vBookie Event: G1 Climax 2017 Championship/Tournament Winners (NJPW)
This event is over.

Outcome Odds Total Bets Total Staked
IWGP Heavyweight Championship 1/1000 F (1.00) 0 0  
Kazuchida Okada 3/10 (1.30) 1 3000 WIN!
Cody 5/2 (3.50) 6 4250  
IWGP US Championship Tournament 1/1000 F (1.00) 0 0  
Michael Elgin 9/10 (1.90) 3 2100  
Kenny Omega 9/10 (1.90) 2 1100 WIN!
Jay Lethal 2/1 (3.00) 0 0  
Juice Robinson 3/2 (2.50) 0 0  
Hangman Page 4/1 (5.00) 0 0  
Zack Sabre Jr. 7/4 (2.75) 0 0  
Tomohiro Ishii 6/5 (2.20) 0 0  
Tetsuya Naito 6/5 (2.20) 0 0  
G1 Climax 1/1000 F (1.00) 0 0  
Kota Ibushi 9/1 (10.00) 0 0  
Tetsuya Naito 4/1 (5.00) 2 2300 WIN!
Kazuchida Okada 5/1 (6.00) 0 0  
Kenny Omega 4/1 (5.00) 2 1500  
Minoru Suzuki 10/1 (11.00) 0 0  
Hiroshi Tanahashi 6/1 (7.00) 0 0  
Other 10/1 (11.00) 2 200  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NJPW G1 Climax 2017

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: NJPW G1 Climax 2017

Suddenly the G1 is picking up at an alarming rate. Naito vs ZSJ, Elgin vs Suzuki, Omega vs Robinson and Okada vs EVIL all fantastic matches. Let's see if the momentum keeps going on the next shows.

Spoiler

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ishii vs Tana was fantastic

Ishii is MVP no matter what happens from now. He's basically guaranteed to have a good match with Zack anyway

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dean tried to tell people. The inside cradle cannot be stopped. Great booking.

On a side note, the fastest selling RoH show to date's card right now is Kenny Omega appearing. That is all that was announced.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Beautiful finish to Omega vs SANADA. Okada vs Suzuki got off to a mediocre start, but really picked up at the end. Much better than their New Beginning match.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My prediction from day 1 has been Naito beating Omega in the finals, so far I am still in the running. Omega conquers Okada in their third encounter but not for the title, while Naito finishes off Tanahashi, denying him the Main Event once again in revenge for Wrestle Kingdom 8. Finally Naito avenges his loss to Omega from last year. All well told, perfectly placed storylines that have developed throughout the year that can come to a logical conclusion with the G1 leading NJPW to embrace Naito as their next big main eventer (something they tried and failed to do with WK8)

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suzuki vs Okada was outstanding, the best match they have had. It's in running for MOTT at the very least

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nagata-sama had an outstanding G1 and showed why he's one of the greats. The end of his final G1 was filled with emotion. Fitting that Fale was the one to send him out with class.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That ending to Fale Nagata was pure, pure emotion. Nagata is truly an all time great. It was his last tournament and he's arguably the MVP of the whole thing. That's a hell of an achievement

Naito vs Tana was brilliant, one of my favourite matches of the tournament for sure. It's going to be really, really Hard to decide a top five. I'll wait until it's all over now before I attempt it

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Okada vs Omega delivered once again. While at sub 30 minutes it was never going to match their previous two matches, they told a brilliant story and added all the dramatic counters and near falls they do so well. Match of the tournament? Probably. Wouldn't be surprised if the final surpassed it though.

Shout out to Tama Tonga and SANADA for their noble effort at stealing the comedy match crown from Toru Yano. If Yano vs Omega didn't happen, they'd have beaten Yano in having the most fun match of the tournament. I bet nobody watched that match, which is understandable, but I recommend it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omega vs Okada did what it had to do, showed if Kenny connected with the OWA, he would be able to beat Okada.

Exactly what I expected to happen here. So much to catch up on still.

Naito vs Omega should be really good. I expect Omega to win and challenge Okada. Not the right move IMO, but it is the expected move.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My money is on Naito. He has a deep story line with this also. (Main Eventing in the Tokyo Dome)

I also think Omega will be World Champ by then.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shibata Katsuyori!!!!!!!

Nothing else is topping that

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decided to do things different this year and just wait until the final three shows. Usually by Day 13, I'm just burnt out so at least this way I'd have a fresh perspective on the shows that Gedo REALLY cares about.

Day 17

Yuji Nagata vs Bad Luck Fale - Classic match up here with Fale using his power to brutalize Nagata early, but when Nagata was able to take it to the ground, Fale was in serious trouble. The near falls for Nagata were believable and I hope more is made of that ending with Fale. I'd like to see more progress with his character beyond being the 'big guy' of the Bullet Club.

