Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ways to Improve PW Events?

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Love this game but there's way too much down time ...

The Coliseum events are really cool but would love to see them more often.

I know there's probably quite a lot of work to do in regards to organizing these things but perhaps the responsibility could be divided up? I'd definitely volunteer to help out. I'm sure others would.

I feel like we got a good thing going right now. We got Blindy Vs. LS, with the anonymous GM. Oncalls got the briefcase, I think The Main Event made himself a star in that last event, and Chaos Kid has that box ...

Come on, man! What's in the Box? Awwwwwwww ... what's in the box?

But I'm not looking forward to looking forward to Summerslam. So many weeks away ... so many weeks ...

I'm a Peacock, you know? You gotta let me fly!

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Love this game but there's way too much down time ...

Last year we had a tournanent between Mania and Summerslam so you might not have to wait till August. But since things aren't lining up with the real ones timewise (late starts and spilling over into the next month) we may not have a KOTR event.

I like that it is just the big 4 (or 5). Monthly events may be too much. We used to do just Mania and two tournaments (tag and king) so it is more than before but not overdoing it. Don't want it to get to where we're doing shit like Roadblock.

Of course if more posters got on board (and less people dropping out) I could see demand for more events. As it stands I think we have a good number show wise.

That said stop calling this a game. This is not some fun "thing" we do. This is a war and I will not allow it to be compared to Connect Four!
    Last edited by Ness; 05-19-2017 at 06:51 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    Last year we had a tournanent between Mania and Summerslam so you might not have to wait till August. But since things aren't lining up with the real ones timewise (late starts and spilling over into the next month) we may not have a KOTR event.

I like that it is just the big 4 (or 5). Monthly events may be too much. We used to do just Mania and two tournaments (tag and king) so it is more than before but not overdoing it. Don't want it to get to where we're doing shit like Roadblock.

Of course if more posters got on board (and less people dropping out) I could see demand for more events. As it stands I think we have a good number show wise.

That said stop calling this a game. This is not some fun "thing" we do. This is a war and I will not allow it to be compared to Connect Four!
    Not this again. Another "casual" who doesn't take connect four seriously.

Connect Four is the closest to God you will ever get ... seomtimes he comes in diagonally ...

But on the subject of recruitment and and getting people to stay interested. Do we not have many people because we have no momentum? Seems like it may be the case.

Also, is there a standard recruiting tactic? I'd be super happy to help out.

I think this should be monthly. It makes sense from a logistics stand point. 1 or 2 weeks inside the promo thread, 1 or 2 weeks or even less in the actual match threads. I think that has a nice pace to it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with doing it monthly is people get burned out and doing promos starts to feel like a chore. If anything I'd like to shorten the length of the events, but at the same time I always want to be sure to give everyone a chance to promo.

With that said, I do have something new planned during the summer to help freshen the interest up. I think everyone will like it. It'll be before SummerSlam but like last year's Gold Rush, it will once again have big SummerSlam implications.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Smith View Post
    Not this again. Another "casual" who doesn't take connect four seriously.

Connect Four is the closest to God you will ever get ... seomtimes he comes in diagonally ...
    I may break from my Cabinet position by PW WM 14 and challenge you to a match in Connect Four. We'll do it live in front of dozens of PW's faithful. It's on Dog. MANSPREADING/mWo will never be over.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may break from my Cabinet position by PW WM 14 and challenge you to a match in Connect Four. We'll do it live in front of dozens of PW's faithful. It's on Dog. MANSPREADING/mWo will never be over.
    It's not a rivalry if it's all one sided. I vaguely remember me and the mWo guys beating your team but after that it was jet planes, long limousines, jet planes, long limousines, jet planes, long limousines, long-long limousines, long-long limousines ...

I do think Dog Vs. Ness is a feud that will be remembered. We has some killer bra and pantie matches, credit where credit its due ...

And I don't think THAT will ever end. I'm pretty sure you're the annoyimous GM giving Blindy this hard time ...

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ways to Improve PW Events?

I was wondering if some PW vets or newcomers have any ideas regarding improving our PW Events?

One thing I tried to do a couple of times, but it didn't work out because of schedule conflicts ...

Was to try to get online at the same time as my opponent or partner.

In this way we could have real time conversations and hopefully that would be picked up on by other players. I think the two ideas I had was to do a staged altercation with an opponent where we'd end up getting into a fight and providing real life time information.

