Thread: Second Most Important Belt?

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Second Most Important Belt?

I think most people would agree the top belt in the industry in the main/real WWE Championship. What would you say is the next most important major/world title? Is it the IWGP?

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Second Most Important Belt?

Depends what angle you're coming from. If you're a professional wrestler, nine times out of ten the belt you'd want to hold the most is the WWE Championship. It's got the branding, it's got the history, and it's the defining belt of the biggest wrestling company in the world. If you hold that belt, you're going to get paid way more than most other wrestlers and you'll likely be a worldwide star, something no other company can offer.

However, if we look at it from a kayfabe/prestige point of view, right now I'd put the Universal Championship and the IWGP Championship above the WWE Championship. Mainly because of who the champions are and how the title has been booked in recent history. The last two Universal champions are Goldberg and Brock Lesnar, who are both booked tremendously. Lesnar is booked above the rest of the roster, to the point where beating him is a huge accomplishment. Beating Jinder Mahal, despite his good booking, not so much. However, go back not even a year and you have Kevin Owens in his poor Universal reign and the likes of AJ Styles and Cena holding the WWE Championship. Winning the WWE Championship was a much better kayfabe accomplishment than beating the weakly-booked Owens.

The problem with the top WWE belts is that they aren't booked with any consistency. The IWGP belt has been held by the very best wrestlers, and defended in the very best matches, for a very long time. Since 2011 only four guys have held the belt: Tanahashi, Okada, Styles, and Naito. It's a very hard title to win. Holding that belt means you are unquestionably the best wrestler in the company, maybe even the world. If you hold one of the two WWE world titles, you might not be the best world champion, and there's a handful of guys who are booked above any title. IWGP is king.

vCash
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're in the business, I'd imagine the WWE title would be it, with the IWGP being a STRONG #2. Unless you're born and bred with all WWE and know of nothing else in wrestling, being IWGP Champion and having a career at the top of New Japan Pro Wrestling would be pretty good, I'd imagine.

But that's really how it is with everyone. If you're just a WWE-only fan, the only titles that are important are the WWE Title and maybe the IC Title.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have to give the nod to IWGP for the same reason mentioned: the best wrestler holds the title. There is no "he's above he belt" ... all the top guys want to be IWGP Champion.

The WWE Championship is No. 2, even given the current titleholder, because I think this type of ranking needs to have a wider view than just "who's champion today."

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say WWE Championship (which I consider the WWE Title and Universal Title both to be that, just split to separate shows)

Number two is the IWGP Championship

Number three to me will probably be unpopular...still the Intercontinental Championship. I know at times it's been pushed aside by WWE, but the lineage alone keeps it ranked highly to me.

Fourth would actually be the NXT Championship because it's basically WWE's way of saying you're going to be a big part of their future. That's a big defining moment/Championship.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the ROH World title. The WWE respects it enough to sometimes mention it. And aren't most of ROH belts shown on New Japan programs. And usually only maybe the tag champions are shown on ROH tv. I have only seen WWE and whatever TNA/IW/GFW is currently calling themselves recently so I could wrong.
    TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I would say about the WWE belts.

Apart from the world titles, I would put any of the NXT titles above the other WWE belts. The nXt belts are treated as being important, whereas in WWE Proper, if ain't the world title, it don't mean jack shit

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed with HilaryFan. The NXT title is a much more worthwhile prize than any of the midcard WWE titles. Same for the tag titles and the women's titles. NXT's booking is hardly revolutionary, but they do a great job in keeping their champions strong and building up credible challenges.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...jinder is champion and universal is rarely on so currently most important in wwe belongs to raws woman title bliss...

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except she does non-title jobs every week.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...further prove wwe world titles are a joke...

Fo fo fo fo... for life patrick94's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say from purely a prestige point of view the IWGP heavyweight title is number 1, and the WWE title/s come in second place. The WWE titles are the money belts though, and that's the only advantage they have over the IWGP belt. If I were a pro wrestler, I would feel way more proud being able to hold an IWGP world title than a WWE title, especially as a gaijin
    Fuck The Revival!

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a significant argument to be made (in fact declared so by Hulk Hogan himself) that the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship is by far the most prestigious title in all of wrestling. Unlike WWE, NJPW protects that belt as the pinnacle of their company. Hell, you could even make an argument that the IWGP Intercontinental Championship is more valuable and prestigious than either of the WWE Championships right now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The IWGP has seemingly never been defended outside of a singles match. I believe it may have been in a triple threat once in ROH, but other than that I don't know if it's ever been defended in any wacky gimmick.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WWE Championship means nothing. Jinder Mahal is the current champ.

Meanwhile, AJ Styles and Kevin Steen recently fought for the US title.

There's no way you can tell me the WWE Championship means more than the US title.

Hell, you can't even make a good case for the US Title meaning anything.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Lethal View Post
    There is a significant argument to be made (in fact declared so by Hulk Hogan himself) that the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship is by far the most prestigious title in all of wrestling. Unlike WWE, NJPW protects that belt as the pinnacle of their company. Hell, you could even make an argument that the IWGP Intercontinental Championship is more valuable and prestigious than either of the WWE Championships right now.
    I don't ever have to see a NJPW to know that you're spot on about the NJPW Inter belt meaning more than any WWE title.

Thread Information