Thread: Greatest Wrestlers in WCW History Countdown

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Greatest Wrestlers in WCW History Countdown

WCW's Greatest Wrestler. Who's with me?

The ECW countdown was successful, and more importantly it was fun. Now I want to do another one. Same rules and we can even do another Supplemental Countdown to reward Bischoff and humor any Lee Marshall enthusiasts that dwell among us. It's just a shame we don't have any super hardcore WCW fans here the way we did with ECW. Still, this should be a good time.

I want to make sure I get at least 8 voters before going forward so let me know if you're interested.

I'm guessing this would be a much more diverse countdown than the ECW one due to WCW being so different at various points in its history, and people preferring one era of WCW to another, whereas ECW never really changed all that much once it found its "extreme" identity.

I'm also open to timeframe adjustment. Just checked. WCW officially began on October 11, 1988. I'd prefer to run with that but if the majority wants a different start date like, say, the first Starrcade or whatever we can do it that way. It's up to you guys.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Next Countdown?

I'm in. While it wasn't quite an ECW love, I really did love WCW too. It was the "alternative" for a Yankee East Coaster like me before ECW came around, and I found myself cheering for them in the early days of the Monday Night Wars.

I think it should be proper WCW (1988-2001). GCW/JCP/NWA was a different thing.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in, and I agree with the 1988-2001 time frame. I always thought WCW started with Turner officially purchasing JCP in November 1988 but that's nitpicking.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In. I'll be able to put a list together for this a little more confidently than my ECW list. We're doing 50 again, right?

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

might be better to separate '88-'94 and then the nitro era.

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    I'm in. While it wasn't quite an ECW love, I really did love WCW too. It was the "alternative" for a Yankee East Coaster like me before ECW came around, and I found myself cheering for them in the early days of the Monday Night Wars.
    I too had my moments of pretty big WCW fandom with 88-89, 93-early 94 & September 95-August 96 being the big ones. Also loved the Dangerous Alliance era in tape form.

Wish we had a few Center Stage or Disney taping regulars posting here the way we had a few regular ECW Arena attendees.

Quote Originally Posted by PI View Post
    We're doing 50 again, right?
    Yep and you can vote for tag teams just like in the ECW countdown.

So right now it's looking like October 88-The End. That's the way I wanted it anyway. Sorry @Fisto. Not gonna break it up into two eras.

Started working on my lists tonight. Already feel pretty good about my Supplemental Countdown and Top 11. It's still a bit of a mess after that. There are a lot of quality candidates in this one.

vCash
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds great to me!
    surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take part in this. Literally just making a list 50-1? Anything special or no?

vCash
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll more than likely be in again - it will be easier for me than ECW as well.

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WCW is my first wrestling love. I was a WCW kid from about 6 years old until their bitter end. While I began to channel switch between the two shows in 1999 and more so in 2000-01, WCW was always my first and foremost love. As I grew older, I watched a lot of the earlier shows that I missed and all in all, I love their brand of wrestling. There was a couple of dark points (1995 and 2000) but WCW overall provided a great contrast to Vince's circus. A great mix of nostalgia for me to recapture here.

All credit goes to surrender!

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My list starts to get nasty once you get into the mid 40's, I'm going to need some time with this.

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingRecap View Post
    I'd take part in this. Literally just making a list 50-1? Anything special or no?
    Nope. Just 1 through 50 with #1 being the best and #50 being the 'worst.' You can also include tag teams and wrestlers can be voted on more than once. For example, you can put Mark Starr on your ballot as a singles wrestler and Men At Work as a tag team if you were so inclined.

There are really no rules other than all wrestlers must have wrestled a WCW match between October 11, 1988-March 26, 2001. "Greatest" is subjective. I base it on kayfabe success and importance until maybe the last few spots when I tend to reward personal favorites over wrestlers who may have been a teeny tiny bit more successful but you can vote however you want.

I'm also running a Supplemental Countdown for non-wrestlers which includes managers, commentators, ring announcers, referees, valets, Nitro Girls, commissioners, etc. That one only is 1-10.

Tentative deadline will be May 27 to honor the anniversary of Scott Hall's game-changing return. This gives everybody two weeks and of course I'll push it back if asked.

So I'm back at work on my list. Some tough choices had to be made.

Will The Texicans ride again?
    Will The Gambler finally hit the jackpot?
    Will I get all aboard the Ice Train express?
    Will my list be taken to the State of Euphoria?
    Might we get a rare Minotaur sighting?
    Could it be Van Hammertime?
    Obviously no Sharks or Natural Disasters will be cracking my list but could I find room for a 500 pound man?

Spoiler

Here comes MONGO?

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by The Icon View Post
    My list starts to get nasty once you get into the mid 40's, I'm going to need some time with this.
    40s? My struggles begin at #12 I have about 40 definites and then there are at least 20 guys left to fill 10 spots. This is much tougher than the ECW list imo.

At least I knocked my Supplemental List out quickly. That one was easy.

For people struggling, here's a (pretty crappy) list WWE.com put out a few years ago that might help.
    http://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/50-greatest-wcw-stars
    Last edited by Baker; 05-13-2017 at 05:51 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    For people struggling, here's a (pretty crappy) list WWE.com put out a few years ago that might help.
    http://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/50-greatest-wcw-stars
    No thanks to the PW Search function, I found the thread where we discussed that list, mainly so I could just copy and paste my old Top 50 into this countdown:

http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124947

Some good discussion there, and a few of the oversights pointed out. Unfortunately, WWE's list was "Greatest Stars", which is a little different than "Greatest Wrestler", as far as I'm concerned, so I have to do a little bit of work for this countdown (also no longer a need to separate the Road Warriors).

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    No thanks to the PW Search function, I found the thread where we discussed that list, mainly so I could just copy and paste my old Top 50 into this countdown:

http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124947

Some good discussion there, and a few of the oversights pointed out. Unfortunately, WWE's list was "Greatest Stars", which is a little different than "Greatest Wrestler", as far as I'm concerned, so I have to do a little bit of work for this countdown (also no longer a need to separate the Road Warriors).
    Nice find. I'm conspicuously absent in that thread and have no recollection of it. Pretty sure that was when my laptop was out of commission for a month and I had to post from the library due to having an antiquated cellphone (finally upgraded to join the 21st Century with my first iPhone in March ) whose internet connection was PW search function levels of crap.

I figure now is a good time to bring some discussion over to this countdown.....

Liger- Is a name I've been wrestling with. Had him tentatively penciled into the Steve Austin in ECW #50 spot. Lots of similarities there. Both guys made the most of their few appearances. But there's just so many worthy candidates here. I'm probably going to be forced to leave Liger off

Road Warriors- Thinking they crack my Top 20. Barely. Here's the thing. Starting in October '88 costs the Roadies big time. You lose the Horsemen feud. You lose the legendary first War Games. You lose the Scaffold Match with the Midnight Express (yeah, it sucked but it was also a really big deal). If we go back to the first Starrcade, Road Warriors have a decent shot at cracking the Top 10. Without it they're only the 3rd or even 4th biggest team in WCW history.

Piper & Syxx were on my initial list of 60 something. Both were early cuts. Now I'm forced to rethink. Am I an idiot? Probably. Am I brainwashed by WWF? Not in this case. I don't even remember seeing this list before yesterday.

Hennig & Bret were both borderlines candidates I was probably going to leave off before reading Kilgore's defense. Again, now I'm forced to reevaluate.

*Maybe I'm too hung up on "WWF Guys" and "WCW Guys." When I think "WCW" I think of guys like Bobby Eaton (another borderline candidate as a solo, though the Midnight Express are definites), not the likes of Piper, Syxx, Bret & Hennig.

Tully wouldn't make a Top 1000. He literally only wrestled one match for WCW- a Legends Match vs. Funk at the first Slamboree. All his greatness is NWA.

Rock & Roll Express & Nikita Koloff are similar to Tully, though they did at least have proper WCW runs. Just not as good as their pre-WCW prime. Didn't have either on my list of 60 something, though I wouldn't scoff if somebody listed Nikita.

I love Steve Williams but can't imagine him making the final cut either. Same goes for the awesome Varsity Club.

vCash
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of my previous defenses was based on star power, which I think matters much less now. Piper is one of the biggest stars ever, so I repped him hard. I don't think he'll rank near as high in a greatest WCW Wrestler list, although he did have some big wins, like putting Hogan to fucking sleep at Starrcade. Somebody like Booker T., who I penalized for lack of starpower last time around will be rising as a "WCW Wrestler" holding pretty much every title and being over in that universe. I have many tweaks along those lines.

Farewell to Tully. I must have had WCW starting in 1987 in my mind a few years back. Whoops.

Nikita was still in the greatest War Games Match ever in 1992.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few "Baker guys" like Zbyszko and Orndorff I'm struggling with, along with Hennig, Piper, Doc, solo Rotundo, solo Rick Steiner, Raven, Syxx, Nikita and even Jeff Jarrett are on the fringe. Man this is tough.

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Icon View Post
    A few "Baker guys" like Zbyszko and Orndorff I'm struggling with, along with Hennig, Piper, Doc, solo Rotundo, solo Rick Steiner, Raven, Syxx, Nikita and even Jeff Jarrett are on the fringe. Man this is tough.
    Trying to play favorites by finding room for Zbyszko, Wonderful, Eaton & Norton near the bottom of my list as Baker Guys. Figured they'd be locks but now I'm thinking at least one of them misses the cut. Two will also be rewarded elsewhere so maybe they get the cut if it comes to it?

The Rotundo/Rick Steiner feud was gold. Rotundo was a quality heel and Steiner as the world's best Eugene got super over as a face but neither guy will make my list. Part of that story took place in NWA. Steiner will be richly rewarded elsewhere for his work in tags and Rotundo's AWFUL post-Varsity Club runs cause him to lose points. Wrestling hell is the Duggan/Wallstreet feud on an endless loop.

Jarrett is a lock and I'm 90% sure Raven makes it.

I'm gonna throw a few more borderline names out there....

Meng- Long laster with a cult following. The Faces of Fear have grown on me in recent years (even if I do prefer the Barbarian, who is less of a 'star' and has no shot at cracking my list).

Johnny B. Badd- Forgot about him when compiling my initial list of 60 something. Then I thought he had to make it even if I couldn't stand him. As I've discussed with Pete, he was all over the B & C shows I spent entirely too much time watching. He was also TV champ a few times. Kind of like WCW's Savio Vega with a little more star power. Now it's looking like he's going to miss the cut after all. I'm happy about this but still figured I should throw his name out there.

Juvy & Psicosis- Juvy is another who I thought was a lock that has drifted to the bubble while it's looking like Psicosis will be a late cut for the second countdown in a row.

Disco Inferno- Long laster. I was amused by his early run. The Orndorff 'mirror' squash was gold and the Malenko ppv match was kind of brilliant. Soured on him big time over the years but he deserves a mention.

Konnan- Another long laster. I was the one guy who liked his early Aztec Warrior "great wrestler" run. Not a fan of his later stuff but he did get over.

Buff Bagwell- 95% sure he makes it. One of the longest lasters. Changed with the times.

Scott Hall- Actually flirted with leaving him off before coming to my senses after remembering he started the Invasion, won a World War III, and challenged for the WCW title on PPV. Still gonna finish much lower than Nash, and especially the Outsiders, though.

Nasty Boys- In the Johnny B. Badd category of an act I was once going to grudgingly vote for who has fallen to the bubble. Actually had a surprisingly strong WCW career. I'd go to bat for the damn Nasties if anybody does vote for them.

Doom- Solid team from WCW's early days. Had a good brawl with the Horsemen. Beat the Steiners. Held the tag titles for a pretty good while. Initially forgot about them. Then they were on my list. Now they're probably back off. But definitely worthy of consideration.

Edit: So after a little more tinkering I'm feeling much better about my list. This has been harder than most. Usually I have a pretty good idea of what I want and just mess around with a few spots. This time around 20 point swings are not uncommon but I feel like I'm almost there now.

Edit #2: Jushin Liger actually wrestled more WCW matches than Roddy Piper's 28. If I can't find room for Liger there's no way I'm finding a spot for Piper. #Controversy.
    Last edited by Baker; 05-14-2017 at 01:17 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's much more of a chance of me getting a list in for this than there was for the ECW one - so I'll get to working.

s u r r e n d e r

***Take part in PW's Match of the Year 2016 Tournament in the Wide World of Wrestling**
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showt...53#post4407453

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Greatest Wrestlers in WCW History Countdown

Glad PW is back up and running. I've received two ballots so far and finished up my own at long last. So far 61 acts have received votes.

Received one Supplemental ballot which was much different than my own so perhaps that will turn into an interesting race.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching some WCW Nitro 1998 tonight for inspiration for this list. Man, that one Nitro girl with the huge bombs and the black hair is gonna make my non wrestler list for sure. Man that bitch was BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is proving a lot harder than the ECW list for me. I almost want to ask if we can expand the list to 100.
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When are the list do?

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know man but I wish I could rep Icon for that sweet as pic in his sig:

Goldberg & Warrior together, too sweet.

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PI View Post
    I almost want to ask if we can expand the list to 100.
    You're not the first person to have this thought but, nah, not subjecting everybody else to it. I want more voters, not less.

Although I may come up with my own personal list of 100 to share at the end....

Quote Originally Posted by body slam View Post
    When are the list do?
    Tentative deadline is May 27th.

Thread Information