Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Rick 'The Model' Martel

  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    29
    vCash
    500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Was just wondering what other people may have thought about the man known as The Model back in the days of the WWF? Martel to me was a great character and wrestler and very under rated during his time in the WWF. I'm not sure why he is not in the Hall of fame by now especially when you get the likes of DDP, Koko B Ware and Beth Phoenix in there already. I am not giving disrespect to them what so ever but Rick Martel should be in before they were even considered for an induction.
    Surely he will be inducted next year as he is probably one of the best Superstars not to be in there right now.

    One of my favourite angles back in the days was the Martel and Jake Roberts story with Jake getting blinded by Martels arrogance spray he used to carry around with him leading to the blindfold match at Wrestlemania 7. I know nowadays the angle is silly but for a kid at the age of 9 which is what I was back then it was brilliant and still something I remember to this day.

    His promos and way he portrayed the model character was great and you only have to look at the things that he achieved in his career to realise he was a great wrestler. I always thought that he would have been a great long term Intercontinental Champion and don't understand why the WWF never gave him a run with the strap.

    I was gutted when he went to WCW and although he was not used much for the company he did have a great series of matches with Booker T.

    The Model gimmick though was my favourate of all time and reckon he would be great doing something in NXT with the young guys training them in how to make a character successful like he did with his. Interviews on YouTube with Martel state that he hated it when the idea was pitched to him by Vince Mcmahon but he worked and worked with it to get it over.

    Anyway like i said I just wanted to know what you guys and girls thought about Rick 'The Model' Martel?

  2. #2
    ≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,221
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    I don't know about a long-term reign, but I feel like Model definitely deserved to hold the IC title at some point. This may be blasphemy in the Bakery, but in revisionist history, I'd give the Mountie's run in early '92 to Model instead (including still dropping to Piper). Replace the shock stick shenanigans with Arrogance shenanigans for same effect even. Would've made Model have a modicum of legitimacy when facing off against Razor later in '93.

  3. #3
    Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Western Illinois
    Age
    28
    Posts
    7,471
    vCash
    1920
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Great mid-card talent. I never pictured him being WWE champ, but I-C was fitting for Ric. A really talented wrestler that could play an arrogant heel well and put on a good match. I'd be fine with him getting a HOF nod.

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    England
    Posts
    593
    vCash
    1430
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    I thought Rick Martel was a really good character, and his feud with Jake Roberts was amazing but it was ruined within second in the blindfold match , when he put his hand inside the mask and surprise surprise you could see his fingers though the mask, ruining the whole set up for the match

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mad Dog Smith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,472
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    My first wrestling memory that I can remember was watching Strike Force against somebody on one of those early morning/afternoon wwf shows they used to have.

    I connected with those guys. Two young, good looking dudes in white tights ... I wanted to be those guys.

    When Rick turned asshole that was my first "Fuck you moment" in wrestling. Where I actually said to somebody, "Oh, okay. You're dead to me now. Fuck you, Martel!"

    Subsequent uses of heel turns jaded me. For me at that point in my life, it was powerful it hurt.

    That's how I remember Martel.

    Also, Boston Crab, motherfuckers!

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,279
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    I was a Model fan and would have no problem with him making the WWE Hall of Fame. Also think he could have been a solid IC champ. Now that PI mentions it, he probably would have made more sense as IC champ than my man The Mountie.

    Haven't seen much of his pre-WWF career. The idea of Martel as the champ of a major organization (AWA) always struck me as weird given his lifelong WWF midcard status and lack of any real World Champion-type intangibles but people tell me he did well enough in that role.

    Didn't care much for the Can Ams and hated Strike Force. As a young heel fan, blowjob babyface teams were definitely not my thing. And Strike Force got on my shit list when they beat my boys the Hart Foundation for the belt.

    Martel turning on Tito is one of the more memorable heel turns of my youth and being a heel fan I naturally I took to "The Model" right away. He would remain a solid second tier favorite for the next few years.

    The Jake feud is easily the highlight of his WWF career. The Blindfold Match (and heel vs. heel Michaels match from Summerslam '92) was quality sports entertainment.

    Liked the Razor IC title match but thought it was a little weird that Model, who had been out of action for a pretty long time, was randomly in such a high profile position.

