Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does ADHD exist?

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Does ADHD exist?

ADHD is 20 times more likely to be diagnosed in the United States than it is in the rest of the world. In the US as many as over 1 in 10 kids are diagnosed with it. Boys are diagnosed 3 to 1. There is no physical evidence to back up the chemical imbalance in the brain. Companies that sell legal speed love it and profit greatly off of it. Is this what fuels this American phenomenon that targets young boys? Is it the big pharmaceutical companies making a buck? Only 60% of children will have ADHD into adulthood. What happens to the rest? Fall off of mom and dad's insurance and start alternative medications? Find they can function fine outside of an old school system and the career world is a better fit than school world? A Dr wrote an article for Time magazine questioning that ADHD didn't exist. And in France ADHD is exceedingly rare.

I know every parent and every patient is going to claim their case is real and they were not one of the 1000's that may be over diagnosed. But it is fair to say it is over diagnosed. A condition that has no physical marker that could possibly be handled with a different education system? Maybe. But ask yourself if maybe just maybe you got duped by big pharma.
    I am your God

Space Invaders Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Does ADHD exist?

This question is not new. I personally subscribe to Thomas Szasz's belief that there is no objective method of diagnosing most mental illnesses and disorders.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got diagnosed a few years ago. I generally find myself to be fidgety and easily distractable, but I went through high school, college, and a few jobs not worrying about that too much. Then I got my current job which is paper work intensive and I was making tiny mistakes a lot and they'd haunt me. So I decided to give the meds a shot after resisting the idea for at least fifteen years after I realized that I could barely recall things that were spoken to me minutes earlier.

I could've been fine without the medications, of that I have no doubt. I don't think I would've reached my full potential without the meds, but I would've been a perfectly fine employee and skated by.

I do think a lot of kids with ADHD is a concern that stems from poor parenting that wants a child to act less impulsively thank a child normally is.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I got diagnosed a few years ago. I generally find myself to be fidgety and easily distractable, but I went through high school, college, and a few jobs not worrying about that too much. Then I got my current job which is paper work intensive and I was making tiny mistakes a lot and they'd haunt me. So I decided to give the meds a shot after resisting the idea for at least fifteen years after I realized that I could barely recall things that were spoken to me minutes earlier.

I could've been fine without the medications, of that I have no doubt. I don't think I would've reached my full potential without the meds, but I would've been a perfectly fine employee and skated by.

I do think a lot of kids with ADHD is a concern that stems from poor parenting that wants a child to act less impulsively thank a child normally is.
    Do you have bouts of depression to go along with it? The one person who had the most convincing case of a disorder like this had wicked paralyzing depression. Like, I am just not going to leave the room depression.
    I am your God

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My stepson was diagnosed before I came into his life. He's also borderline dyslexic. Until I came along, his dad was determined to keep him off meds. So his education suffered. A 2nd grader with the reading and math skills of a kindergartener. He refuses to sit still. He acts impulsively and angers easily. And I mean, he started throwing books across the room just because the teacher told him to sit down in his seat and finish his work. It wasn't until he was held back in 2nd grade that my fiance agreed to let him try medication.

He's in 5th grade now with my daughter. Been on adderall since 3rd grade. For my observations, and that of his teachers, it's worked wonders. His behavior has improved greatly and now he actually focuses on the task at hand and doesn't have to be redirected multiple times by his teacher just to get one sentence on his paper. His grades have improved as well.

Sadly he is still far behind his classmates in terms of reading, math and writing skills. I do believe he has a learning disability but doctors are hesitant to diagnose it. He's just barely over the line for dyslexia. So for the time being we just have to work harder with him to get him to grasp what is being taught to him.

Maybe many kids are misdiagnosed. I do believe my stepson is adhd though. Medication has saved his education thus far, though.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not often paralyzingly, but depression sure.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Work with people that have it, and this thread wouldn't need to exist

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really just don't think kids should be taking these drugs that are fucking with their developing brains. My sons mom and I had a pretty big falling out over this, I see it as a big scam that these doctors are making money doping kids up and fucking them up as part of a big pharmaceutical scam. My son was on this crap and it was giving him severe nose bleeds and really fucking with the way he acted, kids should be kids, every single person's brain is wired differently, just because someone doesn't fit the criteria for what is normal doesn't mean there is a problem that needs to be fixed(with drugs that do more harm than good).

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was diagnosed with ADHD and Aspergers. Was told the ADHD is completely treatable with Atomoxetine.

Sadly, though, I have bad experiences with side effects of prescribed meds for depression and the like, so I won't be taking it any time soon.

Smoking weed helps with the majority of my symptoms, of which anxiety is the absolute worst, but can evaporate in seconds after a few puffs of the right joint.

Is it real? I dunno, but once I was diagnosed, and read up on both ADHD and Aspergers, it explains a lot of my behaviour and and reactions to shitty situations.

