Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LIST! CAMERAS! ACTIONS! PW's 35 Favorite Directors!

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: LIST! CAMERAS! ACTIONS! PW's 35 Favorite Directors!

Much like Wilder, haven't seen enough of Capra for him to make the list. It Happened One Night is not a bad film but it doesn't suit my particular tastes. It's a Wonderful Life is a classic. It's not mandatory viewing in the UK as it is in the USA, but I saw it a few years ago because of all the hype and didn't regret it. One of very few old films I've seen more than once.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Billy Wilder - one of those directors that deserves all the recognition in the world, but is before my time. I've seen zero of his movies.

Miyazaki - actually surprised he didn't get voted higher. Guess not many from the Nerdery sent in lists. His work is brilliant but not something I personally enjoy. Same as Wilder, I haven't seen any of his movies in full and couldn't rightly vote for him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2. Billy Wilder
    5. Frank Capra

Unsurprisingly Capra is from my list also. It's A Wonderful Life and Mr Deeds are two of my all-time favourites and It Happened One Night isn't far behind.

s u r r e n d e r

***Take part in PW's Match of the Year 2016 Tournament in the Wide World of Wrestling**
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showt...53#post4407453

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

28. John Waters

Movie Tops
    - Hairspray
    - Cry Baby
    - Pink Flamingos
    - Serial Mom

Awards & Nominations
    - x1 Best Director Nomination for Best Director at Spirit Awards (Hairspray)

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like Waters the actor or just personality in general media , but I had no idea he actually directed Cry Baby , a god damn treasure of a movie and something he should definitely be applauded for. He probably wouldn't make a list of my Top 100 based off that alone but I now do like him a little more because of it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

27. George Roy Hill

Movie Tops
    - The Sting
    - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    - Thoroughly Modern Millie
    - The World of Henry Orient
    - Slap Shot

Movie Flops
    - Toys in the Attic

Awards & Nominations
    - 1970 Oscar Nomination for Best Director (Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid)
    - 1974 Oscar Winner for Best Director (The Sting)

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Sting is awesome. Otherwise I don't know anything about these two chaps and their films.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sting and Slap Shot are both terrific, but that's all I know about George Roy Hill, so he didn't quite make my list.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So somehow the list got deleted from my computer , I blame the wife though she is bearing no responsibility for it.

Good news: I remember most of the top 25 - so I don't have to recalculate every single list from scratch and it shouldn't take me long.

Bad news: The directors who missed the cut might not get a proper mention at the end.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

26. Akira Kurosawa

Movie Tops
    Seven Samurai
    Rashomon
    Throne of Blood
    Ran
    Stray Dog
    High and Low

Awards and Nominations
    - 1990 Honorary Academy Award
    - 1985 Oscar Nomination for Best Director (Ran)

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only Kurosawa movie I really heard of before today was Seven Samurai , which I heard was awesome. Reading up on him though and through some of the awards and things it seems as if Ran might be his most heralded movie - but I really have no clue.

Hopefully @Emperor can possibly shed some more light on it because I wasn't sure at all what was remotely important or not important in Kurosawa's history.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seven Samurai is great. It's been re-made numerous times, if you've ever seen one of the Magnificent Seven's, you've roughly seen Seven Samurai, but not really, though some of those westerns are fun as well. The movie to see is Ran. Just an amazing movie to see. I saw it for the first time on VHS, then on DVD...then, I got to see it on the big screen and wow, does it really need to be seen like that. It's loosely, King Lear, but Kurosawa really has made it his own. If nothing else comes from this, see this film in any format you can. The best quality picture available the better, because the colors are amazing.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    Seven Samurai is great. It's been re-made numerous times, if you've ever seen one of the Magnificent Seven's, you've roughly seen Seven Samurai, but not really, though some of those westerns are fun as well. The movie to see is Ran. Just an amazing movie to see. I saw it for the first time on VHS, then on DVD...then, I got to see it on the big screen and wow, does it really need to be seen like that. It's loosely, King Lear, but Kurosawa really has made it his own. If nothing else comes from this, see this film in any format you can. The best quality picture available the better, because the colors are amazing.
    I remember there being another movie that was pretty much called a ripoff of Seven Samurai but I can't remember what it was - it wasn't Magnificent Seven though.

What is Ran about?

Heh - after doing a very quick bit of research I found out Pixar's A Bugs Life is based loosely off Seven Samurai. That's fucking awesome.

Also read that Star Wars is heavily influenced and originally was pretty much a ripoff of Kurosawa. Influential dude.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I made a blunder in ranking Kurosawa as high as I did. I now realise that I've only seen one of his films, but when making my list I was erroneously attributing some Japanese films of the 50s and 60s to Kurosawa that were directed by others. Embarrassing. Turns out he's directed fewer films than I thought, but a good number of them are landmarks of Japanese cinema (and cinema as a whole) and have had huge influence. Most notably the film Yojimbo, later to be remade as the spaghetti Western A Fistful of Dollars that would launch Clint Eastwood to stardom and revive the Western genre.

The one I've seen is Rashomon, a marvellous tale which sees four witnesses tell their own version of how a samurai met his unfortunate end. Of course the stories are contradictory. It's quite a complex story presented in an engaging way with fine performances, and it has some things to say about human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by UT View Post
    Also read that Star Wars is heavily influenced and originally was pretty much a ripoff of Kurosawa. Influential dude.
    This I did not know. What's the full story?

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    I made a blunder in ranking Kurosawa as high as I did. I now realise that I've only seen one of his films, but when making my list I was erroneously attributing some Japanese films of the 50s and 60s to Kurosawa that were directed by others. Embarrassing. Turns out he's directed fewer films than I thought, but a good number of them are landmarks of Japanese cinema (and cinema as a whole) and have had huge influence. Most notably the film Yojimbo, later to be remade as the Western A Fistful of Dollars that would launch Clint Eastwood to stardom and revive the Western genre.

The one I've seen is Rashomon, a marvellous tale which sees four witnesses tell their own version of how a samurai met his unfortunate end. Of course the stories are contradictory. It's quite a complex story presented in an engaging way with fine performances, and it has some things to say about human nature.
    It's a good thing you did though , otherwise he wouldn't of made it to the final rankings and no one would be talking about it. Definitely an interesting director to read/learn about.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, a blessing in disguise I suppose. I watched A Fistful of Dollars recently with the intention of watching Yojimbo shortly after, but that never happened.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    This I did not know. What's the full story?
    This is a condensed blurb:

The first of the Star Wars films and later renamed Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope, George Lucas’s space opera probably needs no introductions. Star Wars was influenced by Kurosawa’s films in general and The Hidden Fortress in particular — so much so that the first drafts of the film read like a straight space adaptation of Kurosawa’s adventure film.
    I guess saying ripoff isn't probably the most accurate , I dislike Star Wars but can't deny they are an incredible franchise. I'm going to try and find some more stuff .

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically, King Lear...it's an elderly warlord giving his throne to his three sons. It was beautifully shot, Kurosawa was nearly blind and I guess this was how imagined the colors to look. I think they won an Oscar for Costume Design or Cinematography. It's visually stunning to watch.

There have been many movies based on Seven Samurai, not just the Magnificent Sevens.

Rashomon is another great one to watch.

Have some time to watch his films, they can be long...Ran is over 2.5 hours and Samurai is at least 3 hours.

Also, Toshiro Mifune is/was his lead of choice. He's in Samurai, Rashomon, Yojimbo and Throne of Blood. Not sure why he wasn't in Ran.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard of several but have never seen a Kurosawa film. Rashomon is the one I've heard most often in its influence.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25. Francis Ford Coppola

Movie Tops
    - The Godfather
    - The Godfather II
    - Apocalypse Now
    - The Conversation
    - The Rainmaker
    - Bram Stroker's Dracula

Movie Flops
    - Supernova
    - Jack

Awards and Nominations
    - 2011 Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award
    - 4x Oscar Nominee for Best Director
    - 1975 Oscar Winner for Best Director (The Godfather II)
    - 3x Golden Globe Nominee for Best Director
    - 2x Golden Globe Winner for Best Director (The Godfather , Apocalypse Now)

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coppola being this low on the list is a pretty big upset IMO.

I think Coppola is incredible , his resume is incredible and his lunacy is fucking incredible. Most directors would kill for any one of his "big three" movies and those three only begin to scratch the surface on him remarkable career. The Godfather 1 & 2 is arguably the greatest first two movies of a trilogy of all time - it's a shame part three happened the way it did.

His antics on Apocalypse Now is now lore and theres a great documentary out there about it for anyone interested.

Having said all that , he still missed my list. I respect the hell out of him and if this were a "greatest list" I would have more of a hard time keeping him off ... but rewatchability is a huge thing for me and making palatable movies is as well and as brilliant as Coppola movies could be - I don't think I've ever watched Apocalypse Now a second time and The Godfather 1 & 2 I've maybe seen two or three times. Just my opinion.

Oh and Rotten Tomato's can kiss my ass for rating Jack that low.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seven Samurai is the only Kurosawa film I've watched, and it was awesome. I've heard great things about Rashamon, but have never seen it. So I couldn't rank Kurosawa because I really haven't seen enough of him.

Coppola on the other hand did make my list, and i'm surprised he's this low. Godfather I and II are both classics, Apocalypse Now is about the greatest adaptation of Heart of Darkness you will ever see, and Bram Stoker's Dracula was pretty solid. That was enough for me to add Coppola to my list.

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    Seven Samurai is the only Kurosawa film I've watched, and it was awesome. I've heard great things about Rashamon, but have never seen it. So I couldn't rank Kurosawa because I really haven't seen enough of him.

Coppola on the other hand did make my list, and i'm surprised he's this low. Godfather I and II are both classics, Apocalypse Now is about the greatest adaptation of Heart of Darkness you will ever see, and Bram Stoker's Dracula was pretty solid. That was enough for me to add Coppola to my list.
    Speaking of Hearts of Darkness - that is also the name of the documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now and I strongly encourage anyone who is interested in this stuff to check that doc out as it's one of the best movies documentaries I've ever seen.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never been a Coppola fan. I don't hold the Godfather films in the glory that many due and his other films don't do a ton for me. So, outside Apocalypse Now...he doesn't do much for me. I hold him in high regard as a filmaker, but this being favorite over best...he wasn't even a thought.

Thread Information