For example, "Stopping pulling my hiar!" "Wait, wait, I gotta pick up my cell phone," ect.

I also tried to do a press conference that didn't work out that well, where the idea was to field live questions after promotion exactly when I'd be online. Similiar to a reddit "ask me anything."

I haven't had success yet but I'd like to see this used at the next event. I think there's a lot of potential for some fun interactions there.

So I open this up to you guys. Any thoughts about this idea?

And more importantly, any ideas of your own?

vCash
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ways to Improve PW Events?

I feel as a newcomers, thats it depends on the certain match up, you get some pairs thats have chemistry and trash talk each other there for build up some natural heat for the match which makes its more interesting, and then there are other that rely of past performance to get by in PW. Also I dont get why some people have so many matches on the same card logically it doesn't make sense unless its a one night tournament or something or they hold more than one title. I didn't even have a match on the last card so it feels like my promo work was basically for nothing.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Kid View Post
    I feel as a newcomers, thats it depends on the certain match up, you get some pairs thats have chemistry and trash talk each other there for build up some natural heat for the match which makes its more interesting, and then there are other that rely of past performance to get by in PW. Also I dont get why some people have so many matches on the same card logically it doesn't make sense unless its a one night tournament or something or they hold more than one title. I didn't even have a match on the last card so it feels like my promo work was basically for nothing.
    Yeah, that's a good point.

Especially in situations where someone didn't even participate at all in the first match and then got a second.

Something that this reminds me of is that I think we have TOO MANY people booked.

I know that seems crazy when you consider there are only about 8 or 9 people that actually do anything. However, I'd rather be honest about how small we are and give those 8 or 9 more of a game.

I'm like this in real wrestling too. I'd rather see a smaller company that's honest about being small than a bigger company that tries to be even bigger (TNA, ROH.). Haha.

vCash
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less Mad Dog Smith and Chaos Kid.

vCash
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UT View Post
    Less Mad Dog Smith and Chaos Kid.
    feel the love, or just recognize the lack of passion from our favourite dimwit

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

feel the love, or just recognize the lack of passion from our favourite dimwit
    You didn't feed the troll did you?

Ah, shit, you fed the troll.

I also think we have too many belts. It kind of makes for a situation where the roster is divided. Along the lines of WWE or TNA.

I think recently AJ Styles and Kevin Steen fought for a US title? And the main event was like, Randy Orton and Jinder Mahal?

I think that says it all about mid card titles. Should be used sparingly if at all ...

vCash
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

off course I fed the troll, there isn't much fun swinging a chair at a dead troll?

vCash
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Troll and dimwit? You guys asked the question and clearly couldn't handle the obvious answer.

The problem with the competitions has never been the quantity , what made it great was the QUALITY and the and vision of LS and even those before him to make it fun and special. I'm going to go ahead and say that the quality has largely dropped though and that turns a lot of people off from participating and competing - I generally won't even click on a thread and certainly not participate in one that you two are a part of because I can't stand the "banter" or supposed commentary , it's a major turn off. I'm not even saying this just to be mean , judging by peoples reactions to my original post in this thread I'm clearly not the only person who has this opinion.

And if you can't handle my or anyone's opinion as to what really is dragging down The Coliseum than don't make the god damn thread to begin with , unless of course you just made this thread for another oppurtunity to partake in a 2 man circle jerk.

vCash
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UT View Post
    Troll and dimwit? You guys asked the question and clearly couldn't handle the obvious answer.

The problem with the competitions has never been the quantity , what made it great was the QUALITY and the and vision of LS and even those before him to make it fun and special. I'm going to go ahead and say that the quality has largely dropped though and that turns a lot of people off from participating and competing - I generally won't even click on a thread and certainly not participate in one that you two are a part of because I can't stand the "banter" or supposed commentary , it's a major turn off. I'm not even saying this just to be mean , judging by peoples reactions to my original post in this thread I'm clearly not the only person who has this opinion.

And if you can't handle my or anyone's opinion as to what really is dragging down The Coliseum than don't make the god damn thread to begin with , unless of course you just made this thread for another oppurtunity to partake in a 2 man circle jerk.
    To be honest I've heard nothing from anyone else about the really rough commentary between Mad Dog and myself, so people of PW tell us what you think of the occasionally commentary of the dog and the Kid, do you love, hate or just doesn't bother you?