    Didn't see his WCW run but again thought it weird when reading about Martel, who had been out of action for four years this time, was randomly winning the TV title as a face (he'll always be The Model to me) one of his first match back. Wrestling had changed A LOT in the four years Martel was away. He seemed like a relic from a bygone era.

    Props to Mad Dog for mentioning Martel's Boston Crab. Naturally as young wrestling fans, my friend and I wrestled. And we soon learned most of the submission holds didn't actually hurt. But you better believe the Boston Crab did! Extremely painful maneuver! The Boston Crab had a ton of credibility in my 'hood for that reason.

    I also used to run spraying people with a Windex-style bottle filled with water as my "Arrogance." I was a real dick about it too. I would randomly spray people whenever the opportunity arose. Got in trouble for it more than once

  7. #7
    Senior Member MV's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,058
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Martel did a great job w/ that gimmick in making it work.

    Quote Originally Posted by PI
    I don't know about a long-term reign, but I feel like Model definitely deserved to hold the IC title at some point. This may be blasphemy in the Bakery, but in revisionist history, I'd give the Mountie's run in early '92 to Model instead (including still dropping to Piper). Replace the shock stick shenanigans with Arrogance shenanigans for same effect even. Would've made Model have a modicum of legitimacy when facing off against Razor later in '93.
    I like that. A Ramon-Martel feud could've been good too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah
    Great mid-card talent. I never pictured him being WWE champ, but I-C was fitting for Ric. A really talented wrestler that could play an arrogant heel well and put on a good match. I'd be fine with him getting a HOF nod.
    Reportedly there were plans to induct The Model a few yrs ago but he turned it down. Interestingly, somebody nominated him for the HOF on my site.

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    161
    vCash
    1500
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    My childhood mostly was seeing Rick Martel lose to Tatanka. It was annoying. I didn't understand how a feud could continue to happen when Martel literally never won.

  9. #9
    Senior Member bizil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,203
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    When it came to Martel being AWA World Champ, he was actually a very good fit given what Verne wanted in a world champ. I'm sure Verne wanted a young, good looking, great technician babyface to be world champ for a long reign. That's the template Verne represented in his young peak days. So looking at AWA's roster at that time, Martel was the best choice on that roster. But IN GENERAL, I think Steamboat would have been the best choice for that template. Steamboat also had the ripped new age physique and awesome martial arts stuff on top of it.

    Or Barry Windham would have been awesome in that spot too. But as of 1984, Martel was still one of the best fits given what Verne was looking for. In terms of look and in ring ability, Martel had a great package to bring to the table. His main shortcoming was of course his mic skills. Steamboat and Windham weren't worldbeaters on the mic either, but they were better than Martel.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mad Dog Smith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,472
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    I was a Model fan and would have no problem with him making the WWE Hall of Fame. Also think he could have been a solid IC champ. Now that PI mentions it, he probably would have made more sense as IC champ than my man The Mountie.

    Haven't seen much of his pre-WWF career. The idea of Martel as the champ of a major organization (AWA) always struck me as weird given his lifelong WWF midcard status and lack of any real World Champion-type intangibles but people tell me he did well enough in that role.

    Didn't care much for the Can Ams and hated Strike Force. As a young heel fan, blowjob babyface teams were definitely not my thing. And Strike Force got on my shit list when they beat my boys the Hart Foundation for the belt.

    Martel turning on Tito is one of the more memorable heel turns of my youth and being a heel fan I naturally I took to "The Model" right away. He would remain a solid second tier favorite for the next few years.

    The Jake feud is easily the highlight of his WWF career. The Blindfold Match (and heel vs. heel Michaels match from Summerslam '92) was quality sports entertainment.

    Liked the Razor IC title match but thought it was a little weird that Model, who had been out of action for a pretty long time, was randomly in such a high profile position.

    Didn't see his WCW run but again thought it weird when reading about Martel, who had been out of action for four years this time, was randomly winning the TV title as a face (he'll always be The Model to me) one of his first match back. Wrestling had changed A LOT in the four years Martel was away. He seemed like a relic from a bygone era.

