Thread: Any news on a 2nd Punk fight?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any news on a 2nd Punk fight?

Hey all,

I've read a few things here and there this year about Punk wanting a 2nd fight and there was some discussion going on to make it happen and that he would fight again whether it be UFC or another promotion. The last I heard was Punk was throwing names at Dana White but it seems like Dana hasn't bit on anything. As a huge Punk fan, it didn't go his way the 1st fight but I'd like to see him give the UFC a 2nd crack at it. What have you guys heard? Do you want to see a 2nd Punk UFC fight? Do you think he fights again?

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any news on a 2nd Punk fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Lilslimshady View Post
    What have you guys heard?
    I have heard nothing and people I have talked to don't think it's happening anytime soon if ever.

Do you want to see a 2nd Punk UFC fight?
    Nope

Do you think he fights again?
    Maybe
    Now you're on the field callin' me an asshole, 'Cause I roped up your body like a lasso

And I could be just like Mr. HK, runnin' cause a melee
    Bring my team a W, I'm poppin' shots like Pele

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Punk wants a second fight. The question is, will anyone be willing to pay him what he would ask for a second fight?

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...still waiting for the 1st fight...

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see it happening. Based on his performance I don't think he took his training very seriously or his coach didn't take his training very seriously, they just took the money and went through with it. The impression I got from it all was that it was just a publicity thing to keep his name trending to sell some comic books.

That was just so bad I don't think he was trained at all, at least not in a technical way, maybe they just let him spar a lot and do cardio/physical training, clearly they didn't spend a whole lot of time training technique with him. With all that said though I give him mad props for fighting regardless of the final result. You can pretty much count out any chance of him fighting again since it's already been so long and I haven't heard or seen anything about him still training. When you lose a fight the way he did the best thing to do is get back in there as soon as you possibly can, I lost my first 3 fights and after each one I just got more and more obsessed, after that 3rd loss I was like a madman just so driven they would have had to drag my dead body out of the cage in that 4th fight(I finally won). With Punk I get the impression that he's not really driven like that, I mean the dude made half a million from that loss. Still also think UFC put a bad matchup together for him in his first fight, could have given him somebody closer to his own age at least.

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we really need to see another Punk fight at this time? It'd be better (if he was serious and willing to do it), to have him on "the Ultimate Fighter", at least working his way towards a UFC spot legitimately.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    Do we really need to see another Punk fight at this time? It'd be better (if he was serious and willing to do it), to have him on "the Ultimate Fighter", at least working his way towards a UFC spot legitimately.
    I'd like to see that as well. Punk would better off taking that route.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I'd like to see that as well. Punk would better off taking that route.
    I think it would be equally unkind to him to go TUF route. I think he'd get mauled and be out of the competition pretty quickly. He's just to damn old. Combat sports is a young mans game and Punk is old(by fighter standards) and is just starting out and trying to compete. If he had a history of actual combat sports competition then I could buy it but he doesn't. WWE isn't real actual competition so I don't count that as being useful to his MMA career at all other than getting his foot in the door. If Punk wants a job he should try to be a commentator for mma somewhere...maybe, as long as he wouldn't spend the whole night trying to get himself over like he did anytime he commentated on WWE.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money talks

UFC is lacking fighters that draw.

So yeah, he will fight again. Most likely the end of this year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting him on The Ultimate Fighter makes sense but I think they learned their lesson from wasting Kimbo on that show, his lone fight on the show was one of the most watched MMA fights ever on TV and it was taped months in advance! And it was on cable not free network tv! And he lost. So had they put him on PPV and protected him somewhat with more even matchups they could have made so much more money and eventually put somebody over big time in a much bigger marquee fight. Putting Kimbo on TUF was one of the biggest wastes ever. Stupid really. UFC has this weird logic that they go by, like throwing Rousey against Nunes in her first fight back from over a year off coming off of a brutal knockout, their logic was that she was getting paid so much so she HAD to fight the Champion, it's the only way. Ok, look at your stupid ass now, UFC 213 is probably going to do the lowest buys for a UFC PPV in the past 13 years.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 07-16-2017 at 12:08 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vendrell View Post
    I think it would be equally unkind to him to go TUF route. I think he'd get mauled and be out of the competition pretty quickly. He's just to damn old.
    I feel the same.. It's not just the age, but most of the fighters coming trough TUF are high level fighters, some even decorated in other organizations. I dont think Mickey Gall is levels above those couming through TUF... Yet Gall made Punk look like easy work.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Putting him on The Ultimate Fighter makes sense but I think they learned their lesson from wasting Kimbo on that show, his lone fight on the show was one of the most watched MMA fights ever on TV and it was taped months in advance! And it was on cable not free network tv! And he lost. So had they put him on PPV and protected him somewhat with more even matchups they could have made so much more money and eventually put somebody over big time in a much bigger marquee fight. Putting Kimbo on TUF was one of the biggest wastes ever. Stupid really. UFC has this weird logic that they go by, like throwing Rousey against Nunes in her first fight back from over a year off coming off of a brutal knockout, their logic was that she was getting paid so much so she HAD to fight the Champion, it's the only way. Ok, look at your stupid ass now, UFC 213 is probably going to do the lowest buys for a UFC PPV in the past 13 years.
    UFC is so bad at novelty fights. How about when they threw Brock in with Frank F'n Mir in his first UFC fight, and Brock lost. Brock becomes one of their biggest draws ever, which is blind luck considering how bad they fucked it up to be begin with.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    UFC is so bad at novelty fights. How about when they threw Brock in with Frank F'n Mir in his first UFC fight, and Brock lost. Brock becomes one of their biggest draws ever, which is blind luck considering how bad they fucked it up to be begin with.

It almost felt like they were wanting Brock to lose. Brock's only weapon is wrestling, throwing him in against a guy who is dangerous on the mat was very odd. Of course when they ran the fight back, Brock mauled Frank and beat his face in so whatever.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He will fight again but UFC probably wants these big egos coming from the WWE torn down a little on their debut then they can rebuild up.
    TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by X-zero View Post
    He will fight again but UFC probably wants these big egos coming from the WWE torn down a little on their debut then they can rebuild up.
    I don't think there is anything to build up for Punk. Brock at least had the background in some sort of mma linked competition so you knew it was possible to build him up because he at least had a base. Punk doesn't even really have that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, UFC does not have the money to put Punk on TUF. Punk's ask would be millions for it. He knows he is ratings, and to give up that much time, he would want a lot more than the cost of a single fight. And really, why shouldn't Punk demand like 5 to 10 million if UFC is going to do one fight, plus 13 episodes or so of him? At that point things get weird, because Punk would want more cash than the two stars on the show would be taking in. Punk is not stupid, he knows by doing almost no media, he is still red hot when he wants to be. When he appears again, people will be paying big for it. He seen guys like Foley appear so much when they were "saving" their last matches that now they are next to nothing to bring in and he will not reduce his cost.

That said, Punk is closing in on 40, so if he wants to work again, it will have to be soon. His body is messed up as it is, and age will not be his friend here.
    Last edited by Engel; 07-17-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

The Voices, they scream Mr. Canoe's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if Punk signed a multi-fight contract or not but the way Bellator has been going after people lately it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped a ton of cash to bring Punk in

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My conspiracy theory has always been from day 1 that UFC did what they did with Punk just to keep him from going to Bellator.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't seen any news in awhile about this..I'd love to see it happen but it'll probably be in Bellator or some indy fighting league if anything. Hopefully Punk'll fight at least one more time.

Thread Information