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest I've heard nothing from anyone else about the really rough commentary between Mad Dog and myself, so people of PW tell us what you think of the occasionally commentary of the dog and the Kid, do you love, hate or just doesn't bother you?
    I'd actually like to see more people do commentary. There's some cool personalities out there.

I'd like to see Dazz on it, doing one of his characters. I'm really big on TME after the last event. Maybe he could do a punch drunk booker T esque routine.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the thing.

Mad Dog and Chaos, you know I agreed with you on certain aspects in the last big argument about these events and it's excellent that you're both so excited about them. Problem is though that they're time consuming and a lot of the people that participate just don't have the time for something monthly or even bi-monthly. Not to mention it'd get draining for a good 90% of participants, then their enthusiasm would ebb and the events that do well now, would suffer as a result.

I'd rather have 4-5 good events a year instead of 12 mediocre ones.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

Madness takes it's toll. EasyRider's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be honest with you guys about PW events, they're a thing that started several years ago, they were wildly popular for awhile, they ran their course and disappeared for a couple of years. Then they made a return and while a few folks have a lot of fun with them, for most of PW they remain played out. I'm all for them, I still have fun participating a couple of times a year, but much more than that just becomes a tiresome repeat of the same old thing.

However, how to improve them falls to one simple thing and one thing alone, you have to have more participants. The average main event match is now lucky to see 20 people voting, we had main events at one time that reached 200 that represented every forum on PW. It will be tough to ever get that back, but here are some ideas.

You'll have to get some of the longtime PW vets to be involved in a match, or two, per year. Why? Because those names will prompt other vets to at least get involved by voting.

You need some real longtime rivals, or teams from rival forums to face each other. The Sports Jocks vs The Nerds was a classic showdown that got people playing along that never did before. The nWoPW vs The nFo had some real heat that became the stuff of legend. You've got to have reasons for a match, not just "I want to be the champion" matchups, because those just don't excite people.

We used to go all-in, we had team banners and avs. There were stipulations that spiced things up with things like having to wear a goofy banner, or having your username changed if you lost. Hell, my partner, Johnny Canuck and I lost a bitch bet with Foos and his partner and I had to change mine to Ol' Pervy for like 3 months. In the end it became a running joke that still shows up from time to time.

Some things just have to be a wildcard. Not all that often, but on occasion someone would invoke "Canadian Rules" and when that happened everything went out the window for that match and insanity ensued.

It'll be tough, but as I mentioned you have to get people involved, because matches with 11 total votes isn't going to do it. In closing, I'll help in any way you guys need, just let me know what you need.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    Here's the thing.

Mad Dog and Chaos, you know I agreed with you on certain aspects in the last big argument about these events and it's excellent that you're both so excited about them. Problem is though that they're time consuming and a lot of the people that participate just don't have the time for something monthly or even bi-monthly. Not to mention it'd get draining for a good 90% of participants, then their enthusiasm would ebb and the events that do well now, would suffer as a result.

I'd rather have 4-5 good events a year instead of 12 mediocre ones.
    I did mention in another thread that I would prefer to go monthly.

But I see your point. And I don't mind having the PW events for that audiance.

I'd just like to see something emerge monthly. I don't think it's an either or thing. I think we could do both.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    I'll be honest with you guys about PW events, they're a thing that started several years ago, they were wildly popular for awhile, they ran their course and disappeared for a couple of years. Then they made a return and while a few folks have a lot of fun with them, for most of PW they remain played out. I'm all for them, I still have fun participating a couple of times a year, but much more than that just becomes a tiresome repeat of the same old thing.

However, how to improve them falls to one simple thing and one thing alone, you have to have more participants. The average main event match is now lucky to see 20 people voting, we had main events at one time that reached 200 that represented every forum on PW. It will be tough to ever get that back, but here are some ideas.

You'll have to get some of the longtime PW vets to be involved in a match, or two, per year. Why? Because those names will prompt other vets to at least get involved by voting.

You need some real longtime rivals, or teams from rival forums to face each other. The Sports Jocks vs The Nerds was a classic showdown that got people playing along that never did before. The nWoPW vs The nFo had some real heat that became the stuff of legend. You've got to have reasons for a match, not just "I want to be the champion" matchups, because those just don't excite people.

We used to go all-in, we had team banners and avs. There were stipulations that spiced things up with things like having to wear a goofy banner, or having your username changed if you lost. Hell, my partner, Johnny Canuck and I lost a bitch bet with Foos and his partner and I had to change mine to Ol' Pervy for like 3 months. In the end it became a running joke that still shows up from time to time.

