Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: LIST! CAMERAS! ACTIONS! PW's 35 Favorite Directors!

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: LIST! CAMERAS! ACTIONS! PW's 35 Favorite Directors!

I would like to sincerely thank everyone who put Mel Brooks on their list because I was a complete jackass to forget about him. I think he's the greatest comedy director of all-time. History of the World Part I, Blazing Saddles, High Anxiety, Young Frankenstein, The Producers, etc.....etc.... And the critics once again can suck my sweaty balls, both Spaceballs And Men in Tights are CLASSICS. Films I laughed ass off to, have passed to my children, and watched THEM laugh their asses off to.

I give props to Hughes for Ferris Bueller (which is still incredibly fun) and Plains, Trains, and Automobiles but that's really about it. Even as a kid I thought The Breakfast Club was an absolute whine-fest, and as an adult that view has only gotten worse.

I did however really dig Weird Science. It was prime KELLY LEBROCK for fuck's sake, what's not to like???
    Last edited by The Real LT; Today at 12:22 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9. John Hughes
    11. Ridley Scott
    14. Francis Ford Coppola
    15. Terence Fisher

If you count writer and producer credits John Hughes had an insane run of great films but his run with the Brat Pack and Planes Trains and Automobiles made him a must for my list. I count Ferris Bueller as maybe his fourth best film which speaks to his depth and the 30th anniversary showing of The Breakfast Club in theaters was packed when I went which shows his lasting appeal.

Weird Science also has a great performance from the late Bill Paxton so get on it UT!

vCash
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12. Stanley Kubrick

Critical Highs
    - Dr. Strangelove Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
    - The Killing
    - Spartacus
    - Full Metal Jacket
    - Lolita
    - 2001: A Space Odyssey
    - Paths of Glory
    - A Clockwork Orange
    - The Shining

Critical Lows
    N/A

Box Office Breakdown
    - Lifetime Gross Total: $241,224,276
    - Lifetime Adjusted Total: Adjusted Total: $961,218,400
    - Lifetime Gross Average: Average: $34,460,611
    - Lifetime Adjusted Average: $137,316,900

Awards & Nominations
    - 4x Oscar Nominee for Best Director
    - 4x Golden Globe Nominee for Best Director

vCash
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm personally not a huge Kubrick guy , not to say he isn't great as his resume speaks for itself but aside from The Shining I don't know that I've ever been engrossed enough to sit down and watch a Kubrick film , including A Clockwork Orange. It just seems a little out there for me.

Having said that I can't ignore what he's done , it speaks to his ability and standards that critically - he has never made a bad movie. Take it for what it's worth but that to me at least says something about the amount of work he puts into each film. Also it says something that a film like The Shining , a movie revered in horror circles and looked at as an all time classic is like his lowest rated film - my favorite but still - incredible.

I was also kind of shocked to see the money he pulled in on his films - I didn't think those numbers would be as impressible but they are.

At the end of the day he's definitely atop of the conversation of most prolific and greatest directors , but wouldn't sniff my list.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Stanley Kubrick
    9. John Hughes
    11. Ridley Scott
    14. Francis Ford Coppola
    15. Terence Fisher

Maybe besides Hitchcock Kubrick has the most recognizable style to his films. His use of one point perspective, upturned eyes on his actors to denote insanity (Jack Nicholson, Vincent D'Onofrio) and his abstract editing choices make him one of the most compelling directors. I come away with something different every time I watch films like A Clockwork Orange, 2001 or Dr. Strangelove. His influence on everyone from Spielberg to Christopher Nolan can't be overlooked either. Surprised he's not in the top 10.

vCash
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Icon View Post
    1. Stanley Kubrick
    9. John Hughes
    11. Ridley Scott
    14. Francis Ford Coppola
    15. Terence Fisher

Maybe besides Hitchcock Kubrick has the most recognizable style to his films. His use of one point perspective, upturned eyes on his actors to denote insanity (Jack Nicholson, Vincent D'Onofrio) and his abstract editing choices make him one of the most compelling directors. I come away with something different every time I watch films like A Clockwork Orange, 2001 or Dr. Strangelove. His influence on everyone from Spielberg to Christopher Nolan can't be overlooked either. Surprised he's not in the top 10.
    I thought he would be two , and he was tied for the most first place votes so it was looking okay for him but he just didn't make enough lists overall. I think it speaks to the types of movies , he is a divisive director amongst a lot of movie fans.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UT View Post
    I thought he would be two , and he was tied for the most first place votes so it was looking okay for him but he just didn't make enough lists overall. I think it speaks to the types of movies , he is a divisive director amongst a lot of movie fans.
    Plus if this list were done 30 or so years ago most of his movies would be considered critical flops. As with most people his death made critics reevaluate his films.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UT View Post
    I'm personally not a huge Kubrick guy , not to say he isn't great as his resume speaks for itself but aside from The Shining I don't know that I've ever been engrossed enough to sit down and watch a Kubrick film , including A Clockwork Orange. It just seems a little out there for me.
    This is exactly my perspective on Kubrick. I find his style to be actively off-putting in some cases. The Shining is one of the greatest horror films ever made, so kudos to him for that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a a pure film making perspective I get why Kubrick is so highly regarded, but the sad fact is I'm not that big into his movies. He's got only two from his resume I really like, that would be Full Metal Jacket and The Shining.

Plus Eyes Wide Shut was absolutely DREADFUL and so many of the Kubrick fanboys still try and defend it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Eyes Wide Shut was a critical flop.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    I thought Eyes Wide Shut was a critical flop.
    It was.

vCash
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's 74% and Certifried Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes - the critics have come around on it apparently.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew Kubrick was going to be the "got #1 votes but didn't place very high" guy. 12th overall is pretty good with something as subjective as movies but for me personally I'm amazed he isn't top 10. Some of the directors finishing ahead of him are going to piss me off, I can tell already.

And before you ask, no, I didn't like Eyes Wide Shut.

1. Stanley Kubrick
    7. Francis Ford Coppola
    9. John Hughes
    13. Tim Burton

John Hughes defined the 80's and deserved to be where he's at, if not higher. He could do no wrong.

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also it says something that a film like The Shining , a movie revered in horror circles and looked at as an all time classic is like his lowest rated film - my favorite but still - incredible.
    Long time Stephen King fans absolutely LOATHED the movie (as did Stephen King himself) when it was released. That's probably a big reason why it was so panned on release. An older friend of mine watched it in the theater and actually walked out before the movie was finished. To this day he says the The Shining is an absolute piece of shit and NOTHING will change his mind about it.

For me though, I thought it was fantastic. I'm not much a Stephen King reader, so maybe that helped. But as a horror movie The Shining hit all the right notes IMO.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I knew Kubrick was going to be the "got #1 votes but didn't place very high" guy. 12th overall is pretty good with something as subjective as movies but for me personally I'm amazed he isn't top 10. Some of the directors finishing ahead of him are going to piss me off, I can tell already.
    There are two directors on my own list who I am surprised possibly placed ahead of Kubrick since they are both noted for having "weird" and non traditional approaches.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I also know a couple of King readers who loathe The Shining. I happened to watch the film before reading the book and so don't have that bias. Perhaps one of the rare occasions where watching the film first is better. There's a Shining TV miniseries that is apparently much more faithful to the books.

Thread Information