    Props to Mad Dog for mentioning Martel's Boston Crab. Naturally as young wrestling fans, my friend and I wrestled. And we soon learned most of the submission holds didn't actually hurt. But you better believe the Boston Crab did! Extremely painful maneuver! The Boston Crab had a ton of credibility in my 'hood for that reason.

    I also used to run spraying people with a Windex-style bottle filled with water as my "Arrogance." I was a real dick about it too. I would randomly spray people whenever the opportunity arose. Got in trouble for it more than once
    Yeah, man. All the street gangs in my nieghborhood used the Boston Crab.

    I also sprayed people with windex bottles full of water. But that's wasn't a wrestling thing, I was just being a dick.

    Pro Tip: Make sure you ... Really rinse out all that windex first.

  11. #11
    I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,957
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Add me to the spraying people with watered down arrogance list. I had like a plant spritzer, so no Windex involved, though. Savages.


  12. #12
    Senior Member Mad Dog Smith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,472
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    Add me to the spraying people with watered down arrogance list. I had like a plant spritzer, so no Windex involved, though. Savages.
    And I thought I was a fancyman ... I never even heard of a plant spritzer until this post.

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,279
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    Add me to the spraying people with watered down arrogance list. I had like a plant spritzer, so no Windex involved, though. Savages.
    It wasn't actual Windex. I doubt if it was even a Windex bottle. I did say a "Windex-style bottle." Should have just said a spray bottle to avoid confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Smith View Post
    Yeah, man. All the street gangs in my nieghborhood used the Boston Crab.
    The only other move as painful as the Boston Crab was the Camel Clutch. See, I was a total badass, Stone Cold-style baby, who refused to submit to any hold for years. Then this dude Adam put me in the Camel Clutch. Ouch. I wasn't so badass anymore. He had it on so tight I couldn't even say the words "I Quit" for the first time despite desperately wanting too. For a second there I thought my back was about to be broken. The Camel Clutch is savage.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Mad Dog Smith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,472
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    It wasn't actual Windex. I doubt if it was even a Windex bottle. I did say a "Windex-style bottle." Should have just said a spray bottle to avoid confusion



    The only other move as painful as the Boston Crab was the Camel Clutch. See, I was a total badass, Stone Cold-style baby, who refused to submit to any hold for years. Then this dude Adam put me in the Camel Clutch. Ouch. I wasn't so badass anymore. He had it on so tight I couldn't even say the words "I Quit" for the first time despite desperately wanting too. For a second there I thought my back was about to be broken. The Camel Clutch is savage.
    Well personally, I admire you for putting a new talent over.

    If only someone was as unselfish as you were when I wrestling my friends behind the Steel Warehouse where I grew up ...

    Damn you, Biff Superturd! You were the Hogan of our promotion!

  15. #15
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,279
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Smith View Post
    Well personally, I admire you for putting a new talent over.
    I didn't put him over by choice. I put him over to save my back. I didn't like putting anyone over. I had an ego the size of Hogan and I would get surly and shoot on people from time to time. So I was kind of like JBL too. And, much like Shawn Michaels, I also had the best matches to go along with having the worst attitude.

    So I was basically Hogan + JBL + Michaels. Beat that.
    Mid-late 90s Baker=best heel ever.

  16. #16
    I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,957
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    All those back moves hurt. Sharpshooter and the Texas Cloverleaf were excruciating too.


  17. #17
    Senior Member Mad Dog Smith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,472
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    I didn't put him over by choice. I put him over to save my back. I didn't like putting anyone over. I had an ego the size of Hogan and I would get surly and shoot on people from time to time. So I was kind of like JBL too. And, much like Shawn Michaels, I also had the best matches to go along with having the worst attitude.

    So I was basically Hogan + JBL + Michaels. Beat that.
    Mid-late 90s Baker=best heel ever.
    I was more like Michaels myself. In so far as I looked like a girl and took my clothes off a lot.

    Mid-Late Mad Dog=best confuser ever.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    All those back moves hurt. Sharpshooter and the Texas Cloverleaf were excruciating too.
    I always had a thing for the Single Leg Crab. Looks cool as ice but probably doesn't hurt as much, if at all.

