vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WI General Discussion

Edit: Wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming
    Maybe so, but at least I'm not a fucking loser. You and your country is our bitch! Been that way for a couple of centuries. And Canada (technically part of your "empire") is our bitch which makes Owens our bitch. Deal with it.
    Don't worry, he's only making PW great again

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, Brits.

Ummm...anything on this thing with the Daily Mail and David Cameron?
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would we want to discuss something fun here, like David Cameron fucking pigs?

Come back when there was a gun involved.

Maybe so, but at least I'm not a fucking loser. You and your country is our bitch! Been that way for a couple of centuries. And Canada (technically part of your "empire") is our bitch which makes Owens our bitch. Deal with it.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Hey, Brits.

Ummm...anything on this thing with the Daily Mail and David Cameron?
    I'll respond to this with a couple of quotes from a friend on Facebook whose opinions I share.

It's absurd. Who cares what he did in school. It's a ridiculously unwarranted ad hominem/personal attack during politically vital times and it's being eaten up by the media and dumb Internet memesters. On top of it all it's incredibly disrespectful to the head of state, whoever he is and whatever we think he has done. A ridiculous low blow.
    I don't care if he DID do that to a pig (however gross it is). For all I know he likes BDSM or is into furries or whatever. None of that is something that should be publicized like this or made into a sensationalist news story. No one's private life or uni debauchery should be used for political means. I don't care for David Cameron as much as the next person, but honestly if THIS is what takes his career down then I think it's a huge disgrace for British media or for whoever eats this up whether true or not. That's just my opinion I guess. It just shows that we'd rather have political change through sensationalist Daily Mail articles rather than any sort of serious debate.
    Basically, it's blown out of proportion, which isn't at all surprising given the whole internet meme culture.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold the phone. You're saying we shouldn't be dragging his personal life into public for use as political means

Since the day he was elected, Cameron, his party and the tory run media circus have been using everything they can from Jeremy Corbyns life, personal and otherwise, to discredit him as a political candidate, dragging up ancestors from the 1800's, his ex wife to spill the beans, and scrutinise his former girlfriend, and most recently, had a general threaten a military coup.

But something about Cameron comes out and he should be exempt from it? After the unbelievably biased media circus during the last election and this past week aimed at Corbyn, Cameron deserves every bit of public humiliation he gets from here on out.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I dislike Cameron and the Torys as much as the next young working class Brit, but personal attacks have no business in politics, whether it be attacks against Cameron or attacks against Corbyn. I suppose I should check in with reality, this kind of nonsense has dominated British politics for decades, but it has reached ridiculous heights in recent weeks. The fact that this stuff has happened for a long time doesn't justify it happening now, just as the Torys attacking Corbyn doesn't make the whole Cameron pig stuff right (which is not a Labour/Corbyn sourced attack anyway). I have the same opinion on a lot of the Corbyn attacks, such as the ridiculous blowup over him not singing the National Anthem. It's nonsensical no matter who is giving it and who is receiving it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conveniently after the "Pig Scandal", Lord Ashcroft came down with multiple Organ Failure and Septic Shock.

The poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko comes to mind.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More global warming doom!

BBC | There are diseases hidden in ice, and they are waking up

Throughout history, humans have existed side-by-side with bacteria and viruses. From the bubonic plague to smallpox, we have evolved to resist them, and in response they have developed new ways of infecting us.

We have had antibiotics for almost a century, ever since Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin. In response, bacteria have responded by evolving antibiotic resistance. The battle is endless: because we spend so much time with pathogens, we sometimes develop a kind of natural stalemate.

However, what would happen if we were suddenly exposed to deadly bacteria and viruses that have been absent for thousands of years, or that we have never met before?

We may be about to find out. Climate change is melting permafrost soils that have been frozen for thousands of years, and as the soils melt they are releasing ancient viruses and bacteria that, having lain dormant, are springing back to life.

In August 2016, in a remote corner of Siberian tundra called the Yamal Peninsula in the Arctic Circle, a 12-year-old boy died and at least twenty people were hospitalised after being infected by anthrax.