In one sense I am lucky because the two sorta level each other out to where I can function to a relatively normal level, but my head is a messed up place at the best of times to say the least.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

The Voices, they scream Mr. Canoe's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I do believe ADD/ADHD does exist but it is very grossly overly diagnosed. I think parents try and blame ADHD for poor parenting. They rant at the doctors about how their kid is hyper active and can't focus while the kid is sitting there drinking a extra large slurpee and staring at an Ipad. Most "ADHD" in kids would go away simply by cutting down on all the sugar and fast food and getting the kids active. Nicole Arbour did a video just recently where she makes some good points about exactly this. Her personally a litttle hard to get threw but she does make good points In Grade 1 my teacher told my parents that I needed to be on Ritalin. They looked at the teacher and said "No he's 7, 7 year old boy's are hyper active" and the funny part is when I tell people who know me that they laugh because i'm the exact opposite of hyper active

Last edited by Mr. Canoe; 05-07-2017 at 02:54 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really fun fact about ADHD, if you did have the symptoms when you were 12 or younger you cannot have it. Until a few years back you needed to have symptoms by age 6.
    Also the criteria to have it and symptoms change with age. I support psychology, but when you have a condition that can literally have completely different symptoms five years apart and assumes children have better self-regulation than adults, I start to question who is writing the diagnostics.

For how these diagnostics criteria get written, it is often through literally screaming and hate filled papers. Practicing psychologists were cut out and researchers who careers were at stake being had pissing contests. It was a nightmare. Removing Aspergers caused years of fights.

And many doctors agree, ADHD and Autism are so widely seen today, based on the changes to the diagnostic criteria, not to any changes in actual behavior.

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/printpdf/158043
    http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/arti...sm-v-mind-made

Also I believe DSM-IV and in particular the DSM-IV-TR is where you want to look for what happened. Not sure what changed but odds are between the DSM-III and DSM-IV major changes were made, and thus a false epidemic was born.

Assuming ADHD exists, it would need to be confirmed with fMRI to confirm excitation and lack of memory formation. If it exists lets see the hyperactivity and lack of attention in the brain itself. Tech is not there yet though and behavior traits listed seem to be normal behaviors for children.

For a short time I was diagnosed ADHD and given Atomoxetine. Started my research into abuse of statistics in psychology then. Was reading a book a night or slamming out 50 page drafts of papers. Took my three hardest undergrad courses together and got a 4.0 that semester. Then remembering I am bi-polar which better explains the symptoms, Dr said no more ADHD and no more meds to make me super focused.
    Last edited by Engel; 05-07-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe new studies have shown that drugs for ADD/ADHD like Adderall can lead to psychosis down the road. That's scary to think of, considering how many people take it. I've even taken it myself.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No! It's made up. Excuse for not being a real parent and discipling your kids. "My kid isn't a flat out undisciplined dick, he has ADHD". Crap parent! My sister's kids are all "ADHD" despite the fact that her husband may be the most disconnected father ever and my sister spends 24/7 on f#cking facebook! Bad parents not ADHD.
    You call it a problem. I call it a solution.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's possible for both things to be true: that ADHD exists and that sometimes it's misdiagnosed. Kids act up for attention and get drugged for sure. That doesn't disprove the other thing.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is what I think as well. The current diagnosis is not right, and I believe this is two disorders. Attention Deficit is real. It deals with a lot of focus shifting that has huge implications in education. So ADD I agree is a thing, but the diagnosis is wrong. It needs to focus on attention and memory.

Hyperactive is the part that I have issue with. That should be a separate disorder if it is a disorder at all. I am not convinced this is not really just normative behavior.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or a good smack in the ass could cure everything. Too much coddling.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was how the Puritans cured epilepsy wasn't it?

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does ADHD exist? Yes. Is it way over diagnosed? Absolutely. For cases like Mistress' step child, the drug can do wonders. The drug actually has the opposite effect on those that truly have ADHD than everyone else. Therefore, for some kids its a med, for others its basically dope. Sadly, those that are misdiagnosed often end up having drug issues as young adults. Of course, big pharma blames parenting. Bad parenting is often the cause of a bad ADHD diagnosis. Another American catch 22 caused by big money.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    That was how the Puritans cured epilepsy wasn't it?
    Nice overreach! Kudos on that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming View Post
    Nice overreach! Kudos on that.
    Considering your ADHD is made up evidence is based on your sister's kids, it's like an overreach olympics in here.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Considering your ADHD is made up evidence is based on your sister's kids, it's like an overreach olympics in here.
    My sisters kids are assholes! The ADHD prognosis is an excuse for bad parenting. Call it ADHD and you are off the hook for not paying attention. Blame the kid, not the parent.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or they call it ADHD becuase ADHD is something that exists and lots of parents struggle with on a daily basis. Are there asshole kids and parents, absolutely. It's people like you Merle that make it hard for kids who really have ADHD to get properly diagnosed because "They're just assholes" "They have bad parents"

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ADHD is a real thing that exists but is probably wrongly diagnosed, like OCD it Asperger's Syndrome. The sadder thing with ADHD is it's wrongly diagnosed by many medical physicians, as where OCD or Asperger's is something a person wrongly diagnosed themselves with after reading an internet article.

It can be a sloppy mess.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OCD is real. One of the few disorders where psychosurgery is still an option. Hit the internal capsule with radiation or implant a deep stimulation device in the brain and many with OCD improve.

My dad's ward for years was psychogenic polydipsia, many who suffered from OCD. They would compulsively drink water to the point of it poisoning them and destroying their kidneys. They have crazy obsession with needing fluids and many would drink their own piss if they could cup it.
    Last edited by Engel; 05-18-2017 at 08:20 PM.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His point was that frequently people misdiagnose themselves with OCD.

Thread Information