Some things just have to be a wildcard. Not all that often, but on occasion someone would invoke "Canadian Rules" and when that happened everything went out the window for that match and insanity ensued.

It'll be tough, but as I mentioned you have to get people involved, because matches with 11 total votes isn't going to do it. In closing, I'll help in any way you guys need, just let me know what you need.
    Yeah, that's a very good point. Both of them.

BUT ESPECIALLY PARTICIPATION.

I would like to see something set up for re3cruitment. Personally? I wouldn't mind posting in every new member introduction thread. Something like, "hey, pal, welcome to the forum. Have you heard of efed/promo battles/roleplaying promotions? Here's how they work, we'd love to have you."

Besides that I'd have, and I'm sure everyone on PW would have, a lot of posters they like interacting with. I know some guys from the wide world of wrestling forum that I'd love to have in the game.

I could totally start recruiting on behalf of the competition, or as Ness says, on behalf of "Life as we know it".

Just one more note ... I would like to see an alternate monthly competition even for the sake of recruitment. If somebody were to sign up right this minute, what would I tell that person? "Here's a real cool game, but just wait a few months."

Doesn't have the same impact.

But yeah, recruitment is everything. Vets, new members, everywhere in between.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My last match had WAY more than 11 votes. Like 14!

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, while I'm here?

Characters, People! Characters!

We could do a lot worse than to have someone take up the alter ego of an evil foreign guy, or the Ultimate Warrior, or hell ...

I'd love to see Koko Watchout and the Trash Yard Mutt make an appearance.

Just ... anything! Go nuts! Knock 'em around, no wrong answers!

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My last match had WAY more than 11 votes. Like 14!
    We should keep a record. That sounds like some fun ass records.

BTW, EZ says 200 people used to vote? Jesus!

I'd be happy to get more twenty somethings ...

vCash
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Smith View Post
    We should keep a record. That sounds like some fun ass records.

BTW, EZ says 200 people used to vote? Jesus!

I'd be happy to get more twenty somethings ...
    as long as those 200 ppl actually read the promos I would be happy instead of voting for the person

Madness takes it's toll. EasyRider's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, they read the promos, people got really involved in things, then. The match threads and the reactions and responses in them by the voters was some of the best stuff of the whole event.

Monthly basis? Sorry, MD, but you'll have to convince me how you'll get more participation when you'll be asking people to do even more. Unless what you're getting at with that and your "characters" thing is an e-fed. If so, I doubt you'll find more than a handful who still do those, we haven't allowed them here for years.

Get people involved, generate some rivalries, make stipulations. I'd follow a well done Mad Dog versus Ness match way more than I would a Captain Insano versus The Canucklehead fanfic.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    Oh, they read the promos, people got really involved in things, then. The match threads and the reactions and responses in them by the voters was some of the best stuff of the whole event.

Monthly basis? Sorry, MD, but you'll have to convince me how you'll get more participation when you'll be asking people to do even more. Unless what you're getting at with that and your "characters" thing is an e-fed. If so, I doubt you'll find more than a handful who still do those, we haven't allowed them here for years.

Get people involved, generate some rivalries, make stipulations. I'd follow a well done Mad Dog versus Ness match way more than I would a Captain Insano versus The Canucklehead fanfic.
    What's the difference between what we're doing an efed? This is actually pretty new to me. PW is my only experiance with it.

But participation, I believe would be benefited by a monthly promotion. It's not work it's play. You figure, what? One, maybe two promos in a promo thread, a pre-match promo? Coming up with a finish for your match, should you win? That's Four posts per month, minimum. And events could probably be wrapped up within a week from the first to last match.

Look where we are right now. The Main Event is all beat up, having competed in multiple matches he never should have been medically cleared for ...

BLindy and Ness are still raging against the machine ...

I'd have to think these guys are chopping at the bits to get back in there.

Though I could understand not wanting to do anything drastic. Change can often be NOT for the better. But a little experimentation never hurt anyone. I'd argue, and I coudl be wrong, that monthly events would improve participation.

I'd be willing to try. There's no need to touch the proven commodity. No need to touch our PW events.

But ... a little new thing, nothing special, just a little side project. What can it hurt?

I'm thinking first event? Six people easy. One year from that? We'd at least double participation. One year from that, triple.

And I'm being conservative.

If participation is the key metric, along with recruiting vets, I'm confident.

Thread Information