The theory is that, over 75 years ago, a reindeer infected with anthrax died and its frozen carcass became trapped under a layer of frozen soil, known as permafrost. There it stayed until a heatwave in the summer of 2016, when the permafrost thawed.

This exposed the reindeer corpse and released infectious anthrax into nearby water and soil, and then into the food supply. More than 2,000 reindeer grazing nearby became infected, which then led to the small number of human cases.

The fear is that this will not be an isolated case.

-----✂-----

Even older bacteria have been found in the Lechuguilla Cave in New Mexico, 1,000ft underground. These microbes have not seen the surface for over 4 million years.

The cave never sees sunlight, and it is so isolated that it takes about 10,000 years for water from the surface to get into the cave.

Despite this, the bacteria have somehow become resistant to 18 types of antibiotics, including drugs considered to be a "last resort" for fighting infections. In a study published in December 2016, researchers found that the bacteria, known as Paenibacillus sp. LC231, was resistant to 70% of antibiotics and was able to totally inactivate many of them.

As the bacteria have remained completely isolated in the cave for four million years, they have not come into contact with people or the antibiotic drugs used to treat human infections. That means its antibiotic resistance must have arisen in some other way.

The scientists involved believe that the bacteria, which does not harm humans, is one of many that have naturally evolved resistance to antibiotics. This suggests that antibiotic resistance has been around for millions or even billions of years.

Obviously, such ancient antibiotic resistance cannot have evolved in the clinic as a result of antibiotic use.
    The reason for this is that many types of fungi, and even other bacteria, naturally produce antibiotics to gain a competitive advantage over other microbes. That is how Fleming first discovered penicillin: bacteria in a petri dish died after one became contaminated with an antibiotic-excreting mould.

In caves, where there is little food, organisms must be ruthless if they are to survive. Bacteria like Paenibacillus may have had to evolve antibiotic resistance in order to avoid being killed by rival organisms.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This level of idiocy makes me sad....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0n5-L7Py4

Dollars to donuts this woman has NEVER been to the Caribbean and NEVER been to a real carnival, yet here she is "offended" by a bunch of Caribbean people celebrating THEIR OWN DAMN HERITAGE.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    This level of idiocy makes me sad....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0n5-L7Py4

Dollars to donuts this woman has NEVER been to the Caribbean and NEVER been to a real carnival, yet here she is "offended" by a bunch of Caribbean people celebrating THEIR OWN DAMN HERITAGE.
    I know about this one pretty closely (being an Afro-Canadian person). And yeah; that's pretty ridiculous by any measure.

I will admit; that I can kind of get it (on some level) since it's particularly associated with First Nation individuals here in Canada but the fact that it is a shared cultural element was why it was being used (to add to Canada's 150th).

vCash
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love that the people who are outraged about these sort of things always look like how you imagined them to.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey I've been to that pub behind the reporter. It's pretty good.

Anyway, that chick is a fucking asshole and shame on City for even running this story. It's so stupid. Caribana is a celebration of traditional, aboriginal culture. They're quite literally using their own celebration of their heritage to also celebrate Canada's native heritage, and people are mad?

Fuuuuck yoouuuu

The Canadian Death Tour
    A very Canadian wrestling story by RT.
    Catch up now and stay tuned for "The Commonwealth Championship," coming soon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take this as a sign that the world has no hope:

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/05/2...-leave-campus/

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post

If the adminstration on that campus had any balls they would expel everyone of those "protestors"

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched that video the other day and couldn't get more than a few minutes in. It's not surprising this happened at a liberal arts college.

The protestors didn't want to hear his explanation and were wrong to begin with. He didn't do or say anything remotely racist. What a complete joke.

The Canadian Death Tour

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is where the US and identity politics is heading. Take the us versus them logic that fuels the news stations and apply it to racial matters and this is what you get. Groups screaming for equality by breaking each other down instead of building each other up. The belief to many students in highly liberal aeras is if you are a white male, you need to feel guilty about being white and male and the benefits that your race and sex give you AND make amends for it. It is really bad, and pretty much keeps me off campus now as I did not realize how crazy these people are until I offended a few of them by saying that online fourth wave feminist activism is not as effective as third wave protests were.
    Last edited by Engel; 05-28-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought you were going to go with the Portland women who opened up a burrito spot only to be told since they're white they are culturally appropriating tortillas.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogt...illamette-week

Portland has an appropriation problem.

