Thread: ECW Supplemental Countdown Results

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ECW Supplemental Countdown Results

Turnout was smaller for this one which was to be expected. Thanks to @PI @The Icon @Big Pete @ShinobiMusashi & @Kilgore for voting. Add me in and that makes 6 ballots.

19 entries received votes. Included among them were three fans and even an inanimate object

Thankfully Judge Jeff Jones, Jason, Lance Wright, Lou E. Dangerously (though Sign Guy Dudley would have been acceptable), Damian Kane and all those early commentators who weren't Joey Styles received no votes. My faith in PW has been restored.

Going to burn through this one quick. #7-#18 will be up in a minute and I'm going to finish it off tomorrow.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ECW Supplemental Countdown Results

7. Woman- 5 Votes-16 Points
    8. Cyrus- 4 Votes-14 Points
    9. Tod Gordon- 3 Votes-11 Points
    10. Rick Rude- 2 Votes- 8 Points

11. Dawn Marie- 1 Vote-6 Points
    12. Sinister Minister- 1 Vote-5 Points
    13. Hat Guy- 2 Votes-4 Points
    14. Sign Guy (Fan)- 1 Votes-3 Points
    15. Tommy Rich- 1 Vote-2 Points
    16. Peaches- 1 Vote-1 Point
    16. Sherri- 1 Vote-1 Point
    16. Faith No More Guy- 1 Vote-1 Point
    16. Head- 1 Vote-1 Point

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tod Gordon- #5 on my list and I expected him to fare better. Think about this for a second. ECW fans were extremely anti-establishment. You'd think they'd be predisposed to booing the hell out of any authority figure. Yet they loved their babyface commissioner Tod Gordon. Gordon played his role well and made the most of his sporadic appearances. His interactions with Fonzie were always tons of fun. Shame on PW for underrating The Commish. Tod Is God.

Cyrus- #8 on my list. Solid talker who did double duty as a heel commentator and a heel authority figure. Got good heat. I do wish he would have been more of a heel manager leading a stable but male managers were quickly going out of style by the time Cyrus came along. Too bad.

Hat Guy- Had him at #9. The most famous wrestling fan ever imo and the definitive ECW fan. Great heckler who tended to cheer the babyfaces and boo the heels as it should be. He really felt like part of the show...a character in his own right....right down to having his own distinctive look.

Woman- I needed a #10. Shin & Kilgore had been pimpi....hyping Woman for years. I trust their judgment. Woman it is.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Head: I didn't even think to rank Head, but I'm glad someone did. In ECW land, Head was like Stone Cold over.

Faith No More Guy: My personal favorite of the ECW superfans. When you watch back, Faith No More Guy fell in love with RVD before everybody in the ECW arena. A keen eye for talent behind those dark glasses.

Sherri: I figured she'd be forgotten, so I made sure to sneak her on my list at #10. Sherri did her usual dependable work with Shane Douglas in 1994 as The Franchise was coming into his own, and her presence helped make him feel like a bigger deal. The split, which included Shane piledriving Sherri, really set the tone for women in ECW, who were treated as equals, when it came to their comeuppance.

Peaches: [Steve Corino]Speaking of douchebags.[/Steve Corino] Peaches was important in the very early days of ECW and although not one of my favorites, was certainly useful during the Sandman-Raven feud during ECW's heydey.

Tommy Rich: He was no JT Smith.

Sign Guy (Fan): Of all the ECW superfans, the only one that ECW felt was relevant enough to take a shot at.

Hat Guy: I love Hat Guy. There should be fan fiction of his life, the more ridiculous, the better, that ends with him walking into the ECW Arena for the first time. What a fucking legend.

Sinister Minister: I wasn't the biggest Sinister Minister fan. His whole persona felt painfully outdated, although by the time the Unholy Alliance came along, it started to feel like a good parody.

Dawn Marie: My final cut, which ended up being dangerous with only one vote. I thought she was safer. Anyway, I loved Dawn Marie as the ditzy, eager to please, Lance Storm valet, who couldn't quite ever get his full attention. While there are great female wrestlers, Dawn Marie was the greatest cat fight wrestler of all time. Sorry, Francine.