Togi Makabe vs YOSHI-HASHI - Not sure if anyone agrees with my observation, but they feel like discount versions of superior wrestlers. There's better machismo workers (Goto, Ishii, Suzuki etc.) and YOSHI-HASHI has always been a middle of the road performer, I just think he caught people off-guard last year where he was clearly giving his all. As filler it's fine because it gives you depth on the roster and allows the show to build organically, but that was all I could think about as I watched this match. Regardless, Makabe's brawn beat YOSHI-HASHI's style and I liked the planned finish. I wish the execution looked better, HASHI really protected himself on those ring posts but the release German followed by the knee stomp was the right note to go out on.

Zack Sabre Jr vs Tomohiro Ishii
    - Ishii goes down like a boss, getting tied up like a pretzel by one of the best mat-workers in the world. This was Sabre Jr's match and I'm glad he got to stand out in this tournament with two big wins because it brings more fresh blood into the fold. Sabre Jr really offers a lot to the New Japan roster and I thought he and Ishii put on a good match. Clearly they were building off from the US Tournament show, so now that it's 1-1, it'll be good to see a rubber match between the two performers.

Kota Ibushi vs. Hirooki Goto - A damn fine brawler vs high-flier bout. Didn't over-stay it's welcome or try to re-invent the wheel, just a match with a couple of impressive spots where both guys laid their stuff in and made the other guy look like a million bucks. Finish was sort of an anti-climax but that just seems to be Goto's deal and I almost feel like he's something of a defacto heel.

Tetsuya Naito vs Hiorshi Tanahashi - Another great chapter in their illustrious rivalry. Similar structure to previous matches where Tanahashi doesn't have time for Naito's antics, both guys pick a limb and work it over before they exchange a bunch of near-falls. Despite losing the championshop to Tanahashi, it appears Naito has ascended Tanahashi and is only one win away from headlining the biggest show of 2018.

Day 18

Michael Elgin vs Juice Robinson
    - A nice babyface victory for Jumpin' Juice Robinson and another milestone in his run in New Japan. What I like about Robinson is his attention to detail, that Unprettier was one of the best finishes of the two shows I watched because of how well it was executed. If he can keep that type of momentum going, he'd make a decent US Champion.

SANADA vs Tama Tonga - It's two guys from two heel factions, so they just have fun with it before it ends up becoming a fun back and forth match. It's completely fine on the card, but I just get the sense that both guys are stuck in a rut as singles and will just return to their respective tag divisions.

Toru Yano vs Minoru Suzuki - What an amazing piece of entertainment this was. Two polar opposites going toe to toe with Suzuki beating the ever loving shit out of Yano. Yet despite the abuse, Yano stays true to himself and picks up a victory that you would expect from one of the best showmen in Pro Wrestling. I feel like this is my 'football in the groin' pick, but if there's one G-1 match I'd be willing to rewatch over and over again, it'd be this. I'm just a huge fan of the drama and both guys just nailed it. I especially loved the post-match stuff with Suzuki beating up all the young boys around ring-side, beautiful stuff.

EVIL vs Satoshi Kojima - EVIL continues his dominance, scoring one over the fiery red-bull. I'm excited to see where EVIL goes after this tournament, he's just gone from strength to strength ever since his debut in 2015 and you could make the argument he's been the most consistent member of the roster. I just wonder if we'll ever see an EVIL vs Naito program ever? And if so, will EVIL turn babyface and have to change his name to something else? Like Ishii, Ibushi & Suzuki, EVIL is just one of those guys I enjoy watching so it's great that he's being pushed.

Kenny Omega vs Kazuchika Okada - Wow, what a babyface performance from Okada. So okay, one of my biggest complaints of Okada is that he's like a robot. He isn't really sympathetic at all and I usually tune out of his matches in a similar vain as Randy Orton. But here, he sold the neck like a champion, took some sick bumps and timed his comeback to perfection and I thought both guys told a great story. Of course there was the finisher flurry where they always take things one step further than what they should, but it ended on the right note and it managed to live up to this insane legacy of the previous two matches. Omega finally gets his man in the end, proving that the OWA can be Okada's downfall during this insane peak Okada is experiencing right now. Of course next time, Omega won't have the advantage he had going to this match. We all know Okada has insane recovery and will be even stronger the next time they do clash.

vCash
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Okada vs Omega delivered once again. While at sub 30 minutes it was never going to match their previous two matches
    Having not seen it yet, I expect to like this more than the others purely because the first two matches were the worse for how long they were.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a main event. Absolutely, orgasmic

And the right man won. Bring on WK12

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shibata's surprise visit was incredible. Monster crowd reaction, as he deserves. All he said was "I'm alive." Doubt he will wrestle again, but it was great to see him in the ring.

