Thread: Sleeper Hold

Default Sleeper Hold

Here's an interesting question posed to me the other day. The sleeper hold, we all know it doesn't really work unless you choke the person, which is not legal, so the sleeper hold as we know must have been invented in the post1950 era of wrestling after matches became scripted. So my question is, who invented the sleeper hold and/or who made it popular?

Go Appalachian State!

Default Re: Sleeper Hold

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Perfect
    Here's an interesting question posed to me the other day. The sleeper hold, we all know it doesn't really work unless you choke the person, which is not legal, so the sleeper hold as we know must have been invented in the post1950 era of wrestling after matches became scripted. So my question is, who invented the sleeper hold and/or who made it popular?
    I don't know the answer to the question, but a sleeper can be applied so that it cuts off the blood supply to the brain, and not choke the opponent.
    Skratch Punk
    Spoiler

The Wrestle-O-Pedia TheMaskedOtter's Avatar

I seem to remember hearing one time that former Houston wrestling promoter Paul Boesch started using it after World War II.

The move really can work without choking out your opponent by cutting off the flow of blood to the brain by blocking the caroited arteries in your neck.

I guess maybe I should be more specific. I know what the sleeper can do, but as far as I know, the sleeper was banned as a move in the early 1940's when there was still "real" wrestling because of the danger it posed to the wrestler. Making someone pass out by cutting off their blood supply to the brain could cause permanent damage and/or death.

Anyway, I know Piper used the sleeper for a while, and Brutus Beefcake used it as part of his barber gimmick, but I really can't remember anyone before that using it as a finisher.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

I would imagine that it's a holdout from the catch wrestling days, and not 'invented' for pro wrestling the way a fisherman's swinging neckbreaker or a 450 splash would be.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

MulkeyMania06

Former NWA Light Heavyweight Champion Johnny Weaver used the Sleeper as his finisher quite often and "taught" Dusty Rhodes how to properly execute the move in the mid 80s during Rhodes' fued with the Horsemen.

FoleyFan

Quote Originally Posted by Da Outlaw
    I don't know the answer to the question, but a sleeper can be applied so that it cuts off the blood supply to the brain, and not choke the opponent.
    Which is really the proper use of the hold.

The original sleeper hold was perfected by Ed "Strangler" Lewis back in the 1930s. Lewis was a great shooter and a legit asskicker, as well as a member of the Gold Dust Trio that invented modern pro wrestling. It was a simple variation of the side headlock where the wrist was dug into the caratoid artery, thereby cutting off the flow of blood to the brain. It works as I have learned from way too many years of bouncing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Perfect
    I guess maybe I should be more specific. I know what the sleeper can do, but as far as I know, the sleeper was banned as a move in the early 1940's when there was still "real" wrestling because of the danger it posed to the wrestler. Making someone pass out by cutting off their blood supply to the brain could cause permanent damage and/or death.

Anyway, I know Piper used the sleeper for a while, and Brutus Beefcake used it as part of his barber gimmick, but I really can't remember anyone before that using it as a finisher.
    And who can forget the million dollar dream.

"When we retire we're going to write a book and we don't care if half the wrestling world hates us for it because we already hate them" Road Warrior Hawk

Verne Gagne & Strangler Lewis both used it before Piper or Beefcake. Danny Spivey used it during his short run as Waylon Mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill125
    And who can forget the million dollar dream.
    That's a cobra clutch sleeper.

Thread Information