This week in white nonsense, two white women—Kali Wilgus and Liz “LC” Connely—decided it would be cute to open a food truck after a fateful excursion to Mexico. There’s really nothing special about opening a Mexican restaurant—it’s probably something that happens everyday. But the owners of Kooks Burritos all but admitted in an interview with Willamette Week that they colonized this style of food when they decided to “pick the brains of every tortilla lady there in the worst broken Spanish ever.”

“...You can eat $5 lobster on the beach,” Connelly said, “which they give you with this bucket of tortillas.” The “they” she was referring to were probably the Mexican “abuelitas” these two women preyed upon in order to appropriate the secrets of their livelihood. Suitably impressed, these tourists began asking the locals questions about how these tortillas were made. “They told us basic ingredients,” Connelly said, adding “[but] they wouldn't tell us too much about technique.” Hmmm. Wonder why? This is where things go from quirky to predatory if you haven’t already guessed.

“…We were peeking into window of every kitchen, totally fascinated by how easy they made it look,” she said. So let’s recap the story thus far: These two white women went to Mexico, ate tacos, and then decided they would just take what the locals clearly didn't want to give them. If that wasn't bad enough, they decided to pack up all their stolen intellectual property and repackage it in one of the few places where such a business could plausibly work: Portland, Oregon.

I consider myself socially liberal and all but yeah, this ain't helping.

BRB going to tell all my Chinese brethren we are no longer allowed to make hamburgers.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The author of that slam piece got fired if you can call writing about smoking weed twice a month in a blog working. She is also extremely racism on twitter.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    The author of that slam piece got fired if you can call writing about smoking weed twice a month in a blog working. She is also extremely racism on twitter.
    True, but the burrito stand closed so I guess it still worked.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another week, another terrorist attack on London. Scary shit there.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone I know quite well was in a pub just across the street from the stabbing attack.

Just mental.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kemis. View Post
    Someone I know quite well was in a pub just across the street from the stabbing attack.

Just mental.
    I've seen the images from those pubs when the police stormed in. Can't imagine some dudes just running in and knifing random people amidst all that chaos. Unreal. Glad your friend is ok.

The Canadian Death Tour

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luckily he was across the road. Just been to see Depeche Mode at London Stadium when it all happened.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always been pretty liberally minded socially, but I cannot see my way clear to continue my support of Islamic immigration.
    While I fully acknowledge that 99.9% of Muslims have no terrorist intent, I cannot escape the pretty well established pattern where the higher the percentage of Muslim population the greater the occurrences of terror attacks.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always been pretty liberally minded socially, but I cannot see my way clear to continue my support of Islamic immigration.
    While I fully acknowledge that 99.9% of Muslims have no terrorist intent, I cannot escape the pretty well established pattern where the higher the percentage of Muslim population the greater the occurrences of terror attacks.
    I understand this point of view and can only speak on my own experiences in Canada, so here goes..

A higher Muslim population doesn't exactly equal a higher chance of terrorism. Much of the terrorism that has taken place in North America in recent years has been carried out by homegrown terrorists. The number of Muslim immigrants and refugees increased here in Canada after the Liberal party took over in 2015, and the only act of terror we've had was carried out by a white French Canadian that was known on social media as a racist Trump supporter. I'm pretty certain that there haven't been any attacks carried out by Muslims in the United States since that shooting in California a while ago, and before that was 9/11. Everything else was homegrown. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I can't remember for sure.

Our vetting of immigrants is very strict and the numbers didn't increase that much, so Canada might be a bad example. I can't speak for European countries that have seen a flood of immigrants and an increase in terrorism, however from what I understand most were not immigrants that carried out these acts. I might be wrong, I don't know. I just know what I read as I try to keep up with the madness.

The Canadian Death Tour

Thread Information