stuff into its mythos and story.

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
              The Americans was a chore to get through the first couple of seasons but now I think it's one of the most underrated shows on TV. I compare its writing to that of Mad Men. They almost painstakingly try to keep it period correct and incorporate real life stuff into its mythos and story.

Comment

This is my top five new shows of the year.

- Lady Dynamite: This is a show that I knew nothing about before it was dropped. I didn't hear anything about Maria Bamford having a new show, so it caught me buy surprise. Easily the best take I've seen on bi-polar representation. I'ts nice to see him portrayed as a hero, and not a victim.

- Insecure: Everyone else has been watching Westworld yet Insecure has been my go to HBO show. The reason I was interested from the start was Larry Wilmore's name attached to it The buildup of season makes the final two episodes so heartbreaking. Now I'll check out whatever Issa Rae does.

- Atlanta: See I knew I was going to like this because of Donald Glover, but I didn't know I was going to love it. The cast is great, and Glover may not be my favorite person on the show. I still crack up when I think about the BAN episode. He's able to mix the perfect amount of humor and serious enough to tackle police shootings.

- The Good Place: Maybe because it's who is working on the show, but this is the first show to make me feel the same feeling as Parks and Rec. The story is there along with a diverse cast that leaves laughing for hours. There are so many quotable lines from each episode. NBC better not let me down with this show.

- This Is Us: The first episode features Sufjan Stevens, so obviously the show was going to make me cry.

Comment

This is my top five new shows of the year.

- Lady Dynamite: This is a show that I knew nothing about before it was dropped. I didn't hear anything about Maria Bamford having a new show, so it caught me buy surprise. Easily the best take I've seen on bi-polar representation. I'ts nice to see him portrayed as a hero, and not a victim.

- Insecure: Everyone else has been watching Westworld yet Insecure has been my go to HBO show. The reason I was interested from the start was Larry Wilmore's name attached to it The buildup of season makes the final two episodes so heartbreaking. Now I'll check out whatever Issa Rae does.

- Atlanta: See I knew I was going to like this because of Donald Glover, but I didn't know I was going to love it. The cast is great, and Glover may not be my favorite person on the show. I still crack up when I think about the BAN episode. He's able to mix the perfect amount of humor and serious enough to tackle police shootings.

- The Good Place: Maybe because it's who is working on the show, but this is the first show to make me feel the same feeling as Parks and Rec. The story is there along with a diverse cast that leaves laughing for hours. There are so many quotable lines from each episode. NBC better not let me down with this show.

- This Is Us: The first episode features Sufjan Stevens, so obviously the show was going to make me cry.

Comment

My favorite shows this year were American Crime Story: People vs OJ Simpson and Stranger Things, nothing else came close for me. Those two shows will go down as two of my favorite ever.

Comment

My favorite shows this year were American Crime Story: People vs OJ Simpson and Stranger Things, nothing else came close for me. Those two shows will go down as two of my favorite ever.

Comment

Raven* I've only seen The Good Place on your list and it just missed my top 10. I liked it, but until the last few episodes I didn't love it.

Comment

Raven* I've only seen The Good Place on your list and it just missed my top 10. I liked it, but until the last few episodes I didn't love it.

Comment

Honestly, I stopped watching all the new shows I checked out this season, due to being busy with work, and even then barely had time to watch all the superhero shows weekly (Agents of Shield, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, and The Flash), as well as binge-watching the second season of Daredevil and Luke Cage on Netflix.

With that said, I would probably say my top ten (if I can even list ten) would probably be in this order...

10. Grimm (I guess the second half of last season, so I have a top ten )
                            9. Arrow
                            8. Supergirl
                            7. The Flash
                            6. Agents of Shield
                            5. Legends of Tomorrow
                            4. Ajin (Japanese anime)
                            3. Daredevil
                            2. Luke Cage
                            1. Erased (Japanese anime)

I've heard good things about Stranger Things, and need to start binge-watching it on Netflix

Banner Credit: Surrender
                            Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
                            Dragon Ball Super, Pokemon Sun & Moon

Comment

Honestly, I stopped watching all the new shows I checked out this season, due to being busy with work, and even then barely had time to watch all the superhero shows weekly (Agents of Shield, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, and The Flash), as well as binge-watching the second season of Daredevil and Luke Cage on Netflix.

With that said, I would probably say my top ten (if I can even list ten) would probably be in this order...

10. Grimm (I guess the second half of last season, so I have a top ten )
                              9. Arrow
                              8. Supergirl
                              7. The Flash
                              6. Agents of Shield
                              5. Legends of Tomorrow
                              4. Ajin (Japanese anime)
                              3. Daredevil
                              2. Luke Cage
                              1. Erased (Japanese anime)

I've heard good things about Stranger Things, and need to start binge-watching it on Netflix

Banner Credit: Surrender
                              Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
                              Dragon Ball Super, Pokemon Sun & Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X