Rick Rude: I had Rick Rude in my Top 5. Love the dude. His first appearances as a "Luchador who totally isn't Rick Rude" is a classic wrestling trope of the badly disguised mystery man, and having not seen Rude for a few years (it felt like ten), it was all the more better. Then as Shane Douglas annoyer/Shane Douglas, I don't know, motivator, like he was trying to make him better, was some more classic Rude. He really shined in commentary with Joey, though. Joey is a solo act, I never liked when they teamed him with people, but Rude was my favorite.

Spoiler

Tod Gordon: The amount of love Tod Gordon got from the local crowd is probably something you'll never see again. It's not that Tod was so good on TV, it was the reality of him being a local guy, that was putting himself at financial risk to bring this insane wrestling to fellow Philly fanatics, where he could kind of do no wrong. It was like the way you appreciate a good neighbor, or something. Tod certainly was God. And the Fonzie feud was beautiful.

Cyrus: I'm not a Cyrus guy.

Woman: She was great in ECW. In the American Hardcore Theatre, Shin really gave her some tremendous write ups as she managed Sandman to the ECW title in a way where it was almost like she was the champion. By far, the best run of her career. I wish she stayed to see what would have been next for her, and then maybe she never works with Benoit in WCW.

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Head- I chuckled when I saw the ballot with Head's name on it. I'm not against Head getting a 10th place vote. Head was awfully over.

Faith No More Guy- I'd rank Hat Guy & Sign Guy over him. They stood out from the beginning whereas, like Kerry Collins Guy, I never really noticed FNM Guy until he was pointed out to me. Now I play "find FNM Guy" whenever I'm watching old shows. Dude was everywhere.

Sherri- Not too familiar with her ECW run but Sherri has really grown on me since I started posting here and Sherri/Douglas seems like a good pairing on paper.

Peaches- I remember her mainly for hooking up with Raven in a great angle. Raven/Sandman was such an awesome feud. Too bad Tyler didn't get a vote.

Tommy Rich- Was never a fan. He seemed old when I was young. In reality he was only like 30. Some folks age poorly.

Sign Guy (fan)- A trendsetter. Fans brought signs to wrestling events before ECW but they were few and far between. And I have a hunch most signs were planted by promoters. Sign Guy took sign making to an art form. The world followed. What he popularized became commonplace during the Monday Night Wars. Bringing a sign to a wrestling show became almost mandatory.
    Sign Guy must have really pissed somebody off for Heyman to make a character based on him. And the Dudleys were brutal to him at Wrestlepalooza 97 (or was it Born To Be Wired?). I mean, just savage. They hurled non-stop verbal abuse at the poor guy for like five minutes straight. He looked like he was on the verge of tears. Did he ever come back to The Arena after that? I don't remember seeing him. Now I regret leaving him off my list.

Sinister Minister- Wasn't a fan. Whether he was playing it straight or doing a parody, the gimmick never got over with me. Even his name is a bit too cartoon supervillainy for my liking. For what it's worth I didn't like him in TNA either. Just not my cup of tea.

Dawn Marie- Considered her just because I needed a 10th until I realized she never did anything particularly memorable. Tammy Lynn Bytch and "Beulah" were just stupid. Did she even parody those better, more popular performers? If so, I don't remember it. Then again, I never got the weekly tv either. I just viewed her as a woman who glommed off more popular people, and didn't even do that particularly well. It would be like a wrestler called Lazer Lemone who did no signature Scott Hall stuff.

Rick Rude- I'm a big fan of the Barely Legal swerve. Wasn't crazy about his commentary, though that time he got bleeped for like 30 seconds straight was pretty amusing.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, publicly Sign Guy pissed off Brian Pillman at Cyberslam for his "Pillman Don't Work Me" sign but I'm guessing it was Raven since most of the Dudleys were his creation. I had him on my list at number 8 since he did set the trend of "smarky" signs. I actually thought he was gone before they went to PPV but I could be wrong.

