Thread: Would Rene Dupree ever have been a main event star in the WWE?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Would Rene Dupree ever have been a main event star in the WWE?

You know I always liked Rene Dupree, right from his debut he looked like a star and after the La Resistance tag team (which I also rated) it looked like he was going to be a major player in the WWE.

I remember he even had his short lived talk show section 'cafe del Rene' I think it was called and I thought he played the anti American gimmick perfectly. Age, Size and charisma all seemed to be on his side and obviously we know JBL gave him a hard time back stage which seemingly lead to him leaving the company.

Do you think if Rene had stayed in the WWE he would have become a major star in the company? Looking at the current situation he would have been perfect and better in the role Jinder Mahal is portraying right now

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Would Rene Dupree ever have been a main event star in the WWE?

He was 19. He had a great body and was solid in the ring. I think he would have gotten there had he not caused some problems backstage. Then again, he's a young guy at the time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a little tidbit that I thought would be fun to add: René Duprée is the same age today as Deacon Batista was in 2002.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose with the right push he could have been big. He was young with a good look and I don't think he was much better or worse than Randy Orton in the ring.

I personally wasn't a Rene Dupree fan at all. He was so bland. Very much a product of the times as WWE called up one dull OVW prospect after another. Nothing about his wrestling stood out and even the La Resistance gimmick, which I thought was going to be a heat magnet, failed to attract much interest. I have trouble remembering a single thing he did outside of almost killing Spike Dudley when La Resistance botched a double chokeslam from the ring to the floor.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His maturity level, drugs and politics did him in.

For perspective, he's just six months older than Kevin Owens. I mean, can you imagine (for example) Owens debuting in WWE in late 2003 (at the same age)? Nobody is ready for that, no matter their look or pedigree (Dupree began working for his father's promotion in Canada at age 14).

If he'd spent his early 20s coming up through the indies, or even today's developmental system, he probably would have been a true star. Throwing such a young guy into the pressure cooker of the main roster was never really going to end well.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian_Peep View Post
    Looking at the current situation he would have been perfect and better in the role Jinder Mahal is portraying right now
    How would Rene have been better at being an Indian champ to spearhead the expansion into India?

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always liked Dupree and he was always one of those guys I thought they could push more than they did. It's kinda like how I feel about Cesaro nowadays. I am usually pretty entertained by him, I think his matches are usually good, and I think he could get a push higher than he is.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never thought Rene was anything special. He was just sort of there.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two things come to mind about Dupree - typecasting and booking 'young' wrestlers.

La Resistance was a terribly booked tag team that in many ways killed tag team wrestling in the WWE. Before their push, the Raw Tag Team division was building along nicely with teams like Booker T/Goldust, Chris Jericho/Christian, The Dudley Boyz, Three Minute Warning, Storm/Regal etc. Instead of retaining those acts and developing new teams, most of those groups were broken up and in their stead came La Resistance, a shallow xenophobic tag team that was clearly put together to keep the Dudley Boyz on top.

The biggest issue with La Resistance is that they won the World Tag Team Championships only six weeks into their run. La Resistance never 'earned' the World Tag Team championships, they were just handed them so the WWE could get the belts off of Kane/Rob Van Dam. In fact their biggest angle prior to winning the belts was a short-lived feud with Scott Steiner and Test. For those who weren't watching the WWE at the time, of all the horrible angles the WWE was putting on at around the time, Steiner/Test may have been in the Top 3 but that's a story for another time.

La Resistance didn't fair much better after they won the belts. After beating Kane/Rob Van Dam in their rematch, they engaged in a feud with the Hurricane for a couple of weeks before being relegated to Sunday Night Heat duty. After serving a three week stint, they were put into a program with the worst iteration of the Dudley Boyz, the pro-merica Dudleyz. La Resistance won the first encounter at SummerSlam, leading to their rematch at the Raw exclusive PPV where they dropped the belts and proceeded to get buried for the rest of the year.

Around that time, Grenier suffered an injury and was replaced by Rob Conway. Conway was a considerable improvement over the awful Grenier, but the Dupree/Conway team was never given a chance, usually working 4 minute matches before Dupree found himself on SmackDown.

Dupree faired better on SmackDown, serving as a good foil for Cena, Mysterio & Rob Van Dam. Evidently he was still green in the role, but he showed considerable promise and with the right effort could have forged a nice role for himself as an upper-mid card heel. Unfortunately backstage issues saw his role on the show diminished and he received very little television time after March of 2005. His last big match in the WWE was against The Undertaker in a Number One contender's match for the WWE Championship at No Way Out.

Dupree eventually resurfaced in ECW with greasy jet black hair (which was the style of the time...) where he put over Punk and Lashley. After that there was a brief La Resistance reunion, but it didn't last long and Dupree was released in 2007.

The question that needs to be asked is why was he called up in the first place? Surely any other team could have relieved Kane/Rob Van Dam of the WWE Tag Team championships, why did it have to be a bunch of green guys with gimmicks that would have worked better in the 80s? The obvious answer is image. At 19 years old, Dupree had a really good physique and traditionally that has always meant more to Vince than personality, charm or in-ring ability. Look at all the other shmoes that were called up around the time - John Heidenreich, Luther Reigns, Mark Jindrak, Nathan Jones, Matt Morgan, Kenzo Suzuki, Garrison Cade, Maven etc. Good physiques but little in the way of personality or presentation.

The Best of Dupree
    La Resistance vs Tommy Dreamer & Spike Dudley - Raw 5/5/03
    La Resistance vs Kane & Rob Van Dam - Bad Blood 2003
    La Resistance vs Tyson Dux & Bobby Roode - Sunday Night Heat 7/7/03
    La Resistance vs The Dudley Boyz - Unforgiven 2003
    Renee Dupree vs John Cena - SmackDown 25/5/04
    Renee Dupree vs John Cena vs Rob Van Dam vs Booker T - Great American Bash 2004
    Renee Dupree & Booker T & Luther Reigns vs Charlie Haas & John Cena & Rob Van Dam - SmackDown 10/8/04
    Renee Dupree & Kenzo Suzuki vs Paul London & Billy Kidman - SmackDown 7/9/04
    Renee Dupree & Kenzo Suzuki vs Rey Mysterio & Rob Van Dam - SmackDown 7/12/04
    Renee Dupree & Kenzo Suzuki vs Rey Mysterio & Rob Vam Dam - Armageddon 2004
    Renee Dupree vs The Undertaker - 31/1/05
    Renee Dupree vs Bobby Lashley - 19/12/06

Thread Information