Thread: 5/2 Smackdown Women's Discussion

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 5/2 Smackdown Women's Discussion

I think we're inevitably heading for a six-woman tag match for Backlash with the way things are going.

I know that the Welcoming Committee is very weak on paper compared to the team of Naomi, Charlotte, and Becky but the past two weeks have been good in trying to build up some "in-universe" creativity for them. If anything, I think they could have held off on Becky joining the "GOOD" team for another week since there are two more shows before Backlash. I liked the two backstage segments despite Natalya's weakness on the mic. She made good points in trying to get to Becky join them. And the backstage attack on THE QUEEN was also effective in helping turn Charlotte face or tweener.

The match layout with Naomi being brave enough to try and fight a handicap match, along with Charlotte being strong enough to walk out and join in despite the beatdown was also good. Carmella was presented as obviously out of her league, but could work because she had numbers on her side. And the Naomi hot tag was on fire. That said, the Becky swerve at the end was also pretty good, albeit expected. She showed fire and the crowd loved her. And the Welcoming Committee still got the best of her, getting them a bit more heat.

I do wonder where they'll go next. If it were up to me, I'd have left the total Becky move to the episode before Backlash. Next week could have been a singles match with Charlotte and the Welcoming Committee showing up to help her win and climb up the totem pole. And then the go-home show will have her just pummel the Welcoming Committee and get beat up like tonight. But with the fast-paced development, I do wonder.
    ★ If you're gonna do it, do it with FLAIR! ★

-surrender-

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 5/2 Smackdown Women's Discussion

I'm just not sure how I feel about Charlotte being a face. I would rather she remain heel and they bring up Asuka to SD as a face. If they really want to turn Charlotte face though, it would've been cool to see Becky actually turn heel last night, and then have Asuka eventually come to aid Charlotte and Naomi since they would be outnumbered 4-2.

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ant. View Post
    I'm just not sure how I feel about Charlotte being a face. I would rather she remain heel and they bring up Asuka to SD as a face. If they really want to turn Charlotte face though, it would've been cool to see Becky actually turn heel last night, and then have Asuka eventually come to aid Charlotte and Naomi since they would be outnumbered 4-2.
    Becky turning heel is Blasphemy.

Big thanks to Surrender!

PW Accolades

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlotte as a pure face, maybe not. But Charlotte as a tweener that toes the line works. And Charlotte as a badass babyface also worked back down in her last few months in NXT. She could still be that since we only know that she teamed up with Naomi because it was against the Welcoming Committee. As long as she isn't all smiles and waves like she was when she debuted on the main roster as part of PCB then it's all good.
    ★ If you're gonna do it, do it with FLAIR! ★

-surrender-

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaye88 View Post
    I think we're inevitably heading for a six-woman tag match for Backlash with the way things are going.

I know that the Welcoming Committee is very weak on paper compared to the team of Naomi, Charlotte, and Becky but the past two weeks have been good in trying to build up some "in-universe" creativity for them. If anything, I think they could have held off on Becky joining the "GOOD" team for another week since there are two more shows before Backlash. I liked the two backstage segments despite Natalya's weakness on the mic. She made good points in trying to get to Becky join them. And the backstage attack on THE QUEEN was also effective in helping turn Charlotte face or tweener.

The match layout with Naomi being brave enough to try and fight a handicap match, along with Charlotte being strong enough to walk out and join in despite the beatdown was also good. Carmella was presented as obviously out of her league, but could work because she had numbers on her side. And the Naomi hot tag was on fire. That said, the Becky swerve at the end was also pretty good, albeit expected. She showed fire and the crowd loved her. And the Welcoming Committee still got the best of her, getting them a bit more heat.

I do wonder where they'll go next. If it were up to me, I'd have left the total Becky move to the episode before Backlash. Next week could have been a singles match with Charlotte and the Welcoming Committee showing up to help her win and climb up the totem pole. And then the go-home show will have her just pummel the Welcoming Committee and get beat up like tonight. But with the fast-paced development, I do wonder.
    The Becky situation is the type of alignment storyline that WWE loves to drag out - where it looks like the face is going to turn heel but ends up staying a face - so the fact that they rushed the confirmation of Becky as a babyface in one night makes me think Becky might actually be turning heel during this story. The heel turn is more effective and shocking now that the supposed babyface confirmation already occurred.

surrender

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoyed the match a lot since for the most part everyone got something from it. Naomi looked brave and out right better with her laughing off Carmella offense. Charlotte was showed some humility and tried to come out to even after a three on one assault. The Welcoming Committee looked strong in the end and let Carmella get a much needed pinfall. Natalya did the heavy lifting for her team. And I really couldn't tell which side Becky would pick. She probably came out thinking ok which side has stab me in the back the least hum I think they are tied well which team did it the most recent.

I still wish if both Tamina and Carmella are using super kicks that they do something together.

TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean no disrespect when I say this, especially since I have heard what a hard worker she is, and respect that, but I don't at all understand the Naomi appeal.

I see her as a midcard baby face at best. She comes off as nervous, unnatural and awkward on the mic and despite "you deserve it" chants, I don't really see her make a connection with audiences. It all comes off as scripted and awkward, her reactions, her promos, even her in ring isn't anything I'd call main event worthy.

What am I missing? What is the match to watch to appreciate her in a way that the WWE creative and those who are fans do?

Thread Information