Hat Guy- Easily the most noticeably passionate fan at The Arena. I think at the end of the day he just wanted either heel or face to earn his keep. They would hear about it from the man in the straw hat if they didn't. He was also prominent at early to mid 90's WCW shows at the Civic Center, he popped big time for Terry Funk at Slamboree '94. He also got to number 9 on my list.

Faith No More Guy- The Waldo of the superfan world he seemed like he would be a hoot to go to a show with. I disclosed to Baker that on another forum I found out he drove in from Long Island to see all of those shows, that's commitment. He just seemed to like to have a good time with his crew while at times being ahead of the game with favorites like RVD as Kilgore mentioned. Good for number 10 on my list.

Woman- Expertly guided Sandman to the ECW title while making Tommy Dreamer a made man in the process. She was brilliant in her role and took what Sherri did further in making herself an equal to all of the classic male managers from the big two. Number 5 on my list.

Cyrus- I had him on my original list then found out fans could be voted in who I found much more entertaining than he was.

Tod Gordon- He was great when he was on TV but he didn't seem to be in front of the camera that much to warrant a ranking.

Rick Rude- I was so busy worrying about which fans to include that Rude became an oversight. Outstanding in both of his roles as a mentor to Shane Douglas and on color with Joey Styles.

Dawn Marie- I'm with Baker on this one, she just leeched off of more popular persona's and was a dime a dozen airhead when she managed Lance Storm.

Sinister Minister- Way more entertaining in the shoots I've seen than anything he did in ECW (he and Sandman playing Jeopardy in the hotel room?) Along with Cyrus one of my least favorite aspects of the TNN era.

Peaches- She was great especially after Sandman got blinded by Tommy Dreamer when they would interview her at home. She was as vital as Sandman at selling that angle which was a big deal in the early days. This would also bring her into the Raven/Tyler angle two years later, great role player in some of the more personal ECW feuds.

Sherri- I totally forgot about her run in ECW, I'll need to revisit it.

Tommy Rich- I think I already said he was my least favorite Pisan, if not I'm saying it here. Over the hill and too far into the drugs to do anything effective.

Head- only in ECW....
    Last edited by The Icon; 05-02-2017 at 02:19 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*PW has spoken and the top five was definitive. Huge gap between the tie at #5 and #7. These six individuals are clearly the cream of the ECW non-wrestler crop.

1. Paul Heyman- 6 Votes-54 Points
    2. Joey Styles- 6 Votes-50 Points
    3. Joel Gertner- 6 Votes-42 Points
    4. Bill Alfonso- 6 Votes-40 Points
    5. Beulah- 6 Votes-36 Points
    5. Francine- 6 Votes-36 Points

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had Paul Heyman at #1 but that would probably change if I did it again just because most of his success came behind the scenes. It's not like Paul E. Dangerously's on screen run managing Sabu or whatever was all that memorable.
    Random: Forgot to mention it when discussing Rude yesterday but I realized Heyman was loyal to the guys he had previously managed. Tommy Rich (who Heyman managed in Memphis) and everybody in the Dangerous Alliance made at least one ECW appearance except for my man Larry Legend. And that's too bad. Larry Zbyszko going off on the mutant spudheads of Philadelphia would have been tremendous. ECW could have used more Austin Idol as well.

I had Joey Styles at #2 and would likely bump him up to #1 if I could do it over. He was such an important factor as the voice of ECW. I just can't imagine ECW with anybody other than Joey calling the action. Oh my god!

I had Fonzie at #3. Yeah, his last 3+ years in the company consisted of little more than feeding RVD chairs but his first two years were gold- first as a heel authority getting nuclear heat and then as Taz's manager. Early Fonzie ruled.

Joel Gertner was my #4. Loved him as the Dudleys annoying mouthpiece. You just wanted to see this fat fuck with his stupid neckbrace get his ass kicked. Then he developed a knack for dirty limericks. Wasn't crazy about his commentary though. Like Kilgore, I prefer Joey calling the action solo. That was his thing. But even latter day Gertner was mega over with the ECW fanbase. He was also a good straight ring announcer in the company's earlier days breaking out some quality Spanish when the situation warranted it.

