View Poll Results: Do I give my friend/boss that I'm going on an interview?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give him a heads up

    1 12.50%
  • No, don't say anything until you know you got the job

    7 87.50%
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

  1. #1
    Senior Member ant.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,648
    vCash
    2600
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

    I've been working at my current job as a sales rep for a small sign company for 4 years now. My boss (who I've mentioned in another threads) happens to be a good friend of mine. We became friends because we used to be co-workers at our previous job, and he hired me to work for this sign company that he was buying/taking over at the time. In the 4 years that I've worked there, we've become really close. There are only 4 employees aside from him, so it's kind of like we are a small family. He's getting married this summer and he even asked me to be in his wedding party.

    However, being that it's such a small business, I'm not sure how much room for growth there is. I definitely need to be making more money than I'm making now, and my job doesn't offer health insurance, 401k, etc. I went on an interview for an Underwriting Trainee position with a big insurance company back in January, but I ended up not getting the job. I was encouraged to apply again in the future though, because they seemed to really like me and just hired someone with experience in the industry instead. I think it was someone who was already working for them...

    Anyway, I recently applied for an Auto Claims Rep Trainee position for this same company. I did the phone interview, and then I had to take a 3-hour assessment test, which I passed. I now have a 3-hour in-person interview this coming Friday, and I'm fairly confident I'll get the job.

    The issue here is that I don't know if I should tell my friend/boss or not. He's always told me that he would understand if I had to leave and that I need to do what is best for me. He's very laid back/chill and understanding. He's been a phenomenal boss. Never gives me a hard time if I need a day off or if I come in late, doesn't breathe down my neck. He makes the job fun and we are close outside of work as well.

    I've always told him that if I were to leave, I would give him a heads up and not just walk in one day and give him a 2 weeks notice. I didn't tell him about my last interview because I wasn't sure if I would get/take the job, but I'm pretty sure that if I am offered this job, I'll take it. I just don't want to tell him, and then not get the job, and have it be awkward between us. However, I also don't want to catch him off guard and give him a 2 weeks notice if I do get the job. I feel like he deserves more of a heads up, especially since it's our busy season and he's getting married and going on his honeymoon this summer.

    Do I tell him I'm going on this interview, or do I keep quiet until I know for sure I have the job?

  2. #2
    #throwback mikec's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    @mikec31
    Age
    34
    Posts
    19,964
    vCash
    17097
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

    Normally I'd say no, that it isn't your employers business. But I also believe in being honest so if I told someone I would tell them if I were applying for jobs, I'd tell them so.

    So that leaves me with a few suggestions that I'd do - A) Tell him now that you've interviewed and don't know what will come of it but would take it, B) Tell the company you're interviewing with that you'll need more than two weeks time to start. I'd go with A, but I would've never promised an employer a heads up on a job search as two weeks is customary at an entry level position.

  3. #3
    Man with a Plan Ness's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,183
    vCash
    0
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

    This is probably why it's best to keep your worlds apart. If you guys weren't decent friends I doubt you'd care too much about letting them know what's up. Personally I'd avoid letting anyone know I'm interviewing and only bring it up once you have the job. If you don't get it, well, now he knows you're gonna jump ship and it may create awkwardness at work. I know he said he's okay with it, but they could change once it looks inevitable rather than hypothetical.

    Once you've secured the offer I'd sit down with him and let him know your plans. Give him a chance to match what the new place is offering you and if can't/won't, tell him you'll be taking it and 2 weeks, blah blah.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Mad Dog Smith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,519
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

    No. Get the job first.

    It's honest if you give him as much notice as you can once the job is yours. You're not betraying him.

    But even amongst friends hard feeling can be had that can complicated your life. People are betrayed by their friends and family all the time.

    I'm not saying your friend will fuck you over, make your life hard or fire you before you can get a new job ..

    But what I am saying is ... if you don't tell him? He can't. There's a difference between won't and cant'. I like the surety of can't.

    If he's a real friend your friendship will survive.

  5. #5
    Senior Member ant.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,648
    vCash
    2600
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Smith View Post
    No. Get the job first.

    It's honest if you give him as much notice as you can once the job is yours. You're not betraying him.

    But even amongst friends hard feeling can be had that can complicated your life. People are betrayed by their friends and family all the time.

    I'm not saying your friend will fuck you over, make your life hard or fire you before you can get a new job ..

    But what I am saying is ... if you don't tell him? He can't. There's a difference between won't and cant'. I like the surety of can't.

    If he's a real friend your friendship will survive.
    He is a real friend and he's told me in the past, that he understands that I need to do what is best for me. If I tell him, I don't see him getting angry or doing anything to spite me, or anything like that. He might be a little upset on the inside that I'm leaving, but I don't see him doing anything malicious toward me or abandoning me as a friend. The thing is, is his birthday is Tuesday and my interview is this coming Friday. I'll need the day off of work, because the interview is several hours long, so I was thinking of telling him tomorrow that I need the day off for a doctor's appointment, and then maybe telling him on Wednesday the real reason.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mad Dog Smith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,519
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

    Quote Originally Posted by ant. View Post
    He is a real friend and he's told me in the past, that he understands that I need to do what is best for me. If I tell him, I don't see him getting angry or doing anything to spite me, or anything like that. He might be a little upset on the inside that I'm leaving, but I don't see him doing anything malicious toward me or abandoning me as a friend. The thing is, is his birthday is Tuesday and my interview is this coming Friday. I'll need the day off of work, because the interview is several hours long, so I was thinking of telling him tomorrow that I need the day off for a doctor's appointment, and then maybe telling him on Wednesday the real reason.
    I see your predicament. I'd try to avoid a lie, no matter how small. But I guess it's okay.

    Perhaps you could take the day off for an unspecified private reason. Though I could see how that could lead to questions ...

  7. #7
    #throwback mikec's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    @mikec31
    Age
    34
    Posts
    19,964
    vCash
    17097
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

    Why would you lie on Monday to tell the truth on Wednesday? No, no, no.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ant.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,648
    vCash
    2600
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Why would you lie on Monday to tell the truth on Wednesday? No, no, no.
    Yeah, I kinda started to think that probably won't be the best route to go. I think I might just be upfront and tell him tomorrow.

  9. #9
    Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Western Illinois
    Age
    28
    Posts
    7,483
    vCash
    1920
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

    I've never worked for a friend/relative, but generally, I don't tell a company I'm working for that I'm leaving until I know I have another job. After I know though, I'll give a two weeks notice to leave on good terms. But really, it's easier for an employer to find a new worker than it is for you to find a new job.

  10. #10
    #throwback mikec's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    @mikec31
    Age
    34
    Posts
    19,964
    vCash
    17097
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    I've never worked for a friend/relative, but generally, I don't tell a company I'm working for that I'm leaving until I know I have another job. After I know though, I'll give a two weeks notice to leave on good terms. But really, it's easier for an employer to find a new worker than it is for you to find a new job.
    That depends on where you live. The unemployment rate in Iowa is so low that employers are having a hard time finding good employees. The workforce director here is starting to talk about how it's possible we're nearing full employment, where everyone that wants a job, has a job.

    This makes my position as someone that helps find people jobs a little more tenuous.

  11. #11
    Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Western Illinois
    Age
    28
    Posts
    7,483
    vCash
    1920
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    That depends on where you live. The unemployment rate in Iowa is so low that employers are having a hard time finding good employees. The workforce director here is starting to talk about how it's possible we're nearing full employment, where everyone that wants a job, has a job.

    This makes my position as someone that helps find people jobs a little more tenuous.
    I see. If I ever need to find work, good to know it's pretty available in the state next to me.

  12. #12
    #throwback mikec's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    @mikec31
    Age
    34
    Posts
    19,964
    vCash
    17097
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

    Other good thing for workers in this situation - next comes employers raise salaries to compete for good employees.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ant.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,648
    vCash
    2600
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Do I tell my boss/friend that I'm going on an interview for another job?

    I went on the interview yesterday and I think it went well. I should be getting an answer in a few weeks. I decided not to tell my friend/boss anything yet. I do hope I get this job though. It's a trainee/entry level position for a big insurance company that starts at $60k with full benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401k, and a pension after 1 year, none of which my current job provides. But like I said, I work for a very small business, so I understand why he can't provide us with those things at this time. Luckily, I qualify for a $50/month medical/dental/vision insurance plan, because they base my income off of my base salary only and not my commission. If it weren't for that, I'd be screwed.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •