Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Warrior/Summerslam 91 Fiasco.

Chilly McFreeze

Default Ultimate Warrior/Summerslam 91 Fiasco.

I read somewhere that Ultimate Warrior walked out during the Main Event of Summerslam, where he tagged with Hulk Hogan to take on the Triangle of Terror(Sgt. Slaughter, General Adnan, and Colonel Mustafa). I think to make things look like it was part of the show, he chased Adnan and Mustafa out of the arena, while leaving Hogan with Slaughter, but in reality he held up Vince McMahon for more money. If any of that's true, then that's total disrespect to not only the company, but more importantly the fans. Anybody have info on this?

Default Re: Ultimate Warrior/Summerslam 91 Fiasco.

heres the only thing I found about it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In August 1991, Warrior was involved in an alleged pay dispute with WWF owner Vince McMahon. Warrior had put a figurative gun to Vince McMahon's head and threatened to no show the main event for SummerSlam (shown on The Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior DVD) teaming him with Hulk Hogan against Sgt. Slaughter, Colonel Mustafa, and General Adnan unless he was paid a certain amount of money. It is unclear whether this sum was an amount the Warrior felt was owed to him (for previous work), or whether it was a new demand. The amount was never disclosed to the public and after the Ultimate Warrior chased Adnan and Mustafa backstage, McMahon promptly fired him. He would then be re-hired in 1992.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Warrior#1987-1991

-Gorilla Monsoon

How much money do you think he wanted? He was pulling a good amount already right..

RobertDaBruce

the weird thing is i thought he got fired that night and it was on aug 26th but on some site it says it says WWF @ Long Beach, CA - September 1, 1991 (matinee)
    The Ultimate Warrior & WWF Tag Team Champions the Legion of Doom vs. the Undertaker & the Nasty Boys so i dont know

Quote Originally Posted by Reds
    the weird thing is i thought he got fired that night and it was on aug 26th but on some site it says it says WWF @ Long Beach, CA - September 1, 1991 (matinee)
    The Ultimate Warrior & WWF Tag Team Champions the Legion of Doom vs. the Undertaker & the Nasty Boys so i dont know
    You're right. According to thehistoryofwwe.com

WWF @ Long Beach, CA - September 1, 1991 (matinee)
    The Ultimate Warrior & WWF Tag Team Champions the Legion of Doom vs. the Undertaker & the Nasty Boys

Graham runs a great site there and does appear to be about 99% correct, but does state unless he actually witnessed the show cannot confirm dates and results 100%.

*GOLDdust*

Here is what warrior had to say

On Vince McMahon's Claims That He Couldn't Wait To Fire Warrior: "What I think you meant to say, Vince, was “hire,” not “fire”: “I couldn’t wait to hire his ass.” I worked for the WWF on three separate occasions and you fired me only once and that was in ‘92 using Davey Boy and I as scapegoats in an attempt to throw the feds off your own scandal-brewing steroid trail. And every time I left, you’d track me down and come begging to bring me back. Never once did I call you or anybody else from the WWF to come back -- you ALWAYS came to me. Even one time sending Ed Cohen to hunt me down in the backwoods of NM at 4:30 am -- this was after you suspended me in ‘91. When you found me, you would always show up with two things. One, your stupid, superficial question “Don’t you miss the celebrity and limelight?” and, two, a goodie bag carrying a fat check to assuage your guilt and fault for letting me get out the door to begin with. You were a spoiled little kid even back then. You always had to learn the truth about me the hard way: “Damn, that guy really does do what he says he will do.”

On Vince McMahon's claim that Warrior held WWF up for money: "...you got that wrong, too. Of course, it’s a fantasy you’ve created, so that makes it true in your twisted mind. There was an issue about a Wrestlemania 7 payoff, but the strong-arming being done was by you and your conniving financial thug at the time, Doug Sages, not me. Instead of being straightforward with me about what the payoff was going to be, you kept dragging out avoiding any discussion about it while Sages unethically concocted a counterfeit loan to me, which I knew nothing about till much later, say, around Summerslam time. How coincidental. When I called you on it, you duplicitously scribbled down and rushed me a letter praising me for my contributions to the company, my one-of-a-kind work ethic, and that you were proud to have me not just as a talent but know me as a friend -- and, then, Surprise! you pulled a 180 on me and courageously suspended me after the ‘91 Summerslam match by handing me a tough, condescending letter. You expected me to drop to my knees right then and lick one of the three balls you claimed you had, begging you to take me back, right there in that MSG locker room, right there in front of your adulterous ball licker at the time, Mrs. Emily Feinburg, (so you could show her, I guess, how big a man you were), but I told you that Emily was the one good at it and you wouldn’t be seeing me for quite some time. I didn’t lie. I got my bags, went to AZ, moved to NM and left you ill with worry about where I was. “Where’s MY Warrior?’ you boohooed for months. It is a flat-out Wizard of OZ fantasy that I ever held you or WWF up for money."

ultimatewarrior.com
    Last edited by *GOLDdust*; 10-05-2006 at 02:48 PM.

