Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Kevin Durant discussion~!

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Kevin Durant discussion~!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulblazed View Post
    Damn....Helluva thread.....Ironically, after all these years, it took Durant going to Golden State to really get people's attention defensively..He showed bits and pieces throughout his OKC tenure but damn.....During the Pelicans vs Warriors game, his emphatic clutch block on Davis shortly before Draymond's clutch defensive steal effectively ends this argument...
    @Damon what're your thoughts on Durant in terms of how he's contributed to Golden State's success so far-not just on defense but other facets he's improving as well since Kerr's wanting him to be more of a power forward at times?
    I think it's opened up a whole new dimension to his game, allowing him to truly maximise his potential, in terms of making full use of his length and athleticism. He's basically become the perfect all-round player for this era, and helped the Warriors change things up and evolve and dare I say improve on the fly.

Seems a bit silly and childish of me to bump this thread again after all this time, but I've always remembered Tommy (who was considered a bit of a basketball guru around these parts once upon a time - what happened to him?) and his insistence that a 19/20-year-old Durant would never and could never become a great defender or great all-round player, and in fact that he would remain a defensive "liability", and it would be pointless for him to even try to improve on the defensive end. Just incredibly short-sighted and downright strange position to take from a fairly knowledgeable viewer of the sport. I felt then and I feel now that Durant's potential was/is as limitless as anyone in the history of the game, and the only thing that would stop him from becoming great in any area would be himself. It's not quite happened as people might have initially expected, but as I thought he might, he's evolved into a supercharged hybrid of what he was during his lone year in college.
    Last edited by Damon; 12-14-2016 at 09:02 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Damon I agree with ya on a lot of those points! About Tommy, I haven't thought about that cat in years since I started scrolling through the argument both ya'll had...Hopefully he's doing well somewhere....Pretty ironic how he declared Durant was unable to improve defensively and yet here we are.

Far as Durant's improvements go, yea Durant is really getting comfortable defending, as well as assisting more...In OKC Durant would barely give out assists just because of how their club plays basketball..With the 2 man hero ball unit of Durant and Westbrook, assists were scarce. Though he's gotten extremely comfortable assisting and simply being on point in defense, including grabbing more steals....You're right in that Durant being with Golden State helps the Warriors evolve.

Their shot distribution's better, Thompson had a record 60 points not too long ago because KD, Steph, Dray, etc were all looking for him...Plus, KD's chemistry with the vets Zaza, West, Iggy, McGee and Livingston speaks volumes...Not to mention that these cats are genuinely friends with each other which helps their selfless basketball play twenty-fold. Lastly, with Durant bringing his penchant for scoring from anywhere at will to the table, especially with his nifty fadeaway jump shot in the paint or driving to the rim for a dunk and wanting to get to the free throw line consistently are all fantastic signs of things to come for the Warriors.

In the October game and last night, Durant has shown he's got a knack for shutting Davis down..

Then there's this

Durant brings up a point which was admitted and is great in hindsight..Kerr really wants Durant to become more well rounded in his blocking, stealing, rebounding, assisting, etc just moving without the ball in general yet still making good things happen..It's also a damn good sign that Durant loves becoming better at each facet of his game by doing everything Kerr asks as best he can..

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I saw this thread popped up, I was intrigued. Not only because it seemed a bit random, but because its been years since I've noticed or seen anyone start a thread with "~!" in its title in quite a while. That type of format used to be quite common around here.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing to consider for Tommys claims about KD's defense is that 2008 was a different time for a 7 foot tall toothpick than it is now. He couldnt shift down to the four because they were big bangers, not small ball three point shooters.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    One thing to consider for Tommys claims about KD's defense is that 2008 was a different time for a 7 foot tall toothpick than it is now. He couldnt shift down to the four because they were big bangers, not small ball three point shooters.
    Even still, to totally dismiss Durant's potential to improve at age 19, and claim that he shouldn't even try, because he'll always be a defensive liability, was quite bizarre.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well anyone saying anything definitively about a players skillset and ability to improve has some bizarre qualities, but it happens all the time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good video showing Durant's positive impact on Golden State so far...Basically talks about him being a better defender, which shows quite often, specially in the blowout earlier tonight vs Portland.

Thread Information