Thread: What does "competitive salary"mean?

Default What does "competitive salary"mean?

I just got hired and the guy told me I would be starting with a competitive salary. What does that mean? Is that good or bad. The ad on the internet said $30,000 to $60,000 a year. I didn't want to bring it up because I know we ain't suppose to. Atleast thats what I was told. Should I be excited about the $60,000.

Default Re: What does "competitive salary"mean?

Competitive salary typically means just above the average salary for the field. If you find the average salary for your field in your area, and tact on a few thousand, you should get a rough idea of what the HR guy meant.

Commitment to Excellence ORaider27's Avatar

Usually, "competitive salary" means it's average or a bit above average for the job in the area.
    Insei makes the best banners and avs

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    "It is the responsibility of intellectuals to speak the truth and expose lies."
    Both quotes by Noam Chomsky

"We are all Africans." -- Richard Dawkins

Banned

Actually it doesn't mean 'just over average'

Companies (mostly those who are actually making revenue) try to benchmark their policies with those who are leading the industry, or if they are leading the industry, they want to benchmark themselves as the top choice.

I recently accepted a job with a competitive salary, and found out that my company benchmarked themselves with other pharmaceutical firms so they can say they have the best wages, benefits, and bonuses.

Competitive just isn't above average, it's nearing as high as you can make in that respected field.

They could have possibly said 30-60 thousand as away to get people interested in the job, and offer 40 something. If 40 something is the benchmark, don't expect to make 60 grand, firms will do that just to get people excited about applying.

In simpler terms, yes competitive wages are a very good thing. You can't really lie about it because either they give you something good or not, and you should be able to tell by research if they are giving you something competitive.

What job is it, and what area do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by America's Fan
    I just got hired and the guy told me I would be starting with a competitive salary. What does that mean? Is that good or bad. The ad on the internet said $30,000 to $60,000 a year. I didn't want to bring it up because I know we ain't suppose to. Atleast thats what I was told. Should I be excited about the $60,000.
    I don't know who told you otherwise.. But a job interview IS the perfect time to bring up pay

Commitment to Excellence ORaider27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwiggy v7
    Actually it doesn't mean 'just over average'

Companies (mostly those who are actually making revenue) try to benchmark their policies with those who are leading the industry, or if they are leading the industry, they want to benchmark themselves as the top choice.

I recently accepted a job with a competitive salary, and found out that my company benchmarked themselves with other pharmaceutical firms so they can say they have the best wages, benefits, and bonuses.

Competitive just isn't above average, it's nearing as high as you can make in that respected field.

They could have possibly said 30-60 thousand as away to get people interested in the job, and offer 40 something. If 40 something is the benchmark, don't expect to make 60 grand, firms will do that just to get people excited about applying.

In simpler terms, yes competitive wages are a very good thing. You can't really lie about it because either they give you something good or not, and you should be able to tell by research if they are giving you something competitive.

What job is it, and what area do you live in?
    Maybe your company does it different then. Everytime I've interviewed for a job that stated it had "competitive wages", the offer was right at or just over the area average.
    Insei makes the best banners and avs

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    "It is the responsibility of intellectuals to speak the truth and expose lies."
    Both quotes by Noam Chomsky

"We are all Africans." -- Richard Dawkins

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ORaider27
    Maybe your company does it different then. Everytime I've interviewed for a job that stated it had "competitive wages", the offer was right at or just over the area average.
    Then they are throwing the term around loosely to try to get people to apply then.

And someone above is right, the job interview is a great time to talk about wages and benefits. If you don't let it be known what your intentions are, or what you're expecting, then you won't get it.

Who the hell accepts a job without knowing what they are going to be paid? "Competitive Salary" can mean just about anything. The fact that you didn't discuss salary most likely means that they are going to give you the bottom end of that salary range because you didn't discuss what you're pay would be. When he mentioned a competitive salary, that was your invitation to start negotiating a salary. Instead, you basically said the you'd take whatever they were willing to offer.

Thread Information