Baddest of the Bad Stunning Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *GOLDdust*
    On Vince McMahon's Claims That He Couldn't Wait To Fire Warrior: "What I think you meant to say, Vince, was “hire,” not “fire”: “I couldn’t wait to hire his ass.” I worked for the WWF on three separate occasions and you fired me only once and that was in ‘92 using Davey Boy and I as scapegoats in an attempt to throw the feds off your own scandal-brewing steroid trail. And every time I left, you’d track me down and come begging to bring me back. Never once did I call you or anybody else from the WWF to come back -- you ALWAYS came to me. Even one time sending Ed Cohen to hunt me down in the backwoods of NM at 4:30 am -- this was after you suspended me in ‘91. When you found me, you would always show up with two things. One, your stupid, superficial question “Don’t you miss the celebrity and limelight?” and, two, a goodie bag carrying a fat check to assuage your guilt and fault for letting me get out the door to begin with. You were a spoiled little kid even back then. You always had to learn the truth about me the hard way: “Damn, that guy really does do what he says he will do.”

On Vince McMahon's claim that Warrior held WWF up for money: "...you got that wrong, too. Of course, it’s a fantasy you’ve created, so that makes it true in your twisted mind. There was an issue about a Wrestlemania 7 payoff, but the strong-arming being done was by you and your conniving financial thug at the time, Doug Sages, not me. Instead of being straightforward with me about what the payoff was going to be, you kept dragging out avoiding any discussion about it while Sages unethically concocted a counterfeit loan to me, which I knew nothing about till much later, say, around Summerslam time. How coincidental. When I called you on it, you duplicitously scribbled down and rushed me a letter praising me for my contributions to the company, my one-of-a-kind work ethic, and that you were proud to have me not just as a talent but know me as a friend -- and, then, Surprise! you pulled a 180 on me and courageously suspended me after the ‘91 Summerslam match by handing me a tough, condescending letter. You expected me to drop to my knees right then and lick one of the three balls you claimed you had, begging you to take me back, right there in that MSG locker room, right there in front of your adulterous ball licker at the time, Mrs. Emily Feinburg, (so you could show her, I guess, how big a man you were), but I told you that Emily was the one good at it and you wouldn’t be seeing me for quite some time. I didn’t lie. I got my bags, went to AZ, moved to NM and left you ill with worry about where I was. “Where’s MY Warrior?’ you boohooed for months. It is a flat-out Wizard of OZ fantasy that I ever held you or WWF up for money."

ultimatewarrior.com
    You know it just occurred to me I will never get back the 28 brain cells I lost reading that.

Warrior always thought he was worth waaaaay more than he actually was. There's a segment on his DVD about the hold up and all of that.

Occasionally shining...
    Forever Stunning...

Sharkboy > Barry Horowitz HulkamaniaBaby's Avatar

Can't remember where I read it, or perhaps I've even seen it on a shoot interview or something but didn't Hogan and Slaughter threaten to break Hellwig's legs had he not participated in that match?

After reading that, the Ultimate Warrior has reached the level of Al Davis for lack of brain cells.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."

Warrior would be pretty tough to teach a lesson, Hogan and Slaughter might have had to rush him and hope to keep him down.

I dont doubt for a second that Warrior was owed money. I also dont think he held Vince up. I think a combination of the two is the most likely. We will probably never know.

Warrior was a one of akind person and one of a kind wrestler.
    Shawn Michaels

Ricky Steamboat

Randy Savage

right there in front of your adulterous ball licker at the time, Mrs. Emily Feinburg
    Was Emily Feinburg actually "Emily Hotbody"? During Superstars of Wrestling broadcasts in the late 80s, Jesse Ventura would always be complaining to Vince that Jack Tunneys secretary 'Emily Hotbody' was trying to get a date with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stunning Steve
    You know it just occurred to me I will never get back the 28 brain cells I lost reading that.