I would have been happy with either man winning, but this outcome does give the fresher WK main event. Also Naito benefitted from the win more. Omega has been given everything but the top title, he doesn't really need another G1 win at this point, as historic as it would have been.

Looks like we have EVIL vs Okada, Elgin vs Suzuki, and ZSJ vs Tanahashi as our next title matches. All of them got some heated build on the finals show. In particular ZSJ submitted Tanahashi for a second time in their tag team match.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best spot of Naito/Omega was after faking Omega out once, Naito just drills Omega with a massive tope knocking him onto the table. I thought they were on their way to a classic when they did the piledriver from the table to the floor but then Omega barely used it through out the rest of the match and we had ourselves a typical 'NJPW epic'. It's fine, it's a guaranteed **** for the flakers out there but when a reverse hurricarana off the top rope following a avalanche hurricarana isn't the finish I'm beyond caring. It just becomes contrived WWE drivel where you've got to win with your finish, or else.

Omega really isn't the HBK of 2017, but in the worst ways. Some of those 'bumps' were damn near Hogan/HBK SummerSlam 05 levels of over-acting. Of all three main events, I thought Naito/Omega was easily the weakest.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You know, I've been underwhelmed by a fair few NJPW matches recently, and I wasn't sure why until reading that post. You hit the nail on the head. Most of the top talent have been booked in such a way that only their finisher can win the match and nothing else. It's a problem I had with WWE main events for a long time and it's seeping into Japan. There's little drama for near falls anymore. Naito and Omega killed each other with reverse frankensteiners and other crazy head drops, but I wasn't popping on the pinfalls because I knew they'd kick out. What got me going in that match were moments like Naito going for his old finisher, the Stardust Press, for the first time in forever, and the "oh my god will he hit the One Winged Angel!?" moments. I guess the wrestlers are working differently in that near falls no longer provide the biggest mark out moments, but the reversals, flashy moves and finisher teases. At least that's the perspective from someone who watches an unhealthy amount of New Japan. The fans in the arena were going crazy for all the near falls, so clearly it doesn't affect them.

Come to think of it, it's constantly escalating. A year ago Okada hits a single Rainmaker and it's the end of the match, no questions asked. Now against almost any opponent he often hits two or three in a row and doesn't even go for the cover. Naito never beats a top guy with a single Destino anymore. They are treading the same path as 90s AJPW where it takes more and more to a win a match, longer matches with more crazy bumps and more head spiking.

Zack Sabre Jr. is refreshing to watch, not just because of his vastly different style, but because he doesn't have a finisher. He can tap anybody out with any one of his holds. I wouldn't be surprised if all his wins in the G1 came from different moves.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He should have thrown the trophy out of the ring!
    Last edited by Hollywood Nova; 08-14-2017 at 02:25 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omega vs Okada takes my MOTY for now. Great match, and the shorter time made it far better. Still need to see the finals and ZSJ's stuff from this but man, Kenny and Okada keep impressing me. If they are not in WWE next year someone is making a huge mistake. Stone Cold thinks Omega can be the next Rock or Austin and Okada is proving time and time he is one of the best right now and keeps improving. Not having these guys at their peak is basically WWE throwing away money. That german on the apron after teasing Okada being hurt was sick. And holy rock bottom from hell. Such a good match though.

Naito is really growing on me. His entrance with Hiromu in his first post Daryl appearance was so great. I hope he takes the belt. Also hope he rips off Fale's head. #VengenceforDaryl

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nova View Post
    He should have thrown the trophy out of the ring!
    Not very tranquilo.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is Bryan Alvarez's issue with NJPW? Alvarez said the Kenny KO'ed EVIL out with the second to last v-trigger and did a second v-trigger and the One Winged Angel while EVIL was unconscious. Cyrus said that EVIL said he was never knocked out and selling. Alvarez says as a former worker the ref should have stopped the match, that EVIL did not kick out and Omega knew EVIL was unconscious and decided to the second v-trigger and the One Winged Angel anyway. But EVIL kicked out and both guys claim he was selling. But he is basically starting a witch hunt for no fucking reason. Then he goes on to say EVIL had a concussion and this could have been a second impact. I mean this is like fucking crazy. He basically is saying that doctor would not have been able to tell if EVIL was concussed.

Here is the rant I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyxGkmpT3Q8

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If not Omega, give it back to Naito. Never should've lost it in the first place.

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think it could be an amazing debate on which match of G1 was the best.

Personally, I say the finals. Loved the psychology to it. Everything just flowed and they pulled off some incredible spots.

Thread Information