Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Movie Discussion thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Movie Discussion thread

So we're just around the corner until Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is released (unless you live in the U.K. of course ), and I dunno about you guys, but I loved the first movie, anyway's I'm super excited to go see the sequel. Anyway's you guys know the deal by now, use this thread to discuss the movie once you've seen, so spoilers don't get posted in the main Marvel movie thread, potentially ruining it for those who aren't seeing it opening weekend.

Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
    Attack on Titan S2, Dragon Ball Super
    MSG: Thunderbolt S2, Tiger Mask W

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Movie Discussion thread

Saw it. Loved it. One of my favorite entries in the MCU and one of the most enjoyable movies I've ever seen. It's such a blast. Really impressed by how they handled Ego. Never thought it would translate well to a movie, but they pulled it off. Drax & Baby Groot, obviously, stole the show. Baby Groot may be the literal best. Never been so emotionally invested in a character. I was legit pissed when he was getting attacked and I wasn't the only one. One more act of violence against him and militias would've formed in the theater. The movie was a real roller-coaster ride of emotions. The movie features one of the more emotional scenes in the MCU to date and that's not something I ever expected, especially given who the character was. Starlord and Gamora's arcs were nice and fleshed out the movie, but to be honest, I wasn't there for them and couldn't have cared less. :lol Groot, Drax, & Rocket were the draws, with Mantis coming from nowhere to join the list of reasons to watch this movie. Anything else was gravy.

The movie wasn't perfect, but it sure felt like it was by how much I enjoyed it. An easy 8/9 out of 10.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've watched it twice. The first time, I would've ranked it down with the lesser Marvel movies. A second viewing made me appreciate it more. It's still not among the top, but I'd put it in the middle to upper-middle of the pack. The first time through, I was really annoyed with all the bickering they do with each other throughout, and you'd think it would only get worse a second time, but, for no reason I can see, it didn't bother me nearly as much. My only real remaining gripe is that I was really hoping for more of a lead in to Infinity War or connection to the rest of the MCU, but this is very much just a sequel to the first Guardians.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How was this movie as emotionally heavy (if not moreso) as the first one?!?!??!?

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9/10. It was fucking awesome. I actually enjoyed it more than the first one, it was both funnier and more emotionally heavy. Also I kind of like that fact it wasn't connected to Thanos or the Infinity stones.

Drax was by far my favorite in this movie, he was 100% hilarious. Baby Groot and Yondu were also really good.

vCash
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went and saw it last night, I loved the first GotG film, and this one was just as good in my opinion. As others have said, Batista is surprising entertaining in these movies as Drax. Having said that, I kinda want a Rocket/Groot team-up spin-off movie, as they have been my favorite characters.

I was shocked to see The Watchers in the movie, wasn't aware they would be in the film, hell for some reason I thought Fox owned the movie rights to them, but I guess not.

Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
    Attack on Titan S2, Dragon Ball Super
    MSG: Thunderbolt S2, Tiger Mask W

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loved this movie. Loved it, Loved it, Loved it. I actually asked my kid if this tops Winter Soldier as his favorite sequel in the MCU and he said it was close, and I agree with him. That mid-credit scene has me pumped for the next installment. Everyone was so good in this movie, the script was well done, it had everything you needed to enjoy a GotG movie. And now, I must play Legendary using all of the characters, Thanos and the Infinity Gems... excuse me.
    Now you're on the field callin' me an asshole, 'Cause I roped up your body like a lasso

And I could be just like Mr. HK, runnin' cause a melee
    Bring my team a W, I'm poppin' shots like Pele

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah wait, how did they get to use the Watchers? I thought they were linked to Fantastic Four?

Cannot believe they locked in a third film already. Gunn seems super excited to do the next one. However, it seems the third film will be his last. His facebook post made it seem like he will be helping to produce the cosmic side of MCU.

For those who missed the post:

Well, this week we start the U.S. press junket, before traveling to Europe at the end of the week. Of course I know some of the questions that come up a lot – “Wasn’t there a lot more pressure dealing with the sequel of a beloved film?” (No, there was less, because this time I knew there was an audience waiting to see it!) and, “What was it like working with Kurt Russell and Sylvester Stallone?” (Daunting and at times overwhelming – I ran around in my backyard as a kid pretending to be Snake Plissken and John Rambo, so these guys are true icons to me.)
    But the question that comes up perhaps the most is, “What’s the deal with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, and are you going to direct?”
    Before I was able to honestly answer this, I needed to know it was, in my heart, what I truly felt called to do. There is a history in Hollywood of haphazard endings to trilogies, and I didn’t want to become a part of that dishonorable tradition of pretending the third one doesn’t exist. I couldn’t do it for the money, and I couldn’t do it because it was what other people wanted me to do. I needed to do it because it was what I needed to do. I have never made choices in my career based on anything other than passion and love for the stories and characters, and I didn’t want to start now.
    So, after many months of ruminations and discussions, I know the answer. I could save this answer for the first, random interviewer to ask me during the press junket but instead I thought I’d share it with the most important people in the Guardiansverse – you, the fans, who have been so incredibly supportive and enthusiastic over the past five years, it has moved me to tears on a regular basis.
    So, yes, I’m returning to write and direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.
    In the end, my love for Rocket, Groot, Gamora, Star-Lord, Yondu, Mantis, Drax, and Nebula – and some of the other forthcoming heroes – goes deeper than you guys can possibly imagine, and I feel they have more adventures to go on and things to learn about themselves and the wonderful and sometimes terrifying universe we all inhabit. And, like in both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, we will work on creating the story that goes beyond what you expect.
    My partnership with the folks at Marvel Studios – Kevin Feige, Lou D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, and Jonathan Schwartz – has been the best of my professional career, and is a huge contributing factor to my decision – as is my relationship to the guys at Disney Studios – Bob Iger, Alan Horn, and Alan Bergman – who have been cheerleading innovation and the pure love of movies from the start. This is the kind of thing you’d expect a director to say about the people who have just hired him, but people who know me know I would never put up working with people I don’t like for a single movie, much less two, and much, much less three. I love them all and appreciate immensely their collaboration. I wake up every day pinching myself that they’d allow this punk rock kid from Missouri to help create this wonderful universe, and to not only allow but encourage creative freedom while doing so.
    I can’t fricking wait to get started.
    Much of what’s happened in the MCU for the past ten or so years has been leading, in a big way, to the Avengers’ Infinity War. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will happen after all that. It will conclude the story of this iteration of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and help catapult both old and new Marvel characters into the next ten years and beyond. I will be working side-by-side with Kevin Feige and the gang to help design where these stories go, and make sure the future of the Marvel Cosmic Universe is as special and authentic and magical as what we have created so far.
    I promise you, the fans, I’ll do it all with integrity and love and respect for the characters.
    Make mine Marvel.
    We are Groot.
    Excelsior!
    Love,
    James

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother told me that when Gamora told Peter something felt off about the situation on Ego's planet, he felt it was really familiar to the Futurama episode where the shapeshifting alien cons Lila into marrying him by pretending he is the last male of her species and living on his planet, where in secret he had other various alien wives that were under the same impression.

I couldn't help but agree.

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think while the first one is a little better, I enjoyed this one more cause the laughs are more funnier. Overall, I'd give it a 8.5 and I would watch again.

-chaos-
    "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liked it. Thought I wouldn't since it had no Thanos progression and seemed like it'd be filler. Drax stole the show, although some of the laughing he did came off awkward at times. The ending where he said "on the inside"... I said that to myself right before he did and was shocked it was the line.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Movie Discussion thread

To be fair, doing a genuine sounding fake laugh is often harder than a genuine seeming fake cry, and since Drax himself is socially awkward, it seeming a little off works.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a fantastic fucking movie. Just amazing. Beautiful, funny, exciting, jaw-dropping ... what more can you ask for?

Fuck you, DC. Marvel is able to turn the nichiest of niche ideas into a powerhouse franchise and you've pissed away god damn SUPERMAN.

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's mind boggling ain't it?

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it so interesting that Dawn of the Dead was done by Snyder and Gunn, then they end up in different companies and Gunn with characters who are basically nobodies does better than Snyder with icons. Then again you can tell Gunn loves comics, but Snyder seems to feel he can do better stories than the source material.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    I find it so interesting that Dawn of the Dead was done by Snyder and Gunn, then they end up in different companies and Gunn with characters who are basically nobodies does better than Snyder with icons. Then again you can tell Gunn loves comics, but Snyder seems to feel he can do better stories than the source material.
    Snyder just sees flaws in comic characters being written as heroes. For some reason, being "realistic" means being a conflicted, borderline psychotic person.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but this is the problem. Gunn tries to find ways to bring out the best of the characters. Snyder seems to supress the best parts of the characters to make Batman repeatedly.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jericho View Post
    Snyder just sees flaws in comic characters being written as heroes. For some reason, being "realistic" means being a conflicted, borderline psychotic person.
    He just doesn't get it.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about this very thing while at GotG2 (saw it opening night, fucking loved it, better than the first).

I'm watching a trailer for Thor: Ragnarok and it's got fucking Led Zepplin and 80's theme/style sprinkled everywhere and crazy horn-head ladies and literal gods fighting each other and frickin Smurf Jeff Goldblum...then I'm thinking about how I'm about to watch the second GotG movie and how amazing they are, and DC can't pull off a decent Superman movie.

I watched the Justice League trailer when it came out and was laughing at half of it. It looks so dumb.

Anyway, Guardians...Kurt Russell was awesome. He made a great villain. I went into Guardians totally blind when the first movie came out and kept it that way, so I had no idea who Peter's father was or what he was capable of or what his plans were, so that was all amazing to watch unfold. I loved when he admitted to placing the tumor and Peter just started shooting, not even a second thought.

I've been reading people saying how Yondu and Rocket's stories were forced into the movie but I didn't feel that at all. Rocket's story was carried over from the first movie and they spent nearly the whole second movie hinting that Yondu had other reasons for why he did what he did, and his argument with Rocket and ensuing reveal/face turn were very well done. I thought it felt perfectly natural.

Even the corny father-son catch scene was awesome. Everyone in the theatre laughed and loved it. The whole movie was great, start to finish. I'd go see it again right now.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone who says Yondu's story was forced can eat a dick. It was the best part of the movie IMO.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peter just unloading on Ego with the tumor reveal was perfect. No "how could you" or "why?" ... just fucking shooting the bastard.

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I'm Mary Poppins, y'all"
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, that was a great if forgettable scene.

Is he cool?

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's no Dick Van Dyke, but, yes, he's cool.

Loved that scene.

One question I have is, why did Drax keep calling the batteries by a different name? Drax being Drax, or was it explained and I missed it because... "I was thinking of something else"?
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

I <3 JESUS

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think it was just Drax doing Drax. He heard Peter name them but wasn't listening or didn't care.

Thread Information