Warrior always thought he was worth waaaaay more than he actually was. There's a segment on his DVD about the hold up and all of that.

Warrior was actually THAT big back then, this story doesn't surprise me at all

I have reason to believe the stories about Warrior supposedly holding Vince up for more money are grossly exaggerated. On the Ultimate Warrior's DVD, Vince explains, "Ultimate Warrior basically came to me and figuratively put a gun to my head and said, 'Hey. I'm not gonna go out and perform unless you pay me x number of dollars, and I forget how much it was." Vince later explains, "As soon as he came out of the ring, I could not wait to fire him. I mean, it gave me great pleasure to fire him and to let him know why I was doing it." I find it very hard to believe that someone like Vince is not going to remember the specific number, especially since it angered him so greatly. You are not going to find billionaires that forget numbers that easily. Oddly, neither Hulk Hogan nor Sgt. Slaughter remember how much Warrior was asking for either. Gene Okerlund suggest that Warrior may have asked for $500,000 but, by his own admission, he doesn't really know how much Warrior asked for. Vince McMahon then explains, "By the way, I did live up to my word and paid him whatever it was I agreed to pay him, when obviously I didn't have to. But, none the less, that's me." Vince actually tried to paint himself as some sort of hero for paying Warrior what he agreed to pay him. I have a strong feeling that Warrior's demands were a lot more reasonable than we have been led to believe. Perhaps he was demanding merchandising or PPV money that was rightfully owed to him. Perhaps he was demanding to get the same payoff that Hogan was getting for Summer Slam. Regardless, I sincerely doubt that we got the whole truth. There is no way Vince "can't remember."
    Last edited by cooliomcawesome; 10-05-2006 at 01:30 AM.

There is no way Vince "can't remember."
    That's exactly the way Reagan got out of trouble in the 80's. It worked for him so why not Vince? But I agree, Warrior may be a bit of a loony and so what he says shouldn't be taken as truth, but neither should the other side. Like in any argument, you won't be getting the truth from either side.

Credit to Cabanarama for the thing

It's funny how Hogan commented on this on the Warriors dvd, when there's rumors he did the same thing 2 years later at WM 9.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan_1986
    It's funny how Hogan commented on this on the Warriors dvd, when there's rumors he did the same thing 2 years later at WM 9.
    What did he do?
    Samoa Joe = Best wrestler in the world

Credit for this banner goes to BeniotsGurl

I'm guessing Hogan said either make room for me winning the WWF Championship, or I walk.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."

I think it's quite a stretch to equate that with what Warrior did...
    Samoa Joe = Best wrestler in the world

Credit for this banner goes to BeniotsGurl

Jim Hellwig

Of course Vince owed me money ( and still does)

I was the WWE biggest star of that period and they tried to pay me cut-rate. Any logical buisness man would have done what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Brody Fan
    What did he do?

From what I heard he waited until either the morning of or the night before. He then went up to McMahon and demanded to win the title by the end of the show, and if he wouldn't get it, he would no show. Hulk was in the co main event tag match and Vince couldn't afford to have him no show. The one thing that I find most interesting is Hogan's eye. They always have said it was from a sail boating accident just before the ppv, I believe. However, according to this story, when Randy Savage heard about what Hogan was doing, he punched him out.

RobertDaBruce

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hellwig
    Of course Vince owed me money ( and still does)

I was the WWE biggest star of that period and they tried to pay me cut-rate. Any logical buisness man would have done what I did.
    if u were really him u would of made ur name warrior not jim hellwig since that legally is his name

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan_1986
    The one thing that I find most interesting is Hogan's eye. They always have said it was from a sail boating accident
    jet ski not sailboat

I don't understand why this match from Summerslam 1991 isn't on the Ultimate Warrior DVD. I also heard that if Ultimate Warrior didn't get the WWE IC title shot against the Honkytonk Man at Summerslam 1988 that he was going to walk because the original WWE IC title shot was supposed to be for Honkytonk Man against Brutus Beefcake.

Beefcake is the one who was injured in the sailing accident.
    Shawn Michaels

Ricky Steamboat

Randy Savage

Question Re: Ultimate Warrior/Summerslam 91 Fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by UDW18
    That was 1990, we're talking about 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds
    jet ski not sailboat

Quote Originally Posted by UDW18

Ok yeah, that's right, I just confused the two.

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd
    That was 1990, we're talking about 1988.
    Who is? It was only mentioned once. This post is about 1991, and when I confused the boat/ski accidents someone mentioned 1990 with Brutus' accident.

Thread Information