  18. #18
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,279
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    All those back moves hurt. Sharpshooter and the Texas Cloverleaf were excruciating too.
    I've heard this from a lot of different people. I must have worked with amateurs who couldn't apply those holds properly. Which is weird considering Jack & Rick treated Bret Hart matches as sacred things to be worshiped and studied and watched over and over every weekend for like two years.

  19. #19
    I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,957
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    I've heard this from a lot of different people. I must have worked with amateurs who couldn't apply those holds properly. Which is weird considering Jack & Rick treated Bret Hart matches as sacred things to be worshiped and studied and watched over and over every weekend for like two years.
    There was a eureka moment with the Sharpshooter around my knuckleheaded group. When we were really small, we thought it was a leg lock, and you'd wrench back on the knee, which would probably hurt now, but not remotely on the elastic knees of a fellow child. Once one of us realized it was actually a fancy Boston Crab, and instead of wrenching back on the knee, simply lift them up and sit back, the person in the hold was fairly certain their spine was about to multiply.

    My wrestling style was human bump machine, jump from high places. A backyard wrestler without a backyard.


  20. #20
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,279
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    My wrestling style was human bump machine, jump from high places. A backyard wrestler without a backyard.
    We weren't as crazy as most 'backyarders' and spent most of our time wrestling in living rooms & bedrooms, and pools (the best!), though we did occasionally venture into the backyard for (inevitably shitty) matches. I probably took the biggest bumps but it's not like I was getting thrown off houses or anything (my brother was our first "Foley" jumping off our low deck roof into the pool not long after Mick's famous interview with JR). And of course taking even a simple flat back bump would likely incapacitate me for a week nowadays Taking Snow Plows through boxes was more my forte. (boxes, usually of the pizza variety, served our tables & chairs- though I did once let my cousin Jack hit me as hard as he could with a chair. Bent the chair but didn't hurt at all, believe it or not ) And now I am going to rate everybody in my league....

    Me- The best of the bunch. Don't even think I'm bragging or exaggerating. I was one of the bigger guys in our clique and pretty athletic. Plus even among a group of hardcore wrestling fanatics, I was the biggest fan. I cared about my matches and was willing to do just about anything so long as I won in the end. My only downside was a bit of a temper which occasionally made me difficult to work with if you were an uncooperative load *coughRickJackBryancough*. I had a tendency to shoot on those types. Yeah, I could be a jerk back then. But go along with me and I'd carry to the best match of your life.

    Brandon- Very good opponent. We were the same size and he was willing despite not being very athletic. We had epic slugfests and mastered 2.9 nearfalls before it was cool, though our matches would probably seem extremely masturbatory today. We also figured out you could throw 'Vader style' forearms (using the meat of your forearm) as hard as you wanted and it wouldn't really hurt. So our matches would have minute long Vader-style forearm exchanges. And we loved putting each other through boxes. Brandon had a tendency to break bones (though never in wrestling) but it never stopped him from trying to have the best match possible. 9/10

    Greg- My brother. Small and willing. Probably our best athlete. Excellent opponent. We worked out some awesome spots like him frankensteinering me and he'd take all my power stuff except the Pearl River Plunge (said it killed his arms). 9/10- only because things occasionally got heated as battles between brothers tend to do.

    Jack- My cousin. Young, small and timid. A terrible opponent. Has long claimed I Tiger Suplexed him on wood. A lie. I was incapable of executing a Tiger Suplex. It was a chokeslam. 2/10 because he was small enough to where I could execute most of my stuff against his will if I really wanted to.

    Joe "Baker"- The original Baker. A gimmick name. One of the all time great bullshit artists. 90% of what he said was a lie, including his fake last name. You knew it was a lie. He knew you knew it was a lie. But nobody cared much because his yarns were so damn amusing. Another good opponent. We were about the same size. He was pretty athletic and willing to take stuff. We had good matches. Only thing about "Baker" is he loved the Smokin' Gunns...or at least their Sidewinder finish. So if you were in a tag match with "Baker" there had to be a Sidewinder.....or six. 9/10

    Rick- Small, not very athletic, unwilling, and stiff as fuck. My best friend & USWA wrestling figure league co-booker (at least until he got sent away to military school and Jack took over) and I had zero chemistry. Hated working him. He also gave me the only real injury I ever had in a match. It was a tag match- Me & Rick vs. Chuck & Brandon. Chuck was on my back applying the sleeper. Rick came in to break the hold with an overly enthusiastic (as usual) high knee to Chuck's back. Chuck shoved me forward to break his own fall. My head hit the door. I legitimately saw stars like they do in Bugs Bunny cartoons. I was knocked loopy for a few seconds. Had a huge knot. Brandon eventually pinned me (my first defeat!) following 8 or 9 "Tatanka Slams" (as we called Samoan Drops) and a few (very safe) Pedigrees. I was PISSED. To this day I think it was a fast count by the ref (forget who) trying to "protect me." (I was selling marvelously/kinda sorta hurt for real) Fucking Rick. 1/10. (though my brother said Rick was one of his favorite opponents when we had this conversation last year. Maybe my best friend sandbagged me for whatever reason?) Rick was my worst opponent this side of....

    Bryan- Ugh. The worst. Biggest kid in our group. Also the laziest. Wouldn't let you do ANYTHING. Pretty sure every single match we had ended with me putting him in a shoot submission. 0/10.

    Chuck- Smallest opponent this side of Jack. But, unlike Jack, Chuck was athletic and very willing* to go along. Gets the nod over Brandon, Baker & Greg as my favorite opponent due to the fact that I could do pretty much any move I wanted to him (could even get him up for a 9/10ths Gorilla Press Slam). We had awesome power vs. speed matches. Best finish I ever had was against Chuck. He did a moonsault (ok, so like a 3/4ths moonsault, but still pretty impressive for a kid jumping off a couch) and landed right on my shoulder in perfect British Bulldog powerslam position. I didn't even try to catch him. He just randomly landed there. Of course I had no choice but to hit him with the mother of all British Bulldog powerslams for the win. Great opponent. 10/10.

    *My brother hated wrestling Chuck. Said he wouldn't let him do anything. But I had the opposite experience. Maybe because I was big & strong enough to do what I wanted whether he liked it or not so he just went along with me? I dunno. But I found him to be a great opponent.

    Casey aka: Worm- Along with Jack was the youngest in our group. But was also big for age. Didn't wrestle him very much. His thing was hitting his "Squiggly Worm" Frog Splash. He loved that damn thing. Once broke his parents bed hitting the Squiggly Worm on me from a desk. Bed had a big ol' crater in the center. N/A. One move wonder. I'm not even sure he had matches against anybody other than Jack (and I'm sure those were terrible). He'd just occasionally fly in with the Squiggly Worm frog splash.

    We had cardboard belts It was awesome.

    We also had entrance music from time to time and occasionally wrestled as WWF Superstars. This never really worked out too well because we'd all end up inevitably wrestling our usual matches. But I liked being Goldust & The Dean. Chuck was usually Michaels or The Kid. Greg was often Ahmed in a terrible fit since his natural style was a high flyer. Brandon was usually Diesel or Ahmed. OG "Baker" was a Smokin' Gunn. Jack & Rick liked to wrestle as Bret and Bryan as Razor. Also remember me, Rick & Jack occasionally trying to recreate classic matches like Flair/Funk or some of Bret's more memorable bouts but, again, this never really worked out.

    The most over move was the Flair Chop. Even wimps like Jack & Bryan would take Flair Chops. The Thesz Press was also huge. It first got over in an ironic 'so bad it's good' kind of way. Then it became legitimately over. It was not at all uncommon to be hit with a Flair Chop or Thesz Press out of the blue in non-wrestling match situations. I also loved taking the Double Russian Leg Sweep into a couch. Jack & Rick were big on this one. They would randomly swarm me to hit the Double Russian Leg Sweep. I was always obliging. Parents hated us

    Taking moves into the pool was awesome. I liked Razor's Edging people from the deck to the pool. Also liked taking splashes and the like while on a raft.
    Last edited by Baker; 05-20-2017 at 10:56 PM.

  21. #21
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    819
    vCash
    1200
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    It wasn't actual Windex. I doubt if it was even a Windex bottle. I did say a "Windex-style bottle." Should have just said a spray bottle to avoid confusion



    The only other move as painful as the Boston Crab was the Camel Clutch. See, I was a total badass, Stone Cold-style baby, who refused to submit to any hold for years. Then this dude Adam put me in the Camel Clutch. Ouch. I wasn't so badass anymore. He had it on so tight I couldn't even say the words "I Quit" for the first time despite desperately wanting too. For a second there I thought my back was about to be broken. The Camel Clutch is savage.
    Hey is that you Scott? Just kidding, I hope. Seriously, I actually won a fight (against this kid named Scott)using a camel clutch. The kid charged me with a punch and I ducked and hit him in the very low gut. He dropped to his knees and I hopped on his back and I "humbled" him. However, I didn't humble him the way the Iron Sheik likes to talk about when discussing the art of humbling.

  22. #22
    Eccentric enigma Soulblazed's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,837
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    I think that Martel should've been in the WWF during the mid 90s instead of in WCW as already stated..I never knew about the proposal for him to come back to the WWF in 1998, though..I'd have been all for that.....I liked Martel's heel character as a kid since he was good at getting heat and I liked a lot of heel wrestlers as a kid. If Martel were booked right I could definitely see him doing good in the Attitude Era, being pretty much a French Canadian Val Venis equivalent who could also be aligned with the Hart Foundation..In essence if that were the case, maybe Sean Moreley might've been given a different character upon being signed by the WWF or he could've still been given the Val Venis character but partnered with Martel(it wouldn't make sense but I wouldn't put it past Russo who was still in the WWF at the time).
    @Baker, here's a fan fic challenge for you-Book the 1st ever Triple Threat World Title match..Backlund vs Martel(AWA Champ) vs Flair (NWA Champ)

    The interview sadly cuts off before Flair can leave us with his thoughts



    Hahah...I never knew these commercials existed..Martel's funny as shit..

  23. #23
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,279
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Quote Originally Posted by Soulblazed View Post
    Hahah...I never knew these commercials existed..Martel's funny as shit..
    Nice find. My brother and I revisited these classics a year or two ago.

    Folks at PWO and places like that say Martel was wasted as The Model. I disagree. He was great in that role. The only waste would have been if us fans didn't get to experience the greatness of The Model.

    The accent gives him the perfect voice for a heel model gimmick. He had some good lines. Tennis one was my favorite. Pretty sure a few lines from the car-themed promo were recycled for a Val Venis vignette.

    A few years back I had a theory that French Canadian/Quebec wrestlers made the best heels. Rougeau Brothers/Dino Bravo/Model as Club Quebec is one of the best stables that never happened. Next PW draft I'm doing Club Quebec vs. Ultimate Horsemen (Flair/Perfect/DOUBLE TROUBLE) in a War Games in Charlotte. $$$

  24. #24
    ≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,221
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Wait, was that triple threat legit? Is the commonly held belief that the first 3-way ever occurred in the early 90s!? And it's champ vs. champ vs. champ, no less!?!?

  25. #25
    Eccentric enigma Soulblazed's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,837
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rick 'The Model' Martel

    Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Nice find. My brother and I revisited these classics a year or two ago.

    Folks at PWO and places like that say Martel was wasted as The Model. I disagree. He was great in that role. The only waste would have been if us fans didn't get to experience the greatness of The Model.

    The accent gives him the perfect voice for a heel model gimmick. He had some good lines. Tennis one was my favorite. Pretty sure a few lines from the car-themed promo were recycled for a Val Venis vignette.

    A few years back I had a theory that French Canadian/Quebec wrestlers made the best heels. Rougeau Brothers/Dino Bravo/Model as Club Quebec is one of the best stables that never happened. Next PW draft I'm doing Club Quebec vs. Ultimate Horsemen (Flair/Perfect/DOUBLE TROUBLE) in a War Games in Charlotte. $$$
    Yup...You basically stated what I think in that regard..Martel was tailor made for The Model gimmick. I think you're onto something with French Canadian wrestling heels....From the Rougeaus and Bravo to (honorable mention)Kevin Owens, I do see your point in French Canadian heels getting it done. That should be a damn good draft entry! Club Quebec..Give them a real vicious tag team finisher..I'm looking forward to that..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •