Thread: Was Curt Hennig supposed to join ECW in 2000?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Was Curt Hennig supposed to join ECW in 2000?

Apparently, I heard that WCW didn't renew Hennig's contract in 2000 so they let him go as part of the AOL Time Warner casualties in a line of WCW releasing their long-time veterans and significant undercard workers such as Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Lex Luger, Perry Saturn, Scott Hall, Hennig, Randy Savage, Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Roddy Piper, Eddie Guerrero, Van Hammer, Horace Hogan, Lodi, La Parka, Eric Bischoff, Miss Elizabeth, Bobby Heenan, Kimberly Page, Larry Zbyszko and Juventud Guerrera; and nearly lost Konnan and Scott Steiner in 2000 as well.

It's been stated that Hennig had injuries and substance abuse issues derailing him throughout his tenure with WCW from 1997 to 2000, with one example being that Hennig was given an opportunity to make an impact as a member of the nWo in 1997 rather than going with the Four Horsemen as Ric Flair originally hoped for, when Hennig was made the WCW United States Champion for the second half of 1997. After his U.S. Championship Belt reign, Hennig fell down the card when he turned up drunk on a live edition of WCW Monday Nitro just one week before Starrcade 1997 was about to commence, and many people were watching the PPV for Sting vs Hogan that was to determine the fate of the nWo if Sting won clean vs Hogan; so Hennig was now in a reduced role when he had been plagued with a knee injury that bothered him for much of 1998 when his match repertoire grew old and tired, the Hennig-Plex/Perfect-Plex was now done in slow motion, and now it looked like Hennig was mailing in his in-ring talents for the easy money. I can't blame Hennig though for getting WCW's big money contract, even though unlike Hogan, Hall, Nash, Savage and Bret who were all free to turn up whenever they pleased and still get paid according to their WCW contracts, Hennig strictly had to be there full-time and if he missed time, he didn't get paid.

I personally think Hennig wasn't a good fit for the Four Horsemen faction anyway as Arn Anderson's storyline intended replacement and heir to Ric Flair's role, given the physical state of Hennig since his back injury from 1991 and spent most of the mid 1990s on hiatus while early-to-mid 1990s wrestling was in their darkest days after the 1980s Golden Era boom period,....until ECW and the New World Order angle emerged. You know you can't expect Hennig to give much more to the business if he's often the missing in action midcarder he was since his injuries.

Anyway, there were once rumors that Curt Hennig was supposed to join ECW where Scott Hall was on the ECW roster for a very brief period in 2000 but that never happened. Hall didn't last long in ECW not because of his substance abuse issues, but because of the fact that Shane Douglas, Francine, Bam Bam Bigelow and Chris Candido hated him for his involvement in The Kliq for holding them down in the WWF during the mid 90s. Douglas, Bam Bam and Candido wanted Hall out of ECW, but I think Justin Credible (an associate of Hall) and Paul Heyman wanted Hall in ECW, and I might believe that Tommy Dreamer, Beulah McGillicutty and Sandman were the others who didn't accept Hall but not as harsh as Douglas, Bam Bam and Candido were. But nonetheless, I think Hall's presence in ECW was to help Heyman's promotion get a cheap pop for their house shows since ECW was now becoming a big time wrestling company provided they find a TV network to keep them on-air which they didn't. If they had, maybe it'd be WWF and ECW duking it out once WCW folded.

I think, with Curt Hennig on the other hand, Shane Douglas, Bam Bam Bigelow and Chris Candido would've been willing to work with him since Hennig was beloved by most wrestlers. Hennig could either continue to work technical wrestling or Heyman would incorporate him into Hardcore matches with Tommy Dreamer, Sabu, Sandman and maybe Shane Douglas, Bam Bam Bigelow and Chris Candido. So money would be the only potential issue in potentially keeping Hennig in ECW for the long haul since Paul Heyman was stated by some to refuse to pay his employees.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Was Curt Hennig supposed to join ECW in 2000?

I think the reasoning for Hall not lasting in ECW is way off. Douglas, Bigelow and Bigelow were either in WCW (Bigelow & Douglas) or not in the company at all (Candido). Plus, it's been known that Hall did the show for free as a favor to Justin Credible to help him get over.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingRecap View Post
    I think the reasoning for Hall not lasting in ECW is way off. Douglas, Bigelow and Bigelow were either in WCW (Bigelow & Douglas) or not in the company at all (Candido). Plus, it's been known that Hall did the show for free as a favor to Justin Credible to help him get over.
    This is about what would have happened if Curt Hennig opted to join ECW after WCW released him in 2000 as part of WCW's massive fire sale budget cuts. I think Justin Credible, Tommy Dreamer, Sabu, Rob Van Dam and maybe Sandman would all have been willing to work with Hennig if the latter decided to forgo the big bucks in exchange for taking his talents to ECW.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Douglas/Bam Bam/Candido kicking Hall out happened in 1998, when Hall visited just as Justin Credible's friend. There were no plans to use him, as he was still under WCW contract. Douglas caught wind that Hall was showing up and told Credible he'd kick Hall's ass if he showed up. Hall showed up, Dougals yelled at him (with Bam Bam Bigelow standing behind him) and Hall left. I picture Hall giving him spooky fingers as he backed out because Hall is the fucking coolest, but I don't know that happened anywhere other than my mind.

Hall most likely had heat in 2000 too, but it wouldn't have been Douglas/Bam Bam/Candido, who were all gone.

ECW was all but dead in late 2000. They only ran six more shows after the Hall appearances. It was no missed opportunity, unfortunately.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore
    Douglas/Bam Bam/Candido kicking Hall out happened in 1998, when Hall visited just as Justin Credible's friend. There were no plans to use him, as he was still under WCW contract. Douglas caught wind that Hall was showing up and told Credible he'd kick Hall's ass if he showed up. Hall showed up, Dougals yelled at him (with Bam Bam Bigelow standing behind him) and Hall left. I picture Hall giving him spooky fingers as he backed out because Hall is the fucking coolest, but I don't know that happened anywhere other than my mind.

Hall most likely had heat in 2000 too, but it wouldn't have been Douglas/Bam Bam/Candido, who were all gone.

ECW was all but dead in late 2000. They only ran six more shows after the Hall appearances. It was no missed opportunity, unfortunately.
    WOW! He really came at the end.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember the Hennig to ECW rumors at all. Even if he was past it, and ECW was about to die, the mere rumor of Hennig in ECW would have gotten my butt back to The Arena. I've traveled long distances to wrestling shows for far less.

Forgot about Hall's appearance in latter day ECW too. He allegedly worked for free and put over Big Sal to show what a team player he was. Of course then he went on to beat a guy who actually mattered in his friend Justin Credible. The time he showed up in '98 and had heat with the Triple Threat was a big story at the time.

The Dudleys also made one final ECW appearance near the end as company legend babyfaces teaming with former rival Dreamer. Think they wrestled CW/Simon/Swinger. Reports said it was a really fun match. I've always wanted to see it. Come to think of it, Taz may have also appeared on the same show. Can't remember for sure.

Disagree with Hennig not being a good fit for the Horsemen. He was a perfect fit. Hell, I think the first fantasy stable I ever dreamed about was the Ultimate Horsemen of Flair/Perfect/DOUBLE TROUBLE. Plus Flair & Hennig had history. I wasn't watching WCW at the time but hearing about Hennig turning on the Horsemen to join the NWO pissed me off so much. And I guess that was the whole point since you're not supposed to like heels.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    I don't remember the Hennig to ECW rumors at all. Even if he was past it, and ECW was about to die, the mere rumor of Hennig in ECW would have gotten my butt back to The Arena. I've traveled long distances to wrestling shows for far less.

Forgot about Hall's appearance in latter day ECW too. He allegedly worked for free and put over Big Sal to show what a team player he was. Of course then he went on to beat a guy who actually mattered in his friend Justin Credible. The time he showed up in '98 and had heat with the Triple Threat was a big story at the time.

The Dudleys also made one final ECW appearance near the end as company legend babyfaces teaming with former rival Dreamer. Think they wrestled CW/Simon/Swinger. Reports said it was a really fun match. I've always wanted to see it. Come to think of it, Taz may have also appeared on the same show. Can't remember for sure.

Disagree with Hennig not being a good fit for the Horsemen. He was a perfect fit. Hell, I think the first fantasy stable I ever dreamed about was the Ultimate Horsemen of Flair/Perfect/DOUBLE TROUBLE. Plus Flair & Hennig had history. I wasn't watching WCW at the time but hearing about Hennig turning on the Horsemen to join the NWO pissed me off so much. And I guess that was the whole point since you're not supposed to like heels.
    Him as a Horseman would've made even better sense than as a member of the nWo. But it was a nice swerve having him turn on the Horseman. Was there much memorable about his nWo though?

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hennig's nWo run was like their TV workhorse. He seemed to wrestle on most shows, while Hall and Nash would only talk or Hogan would take weeks off completely. Hennig would be on TV doing stuff like this:

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    Hennig's nWo run was like their TV workhorse. He seemed to wrestle on most shows, while Hall and Nash would only talk or Hogan would take weeks off completely. Hennig would be on TV doing stuff like this:

Perfect.

So I did a little digging and it turns out Hennig to ECW really was a rumor back in the day. Don't know how I missed that one. Must have been during one of those brief periods where I was without internet access for a little while.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    So I did a little digging and it turns out Hennig to ECW really was a rumor back in the day. Don't know how I missed that one. Must have been during one of those brief periods where I was without internet access for a little while.
    I don't remember it either. Weird for both of us to miss it. MANDELA EFFECT! I think we probably just stopped caring around the same time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    I don't remember it either. Weird for both of us to miss it. MANDELA EFFECT! I think we probably just stopped caring around the same time.
    The Hennig to ECW rumor may not have existed after all. I did a quick google search before my last post. Turns out I misread the first thing to pop up. The second link was an old post on another forum made by the same guy who started this thread. Plus it's weird that neither one of us would remember it. I liked Curt Hennig. I liked ECW. Hennig to ECW is definitely a thing I would remember. I'm calling FALSE on this rumor. It's certainly no Yokozuna will be joining the Hart Foundation THIS MONDAY on Raw.

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Douglas got pissed at Scott Hall visiting an ECW show, then turns around and signs a year or so later with the company Hall has major pull in?

For a former teacher (if it wasn't kayfabe), Shane can be one dumb son of a bitch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You right now that I remember. Other than Norton I don't remember anybody besides Hennig doing TV matches. And that HennigPlex was Perfect indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah
    So Douglas got pissed at Scott Hall visiting an ECW show, then turns around and signs a year or so later with the company Hall has major pull in?

For a former teacher (if it wasn't kayfabe), Shane can be one dumb son of a bitch.
    Probably wanted that big payday. Also, did Hall have much pull at that point?

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once the ECW checks started bouncing, Shane got out the firehose trying to put out those burning bridges. I can't really consider it selling out when he stopped getting paid in ECW. The bad WWF run was more recent, and he had a shitload of friends in WCW, like pretty much every Triple Threat member ever. WCW was the better option. I imagine Shane thought he and Flair would eventually be money too. That would only make money in ECW, though. Flair had to be legit confused as to how a former Dynamic Dude was a worthy challenger. I don't think he was watching much ECW.

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MV View Post

Probably wanted that big payday. Also, did Hall have much pull at that point?
    The payday was probably the biggest reason to jump, but it just seems odd that the guy is willing to burn every bridge, then still swim back across that lake to go where he "wouldn't want to go back".

I would think Hall still had some pull. Maybe not a lot, but with Nash still on top at the time, and him still be a bit of a draw, I'd have to think he had some pull.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah
    The payday was probably the biggest reason to jump, but it just seems odd that the guy is willing to burn every bridge, then still swim back across that lake to go where he "wouldn't want to go back".

I would think Hall still had some pull. Maybe not a lot, but with Nash still on top at the time, and him still be a bit of a draw, I'd have to think he had some pull.
    From Kilgore's post, it seemed like that applied more to WWF than WCW, even though Hall and Nash were in WCW. He probably figured he'd fare better in the latter.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding this pic made me think of this thread.

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding this pic made me think of this thread.

Spoiler
    That's a rare one.

Thread Information