Beulah was my #6. She played a big role in the legendary Raven/Dreamer feud and the Dudleys putting Beulah out of action got them even more heat. Plus there was that super fun Fonzie match. Beulah could take a beating and even busted out the occasional move. Definitely an important part of the ECW story.

I had Francine at #7. She had a sneaky good evolution from Stevie's shy fan to Pitbulls' Beastmaster to bitchy head cheerleader accompanying "The Franchise." Come to think of it, her progression was not unlike that of Woman in late 80s NWA. The Dreamer pairing didn't do much for me. She was a better fit as a heel. But she found her footing again with Credible in the dying days of ECW.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul E Dangerously- I had to have him at number 1 but in retrospect I should have included Eddie Gilbert on my list since his booking was also a huge influence on the company. Paul E certainly was the people's booker incoprating most of the cutting edge 90's culture into his shows. He also had wrestler's breaking the fourth wall whether it be 911 or New Jack interupting a lame match that the fan's were shitting on or all those work/shoot promos. Too bad his business acumen didn't match up with his wrestling mind.

Joey Styles- In my top 3 for best pure blow by blow guys in wrestling history. It says something when most people wanted him to continue to call the shows by himself after the rare occasion he would get a color commentator on board. At times Joey was his own color guy whether it would be taking shots at the big two or commenting on Francine's attire.

Joel (insert dirty nickname) Gertner- Great heat magnet, liked both his personas as both the Dudley's manager and poet and all the "creative" nicknames he had for himself.

Bill Alfonso- Took the Danny Davis gimmick to a new level. His anti-hardcore camapaign in the early days was perhaps another early "invasion" prototype. "Why was the geeky looking WWF referee intervening in all these ECW matches?" Still hate that damn whistle however.

Beulah- Could play the damsel in distress or the ass kicker equally well. Plus you couldn't ignore the sex appeal especially during her "Dreamer girls" phase. One of the most well rounded females I've ever seen, too bad she didn't stick with it longer.

Francine- I really liked how she carried herself after shedding the Stevie fan gimmick. She just personified that Philly attitude and backed it up with some great cat fighting skills. She could also take a table bump as well as most of the men on the roster.

1. Paul E Dangerously
    2. Joey Styles
    3. Bill Alfonso
    4. Beulah McGillicutty
    5. Woman
    6. Francine
    7. Joel Gertner
    8. Sign Guy
    9. Hat Guy
    10. Lenny from Long Island (aka Faith No More Guy)

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ECW was not Pro Wrestling it was Philly Bingo Hall 'Rassling- I can't believe that I forgot Paul. He was a cult leader. He would pace in the Eagle's nest-TOTALLY hyped-he had these guys/gals "primed." A joke I told my friend, Big Possum, was that the entire roster owed Carver W Reed< a "pawnshop" with a hidden back door> big money

"Hey-ahhhh Sabu we gave you a big bag of !@#$ last week. You must go through 5 tables and bleed 11 ounces----then you only us $45,ooo!"

Carver sold ECW tickets. I smelled like blood in there....I was REAL glad to get out of there with my pinkies AND ECW tickets.

Joey was #1. Big P and I would drink 12 doubles and run to my apartment----11 PM Tuesday was OH MY GOD night. We sat inches from the TV. We knew this was prime stuff. He would through in high-brow references-----Balls was reading The Atlantic Monthly in the locker-room......

Francine+Beulah+Fonzie were key to ECW's success. T+A+ a whistle blowing "rogue" meth-head ex-ref= One unholy Trinity

Gert was real sleazy. He was ALWAYS sweating......ALWAYS horny.....

Sign+Hat+Len were fun. They lived the role= SUPER MARKS TO INFINITY!
    "Don't break the Kayfabe"

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Francine: Of all the ECW ladies, I think Franny best represents ECW. First of all, she sounded so goddamned Philly. What a spectacular Philly accent she has. But she was also game to do, apparently, anything they asked her to do. She actually trained to be a wrestler before making her debut, so it was no wonder how she became the first female high spot bump taker. The Attitude Era really desentized the amount of abuse women were taking in wrestling, but when Francine was taking Total Elimination and a fucking Super Bomb, it was pretty uncommon. Sherri or Luna might take bumps, but they seemed better built for it. Francine always looked like she was about to be killed. Her and Shane were amazing together. One of my favorite Heel/Valet duos, maybe even my number one of all time. They were so great together. Shane knew how to put her over, with her coming out of first, holding out the ropes for the trademark ECW upskirt shot, and heart palpitations from the kiss. Then they would just troll crowds right up to the line where a riot may break out.

Beulah: Grunge Beulah, my god. Once she went with Tommy, she never worked quite as well for me. But as the spark for that feud, she was an essential part of ECW.

Bill Alfonso: The man who calls it right down the middle, daddy. I loved Fonzie, man, no matter what he did. The heel ref was obviously the peak, but even as the annoying manager of Taz/Sabu/RVD, he always cracked me up. I was watching an episode from 1996 a couple weeks back. Fonzie was talking about why he hates New York, and started listing all the things he hated, including "The Chinese food". Why? "It gives me the runs!" in that hilarious Fonzie voice. Fonzie can do no wrong in my eyes. I love watching an old NWA/WCW matches now and seeing a straight Bill Alfonso reffing. You would never have any idea what a madman lurks behind that bow tie.

Joel Gertner: The Quintessential Stud Muffin deserved so much more from wrestling. Baker touched on this, but Joel was a spectacular ring announcer. His voice, his cadence, his pronunciations, were better than everybody the WWF/E has hired since the Fink. Pre-Dudleys, Joel had a brief rogue ring announcer gimmick, where he would introduce some people better than others, which is a gimmick I would rip off if I was running a wrestling company. But the Dudleys was where the magic happened. Those epic 20 minute Dudley promos, where Joel would kick things off by getting everybody over, himself included, with the greatest middle names ever invented. Joel went from hated to beloved moment-to-moment. He was good with Joey too. I just hated change and wanted Joey to remain solo. Ring announcer, manager, commentator, voice over guy, Joel really could do it all, and he got almost nothing after ECW. Michael Cole is a millionaire. Life ain't fair.

Joey Styles: The voice of our beloved ECW. Joey was exceptionally good at his job. I'll concede that JR is the GOAT, but in the mid-90s, before JR and The King hit their stride during the Attitude Era, Joey Styles was greatest blow-by-blow commentator in wrestling. He surpassed JR for a couple years there. He actually knew the names of moves, which JR would get lazy on, and Tony Schiavone never gave a shit about it. Along with being a smartass, Joey was a great blow-by-blow and color commentator, all in one. Try to picture ECW without Joey Styles. It's impossible. After ECW folded, Joey would have been a hot commodity for other wrestling shows. Common thread there, but there weren't any other wrestling shows (MLW!), so Joey deserved better. I haven't seen his WWE run, but I know he apparently beat up Bradshaw, which is a hilarious thing to picture. Joey's hardcore.

Paul Heyman: I had Paul E. at #3 (Joey and Gertner ahead of him). He was a hard one to rank. He didn't do much, angle wise, after 1994, which is kind of odd in retrospect. Was it bad booking by Paul Heyman to keep Paul E. Dangerously mostly off television? Supplemental is so open-ended, though, that being on TV isn't necessarily a prerequisite. From 1994-1997, he was the best booker in America, with a fraction of the budget of WWF/WCW. 1998-2000, he was still pretty damned good. That certainly counts. I won't complain about Paul E. as number one.
    Last edited by Kilgore; 05-02-2017 at 07:40 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the reunion show I got a Polaroid w/ Sabu +Fonzie. Sabu had to chase Fonz down---C'mon Bill we have a PAYING customer. I'll post the picture some day. I asked Bill about the Beulah blood-letting match- I was there-THE BLOODIEST match I have ever seen....

"Yeah, Daddy, she caught me with the edge of the cookie sheet. I was on speed, I lost 1/5 of my blood Daddy!"

LOVE FONZIE! Always will.
    "Don't break the Kayfabe"

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was my list, probably should have put Joey Styles a little higher and I didn't include any of the super fans. One of the fans that should have probably made it was Tony Lewis, the guy that ran StrictlyECW.com. I put Paul E at the top beause it was like instantly as soon as he got there in 1993 shit got real, he made an instant impact even as just an on screen manager/ocassional commentator, then as a bookerman. He phased himself off screen gradually but every once in a while he would cut a promo to promote some match or feud and it was just money, one of my favorites was the promo he cut to explain the Sabu vs Taz feud sometime in 1996. Love his voice as a narrator for the ECW PPV commercials back in the day; "What happens... when there are no rules... no boundaries... EVERY MAN IS OUT FOR HIMSELF!".

Kilgore is right about Gertner, not only was he great at all the things he said but also was fluent in Spanish, blows my mind that nothing really became of him after ECW died. Dudley Boys without him in WWE was just like something major was missing. Loved Gertner on commentary with Joey on TNN.

LOVED Cyrus as the Network stooge and Sinister Minister was one of my favorite things about ECW there in the end, those promos he would cut were great.

Tommy Rich is pure comedy gold to me, can't really explain why but it's like everything he does makes me laugh, the way he heckles the fans, his promos, little things he does like when the fans where throwing the mannequin heads into the ring at the FBI in one of those videos he tries to kick one and slips and falls down and sells his back like a goofball.

My non wrestler top 10 is all over the place, should have definitely put Fonzie and Styles up higher, should have put Francine over Beulah, should have also put Rick Rude on there.

1. Paul Heyman
    2. Joel Gertner
    3. Beulah
    4. Francine
    5. Cyrus
    6. The Sinister Minister
    7. Bill Alphonso
    8. Joey Styles
    9. Tommy Rich
    10. Todd Gordon
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 05-03-2017 at 07:01 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of Tony Lewis, I was able to find StrictlyECW.com on the wayback machine from like February 2001, this is an article "From the desk of Tony Lewis" about the death of ECW:

From the Desk of...
    January 29, 2001
    by Tony Lewis

I figure I'd better get over this particularly nasty case of "Cleveland-Lisanti" disease, and finally write a column.

Actually, I had started about six columns from the last one I wrote in December, and actually finished one of them. Unfortunately, things kept happening that made those columns moot. So this will be the timeliest
    column I've written in a while.

It's the aftermath of the Super Bowl, and I have this sick, empty feeling in the pit of my stomach. I am a staunch New York Giants fan, and to see them get absolutely STOMPED, is depressing. I don't feel like
    saying that just because they got to the dance, that was "good enough". It's not. One of the things repeated by the Giants during Super Bowl week was the notion of the "fear of losing". The Giants' Glenn Parker is a veteran of Super Bowl futility, being a former Buffalo Bill (I guess he's used to it by now). He said that it's an "empty feeling" to lose the Super Bowl. I know how he feels, because that's how I feel right now...empty. They were very good this season, but not good enough to go all the way and be ultimately successful.

Rumors have been going around since last night (Saturday, January 27th) that ECW may be bought out by World Wrestling Federation Entertainment. Normally, I don't speculate on rumors of such magnitude, and I don't really wish to start now. I don't want to talk about the ramifications of such a prospect. I don't want to talk about the possibilities. I don't want to talk about the pros. I don't want to talk about the cons.
    I want to talk about how I'd feel, as a longtime ECW fan if such a deal went down.

I'd feel as empty as I feel right now.

I'm not speaking as Tony Lewis, Director of Operations for Strictly ECW. I'm speaking as a man who trekked to Bensalem, Pennsylvania on a cold January morning in 1993 to get my first taste of ECW. I'm speaking as a man who called and called and continued to call a hotline number in NYC to find out when tickets were going on sale for a TV taping at Lost Battalion Hall...finally finding out, at 2am no less, that tickets would be going on sale that morning. Then deciding NOT to go to sleep, get up and out of the house early and go all the way downtown to buy the tickets. I'm speaking strictly as a fan.

I feel that the Giants could have won, and SHOULD have won the Super Bowl, but the conditions weren't right. This is almost like ECW's situation. ECW could have been in a better position. They SHOULD have been in a better position. But they aren't. And they are probably faced with a situation where they may have to rely on outside help from someone who is a direct competitor. Regardless of ECW's relationship with the Federation, and regardless of what Paul Heyman may say about the Federation...they ARE the competition. I know...you can't totally compare ECW's situation to that of a football team. If you lose the Super Bowl, you regroup and try to come back the next season. ECW is a
    business, and if the business fails...you catch my drift.

Mind you...I have not said that this would be a BAD thing. If the company stays alive...GREAT! But what company would it be? Would it be the company with its own identity? Would it be the company that
    revolutionized pro-wrestling in this country? Would it be the company that gave the WWF the creative blueprint for its massive success? Or would it be "WWF Lite"?

THIS is what worries me as a fan of ECW.

I am a fan. But I am also a realist. I am a man who goes out to work five days a week (sometimes six), and has bill coming to the house every month...ON TIME. I can understand the pressure on Paul Heyman. I can understand the pressure on his workers. Paul Heyman has an obligation to his workers (talent and staff alike) to do the best he can for them, just as the workers have an obligation to their families to do the same. If that means selling to the WWF, then so be it. Some fans would love it. Some would hate it. Paul can't worry about that right now. He has to do what he has to do, and let the chips fall where they may. Sure, if Heyman MUST sell...then maybe we'd like it to be to an outside entity. But in Vince McMahon's defense, if Heyman must sell...maybe it WOULD be beneficial to sell to someone that UNDERSTANDS wrestling.

But right now, all I know is what I feel.

Remember, I'm not saying that these rumors are true. But if they are, I'd feel that ECW didn't get to grab the brass ring on their own. Just like the Giants...they came to the dance to win, but fell short. Maybe over time, I'll feel better about it (that is, IF it's sold to McMahon). But my immediate feeling will be exactly what I feel right now.

Empty.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damn, that tony lewis email was sad to read. i don't know what my mindset was back then, as i didn't follow behind the scenes much, but everyone knew there was money problems. something i feel about the last few months of ecw, was that it was getting really good. super crazy and spike were back, cw anderson and corino were stepping up. unholy alliance was great. jerry lynn heel turn probably wasn't gonna go anywhere, but things were heating up again. taz and dudleys showing up was kinda a "something ain't right" moment, but i thought living dangerously 2000 would've kicked ass. haven't been much into wrestling since. the world missed out on a potential future of ecw.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what made joey styles a great announcer to me was that he really sold all the feuds and heels. he made taz seem evil, and had raven , shane douglas , and dudleys the worst humans in existence. the "hardcore divisions" and most hardcore matches since have had announcers joking and laughing at everything. granted the wrestlers don't take shit seriously. take the dudleys/mustapha-balls/axl/new jack cage match or the sabu/sandman stairway to hell. joey says that it's hard to watch and made it seem like someone was going to die. that's how you sell a match.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strictly Tony was a good dude. I was sad, but not that sad. Especially at that point. The January of 2001 "ECW is dead" rumors only felt slightly more real than the 1999 ones. There were strong rumors in the first half of 1999. I remember this well because I had Harcore Heaven tickets and expected ECW to fold before I ever got to an ECW PPV. That seemed like my luck. They didn't, and the TNN deal a couple months later temporarily saved them. ECW being dead was a slow burn for me. After a month of no shows, it got real. Then another one. I wasn't sure it was actually dead until I saw Paul E. on Raw, which was a kick in the balls. I can't imagine what it felt like to ECW employees.

ECW folding felt a little like putting an injured horse down at that point. But it was a bummer.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to third the Tony Lewis love. He came across as just a real chill guy....a superfan with no ego devoted to his beloved ECW. He quietly did a lot for the company- Set up ECW's #1 fansite. Organized bus trips. Probably did a bunch of other stuff I'm not even aware of. I'm sure I interacted with him online once or twice. Just hope I wasn't a jerk as I tended to be in those days.

Thread Information